• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

DTS DCH Driver for Realtek HDA [DTS:X APO4 + DTS Interactive]

Quick install guide:

1. Remove all previous drivers, use pnputil (see post 1) or other, make sure to remove all extensions (look for Realtek, A-Volute, Sonic studio).
2. Make sure the device is 'missing' (not there) from 'Device Manager', there should be no Realtek devices.

3. [Optional], run a registry cleaner 2-3 times, to cleanup residual registry entries.

4. Double click 'Install' (not right click), Main: DTS Interactive:X on SPDIF, Alternative: Stereo on SPDIF.
5. [Optional], install the provided 'DTS Full Policy' or 'No Panel Policy' (see post 1), if needed.

6. Reboot.

----

You only need to install the policy once, once installed, you do not need to re-install it.

----

Optional files:

DTS Settings: Used to program other audio devices (not Realtek), on the system, such as GPU (HDMI), or to swap SPDIF to stereo (video).
External Speakers: Used to program SPDIF and also HDMI with the form factor 'Speakers', in order to use stereo.

View attachment 253123
View attachment 253124

DTS Settings: Once working, repeat apply the .reg file to make sure.
In some cases, open Regedit with FX, then import then .reg.

----

I will make a guide to convert 'External Speakers' to 'Headphones' soon.
Thank you for sharing. It sounds a little bit clear, but there are some confusing parts to the operation; Can the first step text + picture; Step 2 Text description + Picture...... Installation tutorials like this make it easy to understand and operate. Thanks again and look forward to your tutorial.

Edit the .xml file found in: C:\Windows\System32\DTS\PC\APO4x, stop windows audio service, stop DTS service, then restart in the same order.

You will to copy-edit-replace the file, a backup is within the driver install folder (or make a backup copy).

You will see form factor (Internal, External, and Headphones), then each mode per form factor.

----

The default for multichannel is 'External' - 'Music', as set at the top of the .xml file, it will also utilize the multichannel tech system.

====

There is also per mode EQ's for stereo (top left of the app), if that helps.

Last edited:
How can make my own spatial audio app like dolby access or dts sound unbound.?

@Ferather can you contact dts if they can help to build our own spatial audio app like dts sound unbound

You could build a VST or app for E-APO, E-APO will give you SFX, MFX, and even SFX, EFX. If you master that you could essentially build one.

The end result would be like Boom3D, but instead you add it directly to the device, via SFX, MFX, EFX.

The older app essentially bypasses licensing, the new versions are different. There is also two main license types for DTS drivers.
DTS Audio Processing, DTS X Ultra, normally the provisioned app will validate the device and files on install.

Sound Unbound only drivers, should still have a preset.xml and .lic file.

----

Personally I purchased the retail version from the store, its valid on up to 10 computers (unlimited sound devices).

Last edited:
i tried dolby access and dts sound unbound, dolby has larger room ,its sound is brighter.
the only thing i liked about dts sound unbound is natural sound.

Last edited:
Both are third party apps like Boom3D and are not strictly related to the driver (you can also buy the apps from the store and use on any random device, driver).
In terms of the driver and what I can do about it, only the preset.xml, the APO technology comes as it is, I can only program the DTS X Ultra side.

====

Realtek S1220-A with Crystal Sound 3 chip, is a nice upgrade from my old 889. No policy needed, simply install the driver and go, I'm using optical (DTS).

Since I use only 5.1, and never use analogue or stereo, I changed SFX in the preset.xml to: "Any" "Stereo".
By default I turned it off, as it causes a small delay with the stereo (2CH) tech.

1658822219067.png

Last edited:
System Name Metal-Tom-PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Extreme
Cooling Boxed with RGB
Memory Mushkin DDR4 32 GB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX580 4GB
Storage 1x M2-SSD @256GB/1x Intenso SATA-SSD @120GB/1x Intenso SATA-SSD @240GB/2x WD10EZRX @1TB/1,5 TB HDD
Display(s) 1x Samsung QE43Q60B (TV)/1x Samsung S27B80P/1x Hanns-G FHD
Case Thermaltake Kandalf LCS
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220A
Power Supply Phanteks Revolt Pro Gold 80+ 1000W
Mouse Logitech M210
Keyboard Logitech MX5500 Revolution
Software Win 11 Pro x64 v24H2
Its a bit complicated to explain, for what you need, you would need to modify the 'External Speakers' package.
You will also need to make a duplicate, to switch back, which is easier to do than explain.

Speakers is a whole lot of 0 then 01, and Headphones is 02 in terms of Registry ID.
The package comes with a guide for its intended purpose (SPDIF).

----

The package edits the registry on startup, changing SPDIF to speakers for 'External Speakers' in the app, then back to SPDIF.
This tricks DTS into detecting speakers (01) instead of SPDIF (08), without breaking anything (switched back to 08).

----

In terms of multichannel (DTS has two operating technologies), you don't need 'External Speakers' to show in the app.
That includes multichannel SPDIF (DTS Interactive), to use the stereo tech, you do need 'Speakers'.

I use the 'External Speakers' package anyway, in case I want to switch techs.

----

An example of the two technologies can be seen in the 'preset.xml' (feel free to edit), where there is EFX-Eagle, EFX_51-Helios.
EFX is used directly with the stereo tech, where EFX_51 stands for multichannel (5.1 minimum for multichannel).

I have re-programmed the files, to increase quality and reduce delay, all you need to do is edit form factor.

Note: EFX_51 currently supports up to 12 channel PCM (5.1, 7.1, 11.1).

----

A side note (driver selection: Main), SPDIF specifically has been setup with EFX_51, and set to 6 channels (5.1).
It also supports 7.1, over 5.1 (2 virtual side) using the front to rear setup (not front and side setup).

In games and audio applications, you can output 7.1 if the audio is 7.1.

Hi
Where can I download the EFX_51.exe?

@Metal-Tom, EFX_51 is built into the DTS APO, its an EFX key that you add (already on SPDIF), you also edit the features in the preset.xml (DTS-Helios, multichannel).
The keys are provided with the driver in the 'Tools' folder, alternatively you can edit and use the 'DTS Settings' .reg file.

For example, to add EFX_51 to analogue (lets say you use 5.1-7.1 always), edit the Multichannel.reg.

See the post above for the quick guide and video for 'DTS Settings'.

====

S1220-A with Crystal Sound 3 chip, very nice chip, it appears to be a pre-dsp (PCM) and sounds like it applies to SPDIF, it includes de-pop and other features.
Better bass, symbols, and clearer voice, this is compared to ALC 889 - same drivers, same Windows version, same apps.

Audio (PCM) > Crystal Sound 3 > Interfaces | It seems like

Last edited:
Also it would be useful to have 2 x DTS Sound Unbound for DTS X HT and that spatial thingy, simultaneously. I have much to show you little Chosen One.

System Name Metal-Tom-PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Extreme
Cooling Boxed with RGB
Memory Mushkin DDR4 32 GB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX580 4GB
Storage 1x M2-SSD @256GB/1x Intenso SATA-SSD @120GB/1x Intenso SATA-SSD @240GB/2x WD10EZRX @1TB/1,5 TB HDD
Display(s) 1x Samsung QE43Q60B (TV)/1x Samsung S27B80P/1x Hanns-G FHD
Case Thermaltake Kandalf LCS
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220A
Power Supply Phanteks Revolt Pro Gold 80+ 1000W
Mouse Logitech M210
Keyboard Logitech MX5500 Revolution
Software Win 11 Pro x64 v24H2
I have a new PC, but am busy with work at this time, I might look into it in a few months if you have not already done so.
Could I see ya new Specs pls? I wanna know it xD

Rumor and/or winds of the East whisper that he runs Linux. And he does not regret it.

@Metal-Tom, Its a mid-range to high end 1080p rig, not bothering too much with 4K with the screen size. Sure if I had a 60 inch display I should consider more pixels.
1080p @ 24 inches, will have a higher def due to the size of the pixels, where 1080p @ 60 inches produces larger pixels (bigger squares).

The human eye has a limit on how much fps you can see, most video standards are @ 60hz (60 fps).
Soon I am upgrading my monitor to a 32 inch 1000R 1080p @ 165hz (165 fps).

1659181949655.png
1659184003245.png
1659184692010.png

The audio device is an ALC S1220-A with Crystal Sound 3 chip.

----

Mordhau, set at absolute max @ 1080p, Vsync on (75hz, 75fps): CPU 20%, GPU 96%, VRAM 80%. Sticks at 75 fps, no drops.

----

@emanresu, that Lubuntu machine is a backup-secondary device I use to help with Android ROM's, mostly for my own phone.

Last edited:
I have a theory:
the Bigger the Speaker
the Better.

Listen to Dj3vil1 - SHiT MiX 1h20min - RMSTR 2022 UMC JD 7.1M V0.967 - 96.32.WAV [DL] by RMSTR on #SoundCloud