• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

be quiet! Silent Wings Pro 4 120 mm PWM Fan

"Peak fan" keeps getting better, but the improvements are minute and infrequent. Decade-old "peak fans" are still 96% as good or something like that. Even some budget fans are contenders at 600-1000rpm.

The last decade has mostly been RGBLED bullshit and marketing guff.
@Chrispy_ What do you like these days for SPCR-spec quiet? My 5v undervolted 1200rpm S-Flex and Slipstreams (resulting in ~650 rpm iirc) are so vintage now, like mechtech’s, that I’m reluctant to use them in a very belated new build.

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX. Water block. Crossflashed.
Storage Optane 900P[Fedora] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO+SN560 1TB(W11)
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) SMSL RAW-MDA1 DAC
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 41
I got my T30 for 28€ each...

The pricing for these seems way off... at least 20-25€...

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
@Chrispy_ What do you like these days for SPCR-spec quiet? My 5v undervolted 1200rpm S-Flex and Slipstreams (resulting in ~650 rpm iirc) are so vintage now, like mechtech’s, that I’m reluctant to use them in a very belated new build.
If money is no object, buy the 3-pack of T30, which are the same price as these Silent Wings 4 Pro fans. They match the SWP4 fans in terms of noise-noirmalised performance in a high-restriction scenario, but they do so at a lower RPM, which means the pitch of that noise is actually lower, even if it reads the same on a decibel meter. In terms of balance at high speeds, both the T30 and SWP fans seem excellent, but that's not really an issue at low-rpm.

For the same money as the SW4P fans, you get Sunon maglev bearings which allow the fan to start at lower speeds than the FDB bearings of the SWP4 fans and ought to remain sounding "as new" almost forever, you get a wider RPM range, a semi-passive mode that shuts off below 500RPM, and daisy-chainable connectors which helps to eliminate some spaghetti.

It's a shame VSG only tests noise levels on a radiator, because from what I've read of other comparisons, the T30 outperforms everything, no exceptions, as a low-restriction case fan.

As for budget options, the Pure Wings 2 is still excellent as a case fan and damn-near silent below 750RPM, and the Arctic P12 PWM is also excellent at low RPM levels for an even lower price but you have to be careful not to run it at a resonant frequency, the first significant one is 1000RPM which is above the SPCR-spec noise floor, and therefore irrelevant anyway.

Honestly, for budget builds I go P12 PWM the whole way and just set fan curves that stay below 900rpm. In a modern case with 4-7 fans in it, 900rpm is enough airflow to completely cycle the whole case volume in under 1 second, even at a pitiful 20cfm per intake fan. For more general builds I still prefer to use the PW2 because it's very cheap, looks nice, and is a consistently quiet performer at a wide range of speeds and applications, despite being chart topping in any way. For a third the price of a T30 or SW4 that's a tradeoff I'm willing to make.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
It's a shame VSG only tests noise levels on a radiator, because from what I've read of other comparisons, the T30 outperforms everything, no exceptions, as a low-restriction case fan.
Fan reviews were part of the watercooling review category before W1zz decided to make it their own. I can't change my testing platform simply because of that, and tbh I don't have that much time anyway.

643 RPM at the lowest is way too high IMO.
Even if the fan itself is inaudible at that speed (and that's a big IF), the air hitting the mesh/radiator can be audible.

I think any fan that wants to compete the silent category should have a minimum speed of less than 500 RPM, ideally less than 300 RPM.

Arctic fans are pretty good for the money. The packs they sell are great to just have around.
The Arctic F12/P12 fans I bought are the worst fans I've ever used. I think I bought 5 of them and every single one of them had a clearly audible resonant noise at certain RPMs, making them unusable for quiet operation at variable speeds. They were also shaking a lot when running fast, no way I'd put them on a CPU tower cooler.

Maybe I was just unlucky, but what are the odds, really?
Then again, I do have a couple of smaller Arctics that work fine, so maybe it's #NotAllArctics after all.

Inaudible should be a must. Noisy fans such as the Arctic BioniX 120 should be banned with a law.
BioniX are mostly same as P/F series, just allowing higher RPMs. At same RPM they sounds pretty much same. Just like this SW Pro 4. You can control it with PWM and use it only in some scenarios when needed.

The Arctic F12/P12 fans I bought are the worst fans I've ever used. I think I bought 5 of them and every single one of them had a clearly audible resonant noise at certain RPMs, making them unusable for quiet operation at variable speeds.
Don't have with my P12. Do you have CO or non-CO?

Don't have with my P12. Do you have CO or non-CO?
Non-CO.
I found a recording of this noise, because it's been mentioned elsewhere:
It starts at around 7:20 in that video. (It then goes away after he switches to a higher speed.)

But it's not exclusive to Arctic. I've heard it on some new Scythe fans as well, just that it wasn't as extreme.
I think it's the new bearings that these fans use, because I don't remember ever hearing it on old simple sleeve bearing fans. They had ticking and scratchy sounds, but never this resonant noise at specific RPMs. Or maybe it's just poor QC and then it's down to luck.

Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Fan reviews were part of the watercooling review category before W1zz decided to make it their own. I can't change my testing platform simply because of that, and tbh I don't have that much time anyway.
Radiator testing is more useful because that's a worst-case scenario anyway.

As a hinted at earlier, case fans don't need to be too special these days unless you're considering a cramped SFF box because most modern cases typically have great unrestricted airflow and as long as the motor doesn't tick or growl at low speed just about any fan will do provided you complement the case with a full load of fans and limit them to speeds you cannot hear.

The Arctic F12/P12 fans I bought are the worst fans I've ever used. I think I bought 5 of them and every single one of them had a clearly audible resonant noise at certain RPMs, making them unusable for quiet operation at variable speeds. They were also shaking a lot when running fast, no way I'd put them on a CPU tower cooler.

Then again, I do have a couple of smaller Arctics that work fine, so maybe it's #NotAllArctics after all.
I only buy Arctic P12 PWM PST models, the 5-packs at that, since they're under €30 a pack which is a bargain. There are so many models that it's important to specify exactly which one. I've used older Arctic fans that were awful in multiple ways, so it's not like the company can do no harm, they just happened to have stumbled into a decent design for those P12 PWM PST models.

They are still terrible choices for CPU coolers - that's where you spend your money on something carefully balanced and quiet through a wide RPM range. There's too much flex in the heatpipes to afford anything vibrating or wobbling attached to them, and by the nature of CPU cooling you're going to need higher RPMs anyway.

As case fans they're no worse than many other cheaper fans, including some costing double or more but the resonance is likely the 4-pole motor at certain frequencies. There's a very faint one at 850rpm and a much stronger on at 1000rpm, but realistically the 850rpm one is irrelevant since the air noise is already dominant at that point. For use at under about 55% PWM, they're effectively in the same ballpark as fans costing 5x more. Again, I'm not really claiming that P12 PWM are the best fans on the market, just that when you need 6 or 7 of them for a build, you can do much worse than them and they're honestly indistinguishable from expensive options below 950rpm where the speed isn't fast enough to reveal their lack of precision balance, or push it to the point where it resonates/hums.

For builds where there's a 250W+ GPU in the case I'm going to buy SW2 fans. They're quieter than average jack-of-all-trades at a reasonable price and make a pleasant noise when they're spinning at 1200rpm, even if they're not silent at that point. For relatively cheap fans, the hundreds I've bought all seem to be very well balanced for the money.

Last edited:

ARF

BioniX are mostly same as P/F series, just allowing higher RPMs. At same RPM they sounds pretty much same. Just like this SW Pro 4. You can control it with PWM and use it only in some scenarios when needed.

I will not control anything - already threw them in the garbage where they belong ;)

It starts at around 7:20 in that video. (It then goes away after he switches to a higher speed.)
Totally inaudiable. You won't hear it inside the chassis. Still, it's 9 V. Did you try using PWM instead?

As case fans they're no worse than many other cheaper fans, including some costing double or more but the resonance is likely the 4-pole motor at certain frequencies. There's a very faint one at 850rpm and a much stronger on at 1000rpm, but realistically the 850rpm one is irrelevant since the air noise is already dominant at that point. For use at under about 55% PWM, they're effectively in the same ballpark as fans costing 5x more. Again, I'm not really claiming that P12 PWM are the best fans on the market, just that when you need 6 or 7 of them for a build, you can do much worse than them and they're honestly indistinguishable from expensive options below 950rpm where the speed isn't fast enough to reveal their lack of precision balance, or push it to the point where it resonates/hums.
Just checked, mine were F12. Maybe they use a different motor, but I doubt it.
In my case the very much audible resonance/hum was there even at 500 RPM. Then it would disappear at like 550 RPM and then come back at 600 RPM and so on. Each fan had different "problem RPMs" with different noise intensities.

If it wasn't for that specific noise and the vibration, I'd give those fans a good rating. As it is, however, they were a big disappointment for me. Cheap or not cheap, they were unusable.
But as I said, it's possible that I had a bad batch. And most people probably aren't as sensitive to noise as I am or don't have quiet rooms.

Totally inaudiable. You won't hear it inside the chassis. Still, it's 9 V. Did you try using PWM instead?
That's not me in the video, I only used PWM. And I could most definitely hear it inside the case.

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
Memory 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Trio
Storage Too much
Display(s) Acer Predator XB3 27" 240 Hz
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Topping DX5, DCA Aeon II
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10

It depends on how you mounted the fans. For example, I recently purchased a Notcua NH-D15 for use with my 7700X and was getting an awful resonant noise with the Noctua fans. Switching them from pull to push fixed it completely. It was odd, given I've purchase so many Noctua fans and never had the issue.

For case fans the thickness of case material, how tightly you screw in the fans, whether the fans have rubber vibration dampeners, and what kind of screws you are using can all impact resonant noise. Heck as you said it might even be back luck.

System Name Donnager
Processor 13900KS, lapped and contact frame
Motherboard Asus Z790 Hero
Cooling Heatkiller IV CPU block, Heatkiller V GPU block, GTX 480mm radiator, D5 pump
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury 7200C38
Video Card(s) eVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3
Storage Optane 380GB M.2 OS drive, M.2 2TB game drive
Display(s) Alienware 34" Ultrawide 120Hz 3440x1440
Case Fractal Meshify 2 XL
Audio Device(s) Outlaw RR2150 stereo receiver driving DIY kits, Schiit Asgard for Sennheiser HD6XX headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1000W
As someone who deals with those Delta fans all day every day, it would be ugly (for the Deltas)
They are designed solely for airflow, which is the exact opposite of PC fans which are designed for quietness.

Everyone knows you can get phenomenal cooling by running a 120mm fan at 6000rpm, regardless of other details. The real question is whether you'd want to be in the same room as such a fan. There's a reason datacentres provide earplugs to any poor techs that need to service/intstall/remove/replace anything.

25mm fan frames are where the consumer PC compatilbility lies, which is why 99.x% of all fans target that size and why most of the design and research efforts go for 25mm thick. I would also like to see more effort put towards noise-normalised performance at 30mm, 38mm etc - but it's such a tiny niche that we're barely even scratching the surface with stuff like the Phanteks T30.

Oh, I have no doubt that the Deltas would suffer in the noise realm, depending on motor and bearing design. I used to run FFB1212VHEs on my radiators, and those would actually start at 3V amazingly and were quiet enough for me at the time.

I just wonder with some Deltas having PWM capability, how they would fare in the performance arena as they're throttled down. It's always been disappointing that consumer PC fans moved away from the 38mm thickness, because it is possible to have a superior fan for the RPM with a thicker frame, especially when radiators are brought into the equation.

I did buy some 140x38mm fans with stator vanes on a whim. They move some absurd air at 3600rpm but they are unsuitable for PC cooling except on a test bench, and won't run below 7V.

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
Memory 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Trio
Storage Too much
Display(s) Acer Predator XB3 27" 240 Hz
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Topping DX5, DCA Aeon II
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
No, not in this case. Nothing to do with mounting, airflow through nearby objects, case vibrations... it's noise generated by the fans themselves.

If it's being generated by the motor itself then I'd say that's a defective batch. In a previous post though you said it's resonance, which typically indicates a vibration issue.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
It's still perfectly good to do so, since it lets us know the worst case for noise - some cases are heavily restrictive just like a rad anyway

Reactions: VSG
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 9950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage Intel 905p Optane 960GB boot, +2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64 / Windows 11 Enterprise IoT 2024
Inaudible should be a must. Noisy fans such as the Arctic BioniX 120 should be banned with a law.
I notice you like enforcing personal preferences legally quite a bit, partner.

Looks like another copy of Nidec Gentle Typhoon now
That's a dual ball bearing fan and this is a FDB fan so no, not at all.

Processor Intel I7 6700
Motherboard Msi Z170i Pro Gaming AC
Cooling Be Quiet Shadow Rock LP
Memory Corsair LPX 16GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 980ti Extreme Gaming W3
Storage Samsung Evo 850 500GB + 250GB
Display(s) 3x Dell Ultrasharp U2515H
Case Ncase M1
Power Supply Sharkoon Silentstorm SFX
Mouse Logitech MX Master, Steelseries Rival 300
Keyboard Corsair K65RGB
Software Win 10
Great review! As a fan nerd this is ofc dangerous, but swapping out my 9 T-30's ain't happening. But good to see the Be Quiet is back with a terrific product. The fan looks great, and the quality of the cable sleeve and connected really seemed nice.

Reactions: VSG
Oh, I have no doubt that the Deltas would suffer in the noise realm, depending on motor and bearing design. I used to run FFB1212VHEs on my radiators, and those would actually start at 3V amazingly and were quiet enough for me at the time.

I just wonder with some Deltas having PWM capability, how they would fare in the performance arena as they're throttled down. It's always been disappointing that consumer PC fans moved away from the 38mm thickness, because it is possible to have a superior fan for the RPM with a thicker frame, especially when radiators are brought into the equation.

I did buy some 140x38mm fans with stator vanes on a whim. They move some absurd air at 3600rpm but they are unsuitable for PC cooling except on a test bench, and won't run below 7V.
I run deltas in a rack in a closet. They are great but they are loud.

how tightly you screw in the fans, whether the fans have rubber vibration dampeners, and what kind of screws you are using can all impact resonant noise.
Rubber (e.g. from old, thick mouse pads, cut out of yoga mats, et al.) and zip ties ftw.
I’d share another forum’s links but the images are all dead after … wow, 18 years. Feeling old right now.

Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Rubber (e.g. from old, thick mouse pads, cut out of yoga mats, et al.) and zip ties ftw.
I’d share another forum’s links but the images are all dead after … wow, 18 years. Feeling old right now.
Yeah, I'm a huge fan of those soft silicone studs when using cheaper fans that aren't likely to be precisely balanced. Zip ties also works, provided they're not too tight.
1667311028377.png

As far as I'm concerned, rubber corner bumpers are cosmetic gimmicks that can f*ck off. The reasoning behind them is dumb as hell because what is the point of a vibration-damping bumper if you're going to create a completely rigid mechanical lock between the fan frame and the case by screwing a metal screw directly into the hard plastic frame?! All the rubber pad is doing at that point is getting in the way!

The only situation where they have any merit whatsoever (and IMO they're still far too thin and firm to really offer significant benefit) is when you have a tower cooler that presses the fan frame directly against the heatsink fins using LOOSE wire clips. If the clips are too strong, they compress the rubber and prevent the deformation that is supposed to absorb vibrations. If the clips are too strong, they're likely also stiff enough to transmit fan-frame vibrations to the heatsink themselves,

Use the rubber studs as pictured because you can buy them in bulk for $5. They are the only things that actually ISOLATE the case fan from the frame with a flexible, vibration damping material. Regardless of whether your fan has rubber bumpers or not, If you are using metal screws you are basically guaranteeing that the unstoppable force (wobbly case fan) is directly interfacing with the immovable object (steel of the chassis).

Processor R7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI B650 Tomahawk
Memory 2x32GB 6000CL30
Video Card(s) RTX 3070 FE
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Power Supply Corsair RM1000x
Could you test the 140mm version aswell since they re like 1€ more expensive and theres a drought of good 140mm fans, at least until noctua releases their upcoming ones in few months

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Could you test the 140mm version aswell since they re like 1€ more expensive and theres a drought of good 140mm fans, at least until noctua releases their upcoming ones in few months
Unfortunately I don't have a library of 140mm fans being tested for comparison.

Yeah, I'm a huge fan of those soft silicone studs when using cheaper fans that aren't likely to be precisely balanced. Zip ties also works, provided they're not too tight.
View attachment 268111

As far as I'm concerned, rubber corner bumpers are cosmetic gimmicks that can f*ck off. The reasoning behind them is dumb as hell because what is the point of a vibration-damping bumper if you're going to create a completely rigid mechanical lock between the fan frame and the case by screwing a metal screw directly into the hard plastic frame?! All the rubber pad is doing at that point is getting in the way!

The only situation where they have any merit whatsoever (and IMO they're still far too thin and firm to really offer significant benefit) is when you have a tower cooler that presses the fan frame directly against the heatsink fins using LOOSE wire clips. If the clips are too strong, they compress the rubber and prevent the deformation that is supposed to absorb vibrations. If the clips are too strong, they're likely also stiff enough to transmit fan-frame vibrations to the heatsink themselves,

Use the rubber studs as pictured because you can buy them in bulk for $5. They are the only things that actually ISOLATE the case fan from the frame with a flexible, vibration damping material. Regardless of whether your fan has rubber bumpers or not, If you are using metal screws you are basically guaranteeing that the unstoppable force (wobbly case fan) is directly interfacing with the immovable object (steel of the chassis).

The rubber corner bumpers exist for people who are new at this. For them, they work. For those of us who have been building for years or have to open up rackmounts at work it's pointless.