• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Is a game's graphical quality important to you?

Are graphics important?

• Yes.

• No.

• I have a preference for presentation (e.g. cartoony, realistic, etc.).

• Other (please specify).

• Yes (up to a point).

• No (up to a point).

Results are only viewable after voting.
Processor faster at instructions than yours
Motherboard more nurturing than yours
Cooling frostier than yours
Memory superior scheduling & haphazardly entry than yours
Video Card(s) better rasterization than yours
Storage more ample than yours
Display(s) increased pixels than yours
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) further audible than yours
Power Supply additional amps x volts than yours
Mouse without as much gnawing as yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
VR HMD not as odd looking as yours
Software extra mushier than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
Unfortunately, the "back of the box" rarely exist anymore. Reviews are King these days.
it does and true but also games web sights like PCgamer, IGN, gamesradar, etc., all tease games and write features on up coming games. The web sites get "exclusive first looks" and the publishers/developers get to market their games for presale and build up anticipation. They all push graphics and visual aspects in the articles.

Case fancier than yours
Which is flawed. They need to push the total package, the whole game experience, or as much of it as they can express to the readers.
agreed but if you write "great graphics but the gameplay is nothing more than a dodge fest and the story comes across as pure plagiarism with dialogue written and performed by amateurs" you may not get invited back to to tease Assassins Creed Antarctica ultimate end of time until next year edition.

agreed but if you write "great graphics but the gameplay is nothing more than a dodge fest and the story comes across as pure plagiarism with dialogue written and performed by amateurs" you may not get invited back to to tease Assassins Creed Antarctica ultimate end of time until next year edition.
Honest reviewing is never a bad thing. If every publication wrote actual honest reviews, developers would be required to kick the quality controls up a few notches.

Case fancier than yours
Honest reviewing is never a bad thing.
100% and I would add it's becoming more rare
If every publication wrote actual honest reviews, developers would be required to kick the quality controls up a few notches.
developers would just stop giving access to the "journalists" and impact the publications financial bottom line as readers/viewers would go elsewhere

this doesn't just happen in video games & PC Tech, in occurs in every aspect of entertainment, car industry, travel industry, fashion, etc., etc.,

System Name Nebulon B
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 24 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-4800
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 6750 XT 12 GB
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 2.1 speakers, AKG Y50 headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
100% and I would add it's becoming more rare

developers would just stop giving access to the "journalists" and impact the publications financial bottom line as readers/viewers would go elsewhere

this doesn't just happen in video games & PC Tech, in occurs in every aspect of entertainment, car industry, travel industry, fashion, etc., etc.,
True, but it's not like big sites like IGN couldn't afford to buy their own games to review.

Case fancier than yours
True, but it's not like big sites like IGN couldn't afford to buy their own games to review.
yes but then they would be late to the game with their reviews compared to the other sites who would post them on launch day. That said I was talking more about the "first look" game tease articles these sites post as opposed to reviews.

System Name Computer of Theseus
Processor Intel i9-12900KS: 50x Pcore multi @ 1.18Vcore (target 1.275V -100mv offset)
Motherboard EVGA Z690 Classified
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S, 2xThermalRight TY-143, 4xNoctua NF-A12x25,3xNF-A12x15, 2xAquacomputer Splitty9Active
Memory G-Skill Trident Z5 (32GB) DDR5-6000 C36 F5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5RK
Video Card(s) ASUS PROART RTX 4070 Ti-Super OC 16GB, 2670MHz, 0.93V
Storage 1x Samsung 970 Pro 512GB NVMe (OS), 2x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB (data), ASUS BW-16D1HT (BluRay)
Display(s) Dell S3220DGF 32" 2560x1440 165Hz Primary, Dell P2017H 19.5" 1600x900 Secondary, Ergotron LX arms.
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Audiotechnica ATR2100X-USB, El Gato Wave XLR Mic Preamp, ATH M50X Headphones, Behringer 302USB Mixer
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Platinum SE 1000W 80+ Platinum White, MODDIY 12VHPWR Cable
Mouse Zowie EC3-C
Keyboard Vortex Multix 87 Winter TKL (Gateron G Pro Yellow)
Software Win 10 LTSC 21H2
Since the overhyped underdelivered mess of Black & White (IGN 9.7/10, 2001), I've always relied on word of mouth to buy games rather than a reviewer. Now that games can easily be refunded on Steam, its even easier to avoid crap. Maybe the years have been kind to B&W but that game at launch was terrible. It barely ran on my computer and it wasn't fun.

System Name Personal / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5900x / Ryzen 5600X3D
Motherboard Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming 4 /ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming
Cooling Corsair H100i / bequiet! Pure Rock Slim 2
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 / 16GB DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA XC3 Ultra RTX 3080Ti / EVGA RTX 3060 XC
Storage 500GB Pro 970, 250 GB SSD, 1TB & 500GB Western Digital / lots
Display(s) Dell - S3220DGF & S3222DGM 32"
Case CoolerMaster HAF XB Evo / CM HAF XB Evo
Audio Device(s) Logitech G35 headset
Power Supply 850W SeaSonic X Series / 750W SeaSonic X Series
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Microsoft Natural Elite Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 / Windows 10 Pro 64
Since the overhyped underdelivered mess of Black & White (IGN 9.7/10, 2001), I've always relied on word of mouth to buy games rather than a reviewer. Now that games can easily be refunded on Steam, its even easier to avoid crap. Maybe the years have been kind to B&W but that game at launch was terrible. It barely ran on my computer and it wasn't fun.

I remember that game, I thought it was going to be awesome! Yeah, I played it maybe a couple of hours and packed it back into it's box and never touched it again (sadly, it was one of my games my younger brother found after I moved out for college and he ripped the box open, ruined the box contents and the game disc......lost so many games from back then because of him). I couldn't understand the hype for it. It was one of the games that lead me to becoming a cheap gamer.

I usually buy my games 12-18 months after they release, aside from a few situations (like the STLAKER games, I got all of them right around the times they released and paid the full retail price) so I'm only paying a fraction of the release price. I tend to miss out on the buggy and performance riddled issues in games, they're patched by the time I get around to getting a copy.

System Name Nebulon B
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 24 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-4800
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 6750 XT 12 GB
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 2.1 speakers, AKG Y50 headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
I remember that game, I thought it was going to be awesome! Yeah, I played it maybe a couple of hours and packed it back into it's box and never touched it again (sadly, it was one of my games my younger brother found after I moved out for college and he ripped the box open, ruined the box contents and the game disc......lost so many games from back then because of him). I couldn't understand the hype for it. It was one of the games that lead me to becoming a cheap gamer.

I usually buy my games 12-18 months after they release, aside from a few situations (like the STLAKER games, I got all of them right around the times they released and paid the full retail price) so I'm only paying a fraction of the release price. I tend to miss out on the buggy and performance riddled issues in games, they're patched by the time I get around to getting a copy.
That's my approach too. Isn't it weird? If you wait a little, you get a better version of the game for a better price. :laugh: I have a gigantic backlog of games to play in the meantime, anyway. :)

System Name Space Station
Processor Intel 13700K
Motherboard ASRock Z790 PG Riptide
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory Corsair Vengeance 6400 2x16GB @ CL34
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4080
Storage SSDs - Nextorage 4TB, Samsung EVO 970 500GB, Plextor M5Pro 128GB, HDDs - WD Black 6TB, 2x 1TB
Display(s) LG C3 OLED 42"
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V371
Power Supply SeaSonic Vertex 1200w Gold
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
Software Windows 11 Pro 23H2
Isn't it weird? If you wait a little, you get a better version of the game for a better price. :laugh:

I would say it's more practical than weird. Weird to me is that people still preorder or buy full price at launch, which only enables devs and pubs to release games in horrible condition.

System Name Computer of Theseus
Processor Intel i9-12900KS: 50x Pcore multi @ 1.18Vcore (target 1.275V -100mv offset)
Motherboard EVGA Z690 Classified
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S, 2xThermalRight TY-143, 4xNoctua NF-A12x25,3xNF-A12x15, 2xAquacomputer Splitty9Active
Memory G-Skill Trident Z5 (32GB) DDR5-6000 C36 F5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5RK
Video Card(s) ASUS PROART RTX 4070 Ti-Super OC 16GB, 2670MHz, 0.93V
Storage 1x Samsung 970 Pro 512GB NVMe (OS), 2x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB (data), ASUS BW-16D1HT (BluRay)
Display(s) Dell S3220DGF 32" 2560x1440 165Hz Primary, Dell P2017H 19.5" 1600x900 Secondary, Ergotron LX arms.
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Audiotechnica ATR2100X-USB, El Gato Wave XLR Mic Preamp, ATH M50X Headphones, Behringer 302USB Mixer
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Platinum SE 1000W 80+ Platinum White, MODDIY 12VHPWR Cable
Mouse Zowie EC3-C
Keyboard Vortex Multix 87 Winter TKL (Gateron G Pro Yellow)
Software Win 10 LTSC 21H2

I returned it and if I recall correctly, I got Tribes 2 with the refund, which was the greatest game I've ever played.

System Name Current
Processor i7 12700k
Motherboard Asus Prime Z690-A
Cooling Noctua NHD15s
Memory 32GB G.Skill
Video Card(s) GTX 1070Ti
Storage WD SN-850 2TB
Display(s) LG Ultragear 27GL850-B
Case Fractal Meshify 2 Compact
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Seasonic 1000W Titanium
Depends on the art-style as much as the graphics. Games like vanilla wow I think aged very well and still look good today.

Let's just say yes I bump the quality settings up as high as possible. So in that sense I find it important, however I'm also still a sucker for Stardew Valley, Minecraft, Factorio and such. So no graphics isn't my key priority when it comes for choosing a game, but the titles I play I do bump the quality settings. I'm not a competitive gamer that needs 240 fps and minimal quality to get the fastest response time possible. When I play CP2077 I do want to see Panam's digital behind in all it's glory. When I play Battlefield I want all the extra mess higher settings will also throw at you. And yes I want ray tracing if I can run it at a decent speed.

Last edited:
System Name PC-GX1
Processor i9 10900 non K (stock) TDP 65w
Motherboard asrock b560 steel legend | Realtek ALC897
Cooling cooler master hyper 2x12 LED turbo argb | 5x12cm fan rgb intake | 3x12cm fan rgb exhaust
Memory corsair vengeance LPX 2x32gb ddr4 3600mhz
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3080 10GB Gaming Z Trio LHR TDP 370w| 560.81 WHQL | MSI AB v4.65 | RTSS v7.36
Storage NVME 2+2TB gen3| SSD 4TB sata3 | 1+2TB 7200rpm sata3| 4+4+5TB USB3 (optional)
Display(s) AOC U34P2C (IPS panel, 3440x1440 75hz) + speaker 5W*2 | APC BX1100CI MS (660w)
Case lianli lancool 2 mesh RGB windows - white edition | 1x dvd-RW usb 3.0 (optional)
Audio Device(s) Nakamichi soundstation8w 2.1 100W RMS | Simbadda CST 9000N+ 2.1 352W RMS
Power Supply seasonic focus gx-850w 80+ gold - white edition 2021 | APC BX2200MI MS (1200w)
Mouse steelseries sensei ten | logitech g440
Keyboard steelseries apex 5 | steelseries QCK prism cloth XL | steelseries arctis 5
VR HMD -
Software dvd win 10 home 64bit oem + full update 22H2
Benchmark Scores -
after using 3840x2160 for sometimes, before it is using 3440x1440 for more than a years, the quality graphic is still important to my self.... although for now, i must not maximal all the graphic options......