• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS ROG Swift Pro PG248QP 540 Hz and ROG Swift PG27AQDM OLED 240 Hz Monitors

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
It may be small, but it's fast! The new ROG Swift Pro PG248QP is a 24.1-inch planar gaming monitor with a measly Full HD (1920 x 1080 pixels) resolution, but an at an incredible 540 Hz refresh rate, making it the world's fastest E-Sports display. This display is so quick, and ASUS set up a 144 Hz display next to it for comparison, and one could tell the difference. The monitor also features NVIDIA G-SYNC, and NVIDIA Reflex Analyzer, along with a USB 3.2 hub, so you can plug your Reflex-compatible gaming mouse to the monitor, and the monitor itself to an upstream USB 3.2 source, besides the DisplayPort connection. Another interesting aspect about this monitor is that ASUS has integrated a high-end USB audio DAC sourced from ESS, so you can plug your analog headset to the display and get audio quality on par with a high-end onboard audio solution, or even a mid-range discrete sound card.

Elsewhere across the ASUS ROG booth, we caught the ASUS ROG Swift PG27AQDM-OLED, the company's fastest gaming monitors to use an OLED panel. This 27-inch monitor offers WQHD (2560 x 1440 pixels) resolution, with 0.03 ms response time, and 240 Hz refresh rate, besides 1,000 nits peak brightness, and 99% DCI-P3 coverage. The panel features an anti-glare micro-coating. OLED displays tend to produce more heat than backlit LCD displays, and so this monitor packs a series of thermal innovations to prolong the lifespan of the OLED panel. It supports AMD FreeSync Premium,

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Jedi Survivor Gaming PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus TUF B650M Plus Wifi
Cooling ThermalRight CPU Cooler
Memory G.Skill 32GB DDR5-5600 CL28
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3080 10GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 990 Pro SSD
Display(s) MSI 32" 4K OLED 240hz Monitor
Case Asus Prime AP201
Power Supply FSP 1000W Platinum PSU
Mouse Logitech G403
Keyboard Asus Mechanical Keyboard
what they should have done is set up the OLED next to the 500mhz LCD LMAO, then tell me if you think LCDs are fast

I believe you need roughly 40Gbps to be able to do that. HDMI 2.1 can. Basically what 8K60 can.
That’s very close to the max of 48 Gbps. I wonder how much the quality of the HDMI cable makes a difference at these refresh rates.

That’s very close to the max of 48 Gbps. I wonder how much the quality of the HDMI cable makes a difference at these refresh rates.
Shouldn't be much of an issue IMO. If we can drive 4K144Hz monitors, we can drive this monitor.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
EWwwwwwww, it's a TN panel.
It'll probably cost >$600 too :\

D

Deleted member 185088

what they should have done is set up the OLED next to the 500mhz LCD LMAO, then tell me if you think LCDs are fast
Yeah no idea why they keep pushing LCD, pixel response time is way slower than OLED, just push OLED instead.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/yfsd9w
Is there a red light led beamer under that display? How annoying!
Lots of gaming displays have those these days, Asus started the "trend" though.

That OLED screen is exponentially more interesting than that 540Hz TN panel...
It's a little funny that people think "upgrading" to that 540hz will improve their skills..the issue is between the keyboard and the chair, not the screen usually ;)

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
Memory 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Trio
Storage Too much
Display(s) Acer Predator XB3 27" 240 Hz
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Topping DX5, DCA Aeon II
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
Yeah no idea why they keep pushing LCD, pixel response time is way slower than OLED, just push OLED instead.

OLEDs are not suitable for all environments, particularly ones with high amounts of ambient light. This is down to the fact that OLED have a much lower maximum brightness than LCDs.

OLEDs still have burn-in issues as well, particularly when approaching the panel's max brightness. The chance of burn-in increases as you up the brightness.

They can't just push OLED because OLED is not ready to take over in all the environments LCDs do.

System Name boomer--->zoomer not your typical millenial build
Processor i5-760 @ 3.8ghz + turbo ~goes wayyyyyyyyy fast cuz turboooooz~
Motherboard P55-GD80 ~best motherboard ever designed~
Cooling NH-D15 ~double stack thot twerk all day~
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix LP ~memory gone AWOL~
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 970 ~*~GOLDEN EDITION~*~ RAWRRRRRR
Storage 500GB Samsung 850 Evo (OS X, *nix), 128GB Samsung 840 Pro (W10 Pro), 1TB SpinPoint F3 ~best in class
Display(s) ASUS VW246H ~best 24" you've seen *FULL HD* *1O80PP* *SLAPS*~
Case FT02-W ~the W stands for white but it's brushed aluminum except for the disgusting ODD bays; *cries*
Audio Device(s) A LOT
Power Supply 850W EVGA SuperNova G2 ~hot fire like champagne~
Mouse CM Spawn ~cmcz R c00l seth mcfarlane darawss~
Keyboard CM QF Rapid - Browns ~fastrrr kees for fstr teens~
Software integrated into the chassis
Benchmark Scores 9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999
People have been saying these things for a decade as if the tech hadn’t advanced. Like, back when plasma was the enthusiast’s choice

System Name Jedi Survivor Gaming PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus TUF B650M Plus Wifi
Cooling ThermalRight CPU Cooler
Memory G.Skill 32GB DDR5-5600 CL28
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3080 10GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 990 Pro SSD
Display(s) MSI 32" 4K OLED 240hz Monitor
Case Asus Prime AP201
Power Supply FSP 1000W Platinum PSU
Mouse Logitech G403
Keyboard Asus Mechanical Keyboard
because it doesn't matter if the TN panel is 500hz or not, it is dirt cheap to manufacture

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling EK AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3600 C16 2x16gb
Video Card(s) EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
Storage WD SN850 1tb + SN850 2tb
Display(s) Alienware AW2721D
Case Corsair iCUE 5000X
Audio Device(s) Arctis Nova Pro Wireless, Sound Blaster AE-5 Plus, Klipsch Promedia 2.1
Power Supply EVGA 850 T2
Mouse Logitech G502X Plus
Keyboard Razer Huntsman V2 Optical-Linear
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Time Spy: https://www.3dmark.com/spy/23547689 Port Royal: https://www.3dmark.com/pr/1270932
Can HDMI 2 or DP 1.4 even output 540 Hz at 1080p?
Max total bandwith for DP 1.4 is 32.4Gbps iirc. It's likely this monitor will utilize DSC over DP 1.4 to achieve that refresh rate. It also has 2 HDMI 2.0 ports, so VRR likely won't work if you utilize those (not that it really matters, average person probably won't even bother with gsync/freesync with this monitor, though it prob matters more for console players but they can't utilize the refresh rate either)

Last edited:
EWwwwwwww, it's a TN panel.
It'll probably cost >$600 too :\
Yeah, TN panels have absolutely atrocius viewing angles & not the best color accuracy. About the only "sort of" positive thing I could think of regarding them is if I was working with any texturing colors that were very close in value to each other, I could tilt the angle of the monitor slightly up or down and make them more distinct from each and determine the incremental boundaries of a gradient. Nevertheless, still prefer just about anything over a TN panel.

System Name Black Knight | White Queen
Processor Intel Core i9-10940X (28 cores) | Intel Core i7-5775C (8 cores)
Motherboard ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore X299G | ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S (White)
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | Xigmatek Dark Knight SD-1283 Night Hawk (White)
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4 3600MHz CL16 | Corsair Vengeance LP 4x4GB DDR3L 1600MHz CL9 (White)
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 OC | KFA2/Galax GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Hall of Fame Edition
Storage Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, 980 Pro 1TB, 850 Pro 256GB, 840 Pro 256GB, WD 10TB+ (incl. VelociRaptors)
Display(s) Dell Alienware AW2721D 240Hz| LG OLED evo C4 48" 144Hz
Case Corsair 7000D AIRFLOW (Black) | NZXT ??? w/ ASUS DRW-24B1ST
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar Essence STX | Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Enermax Revolution 1250W 85+ | Super Flower Leadex Gold 650W (White)
Mouse Razer Basilisk Ultimate, Razer Naga Trinity | Razer Mamba 16000
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2 (Orange switch) | Razer Ornata Chroma
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Hot take: OLED as a choice for PC monitor is bad!

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
Anything above 240Hz is TOTALLY useless, even for professional e-sports nerds.
I challenge anyone who says otherwise.

D

Deleted member 185088

OLEDs are not suitable for all environments, particularly ones with high amounts of ambient light. This is down to the fact that OLED have a much lower maximum brightness than LCDs.

OLEDs still have burn-in issues as well, particularly when approaching the panel's max brightness. The chance of burn-in increases as you up the brightness.

They can't just push OLED because OLED is not ready to take over in all the environments LCDs do.
Well in the case of this monitor is for a very unique kind of customers. I don't think they mind the issues of OLED, only performance counts and OLED destroy LCD.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
if I was working with any texturing colors that were very close in value to each other, I could tilt the angle of the monitor slightly up or down and make them more distinct
"It's a feature, not a bug" :D

In fairness to Asus, their high-end TN gaming panels have historically had much better viewing angles than typical cheap TN monitors. They're still very limited compared to IPS or VA but I was pleasantly surprised to find to find that their vertical contrast shift and gamma inversion were tolerable.

LogicaLiD10t

Anything above 240Hz is TOTALLY useless, even for professional e-sports nerds.
I challenge anyone who says otherwise.
^ Challenge the science on the BlurBuster's website. I think they might have something to say to this.^

I realize this discussion is old but I was thrown off by some of the misconceptions here and wanted to help.

TN panels are cheaper to manufacture, easier to push to higher refresh rates and are getting better with each iteration that AUO makes. (AUO panels are in ASUS and ACER monitors). There are not a lot of panel manufactures in the world. Here is a data base of panels now and planned for the near future. https://tftcentral.co.uk/monitor_panel_parts

Instant pixel response does not necessarily mean that their is no motion blur. Grey to Grey transitions or as someone mentioned, pixel response time, on this panel is 1.80ms vs. Most OLED's monitors are sub .30ms. Your eyes could not tell the difference between them. This is about the monitor holding a consistent native refresh rate without errors. Those errors can cause "ghosting." Pound for pound or Hertz for Hertz, OLED wins every time. However, with black frame insertion combined or strobing (same thing, different name) combined with the Hertz AND if you can get close to the same frame rate.... it's a beautiful thing.

Every panel type, speed, color reproduction, and so on is about preference. Combine this panels speed with the ULMB2 (NVIDIA's version of black frame insertion technology) and you have near CRT motion clarity. This is important for FPS gamers. It's a tool to assist someone in improving, it wont provide skills. It's like a good tennis player having a quality racket vs a cheap one. It does not give them "skill" but helps them stay consistent in their journey to improve.

I don't personally care about view angles on a 24" screen. I will look directly in the middle and straight on and have no reason to look from any other angle. Color reproduction, contrast, and brightness are very good on the panel for being a TN.

We should not hate on TN, it has led the way in new panel technology since the beginning of LCD monitors. I wont post any reviews out of respect to this website but this monitor is really good for those who understand it's purpose. Especially the e-sports nerds in FPS's ;)

TLDR; This panel is about motion clarity and eye tracking on moving targets. "OLED 240hz is close to LCD 500Hz" when it comes to motion clarity. Frame for frame anyway but when using strobing or black frame insertion, this panel is second to none. The motion clarity is insane.
https://blurbusters.com has amazing panel science and theories to better understand the technology in panels. Here is a database of panels now and those to come in the near future. https://tftcentral.co.uk/monitor_panel_parts.

Is there a red light led beamer under that display? How annoying!
You can turn it off.

Last edited:
^ Challenge the science on the BlurBuster's website. I think they might have something to say to this.^

I realize this discussion is old but I was thrown off by some of the misconceptions here and wanted to help.

TN panels are cheaper to manufacture, easier to push to higher refresh rates and are getting better with each iteration that AUO makes. (AUO panels are in ASUS and ACER monitors). There are not a lot of panel manufactures in the world. Here is a data base of panels now and planned for the near future. https://tftcentral.co.uk/monitor_panel_parts

Instant pixel response does not necessarily mean that their is no motion blur. Grey to Grey transitions or as someone mentioned, pixel response time, on this panel is 1.80ms vs. Most OLED's monitors are sub .30ms. Your eyes could not tell the difference between them. This is about the monitor holding a consistent native refresh rate without errors. Those errors can cause "ghosting." Pound for pound or Hertz for Hertz, OLED wins every time. However, with black frame insertion combined or strobing (same thing, different name) combined with the Hertz AND if you can get close to the same frame rate.... it's a beautiful thing.

Every panel type, speed, color reproduction, and so on is about preference. Combine this panels speed with the ULMB2 (NVIDIA's version of black frame insertion technology) and you have near CRT motion clarity. This is important for FPS gamers. It's a tool to assist someone in improving, it wont provide skills. It's like a good tennis player having a quality racket vs a cheap one. It does not give them "skill" but helps them stay consistent in their journey to improve.

I don't personally care about view angles on a 24" screen. I will look directly in the middle and straight on and have no reason to look from any other angle. Color reproduction, contrast, and brightness are very good on the panel for being a TN.

We should not hate on TN, it has led the way in new panel technology since the beginning of LCD monitors. I wont post any reviews out of respect to this website but this monitor is really good for those who understand it's purpose. Especially the e-sports nerds in FPS's ;)

TLDR; This panel is about motion clarity and eye tracking on moving targets. "OLED 240hz is close to LCD 500Hz" when it comes to motion clarity. Frame for frame anyway but when using strobing or black frame insertion, this panel is second to none. The motion clarity is insane.
https://blurbusters.com has amazing panel science and theories to better understand the technology in panels. Here is a database of panels now and those to come in the near future. https://tftcentral.co.uk/monitor_panel_parts.

You can turn it off.
Sure, if you don't require color accuracy and/or wide viewing angles, TN panels are the best way to go in regards to price.