• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

RTX 3000 Series artifacts, black squares that flicker in desktop and 2D mode

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
When the GPU is under heavy load the fans are also at higher speeds, when the card is almost at idle the fans are very slow or even at idle, this logic that it can't be the vram because it doesn't happen at full load doesn't make sense to me.
With the card at idle the vram is getting little to no fresh air.

This is most likely a vram issue specific to whatever is happening to those cards. What is the vram clock speed when this happens, when the machine is idle? There is issues with vram clock speeds at 100% even at idle in certain situations with amd, nvidia and even intel cards. Has anyone opened these cards to see the thermal pads? etc...

This has nothing to do with drivers.

VRAM chips, especially GDDR6, are designed to run up to 105C no problem, they also don't dissipate that much heat at idle, <20W, this can't be a temperature related issue.

Processor Ryzen 5 5700x
Motherboard B550 Elite
Cooling Thermalright Perless Assassin 120 SE
Memory 32GB Fury Beast DDR4 3200Mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 3060 ti gaming oc pro
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1TB, WD SN850x 1TB, plus some random HDDs
Display(s) LG 27gp850 1440p 165Hz 27''
Case Lian Li Lancool II performance
Power Supply MSI 750w
Mouse G502
VRAM chips, especially GDDR6, are designed to run up to 105C no problem, they also don't dissipate that much heat at idle, <20W, this can't be a temperature related issue.

we need more information, they say the cards are idle, i have no idea what is going on with vram, i don't know if they mine on them, if them abuse them, if there is adequate thermal pads, what is them temps and usage of the vram with the card at idle, etc...

lots of people talked about lowering the vram clocks and no one cared to do it, i bet it would solve every single one of this issues. When it's drivers no matter if you are on amd or nvidia for these weird issues that don't trouble every card there is always a older version of drivers where the problem goes away

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
i bet it would solve every single one of this issues.
That would still be a hardware issue, the memory is supposed to run at it's rated speed, if it doesn't then it's defective.

It's funny how the circle recently restarted with people saying it's hardware issue and not even reading relevant parts in this thread.

1. Several people here already replaced their GPU's multiple times to just see the same issue happening again.

2. I have tested both GPU core and VRAM banks of my GPU that had the same issue with latest MODS/MATS module versions on a tinyLinux boot stick. Card get a 100% PASS after hours of intensive checks (so, no, not only the 5MB on the example but 100% pass with large memory chunks as well)

1678286192675.png

3. And finally, yes there even seems to be a way to reproduce the issue, using an old version of QuickBoost.

This is a tool written by a programming student which had absolutely no intention to achieve this result with that but just as the name it says, it was created for boosting your pc for gaming. But his tool apparently tinkers with several Windows Graphic settings and Nvidia driver settings at startup.
However, the latter I still need to verify this myself and as the problem is already gone here for more than 3 months now, I'd rather not jinx it :D

Tarkovski

i don't know if they mine on them, if them abuse them, if there is adequate thermal pads, what is them temps and usage of the vram with the card at idle, etc...

I did an RMA on the 3090 and the error persists. I bought a 3060 for a second computer, same errors.
I've never mined, temperatures are optimal (4000x Corsair + H150i ELITE CAPELLIX), the most intensive use I've given to the GPUs is for video editing....

lordofrandy

Want to make this post as maybe it will help other users that they think they got a faulty RTX 3000 cards, so if you have this similar issue you can breath relax because your graphic card its ok, the faulty are the nvidia drivers, like any version looks like only afect RTX 3000 series.

There is a issue with artifacts, black/white squares or dots flickering in desktop and 2D mode like more than 1 year old already with RTX 3000 series cards.

At first I tought my RTX 3070 was faulty, so I RMA and I receveid a new RTX 3070 but have same issue. I had the RTX 3070 with the issue from feb 2021 and now from july 2022 I have a new RTX 3080 and after 2 weeks of use, I got the issue again, also in the RTX 3080, so with this card, I tested 3 different cards that all of them has the issue. For me its triggered like 1 per month lets say, and you have to restart PC in order to fix it. I changed DP cable like 3 times aswell just in case.
There is another guy here that posted time ago this issue, he said he RMA his card aswell and the issue triggered for him aswell with the new graphic card.

The issue is very random, there is no chance to reproduce it, the funny fact is that it will have everytime same patron I mean everytime there are some squares that are flickering in desktop, if you move mouse they dissapear, apear again, flickering and most likely the nvidia driver will crash with display has stopped working and recovered. They thend to flicker at same spot every time. Here are some examples of the issue that I found from other users but all of them with RTX 3000 series cards.

1)
2)
3)
4)
5)

I tested bunch of different driver versions, like from beggining of 2021 that I got first time the issue, untill now so there are alot of drivers and all are triggering the issue in certain moment. I did fresh windows install like 10 times , tested windows 10, tested windows 11, nothing works.
To clarify, all the new people that have discovered this thread, are these the artifacts you are getting?

3. And finally, yes there even seems to be a way to reproduce the issue, using an old version of QuickBoost.

This is a tool written by a programming student which had absolutely no intention to achieve this result with that but just as the name it says, it was created for boosting your pc for gaming. But his tool apparently tinkers with several Windows Graphic settings and Nvidia driver settings at startup.
However, the latter I still need to verify this myself and as the problem is already gone here for more than 3 months now, I'd rather not jinx it :D
How many here do you think were running/tried this tool? :)

How many here do you think were running/tried this tool? :)
Don’t see why this would matter here that much, but you can surely join their Discord, if you really want to know if there was any additional feedback to the dev. It would be nice if the problem can be reproduced, need to make time this weekend for it as I really want to know myself what is the cause of these artifacts, when hardware is proven fine. :)

Just as a reference again:
https://github.com/SanGraphic/QuickBoost/issues/11
https://www.ilovefreesoftware.com/13/tutorial/how-to-disable-gpu-preemption-on-windows-11.html

Actually, also special, I have a snapshot of this scenario with the artifacts. Because last time I saw the issue, before I had unplugged the power cable of my computer to insert a new NVMe instead of my sata disk where Windows is installed. The NVMe is an exact clone of the Sata, done with CloneZilla. Immediately after booting on the new NVMe, the issue occurred.
My sata disk is still in the pc, just need to connect both cables again.

So very curious if it would get me the artifacts...

Last edited:

Tarkovski

To clarify, all the new people that have discovered this thread, are these the artifacts you are getting?

With my 3090 I have seen artifacts like the videos on the first page. But it's been a long time since I've seen these kinds of errors.
Now I have errors very similar to those shown by @Zer0code on page 5. They are quite recurrent (and annoying)

Processor Ryzen 5600
Motherboard Asus Prime x470-PRO
Cooling Pentawave z06d
Memory DDR4 32Gb 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3060 (GA104)
Storage SSD Samsung Pm981a 256 + Samsung 980Pro 1Tb + 870 evo 1Tb + 870 evo 500Gb
Display(s) PHL 24' 2K
Case Fractal Design Meshify C
Power Supply be quiet! Straight Power 11 750W Gold
Mouse Razer Viper Mini
Perfect! I will write in the next few days. I will try to include videos and examples of the artifacts
Can you record video with artifacts? I want to see how it happens on your GPU.

Tarkovski

Can you record video with artifacts? I want to see how it happens on your GPU.
Here is a video I recorded some time ago to process an RMA. Sorry for the quality
Lately I have seen patterns exactly like the ones you show in your video

Here is one frame:

Processor Ryzen 5600
Motherboard Asus Prime x470-PRO
Cooling Pentawave z06d
Memory DDR4 32Gb 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3060 (GA104)
Storage SSD Samsung Pm981a 256 + Samsung 980Pro 1Tb + 870 evo 1Tb + 870 evo 500Gb
Display(s) PHL 24' 2K
Case Fractal Design Meshify C
Power Supply be quiet! Straight Power 11 750W Gold
Mouse Razer Viper Mini
Here is a video
Yes, very similar. I get artifacts on YouTube too, often like a checkerboard pattern in some part of the video.

Tarkovski

Yes, very similar. I get artifacts on YouTube too, often like a checkerboard pattern in some part of the video.

This has been happening to me for a few months now. Initially I thought it was a problem with the 3090, but I bought a 3060 and exactly the same.
I don't know what to try anymore.

Every time there is a new Nvidia Driver or Windows update... I keep my fingers crossed that the problem will be fixed :respect:

UltiZA

Here is a video I recorded some time ago to process an RMA. Sorry for the quality
Lately I have seen patterns exactly like the ones you show in your video

Here is one frame:

Yep, exactly what I'm getting on my 3080 as well. Either white or black artifacts like that

lordofrandy

It's been just over a month since I last seen the flickering black boxes, could be completley unrelated but the changes i've made since last time:
changed ram clock speeds from 5600mhz > 5200mhz
swapped out third party power adapter (corsair) for gpu back to the official nvidia adapter included with founders edition.

Really interested to know if the black boxes (page one) will show again.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230203_181514.png
    Screenshot_20230203_181514.png
    21.8 KB · Views: 162

jhigh2000

It's been just over a month since I last seen the flickering black boxes, could be completley unrelated but the changes i've made since last time:
changed ram clock speeds from 5600mhz > 5200mhz
swapped out third party power adapter (corsair) for gpu back to the official nvidia adapter included with founders edition.

Really interested to know if the black boxes (page one) will show again.
Glad I came across this thread. Same issue with my 3060 TI.

1678855525833.png

System Name BUILD
Processor INTEL® CORE™ i7-13700K
Motherboard MSI MPG Z790 CARBON WIFI
Cooling NOCTUA NH-D15 chromax.black
Memory 32GB G.SKILL 5600 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4070 Ti GAMING X TRIO
Storage 2TB SAMSUNG 990 PRO
Display(s) GIGABYTE M27Q 1440p 170Hz IPS
Case PHANTEKS ECLIPSE P500A DRGB
Power Supply ORSAIR RM1000x SHIFT
Mouse COOLER MASTER MM711
Keyboard CORSAIR K70 RGB TKL OPX
There is another video demo of the issue ... as always in destktop

System Name Main PC
Processor 13700k
Motherboard Asrock Z690 Steel Legend D4 - Bios 13.02
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32 Gig 3200CL14
Video Card(s) 4080 RTX SUPER FE 16G
Storage 1TB 980 PRO, 2TB SN850X, 2TB DC P4600, 1TB 860 EVO, 2x 3TB WD Red, 2x 4TB WD Red
Display(s) LG 27GL850
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster AE-9
Power Supply Antec HCG 750 Gold
Software Windows 10 21H2 LTSC
Do any chips exist in the wild that are not A1? Not noticed artefacts but doesnt mean they never happened of course.

alutyl

This has been happening to me for a few months now. Initially I thought it was a problem with the 3090, but I bought a 3060 and exactly the same.
I don't know what to try anymore.

Every time there is a new Nvidia Driver or Windows update... I keep my fingers crossed that the problem will be fixed :respect:
My system configuration:
Ryzen 5 5600
Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite V1
32GB RAM
Palit GeForce RTX 3070 GameRock V1

I have a problem similar to that of users Zer0code and Tarkovski. In my browser (google chrome) or in the discord sometimes appear artifacts. This never happens in games.
I also found a lot of people on reddit with the exact same artifacts. I don't know how to fix it. I have tested the memory of my graphics card in MATS/MODS. The test passed successfully. I ran cyberpunk on max settings to have 100% GPU utilization and 8gb memory utilization out of 8gb. I don't get any artifacts.
I also suspect that my monitor may somehow be causing these artifacts. I am using an LG 32QN600. It has HDR and FreeSync. Perhaps one of these technologies is causing the artifacts.
Zer0code and Tarkovski what can you say?
Here is a screenshot of my artifacts (don't look at the purple squares.).
my1.png

I had both the first type of artifacts and the second type, which is on the screenshots from reddit.
(All these screenshots are from different people)
reddit.png

reddit 4.png

rrr.png
fix m.png
reddit 3.png

reddit (2).png

Last edited:

Inoriya

Glad I found this thread. Had multiple artifact issues on both of my dual monitor setup after booting my pc today. Issue seem to resolve itself after restarting pc. This was an hour ago.

Ignore the weeb video in the photo thanks, just focus on the artifacts.

Attachments

• 20230321_140425.jpg
    20230321_140425.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 146

Tarkovski

I also suspect that my monitor may somehow be causing these artifacts. I am using an LG 32QN600. It has HDR and FreeSync. Perhaps one of these technologies is causing the artifacts.

I have tested with two different monitors (one from Viewsonic and one from Asus), Gsync both, without HDR... and the error always appears. Of course, I have also tried with different DP cables, from cheap to expensive.

I still think this is not a hardware problem...