• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

DTS DCH Driver for Realtek HDA [DTS:X APO4 + DTS Interactive]

You don't set it to 5.1, it will play 5.1 if there is 5.1 to play, else it will play stereo if the input is stereo, try these tests and see if you get 5.1.
First i wanted to say: Yes...i know about it all.... NO! it doesnt work.
DDL work fine.
DDL\DTSI over spdif work fine too.
But this DOESNT. Not Sample file. Not games(prefered)

Hovewer. i found solution!
Yuo just need uncheck Disable Audio Enhanesment.
No one tell about it. but solution is simple!
Just uncheck and you have full 5.1 with DTS.

Attachments

• DTSUncheck.png
    DTSUncheck.png
    18.6 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Windows 11? I've heard you may need to disable then re-enable. Never had that issue though, both SPDIF and HDMI work without issues, still on Win10 myself.
Could also be the way the card works, but I don't think so. Windows 11 has audio changes, compared to Win10.

Even with Win10 some people say they cant get EFX working on the GPU, so sometimes it is the card-driver it uses.

----

I no longer have my 6900 XTX, but now a 7900 XT, I will test it soon. I stopped using HDMI (HDMI to TOSLink), Z906 does not benefit.

Last edited:
Interesting. So everything is working fine on Realtek (as you said), but third party GPU (HDMI) you disable enhancements, your image shows optical, so double checking.

Optical 1.png Optical 2.png

Interesting. So everything is working fine on Realtek (as you said), but third party GPU (HDMI) you disable enhancements, your image shows optical, so double checking.
Sorry. This is not my. This is your Pic =) I just get it an cut. Didn't see is "optical".
My setting is HDMI.

I cheked triple time. When box CHEKED, worked stereo. (2.1 i mean ) Actualy its a next problem. Too MUCH BASS-noise got from LFE. On DDL i have no this. As i understand it something like Bass redirection. Which not present in DDL (i miss this option actualy). But there is too much. How to fix?

Back to setting. When box UNCHECKED, work 5.1 (with same LFE "noise") What this setting actualy does?
Maybe this is my personal Issue. Cuz actualy i tryed MANY drivers and actualy never do claen install.
But who care if it useful for someone? =)

But now to your last pictures.
That's exactly what you have on the last card and there is an OPTICAL output.
Did you make software change the value of HDMI to optical? Please teach me how to do it.

I will look into it, but the LFE one I am not sure about, as far as I can tell Interactive does not have crossover, normally it would have Neo PC on SFX which upmixes and does crossover.
The Interactive portion of DTS Connect (which is two part system of Neo PC and Interactive), does have rear channel and possibly LFE channel gain, but no cross.

I admit when playing around in the past there was some oddity with bass, but so far I never worked that one out, and its been a while.

----

The last two images are Realtek optical (SPDIF), not HDMI. I instead use a unlocked-modified HDMI extractor to get HDMI to optical.
The EDID unlock makes the unit pass ALL audio down optical, the units default its up to [5.1 LPCM] for optical.

After contacting the OEM they later confirmed 7.1 LPCM over optical, so I modified the unit accordingly, and added all formats.

1679590939363.png

The last two images are Realtek optical (SPDIF), not HDMI. I instead use a unlocked-modified HDMI extractor to get HDMI to optical.
The EDID unlock makes the unit pass ALL audio down optical, the units default its up to [5.1 LPCM] for optical.
here:

About - "software" connecton type change.
You told that - "you can change it."
What do you mean? And how?

You will need to download and modify my 'External Speakers' package.

> Edit 'HDMI-SPDIF NRM.reg' removing the SPDIF line, and edit {DEVICE-ID} to the HDMI GUID (copy from FX Config).

1679592760037.png

> Do the same to 'HDMI-SPDIF SPK.reg', but edit the final value to 8 (which is SPDIF form factor).

1679592825342.png

> Edit the 'HDMI-SPDIF.bat' file so it looks like the image below, then follow the rest below.

1679592955188.png

----

This may work more as you need:

timeout 0
regedit /s "%windir%\Fixes\HDMI-SPDIF SPK.reg"
net stop audiosrv & net start audiosrv & timeout 6
regedit /s "%windir%\Fixes\HDMI-SPDIF NRM.reg"
exit

====

Copy the 'Fixes' folder to your 'Windows' folder (example C:\Windows), can be any drive letter. Then open 'Task Scheduler'.
Right click in the middle panel and select import, import both .xml files in 'Hidden' or 'Visible' (not both).

1677661258790.png

Attachments

• SPDIF -Before.png
    SPDIF -Before.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 55
  • SPDIF - HDMI.png
    SPDIF - HDMI.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 58
  • After - Panels.png
    After - Panels.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 64
  • After - Atmos.png
    After - Atmos.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 63
Last edited:
You will need to download and modify my 'External Speakers' package.
Please explain me.

1. A cheked 10 time but cant see necessery for all this step. All process is simple toward to 1 step. Is change 9 to 8 in registry.
Even not need to start\stop audio services. it change imediatly. Only matter is go back before restart\turnoff
this is correct?
2. I do all you describe. I wasted many time by trying, but my idea is fail.

Let me tell.
1. I patched and then installed realtek 6.0.1.8004 (i thin is not important it may be 6.3 etc)
2. It enable two options in sound settings Dolby Digital live (5.1 sorround), DTS Interactive (5.1 surround) however only Digital Output but not HDMI
3. I thinked that when i change type of connection, I have acess to both this Format. Miracle was not happen... this Formats not apear.

but im sure it possible transfer this APO to HDMI (your prevois instruction prove it)

If you understand what i want to do. Can you help to make this config?

It seems my S1220A (ALC 1168), does have multichannel effects as part of the device. Also note, no policy edits are required to run DTS APO4 or DTS Interactive with the latest set of drivers.

With my old 889, I had to remove the Dolby speaker settings (5.1 as side not rear), and add 24 bit recording support that the OEM forgot to add to the devices policy.
The 889 had native support for 24 bit microphone-other, and when using the MS drivers, the policy is ignored (not read), and I would see 24 bit.

Only edit the devices policy if needed, or if you know what options to enable-disable using the app.

S1220A.png

Some options may not be named to start with. Press the red 'X' to delete.

----

Quick guide: Press 'Get Policy Driver', which loads your devices policy, modify as you need (tick-untick), press 'Save' (next to 'Load').
A policy file (RTKHDAUD.dat) is then created on the disk drive, the modified policy is read from disk on start-up.

Make sure the 'DrvCtrl' is ticked in the left side column, when enabling a feature in the right panel.

DrvCtrl 20 > 3-Vista24bitRecord = 24 bit recording.

----

If you make a mistake, delete the created policy, reboot to bios, disable onboard sound, boot to Windows, restart and enable.

====

I definitely prefer SPDIF in HT mode.

Last edited:
How to fully reset Windows audio:

Disable all recording and playback devices in the sound panel > boot to bios and disable HD audio > boot to Windows [wait for full load + some minutes].
Reboot to bios and enable HD audio > boot to Windows > wait > enable recording then playback > wait > restart.

This can be due to system updates, or sometimes Windows is just an unexplainable deek.com.

----

Did a fresh install of Windows 22H2 (previously had 22H1), has some Windows related issues for some time before it was stable.
Even had an early issue of the registry resetting changes I made, which again I could not explain, works now......

The good news is so far the current package is considerably more stable than previous versions, even E-APO with the reg edit.
If you are using E-APO and are not using the reg edit, you can get some issues with SPDIF cutting out.

So far the only issues I have been having are Window related, and not package related.

Attachments

• 1680036330702.png
    1680036330702.png
    4.4 MB · Views: 40
Got a question. Maybe even create a new topic?
How to deal with the sound lag in Dolbi digital live and DTS interactive mode?
Also...wich one better for it? And it depend on work type via spdif, hdmi and hdmi=>tv=> spdif?
Some lag very uncomfortable.
Someway to decrease?

Interesting, I get no lag with SPDIF-HDMI with this package. Last I checked I also got no lag with analogue in stereo mode and APO4 is slowest in stereo mode.

I'm guessing you mean this?:

Let me tell.
1. I patched and then installed realtek 6.0.1.8004 (i thin is not important it may be 6.3 etc)
2. It enable two options in sound settings Dolby Digital live (5.1 sorround), DTS Interactive (5.1 surround) however only Digital Output but not HDMI
3. I thinked that when i change type of connection, I have acess to both this Format. Miracle was not happen... this Formats not apear.

but im sure it possible transfer this APO to HDMI (your prevois instruction prove it)

If you understand what i want to do. Can you help to make this config?

Well, I cant really help you with the custom install so much, but I can tell you I spent hours with this package to minimise stereo lag to: not humanly noticeable.
In contrast to your comment, the third party versions of DTS-Dolby will be better off, since they are not patched Realtek files.

In the past installing E-APO on SFX fixed lag issues, wont do much now with the latest package.

Note: Only the legacy Realtek APO file can be patched. Meaning third party versions can be seen with newer packages.

Attachments

• 1680038507214.png
    1680038507214.png
    140.5 KB · Views: 41
  • 1680038553229.png
    1680038553229.png
    141.4 KB · Views: 40
  • 1680038846618.png
    1680038846618.png
    4.1 MB · Views: 45
I'm guessing you mean this?:
No. The previous question is a separate question. And maybe you can help mt make a "reroute" someday =)
The delays that I'm talking about now are just with the latest (well, or I think that the latest) In any case, DTS interactive is just according to your latest instructions. Well, I don't know... from my point of view it's about 50-100ms. I would like to know for sure that this is my "receiver" making a delay or the TV is to blame or even from the PC side.

Unfortunately that is possible, even my HDMI to TOSLink is instant. In both cases the Z906 is the receiver (has two optical in ports).
Look for enhancements on the receiver, and try to turn everything off, so its not doing anything but decoding.

Unfortunately that is possible, even my HDMI to TOSLink is instant. In both cases the Z906 is the receiver (has two optical in ports).
Look for enhancements on the receiver, and try to turn everything off, so its not doing anything but decoding.
is simplest model. Disabled all what can it be...
How do you measure "lag"? On eye? Or it can be some simple soft\hard solution?
upd.
look on your z906. yeah... it maybe fastert than my cuz it only speakers with builtin decoder.
Some day ago i have portable decoder dolby to 5.1 line out. And it has lag too. (but it was chinees))

Last edited:
You could try 'Rebuild Endpoints' using FX config, then restart Windows, sometimes Windows does not fully remove device endpoints from the registry.
If you have used any of my .reg files on a device, you will need to repeat the process, as they will all now have new GUID's.

Some devices will need setting up again after the rebuild, volume and some other settings do get saved.

----

If I made up an endpoint entry manually, and called it {DEVICE-ID}, DTS and other APO's can read this entry, and then add {DEVICE-ID} to their list.

1680042298315.png

You could try 'Rebuild Endpoints' using FX config, then restart Windows
with my experiment il do it many times...
But now i have new question))
I have nvidia. wich displayed 4 audio devices.
The thing is... it switch betwen two first. It depend on...im not sure... when you switch to TV via Win+p, or turn on TV... or you BOOT windows with TV turned ON...
(taht actaly litle bit helped me...cuz for now i set dts-I by your instruction and seccond worked with DDL. ))) not perfect but some. And quation is...it possible stabilize it(mean output)? Or can i force select it by myself?

Also third question borned now!! (yeah))))
It is possible to NOT DISABLE HDMI AUDIO when iturn off TV? so...screen will not blink and audo device will not switch too.

Not sure I follow the last post, but I will try. Make sure both devices show in Windows sound panel, then select the one you want as default.
Sometimes if you select a default without the other one plugged in, it can switch to the other output if plugged in.

No its not possible to keep the HDMI up as there is an EDID to read from the device, not plugged in, no power means no EDID.

Edit: Where did you get Dolby Digital Live (DDL) from btw? If you say from patched Realtek I will be very un-amused.

Last edited:
No its not possible to keep the HDMI up as there is an EDID to read from the device, not plugged in, no power means no EDID.
force soft switch this port to SPDIF type will not help as i understand...
Where did you get Dolby Digital Live (DDL) from btw?
you ask about full name? it call just Dolby Digital. As i understand is a part of PCEE driver wich i used before. (but i removed it and install your...) perhaps...it stay on system.