• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

My games stutter w/ mouse lag (13900k/4090/3080) - Need Help

Guys, I need your help. It's taken me a long time to post a thread because I'm prideful and have a lot of experience with computers, but I Just can't seem to figure out what the heck is going on.

Also, let me apologize in advance if this post is longer than it needs to be.

My Specs:
RTX 4090
RTX 3080 <-- I swapped this in recently to rule out the 4090 being the problem.
32GB DDR5 6400 cl32 (FULLY STABLE)
1tb Samsung 980 Pro m2 NVME 4.0
1TB Sabrent NVME 3.0
MSI MAG z790 Tomahawk Wifi
Asus Prime z790-a WIFI <-- My previous board. I purchased a new one to rule out a bad board.
MSI MPG A1000G PSU - 1000w pcie 5.0 / atx 3.0 - Solid PSU
Corsair HX1000 Platinum - My previous PSU. Purchased a new one to rule out a bad PSU.
360 AIO <-- Yes, installed correctly, temps are fantastic. I've changed thermal paste many times as well.
I've used my system w/ and w/out a LGA 1700 contact frame to lower temps. On my current build I decided to run it w/ the stock retention bracket on the mobo to be safe.
Windows 11 & 10 Partitions - Tried 22h2, 21h2, 20h2, etc. I've also tried slimmed down OS versions like ghost spectre, and other modified os vers

The problem I'm dealing with is unplayable game stutter/lag and mouse lag. The problem I have is quite the mystery and I'd like to think I've tried everything, but that can't be true or my games would be working. I primarily play AFPS, and competed in quake 3 professionally back in its heyday. Nowadays I just play for fun but I can't have any fun if my game is lagging and my mouse speed is constantly changing due to mouse lag. The game I'm having the biggest issue w/ is Diabotical. I'll also play Quake Champions, but the game is not responsive and everything seems delayed. Now, I will admit up front, the game Diabotical probably needs an optimization update and I'm not convinced it's been updated for Intel's new hybrid Big/Little architecture (P & E cores). However, I seem to have the same issue on more than one build, 2 being Intel (1 of which is a 10900k), 1 being AMD. This game seems to work perfectly fine for other people, most of them on rocket/comet lake, but some also on Alder/Raptor. I've also spoken w/ the DEVS and they seem to think these CPU(s) are perfectly fine for this game.

Here's my issue in detail. For starters, my FPS is high and I don't get FPS drops. My games are just severely lagged and it's like I'm 500ms behind on everything. Shots are delayed, and the sound tick from landing shots is also delayed. Hit registration is awful. I always test the game's performance by jumping in a practice game against a bot where I just lg them and warmup a little bit. The enemy model that I'm trying to land shots on moves erratically. Sometimes the bot movement speeds up or slows down, or instantly changes direction in a stutter like fashion. When I land shots, the bot stutters like crazy and my mouse begins to lag. Also, when I land a shot, the sound register is slightly delayed or behind. It's like the game is completely desynced or something of that nature and I'm behind by .1-.5 seconds. The game becomes a sick joke, because the model often moving erratically making it impossible to track properly, and shots don't always register when my crosshair is perfectly on the model. Like I said before, It's like I'm behind what's actually happening on the screen by a fraction of a second. When I'm actually in game, this makes it impossible for me to dodge shots because they hit me far before the projectile every even gets to me. Everything I'm seeing feels like I'm 500ms behind, it's bad and absolutely infuriating at this point. It's unplayable. It's also good to note that the sound of landing shots often changes. When the game is running fine, the landed shots sound more like a flicker. When it's not running well, the landed shot sounds changes to a deeper sound that can't seem to keep up w/ the amount of shots I'm landing. It's bizarre.

Now, let me save you guys some time on some obvious questions. I'll give you some important info and also let you know the primary things I've tried.

1) Yes, my temps are great. No throttling of any kind. I pass all stability tests and have run full memory tests and passed using TM5 w/ custom profiles, aida and other popular memory stress/stability testers.
2) My system meets all expected benchmark results using tools like Cinebench and others. So my cpu is performing just fine.
3) I've replaced every piece of hardware in my system due to desperation to rule out bad hardware. I don't think I have any bad piece of hardware. If I do, I have really bad luck. I've changed out my PSU, motherboard, GPU, tried swapping my 13900k with a 13700k and 12700k that I also have on hand. I've tried multiple memory kits , same results.
4) Tried disabling xmp and running optimized defaults. Tried 1 stick of ram, etc.
5) I've experimented w/ probably almost every BIOS config combination to rule out a setting conflicting w/ the game.
6) I've tested disabling c-states, eist (speedstep), speedshift, etc. Also tried various combinations of these settings.
7) Tried disabling rebar, game mode, game bar, gpu hardware scheduling.
8) I've tried virtually every single OS version from Windows 11 versions to different Windows 10 version. I'm currently running a Windows 11 and Windows 10 partition. Yes I know, Windows 11 is ideal for alder/raptor due to the thread director.
9) Tried installing older directx versions. Tried installing every c++ redistributable version and even tried different combinations of each version.
10) Powerplan of course is set to High or Ultimate or Bitsum. I've tried ensuring cores are unparked, even left core parking to default of 4% to see if that would make a difference.
11) I've tried fully disabling Windows Defender, Core Isolation, adding exclusions, etc, to see if it's a security feature bricking the game.
12) Loaded the game on fresh OS installs w/ bare min optimizations like High Performance for CPU/GPU, w/ no application installed to see if a 3rd party app was causing the issue.
13) I've tried changing USB ports, disabling all power savings on USB ports. Even tried disconnecting USB 3.0 and USB C front panel headers to see if those were faulty. I've changed my case at this point too.
14) I've DDU'd my nvidia drivers a million times but once the game begins stuttering it seems only a FULL OS reinstall will fix it, but only temporarily. The problem always comes back.
15) I've attempted setting interrupt core affinities, ensured devices are in MSI mode, changing application priorities, etc.
16) I've gone through a zillion different windows debloaters to remove uneccessary items and services that could be conflicting.
17) Forgot to mention I've attempted disabling e-cores, also setting affinity to only p-cores in the OS. Also tested HT on/off.
18) Also tested running a static overclock of 5.5ghz w/ both a static and dynamic voltage. Was able to reach stability on either.
19) I've suspected network issues but I experience the same issue when I'm only warming up against a bot with my ethernet unplugged and NIC disabled. I've also tried bypassing my router and go straight to the modem. All network tests always come back stellar.
20) I've also used Latency Monitor to troubleshoot dpc latency and my system is in fantastic shape in this area. I always find the best drivers that provide the lowest latency. Latency is a big deal with me.
21) I've also suspected bad power. Perhaps fluctuating power or a bad ground. I've had these tested and power seems to be good. I've run off UPS's rated for 1500 watts and currently use a fairly high end power conditioner from Tripp Lite rated for 1800w to help eliminate any possible EMI related issues.
22) I've also disabled/enabled onboard sound, tried different sound cards, usb headsets, etc.

There's a lot of things I've left out, but these are the main ones that immediately come to mind. The weird thing is that everytime I make a change and the game begins to run perfectly, I think I've fixed it, but the issue just comes back w/ a vengeance and doesn't go away. An example of this is when I uninstalled all C++ redistributables on my system and only installed the the latest (2015-2022), the game suddenly started behaving properly. I was able to get 2-3 games in.. The next day, the problem is back. A DEV also told me that I don't even need to have any C++ installed for Diabotical because the DLLs are provided w/ thle game and run off that.

I've hit a wall at this point and already close to losing my damn mind. I have to be missing something.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

Forgot to mention I have a fully updated bios, chipset and me drivers installed. All latest.

Boripheus

Did you find any way to fix it? I have the same problem with similar PC specs. I'm on the verge of selling my PC and moving away from gaming.

System Name Sunk Cost Fallacy
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock B650E Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120
Memory 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB 6000 CL30 (A-Die)
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio
Storage WD Black SN850X 1TB + 2x 2TB, 2x 4TB Crucial MX500, 4TB Samsung 870 Evo.
Display(s) Alienware AW2723DF, LG 27GR93U, LG 27GN950-B
Case Streacom BC1 V2
Audio Device(s) Bose Companion Series 2 III, Sennheiser GSP600 and HD599 SE - Creative Soundblaster X4
Power Supply bequiet! Dark Power Pro 12 1500w Titanium
Mouse Logitech GPRO X Superlight & G502 X
Keyboard Corsair K65 RGB Mini, Razer Black Widow V3 TKL
VR HMD Oculus Rift S
which Mouse and Keyboard do you use?

Boripheus

Mine are

Keyboard:
- Logitech G Pro X Shroud RGB Wired Gaming
Mouse:
- Logitech G Pro X Superlight Wireless

System Name ibuytheusedstuff
Processor 5960x
Motherboard x99 sabertooth
Cooling old socket775 cooler
Memory 32 Viper
Video Card(s) 1080ti on morpheus 1
Storage raptors+ssd
Display(s) acer 120hz
Case open bench
Audio Device(s) onb
Power Supply antec 1200 moar power
Mouse mx 518
Keyboard roccat arvo
so you tried it with a 10900k and got the same problem ?

i only use this and got no probs:

and lastly what monitor are ya using. got a chance to test with another?
i just say this because it looks like you know what you are doing and that could be the last thing to try

Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar b650m wifi
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengeance 30CL6000
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Lexar NM790 4TB + Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial BX100 250GB
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Lian Li A3 mATX White
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W11 IoT Enterprise LTSC
What struck me here is that @Kokkatc has stuff running correctly for a short period of time, every time. This kind of eliminates hardware altogether as a possible cause. Shit either works or it doesn't, hardware barely if ever develops fatigue :)

I think Windows is auto updating something it shouldn't.
Look in that direction. The first suspects being C++ redistributables. Or go about it from the other angle: get (yet another... I know) clean OS/system, from scratch, and leave it disconnected from the internet or closely monitor what comes in over the line from the first boot with internet.

Set Windows to maximum delay on updates and hard disable any functions that make it do things in the background, wherever you can.
Or. Roll back to 10... Even just to rule things out that might be an interesting case altogether, even if you need 11 in the end.

System Name Spam
Processor i9-12900K PL1=125 TA=56 PL2=288
Motherboard MSI MAG B660M Mortar WiFi DDR4
Cooling Scythe Kaze Flex 120mm ARGB Fans x1 / Alphacool Eisbaer 360
Memory Mushkin Red Line DDR4 4000 16Gb x2 18-22-22-42 1T
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900 XT
Storage Team Group MP33 512Mb / 1Tb
Display(s) SAMSUNG Odyssey G50A (LS27AG500PNXZA) (2560x1440)
Case Lan-Li A3
Audio Device(s) Real Tek on Board Audio
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 850 GM
Mouse M910-K
Keyboard K636CLO
Software WIN 11 Pro
Did you install the Logitech drivers? If so, try un-installing them and see if it makes a difference. You may even want to try a different mouse and keyboard to see what happens.

Another driver that might cause this issue, is the Realtech HD audio driver. You might wat to see if Windows has basic one to try. And one last thing to try, is set your hard drives (Or make shore they are set to) to AHCI mode and not the Intel Rapid Storage mode. Note: switching this will probably make you reinstall windows or fix it.

Boripheus

For me, everything is sometimes good for a certain period of time, but then it starts going downhill, especially during close-range fights in Apex Legends. My mouse doesn't move where I want it to, and it feels like people's bullets don't register properly, almost like something out of the Matrix.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
Did you install the Logitech drivers? If so, try un-installing them and see if it makes a difference. You may even want to try a different mouse and keyboard to see what happens.

Another driver that might cause this issue, is the Realtech HD audio driver. You might wat to see if Windows has basic one to try. And one last thing to try, is set your hard drives (Or make shore they are set to) to AHCI mode and not the Intel Rapid Storage mode. Note: switching this will probably make you reinstall windows or fix it.
Building on that, get rid of as many 3rd party drivers as you can. Let Windows install the bare minimum, add the video card drivers and nothing else. See if that helps. Disable AV and any monitoring software you may have running. Sometimes these things work nicely by themselves, but interfere in arcane ways with each other.

Like others have said, I would cut the machine off from the Internet altogether, to avoid unwanted updates or network calls. But Idk if you have a game that plays offline to check things out afterwards.

And about the "I'm prideful and have a lot of experience with computers" part: "a smart man learns from experience, a wise man learns from other's experience" ;)

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Whenever I see a thread like this I always ask if you're running any system tray monitoring utilities. The worst culprits are often motherboard vendor monitoring/tuning suites.

For whatever reason, they're all all shit. Most of them are more about data collection and covert advertising than the job they're designed to do. Just don't use them, period. SO MANY TIMES (like 50+) I've had someone at work or at a LAN, or just a random friend mention it to me and I've told them to uninstall all the optional vendorbloat, 'value-add' software and they've come back to me overjoyed that their PC is finally running smoothly. When I first encountered it on my own machines over a decade ago, it took me a week of frustration using process monitor and to isolate the source of the interrupts and hitches. Asus' AI Suite was the culprit (or whatever it was called back then). I've since seen MSI and Gigabyte utilities cause the same stuttering at home. Thankfully, I never install it for work by default as we just throw sysprepped images onto our workstations.

If you've tried uninstalling that (for Asus, you may need to clean-reinstall Windows as it leaves crap behind) then the next culprit is usually RAM timings - but as Vayra points out, if it was working fine for a bit then it's unlikely to be unstable timings. DDR5 testing as stable could just mean that the internal ECC is doing its job and passing the test despite struggling. I dunno, I'm no DDR5 tuning veteran yet...

Boripheus

I believe I've resolved my issue. After conducting late-night testing, everything seems to be functioning well. I uninstalled all unnecessary drivers and only installed the ones required for my motherboard. I also disabled Bluetooth, WiFi, and the audio controller. Here's how it looks now.

1693288098273.png

Did you find any way to fix it? I have the same problem with similar PC specs. I'm on the verge of selling my PC and moving away from gaming.
My apologies on the delayed response. Took awhile for people to respond to this thread.

I do have an update on this and it's possible I may have resolved the issue. The game in question is called Diabotical. What happens is sometimes when I jump in and LG a bot just to see how performance is, sometimes it stutters hard when landing shots and the mouse lags along with it. Other times, there's no stutter. I'm actually working w/ one of the game devs on this because I'm almost certain this is a GAME problem, not a problem with my system.

So there's two things at play here. I discovered my stuttering changes when altering the game's ANTI-CHEAT (EasyAntiCheat) launch parameters. For example, setting easyanticheat_eos.exe to launch as admin or launch using compatibility mode settings to run as windows 8. I noticed when making these changes, my stuttering either got worse or slightly better. I also noticed that depending on which C++ redistributable I had installed, stuttering would be worse or better. The gamedev told me no c++ needs to be installed because it's included in their own game folders. However, I think they overlooked the fact that EAC needs C++ to run properly, in my case, the latest C++ redistributables. When EAC is installed, I believe it only installs the 2015-2019 version. Updating to the latest C++ 2015-2022 improves stuttering.

The next problem I have is that when actually in a wipeout match (4v4), I experience severe desync and my input latency feels like it increases to 500ms at times. It's absolutely horrible. The gamedev admitted to me they discovered some potential issues with how they're using the game's network API and are currently looking into it.

So in my case, I believe the issue for stuttering came down to the easyanticheat_eos.exe / service that runs in the background when the game is up.

What issue do you have exactly?

which Mouse and Keyboard do you use?
It's 100% not a mouse/keyboard issue. I've gone through several to rule out variables. I posted to another comment that gave light on the issue.

so you tried it with a 10900k and got the same problem ?

i only use this and got no probs:

and lastly what monitor are ya using. got a chance to test with another?
i just say this because it looks like you know what you are doing and that could be the last thing to try
Good call on this. There was a common denominator across all my systems, and it was the c++ redists installed and the game I was playing which is not fully optimized. The latest C++ in my case improves stuttering. W/ that said, easyanticheat appears to be somewhat broken with my game currently.

The monitor I'm using is the Asus PG27AQN (1440p 360hz IPS). I've actually switched out the monitor w/ 2 others already w/ the same results. I've also tried at least 3-5 different displayport cables, all VESA certified.

Whenever I see a thread like this I always ask if you're running any system tray monitoring utilities. The worst culprits are often motherboard vendor monitoring/tuning suites.

For whatever reason, they're all all shit. Most of them are more about data collection and covert advertising than the job they're designed to do. Just don't use them, period. SO MANY TIMES (like 50+) I've had someone at work or at a LAN, or just a random friend mention it to me and I've told them to uninstall all the optional vendorbloat, 'value-add' software and they've come back to me overjoyed that their PC is finally running smoothly. When I first encountered it on my own machines over a decade ago, it took me a week of frustration using process monitor and to isolate the source of the interrupts and hitches. Asus' AI Suite was the culprit (or whatever it was called back then). I've since seen MSI and Gigabyte utilities cause the same stuttering at home. Thankfully, I never install it for work by default as we just throw sysprepped images onto our workstations.

If you've tried uninstalling that (for Asus, you may need to clean-reinstall Windows as it leaves crap behind) then the next culprit is usually RAM timings - but as Vayra points out, if it was working fine for a bit then it's unlikely to be unstable timings. DDR5 testing as stable could just mean that the internal ECC is doing its job and passing the test despite struggling. I dunno, I'm no DDR5 tuning veteran yet...
This is a great point. For my game in particular, 3rd party apps (especially monitoring apps), love to hook into it and destroy performance. When testing, I always make sure all 3rd party apps are completely uninstalled from my system. Unfortunately the issue is not a 3rd party app in my case. I've tested off a fresh OS install many times with absolutely nothing installed except what's needed (chipset drivers, fresh gpu ddu driver install, no other apps except game launcher for game in question). I also removed all bloat, fully disabled gamebar/gamedvr, completely disabled and renamed gamebarpresencewriter and even disabled windows defender to ensure that wasn't interfering as well.

In regards to memory timings, I even spent a solid week tuning my RAM and getting it 100% stable. Memory passes all stress/stability tests using tools such as TM5 w/ absolut, ycruncher, occt, etc. This was a good exercise nonetheless because I learned my XMP was not stable. I had to lower frequency, raise CPU VDDQ, lower system agent, and set a static VDDQ TX (IVR Transmitter Voltage Asus). I also tweaked a bunch of secondary/tertiary timings to improve latency.

Last edited:
I believe I've resolved my issue. After conducting late-night testing, everything seems to be functioning well. I uninstalled all unnecessary drivers and only installed the ones required for my motherboard. I also disabled Bluetooth, WiFi, and the audio controller. Here's how it looks now.

View attachment 311094
Mind telling us which drivers you uninstalled?

Try a different SSD.
Yep, I've tried this already.

I've tried on a NVME Samsung 980 Pro, Sabrent 1TB NVME, and a 1TB 870 EVO SSD.

System Name Sunk Cost Fallacy
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock B650E Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120
Memory 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB 6000 CL30 (A-Die)
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio
Storage WD Black SN850X 1TB + 2x 2TB, 2x 4TB Crucial MX500, 4TB Samsung 870 Evo.
Display(s) Alienware AW2723DF, LG 27GR93U, LG 27GN950-B
Case Streacom BC1 V2
Audio Device(s) Bose Companion Series 2 III, Sennheiser GSP600 and HD599 SE - Creative Soundblaster X4
Power Supply bequiet! Dark Power Pro 12 1500w Titanium
Mouse Logitech GPRO X Superlight & G502 X
Keyboard Corsair K65 RGB Mini, Razer Black Widow V3 TKL
VR HMD Oculus Rift S
so either it's software on your PC or like why i asked earlier either not just a faulty mouse but a new 8KHz mouse, which is incompatible with a LOT of games causing lags, stuttering and other problems. but the mouse seems not to be the case.
if you format your drive, install windows, steam, a game and launch it without touching ANYTHING your issue is either gone or you have faulty hardware.
otherwise it's user "error" (crappy software, unnecessary pseudo "optimizations" or niche hardware with broken drivers.)

System Name Minotaur
Processor Intel I9 7940X
Motherboard Asus Strix Rog Gaming E X299
Cooling BeQuiet/ double-Fan
Memory 192Gb of RAM DDR4 2400Mhz
Video Card(s) 1)RX 6900XT BIOSTAR 16Gb***2)MATROX M9120LP
Storage 2 x ssd-Kingston 240Gb A400 in RAID 0+ HDD 500Gb +Samsung 128gbSSD +SSD Kinston 480Gb
Display(s) BenQ 28"EL2870U(4K-HDR) / Acer 24"(1080P) / Eizo 2336W(1080p) / 2x Eizo 19"(1280x1024)
Case NZXT H5 Flow
Audio Device(s) Realtek/Creative T20 Speakers
Power Supply F S P Hyper S 700W
Mouse Asus TUF-GAMING M3
Keyboard Func FUNC-KB-460/Mechanical Keyboard
VR HMD Oculus Rift DK2
Software Win 11
Benchmark Scores Fire Strike=23905,Cinebench R15=3167,Cinebench R20=7490.Passmark=30689,Geekbench4=32885
@Kokkatc Download LatencyMon and start testing it to see if you have issues with latencies with your hardware or possibly with certain driver that causing this problems...

Space Lynx

Astronaut
@Kokkatc have you tried command prompt admin sfc /scannow

also, you could have a corrupted usb drive that you are installing windows on, which in turn causes windows to be a mess, I found that out earlier this year after about 7 clean installs and my issues not going away. I got a new flash drive, new creation media of win 11 direct from microsoft on it, and all my problems went away. prob not your issue, but you would be surprised how many variables there are.

@Kokkatc have you tried command prompt admin sfc /scannow

also, you could have a corrupted usb drive that you are installing windows on, which in turn causes windows to be a mess, I found that out earlier this year after about 7 clean installs and my issues not going away. I got a new flash drive, new creation media of win 11 direct from microsoft on it, and all my problems went away. prob not your issue, but you would be surprised how many variables there are.
Appreciate the suggestion but thanks to this forum I came across this suggestion already. I've always used the same external hd to save all drivers and files too. I took this out of the equation and used a brand new USB to load the windows iso onto. I used to use Rufus and thought maybe Rufus was corrupting the install so I tried using the Windows media install app instead. I then used a brand new external HDD I purchased and downloaded all my drivers onto that to ensure my existing HDD wasn't corrupted or infected with malware or a virus. There are 3 separate USB drives I'm constantly using for OS installations and the problem exists regardless of USB so I think it's safe to say they aren't corrupted.

I think I'll go ahead and run some kind of diagnostics to check the health of my USB drives though since you brought it up just to ensure they're working and good.

What struck me here is that @Kokkatc has stuff running correctly for a short period of time, every time. This kind of eliminates hardware altogether as a possible cause. Shit either works or it doesn't, hardware barely if ever develops fatigue :)

I think Windows is auto updating something it shouldn't.
Look in that direction. The first suspects being C++ redistributables. Or go about it from the other angle: get (yet another... I know) clean OS/system, from scratch, and leave it disconnected from the internet or closely monitor what comes in over the line from the first boot with internet.

Set Windows to maximum delay on updates and hard disable any functions that make it do things in the background, wherever you can.
Or. Roll back to 10... Even just to rule things out that might be an interesting case altogether, even if you need 11 in the end.
Yeah man... I have a hard time believing there's any hardware fault issue. I've switched everything out, absolutely everything. So here's an interesting piece of information...

I have several motherboards and CPUs at this point. Whenever I change out my motherboard or CPU, I go ahead and just let windows load on the existing install (yes, I know this is bad), usually to make sure I have all the drivers I need or download the ones I missed before I do a fresh OS install. When Windows loads it says 'loading devices and driver's or something along those lines because the chipset drivers are no longer compatible with the swapped out mobo or CPU. I go ahead and jump in a game out of curiosity and when I do, everything feels PERFECT. No stuttering, mouse lag, etc. The game just works and everything is in sync. Windows update I'm sure installs drivers on login so the system can boot and usually the 'base system device' and maybe 3 pcie drivers couldn't get installed and have the yellow exclamation mark next to them in device manager. This bizarre occurrence has happened roughly 3-4 times now. Unfortunately after 2 more reboots, all the games go back to mush and they begin stuttering and my mouse lags.

After I experienced this so many times I decided to log the install date/time of every damn driver to see which ones changed so I could pinpoint which driver or driver(s) was responsible for the performance issues. When I thought I figured out which driver it was, uninstalling it or rolling it back made no difference so I was back at square one.

The problem I find with fully killing windows update and windows driver updates is that the Intel chipset drivers don't always update every driver in device manager to the latest. The pcie device drivers for example default to a driver dated 1968. They're called pci express root port #4 7a4c or something of that nature. The updated pcie drivers will be called just pci express root port or pci
Express root port complex dated 2006.

How do you think I should go about finding the driver culprit responsible for the mayhem?

Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar b650m wifi
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengeance 30CL6000
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Lexar NM790 4TB + Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial BX100 250GB
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Lian Li A3 mATX White
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W11 IoT Enterprise LTSC
Appreciate the suggestion but thanks to this forum I came across this suggestion already. I've always used the same external hd to save all drivers and files too. I took this out of the equation and used a brand new USB to load the windows iso onto. I used to use Rufus and thought maybe Rufus was corrupting the install so I tried using the Windows media install app instead. I then used a brand new external HDD I purchased and downloaded all my drivers onto that to ensure my existing HDD wasn't corrupted or infected with malware or a virus. There are 3 separate USB drives I'm constantly using for OS installations and the problem exists regardless of USB so I think it's safe to say they aren't corrupted.

I think I'll go ahead and run some kind of diagnostics to check the health of my USB drives though since you brought it up just to ensure they're working and good.

Yeah man... I have a hard time believing there's any hardware fault issue. I've switched everything out, absolutely everything. So here's an interesting piece of information...

I have several motherboards and CPUs at this point. Whenever I change out my motherboard or CPU, I go ahead and just let windows load on the existing install (yes, I know this is bad), usually to make sure I have all the drivers I need or download the ones I missed before I do a fresh OS install. When Windows loads it says 'loading devices and driver's or something along those lines because the chipset drivers are no longer compatible with the swapped out mobo or CPU. I go ahead and jump in a game out of curiosity and when I do, everything feels PERFECT. No stuttering, mouse lag, etc. The game just works and everything is in sync. Windows update I'm sure installs drivers on login so the system can boot and usually the 'base system device' and maybe 3 pcie drivers couldn't get installed and have the yellow exclamation mark next to them in device manager. This bizarre occurrence has happened roughly 3-4 times now. Unfortunately after 2 more reboots, all the games go back to mush and they begin stuttering and my mouse lags.

After I experienced this so many times I decided to log the install date/time of every damn driver to see which ones changed so I could pinpoint which driver or driver(s) was responsible for the performance issues. When I thought I figured out which driver it was, uninstalling it or rolling it back made no difference so I was back at square one.

The problem I find with fully killing windows update and windows driver updates is that the Intel chipset drivers don't always update every driver in device manager to the latest. The pcie device drivers for example default to a driver dated 1968. They're called pci express root port #4 7a4c or something of that nature. The updated pcie drivers will be called just pci express root port or pci
Express root port complex dated 2006.

How do you think I should go about finding the driver culprit responsible for the mayhem?
That's not how I generally install a new board/CPU to be honest. I don't leave it to Windows at all.

Get a Windows USB boot stick, disconnect from the internet, repartition your OS drive and go from there. Make sure you have the chipset drivers on that stick as well, plus any other 3rd party stuff you might want from the board's software suite. Install the whole shebang offline. Make sure Windows prompts for any update it wants to install. When you're done, reboot and run a first test; if you have software to test on that is. Next, go into System > About > Advanced system settings or through group policy edit to disable any automatic driver updates by Windows update.

If all is well, make sure Windows Defender/some protection is active and connect to the internet. If you have chipset, GPU and other hardware devices installed now, Windows should only be grabbing security updates and large releases from Update. DO NOT update anything manually such as pcie drivers & whatnot. And if you do, use only the mobo manufacturer's website to get them for manual install.

You may have tried this exact approach already, but perhaps not quite, in either case this is how you truly rule out Windows automatic shenanigans. Its fine if a pci express root is ancient driver wise, it just needs to do basics.

Last edited:
System Name Main PC
Processor 13700k
Motherboard Asrock Z690 Steel Legend D4 - Bios 13.02
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32 Gig 3200CL14
Video Card(s) 4080 RTX SUPER FE 16G
Storage 1TB 980 PRO, 2TB SN850X, 2TB DC P4600, 1TB 860 EVO, 2x 3TB WD Red, 2x 4TB WD Red
Display(s) LG 27GL850
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster AE-9
Power Supply Antec HCG 750 Gold
Software Windows 10 21H2 LTSC
Normally I would say if its a low lag mouse with extreme levels of polling, that could be overloading the system but the latest build of Win11 fixes that now. So thats probably not the cause at least.

System Name Personal computers
Processor Ryzen 5 7600X & Ryzen 7 7700
Motherboard Asrock X670E Steel Legend / Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite
Cooling Deep Cool AK620 / Stock cooler
Memory G.Skill Flare X5 / Corsair Vengeance RGB
Video Card(s) Asus TUF gaming RX 7900 XTX OC edition / iGPU
Storage 1 + 2TB T-Force Cardea A440 pro / 2 x Kingston KC3000 1TB
Display(s) Asus TUF Gaming VG34VQL3A / Samsung C32G55TQWE
Case MSI MPG Sekira 100R / Silverstone Redline mATX
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar AE 7.1 + Audio Technica -AD500X / Onboard + Creative 2.1 soundbar
Power Supply Corsair RM1000x V2 / Corsair RM750x V2
Mouse MSI Clutch GM20 Elite / CM Reaper
Keyboard Logitech G512 Carbon / MSI G30 Vigor
OP, not sure if the Z790 MSI board your using has a utilities download option in the bios? I know my Gigabyte B650 board has that & its one of the first things I turn off before installing windows. It was a backdoor for potential spyware as well until Gigabyte patched it up recently. Look it up, it was quite a fiasco when this was discovered.

D

Deleted member 232534

IMO the psu is wrong pick, 1000watt is too much causing inefficiency,,

btw what is the display?

Processor 5800X3D
Motherboard ROG Strix X570-F Gaming
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280
Memory G Skill F4-3800C14-8GTZN
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6900xt Red Devil
Storage Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 250GB [232 GB], Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 500GB
Display(s) Samsung C32HG7xQQ (DisplayPort)
Case Graphite Series™ 730T Full-Tower Case
Power Supply Corsair RM1000x
Mouse Basillisk X Hyperspeed
Keyboard Blackwidow Ultimate
Software Win 10 Home
Download LatencyMon run the application and see if you have high latency on your computer, if so open the device manager and see if there is anything that is listed 2 times, pay special attention to system devices,it is known that Nvidia cards have a problem and create high latency, if something like this happens you will have to go to the Nvidia forums for a solution.

System Name Minotaur
Processor Intel I9 7940X
Motherboard Asus Strix Rog Gaming E X299
Cooling BeQuiet/ double-Fan
Memory 192Gb of RAM DDR4 2400Mhz
Video Card(s) 1)RX 6900XT BIOSTAR 16Gb***2)MATROX M9120LP
Storage 2 x ssd-Kingston 240Gb A400 in RAID 0+ HDD 500Gb +Samsung 128gbSSD +SSD Kinston 480Gb
Display(s) BenQ 28"EL2870U(4K-HDR) / Acer 24"(1080P) / Eizo 2336W(1080p) / 2x Eizo 19"(1280x1024)
Case NZXT H5 Flow
Audio Device(s) Realtek/Creative T20 Speakers
Power Supply F S P Hyper S 700W
Mouse Asus TUF-GAMING M3
Keyboard Func FUNC-KB-460/Mechanical Keyboard
VR HMD Oculus Rift DK2
Software Win 11
Benchmark Scores Fire Strike=23905,Cinebench R15=3167,Cinebench R20=7490.Passmark=30689,Geekbench4=32885
Download LatencyMon run the application and see if you have high latency on your computer, if so open the device manager and see if there is anything that is listed 2 times, pay special attention to system devices,it is known that Nvidia cards have a problem and create high latency, if something like this happens you will have to go to the Nvidia forums for a solution.
I already told him that but seems like OP knows for better :) ......

That's not how I generally install a new board/CPU to be honest. I don't leave it to Windows at all.

Get a Windows USB boot stick, disconnect from the internet, repartition your OS drive and go from there. Make sure you have the chipset drivers on that stick as well, plus any other 3rd party stuff you might want from the board's software suite. Install the whole shebang offline. Make sure Windows prompts for any update it wants to install. When you're done, reboot and run a first test; if you have software to test on that is. Next, go into System > About > Advanced system settings or through group policy edit to disable any automatic driver updates by Windows update.

If all is well, make sure Windows Defender/some protection is active and connect to the internet. If you have chipset, GPU and other hardware devices installed now, Windows should only be grabbing security updates and large releases from Update. DO NOT update anything manually such as pcie drivers & whatnot. And if you do, use only the mobo manufacturer's website to get them for manual install.

You may have tried this exact approach already, but perhaps not quite, in either case this is how you truly rule out Windows automatic shenanigans. Its fine if a pci express root is ancient driver wise, it just needs to do basics.
Just to clarify, I always do a fresh OS install off a USB either created by Rufus or windows media creation. After changing out my CPU or mobo, I jump into windows on the existing install for kicks. When games actually performed properly in these scenarios it lead me to believe there is some kind of driver issue somewhere. Finding the conflicting driver however has been difficult, but I do have a positive update! I may have figured it out after refocusing on drivers thx to you guys!

So I loaded up hardware store explorer and took a screenshot of every driver installed on my system right after I changed out the mobo/CPU. If I went straight to a fresh install, other drivers would have been installed and my games wouldn't be performing so I wouldn't know where to start besides using latency monitor to troubleshoot driver dpc latency. I then went ahead and did a fresh install, network always disconnected fyi, installed Intel me, Intel me firmware, chipset drivers and gpu. After this I fully updated Windows and let windows update do the rest. I jump in a game and everything is stuttering again.

I go ahead and load hardware store explorer and compare the drivers installed to the screenshot I took earlier before the fresh install. The primary differences were several nahimic drivers, extensions and software components. I also found a couple of a-volute driver extensions and software components. I force deleted all of these and their drivers and my stuttering/mouse lag in game amazingly appeared to be fixed!

Now I'm not holding my breath because I thought I have solved this a dozen times and the issue normally comes back after a day or so, so I'm going to keep a close eye on drivers to ensure none are installed with out my knowing. Nahimic and a-volute btw are realtek audio enhancements, apparently trash. The other fix was making sure the latest c++ was installed even though the game only installed c++ 2015-2020.

I'll keep everyone posted!