• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Keyboard sizes....

What size Keyboard do you prefer

• Total voters
System Name boomer--->zoomer not your typical millenial build
Processor i5-760 @ 3.8ghz + turbo ~goes wayyyyyyyyy fast cuz turboooooz~
Motherboard P55-GD80 ~best motherboard ever designed~
Cooling NH-D15 ~double stack thot twerk all day~
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix LP ~memory gone AWOL~
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 970 ~*~GOLDEN EDITION~*~ RAWRRRRRR
Storage 500GB Samsung 850 Evo (OS X, *nix), 128GB Samsung 840 Pro (W10 Pro), 1TB SpinPoint F3 ~best in class
Display(s) ASUS VW246H ~best 24" you've seen *FULL HD* *1O80PP* *SLAPS*~
Case FT02-W ~the W stands for white but it's brushed aluminum except for the disgusting ODD bays; *cries*
Audio Device(s) A LOT
Power Supply 850W EVGA SuperNova G2 ~hot fire like champagne~
Mouse CM Spawn ~cmcz R c00l seth mcfarlane darawss~
Keyboard CM QF Rapid - Browns ~fastrrr kees for fstr teens~
Software integrated into the chassis
Benchmark Scores 9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999
I’m switching between 40 and 60 lately, but this is the wrong forum to ask and get anything resembling objective results. There’s a real aversion to less than full-size boards from many very vocal users here for some reason. Only odd because people here seem to think there’s a lack of full-size keyboards on the market, but there are a ton of 100%+ models but TPU doesn’t cover keyboard like that.

D

Deleted member 229121

I’m switching between 40 and 60 lately, but this is the wrong forum to ask and get anything resembling objective results. There’s a real aversion to less than full-size boards from many very vocal users here for some reason. Only odd because people here seem to think there’s a lack of full-size keyboards on the market, but there are a ton of 100%+ models but TPU doesn’t cover keyboard like that.

Arrested Development Tobias GIF

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
Processor 7800X3D┃5800X3D
Motherboard B650E PG-ITX┃X570 Impact
Cooling NH-U12A + T30┃AXP120-x67
Memory 64GB 6400CL32┃32GB 3600CL14
Video Card(s) RTX 4070 Ti Eagle┃RTX A2000
Storage 8TB of SSDs┃1TB SN550
Case Caselabs S3┃Lazer3D HT5
Made some edits to the poll, please re-vote

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aero G R1.1 BiosF5g
Cooling Noctua NH-C12P SE14 w/ NF-A15 HS-PWM Fan 1500rpm
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 2x32GB D.S. D.R. (CT2K32G4DFD832A)
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6800 - Asus Tuf
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB & 2TB & 4TB Corsair MP600 Pro LPX
Display(s) LG 27UL550-W (27" 4k)
Case Be Quiet Pure Base 600 (no window)
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220-VB
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex V Gold Pro 850W ATX Ver2.52
Mouse Mionix Naos Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe with browns
Software W10 22H2 Pro x64
I have a regular full size keyboard...............but I think I would prefer one with the numpad on the left instead of the right...............

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Honest questions (as a TKL 80% fan):

1. What is it that makes you go "I need a smaller keyboard"? Do you pop it in a pocket and travel with it regularly, or do you have other physical/environmental constraints that warrant a keyboard narrower than the ~35cm of a TKL?

2. There are actual missing keys from anything smaller than 80%. I don't think the missing keys from a 75% or 65% are too critical to casual users and non-gamers, but you can't really get away with Fn+key combos for gaming, coding, scripting. Do you do any of those things?

3. How do you find using other keyboards that aren't your layout, and are you a touch-typist?

I've used so many keyboards and keyboard layouts I've lost count, and I learned to use keyboards with one of these so I was raised on layers:
1693350502584.png

Having sampled so many keyboards over so many years, I truly value a standard layout. It may not seem like much but 90wpm with 99%+ accuracy is just so much more effective than 60wpm with 95% accuracy, and more keys around my WASD cluster is a boon for gaming. I don't unplug my keyboard(s) and take them with me, and I don't have a desk or lap so small that I need to shave two keys of width off my keyboard. That's my perspective, so what's yours?

As to the vocal anti-small keyboard people here, I guess I'm one of them. I support over a thousand users and obviously there are a few keyboard enthusiasts in that group - but the overwhelming majority, as in actually over 99% do not like small keyboards - yet the Youtubers and reviewers all seem to get sent teeny tiny keyboards with missing keys that compromise functionality for some reason. I suspect it's "cool" to have a teeny tiny keyboard in your "show off your desk" threads, because that's what the Youtubers who get sent free keyboards use. I don't know why. It seems disproportionate to the real world data of what size keyboards people want/buy. Perhaps small keyboards are more profitable, perhaps there's some genuine reason that I'm overlooking, but to me (and this is just my personal opinion without any hard data to back it up) I strongly suspect based on my own sample size of users that >95% of people want full-size or 80% keyboards at a minimum - and the overwhelming majority of reviews and press coverage is exclusively smaller layouts that aren't what most people actually want.

That is why I'm vocal - the possibility that we are being manipulated by manufacturers, or misrepresented by a lack of keyboard reviewers interested in "normal" keyboards that most people actually want.

I don't think there's anything wrong with having smaller keyboards on the market, nor do I begrudge having reviews of those keyboards. Even if I'm not going to buy them, I still read @VSG's reviews - but wherever you look, the reviews, the hype, the advertising, and the PR is disproportionately 75% or smaller layouts. When was the last TPU review of a full-sized keyboard, for example? (April, and November 2022 before that) and we've had 25+ smaller layout reviews. It's not a pattern exclusive to TPU, of course - I'm just using this site as an example where a minority of the audience gets 80-90% of the review coverage, and the majority of the audience is unserved. If that's where the money is, I can certainly see that's where the marketing and review samples are going to be, too.

I have a regular full size keyboard...............but I think I would prefer one with the numpad on the left instead of the right...............
TLK and separate numpad. A few southpaws at the office have requested that and I can totally see why.

Last edited:
Storage 500GB Samsung 850 Evo (OS X, *nix), 128GB Samsung 840 Pro (W10 Pro), 1TB SpinPoint F3 ~best in class
Case FT02-W ~the W stands for white but it's brushed aluminum except for the disgusting ODD bays; *cries*
Audio Device(s) A LOT
Benchmark Scores 9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999
What is it that makes you go "I need a smaller keyboard"? Do you pop it in a pocket and travel with it regularly, or do you have other physical/environmental constraints that warrant a keyboard narrower than the ~35cm of a TKL?
Ergonomics is why for me
There are actual missing keys from anything smaller than 80%. I don't think the missing keys from a 75% or 65% are too critical to casual users and non-gamers, but you can't really get away with Fn+key combos for gaming,
Don’t need combos for the majority of games
coding, scripting.
Macros are fun
Do you do any of those things?
Yes
How do you find using other keyboards that aren't your layout,
Have to get used to every new layout
and are you a touch-typist?
Yup, with similar accuracy, just takes a few days to get used to things

This is what I meant though — go to stack exchange or GitHub and you’ll find people love 60/65% keyboards despite missing keys or whatever. If anything, for me, combos are way faster than reaching for keys, despite the learning curve. I have a separate numpad for those occasions, but even playing around with 40%, as inconvenient as it is, is more productive for me than a full-size.

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
  1. What is it that makes you go "I need a smaller keyboard"? Do you pop it in a pocket and travel with it regularly, or do you have other physical/environmental constraints that warrant a keyboard narrower than the ~35cm of a TKL?

2. There are actual missing keys from anything smaller than 80%. I don't think the missing keys from a 75% or 65% are too critical to casual users and non-gamers, but you can't really get away with Fn+key combos for gaming, coding, scripting. Do you do any of those things?

3. How do you find using other keyboards that aren't your layout, and are you a touch-typist?

I am a TKL user now, but was exclusively 60% for a very long time. It's not a stretch to say that basically the entire custom keyboard scene originated from 60%, as soon as the V60/Poker style layout was standardized. You want cases, PCBs, plates? Sure, as long as it's 60%. Nowadays you'll find plenty of customs of all sizes, but back in the day that wasn't the case.

It's not that hard to get used to shortcut keys on a 60%. Fn layer is your friend. That said.......when you get into more complex games and the sim community in general, the lack of function row and arrow keys becomes very painful.

This was also when I flew all the time with my PC; 60% is the perfect size for travel. I've had 66% (FC660M and Clueboard), 75% (KBD75), they just don't come close in portability.

FMJ B.face.jpg
X60R overhead redux.jpg
hyper red redux test.jpg

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Thanks, those answers sort of help, but some clarification, if you don't mind:
Ergonomics is why for me
As in the incursion of a larger keyboard into your mousing area, or because you don't want to ever move your hands from the home row, no exceptions?
Don’t need combos for the majority of games
Do you have a larger keyboard you plug in for the minority of games, or do you just compromise with combos?
Have to get used to every new layout.
Just takes a few days to get used to things
Ah, sounds like you don't change between different layouts daily. Is that a correct assumption?

D

Deleted member 229121

I've used so many keyboards and keyboard layouts I've lost count, and I learned to use keyboards with one of these so I was raised on layers:
View attachment 311191

Having sampled so many keyboards over so many years, I truly value a standard layout. It may not seem like much but 90wpm with 99%+ accuracy is just so much more effective than 60wpm with 95% accuracy, and more keys around my WASD cluster is a boon for gaming. I don't unplug my keyboard(s) and take them with me, and I don't have a desk or lap so small that I need to shave two keys of width off my keyboard. That's my perspective, so what's yours?

As to the vocal anti-small keyboard people here, I guess I'm one of them. I support over a thousand users and obviously there are a few keyboard enthusiasts in that group - but the overwhelming majority, as in actually over 99% do not like small keyboards - yet the Youtubers and reviewers all seem to get sent teeny tiny keyboards with missing keys that compromise functionality for some reason. I suspect it's "cool" to have a teeny tiny keyboard in your "show off your desk" threads, because that's what the Youtubers who get sent free keyboards use. I don't know why. It seems disproportionate to the real world data of what size keyboards people want/buy. Perhaps small keyboards are more profitable, perhaps there's some genuine reason that I'm overlooking, but to me (and this is just my personal opinion without any hard data to back it up) I strongly suspect based on my own sample size of users that >95% of people want full-size or 80% keyboards at a minimum - and the overwhelming majority of reviews and press coverage is exclusively smaller layouts that aren't what most people actually want.

That is why I'm vocal - the possibility that we are being manipulated by manufacturers, or misrepresented by a lack of keyboard reviewers interested in "normal" keyboards that most people actually want.

I don't think there's anything wrong with having smaller keyboards on the market, nor do I begrudge having reviews of those keyboards. Even if I'm not going to buy them, I still read @VSG's reviews - but wherever you look, the reviews, the hype, the advertising, and the PR is disproportionately 75% or smaller layouts. When was the last TPU review of a full-sized keyboard, for example? (April, and November 2022 before that) and we've had 25+ smaller layout reviews. It's not a pattern exclusive to TPU, of course - I'm just using this site as an example where a minority of the audience gets 80-90% of the review coverage, and the majority of the audience is unserved. If that's where the money is, I can certainly see that's where the marketing and review samples are going to be, too.

TLK and separate numpad. A few southpaws at the office have requested that and I can totally see why.

For home use I prefer TKL since it frees up some desk space and doesn't sacrifice much.
It's a lot more comfortable for gaming to me; I'd always shift my full sized boards left before I played.

I am touch type-ish, sometimes I feel like a nut sometimes I don't.
As far as other layouts 100% is of course fine, I fly like the wind on a numpad while working.

Haven't had a keyboard with a layout smaller than this for home use, maybe one weird cherry board from a POS years back.
I will say that I have found smaller layouts on some laptops / netbooks (lol rip) uncomfortable but that's not exactly apples to apples.

Last edited by a moderator:
Over here, right where you can't see me !
System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
ok, so tabascosauz fixed the poll options for us, but had to remove the previous votes to make it work, so everyone, please, if you don't mind, place your votes again so everyone can see the numbers :)

TIA !

System Name Personal / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5900x / Ryzen 5600X3D
Motherboard Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming 4 /ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming
Cooling Corsair H100i / bequiet! Pure Rock Slim 2
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 / 16GB DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA XC3 Ultra RTX 3080Ti / EVGA RTX 3060 XC
Storage 500GB Pro 970, 250 GB SSD, 1TB & 500GB Western Digital / lots
Display(s) Dell - S3220DGF & S3222DGM 32"
Case CoolerMaster HAF XB Evo / CM HAF XB Evo
Audio Device(s) Logitech G35 headset
Power Supply 850W SeaSonic X Series / 750W SeaSonic X Series
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Microsoft Natural Elite Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 / Windows 10 Pro 64
Full keyboard ever since I can remember. I officially used the MS Natural Keyboard Elite when I was about 23 years old.

I had to dog/house sit for the old folks and I couldn't be at my place to use my computer to play Freelancer that had just come out. Thankfully my mom's computer could play it, but she had this (above) keyboard and it bothered the hell out of me for a few days. Eventually I got used to it and my mom purchased one for me for Christmas that year and it's the keyboard that I've been using ever since.

So, 20 years on this keyboard (not the same one, sadly - it got damaged during a move). Got a black one I use at home and a white (now slightly yellowish) colored one I use at work. I have a spare one at home, just in case.

Last edited:
System Name Space Heater MKIV
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard ASRock B550 Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, 3x Noctua NF-A14s
Memory 2x32GB Teamgroup T-Force Vulcan Z DDR4-3600 C18 1.35V
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6800 XT Red Devil (2150MHz, 240W PL)
Storage 2TB WD SN850X, 4x1TB Crucial MX500 (striped array), LG WH16NS40 BD-RE
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG (34" 3440x1440 144Hz)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M
Audio Device(s) Edifier R1700BT, Samson SR850
Power Supply Corsair RM850x, CyberPower CST135XLU
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Glorious GMMK 2 96%
Software Windows 10 LTSC 2021, Linux Mint
Switched from 100% (Logitech G610) to 96% (Glorious GMMK 2). I love how much more space I have for using my mouse.

I prefer 96% over TKL because I like having a numpad. I'd love to have a 96% keyboard at work (what I do pretty much requires a numpad).

Audio Device(s) A LOT
As in the incursion of a larger keyboard into your mousing area, or because you don't want to ever move your hands from the home row, no exceptions?
Both :) The mouse space is the real selling point for me, but after some practice it’s more efficient for me to hit a macro than reach for the home or volume keys
Do you have a larger keyboard you plug in for the minority of games, or do you just compromise with combos?
Tbh I don’t really game anymore, so someone else may speak to this better than I can. I just rely on layers/macros for most things and have a configurable numpad for rare occasions
Ah, sounds like you don't change between different layouts daily. Is that a correct assumption?
Yeah definitely not. I might rotate boards every few months to spice things up but it always takes some time for me to adjust, even if I had used a keyboard for years prior. Typically not more than a couple of days, maybe a week for something new, but I’m more concerned with getting stuff done than the novelty of changing boards.

System Name The New, Improved, Vicious, Stable, Silent Gaming Space Heater
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
Cooling be quiet! DRP4 (w/ added SilentWings3), 3x SilentWings3 120mm @Front, Noctua S12A @Back
Memory Teamgroup DDR4 3600 16GBx2 @18-22-22-22-42 -> 18-20-20-20-40
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX7900XTX HellHound
Storage ADATA SX8200 1GB, Crucial P3+ 4TB (w/adaptor, @Gen2x1 ), Seagate 3TB+1TB HDD, Kingston SA400 512GB
Display(s) Gigabyte M27U @4K150Hz, AOC 24G2 @1080p100Hz(Max144Hz) vertical, ASUS VP228H@1080p60Hz vertical
Case Phanteks P600S
Audio Device(s) Creative Katana V2X gaming soundbar
Power Supply Seasonic Vertex GX-1200 (ATX3.0 compliant)
Mouse Razer Deathadder V3 wired
Keyboard Non-branded wired full custom mechanical keyboard from my brother's leftover
Voted 100% full size there. I do have enough space at home, and I absolutely hate using the number keys above QWERTY for any extended period of time (by that I mean >4digits). Oh, and I prefer playing console emulator stuff on the numpad as long as digital input is sufficient.

At work there are cases that I would like the numpad to be under my left hand (not very often, but frequent enough), so I use a TKL + a cheapo standalone numpad.

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
Voted 100% full size there. I do have enough space at home, and I absolutely hate using the number keys above QWERTY for any extended period of time (by that I mean >4digits). Oh, and I prefer playing console emulator stuff on the numpad as long as digital input is sufficient.

At work there are cases that I would like the numpad to be under my left hand (not very often, but frequent enough), so I use a TKL + a cheapo standalone numpad.

There's always southpaw. (not my picture)

southpaw.jpeg

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I really can't give an answer. I own four different size mech keyboards and I alternate between each of them. At the moment I have 65% cherry silver board with pudding keycaps that I love. I have the Anne Pro 2 which I believe is 40% and enjoy that too. I also have full size that i like, but i don't rotate them in as much anymore as i don't have any need for numpad

System Name The New, Improved, Vicious, Stable, Silent Gaming Space Heater
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
Cooling be quiet! DRP4 (w/ added SilentWings3), 3x SilentWings3 120mm @Front, Noctua S12A @Back
Memory Teamgroup DDR4 3600 16GBx2 @18-22-22-22-42 -> 18-20-20-20-40
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX7900XTX HellHound
Storage ADATA SX8200 1GB, Crucial P3+ 4TB (w/adaptor, @Gen2x1 ), Seagate 3TB+1TB HDD, Kingston SA400 512GB
Display(s) Gigabyte M27U @4K150Hz, AOC 24G2 @1080p100Hz(Max144Hz) vertical, ASUS VP228H@1080p60Hz vertical
Case Phanteks P600S
Audio Device(s) Creative Katana V2X gaming soundbar
Power Supply Seasonic Vertex GX-1200 (ATX3.0 compliant)
Mouse Razer Deathadder V3 wired
Keyboard Non-branded wired full custom mechanical keyboard from my brother's leftover

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
TKL all the way. I don't get how people think it's comfortable to bend their elbows like they're a praying mantis to game.
I'm 6'1 and wide shouldered, so i can't understand how smaller people manage it.

My arms/elbows are straight and line up with my mouse and keyboard when using WASD.. Fullsize keyboards don't allow this.

I couldn't MS paint this well - but either your arms have to be on an angle for WASD or the mouse (or both for smaller people), and that results in people gaming with their mouse offset to the screen. Any time i've seen people do this (LAN parties especially) they were usually amongst the worst players there.

1693368273171.png

Snipped from youtube for a side-by-side of all sizes to show what I mean - one or both arms have to move further and further out, meaning you can't use both devices straight on. Theres your RSI and pain issues (which i suffer from rather severely due to damaged nerves in my wrists, TKL and wrist rests solved it completely)

If you *need* a numpad, get one on the left side or a wireless/seperate one.
Work PC's don't matter since you aren't using WASD and the mouse at the same time, you tend to use the keyboard exclusively for longer periods with both hands.

Processor Threadripper 3955WX
Motherboard M12SWA-TF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 4U SP3
Memory G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3733 (2x8GB)
Video Card(s) 5700XT + 3x RX 590
Storage A lot
Display(s) ViewSonic G225fB
Case Corsair 760T
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Z SE
Power Supply be quiet! DPP12 1500W
Keyboard IBM F122
Software 10 LTSC
Full size tho no windows or menu keys, pretty much unused keys anyway so I'm not missing out on anything.

Model M my beloved. I had the F 122 key before but the extra keys were useless, I know they're treated as collector items in first world countries but for me they're just old keyboards that look nice and are higher quality than the membrane crap that's sold in my country so why not use them?

The connector has certainly seen better days, I ended up tucking part of the cable under the keyboard so it doesn't comes off but it's not a big deal, the thing hardly moves being so heavy, which is one of the things I like about it.

System Name Not a thread ripper but pretty good.
Processor Ryzen 9 5950x
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi (revision 1.06, BIOS/UEFI version P5.50)
Cooling EK-Quantum Velocity2, EK-Quantum Reflection PC-O11, D5 PWM, EK-CoolStream PE 360, XSPC TX360
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 ECC Unbuffered Memory (4 sticks, 128GB, 18ASF4G72AZ-3G2F1) + JONSBO NF-1
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 5700 & EK-Quantum Vector Radeon RX 5700 +XT & Backplate
Storage Samsung 2TB & 4TB 980 PRO, 2TB 970 EVO Plus, 2 x Optane 905p 1.5TB (striped), AMD Radeon RAMDisk
Display(s) 2 x 4K LG 27UL600-W (and HUANUO Dual Monitor Mount)
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic Black (original model)
Audio Device(s) Controller for fans, RGB, & temp sensors(4): Corsair Commander Pro
Power Supply Corsair RM750x
Mouse Logitech M575
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2
Software Windows 10 Professional (64bit)
Benchmark Scores Typical for non-overclocked CPU.
I'll go for full size. Without the numpad my right hand will need to do something else and I'm afraid of what that might lead too... ahem... like excess memeing or something.

Last edited:
Audio Device(s) A LOT

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
I started this poll because I wanted to gauge the accuracy of a statement made in another thread: "most users don't want/need anything bigger than a TKL"
More like "most users don't need anything smaller than TKL".
But if you shift the target demographics from TPU to "average non-enthusiast joe", you might see TKL being the winner.... because... laptops and tablets.
To be more specific - 15" lappies started going out of style some time ago, and with them the last convenient 100% option "on-the-go" lost its appeal. Can't find specifically worldwide stats, but from limited info on screen size market share and from the changes I've seen in my workshop I can tell for sure that I get more and more 14" lappies and smaller comparing to, let's say 15.6" and 17". This basically happened slowly and quietly over the past 5 or so years.

there's only this piece of questionable stats which agrees with my highly speculative claims, but you get the gist of it.

I personally switched to TKL about 10 years ago. At first it was a necessity due to desk space concerns, and now it's a habit. While numpad is good for number crunching in Excel, I found it more convenient to write text and numbers without lifting or moving my hands.

System Name Iglo
Processor 5800X3D
Motherboard TUF GAMING B550-PLUS WIFI II
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360
Memory 32 gigs - 3600hz
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC2 GAMING
Storage NvmE x2 + SSD + spinning rust
Display(s) BenQ XL2420Z - lenovo both 27" and 1080p 144/60
Case Fractal Design Meshify C TG Black
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z-2300 2.1 200w Speaker /w 8 inch subwoofer
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 550w
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Corsair k100 Air Wireless RGB Cherry MX
Software win 10
Benchmark Scores Super-PI 1M T: 7,993 s :CinebR20: 5755 point GeekB: 2097 S-11398-M 3D :TS 7674/12260
100% becorse i have the space.

Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
I voted 100% but deep inside I'd love to have a battleship.

Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar b650m wifi
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengeance 30CL6000
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Lexar NM790 4TB + Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial BX100 250GB
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Lian Li A3 mATX White
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W11 IoT Enterprise LTSC
Check chyrosran22
He has some larger keyboards, to many to list but here's one, but try not be shocked at the price tags.

I get a strong Knight Rider vibe from that Kb lol. This is just begging for a Kitt voice.

Don't get me wrong, for work I will accept nothing less than a 100% layout. Hell, in the London office I have an old Microsoft Natural that's just about ready for its 5th or 6th trip through the dishwasher. That's like a 110% layout that takes up 150% of the desk space! :)

For gaming, I don't care about the layout or size as long as the left half of the keyboard is a standard layout - and that includes F1 to F8 as those are common default keybinds for games.

The thing is, I want a standard layout for anything more than putting in a website address and bashing out a quick message.

TKL is only a 30-40mm wider than the most compact 60% layouts available, so I'm not really sure what the USP is for the audience of sub-TKL layouts, other than being different for the sake of being different among a small niche crowd of keyboard enthusiasts. Maybe I'm getting old, but are they trying to make a statement by having a minimalist tiny keyboard - to hell with the consequences? I personally cannot stand having to push a combination of keys to register a single keypress, and it's even stupider when one of those alternate function keys is part of a common mutli-key function. CTRL+ALT+INSERT is hard if ALT+Fn does something other than ALT, but INSERT requires you to hold down the Fn key. When you have to call up the on-screen keyboard to type something because your typing device can't do it, you know it's dumb AF and the keyboard industry has (hopefully) reached peak stupid at that point.
Hey man, we have PC's encased in nearly full glass fishtanks now, we're water cooling a midrange videocard, and we're brute forcing our lighting both on screen and inside the PC case :D Peak stupid is the norm these days!

I mean how else can all those unique individuals define themselves with the same range of products, after all your PC is definitely an extension of yourself, gotta express that identity :oops:

Last edited: