• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The TPU UK Clubhouse

System Name Nebulon B
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 16 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 6750 XT 12 GB
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 2.1 speakers, AKG Y50 headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
Funny how it's always those that can afford it are the ones that try not to pay it.
It's also strange that billionaires and mega-corporations get fined amounts that they can easily pay from their back pockets for their shady actions, while some regular law-abiding people struggle to even pay their bills.

This is almost funny - if it wasn't for the fact Bernie can easily afford to pay back taxes of over half-a-billion pounds.

Is that a ray of light at the end of the HS2 tunnel? :D

Space Lynx

Astronaut
new King Charles UK coins incoming, I like the theme of animals and plants, very lovely. not a fan of royalty in general, but I am glad King Charles cares about the environment and is also showing it on the coins to boot.

1697153602115.png

I am thinking of getting a few of these and getting some very fine point paintbrushes and bring them to life a bit. Then hand out to friends. :clap:

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
How to keep a customer happy:

1. Downgrade them to an inferior package when they only asked for a better deal for a customer of 5 years wanting to renew the contract and not being upfront about the downgrade.
2. Dont respond to customer queries regarding the questionable changes to the package when found out.
3. Waste about 90mins of customers time on the phone passing them around from person to person and multiple departments all of them telling a different story to each other - Nobody knows whats going on.
4. spend another 15mins trying to justify what happened and "You-wont-even-notice-the-difference"
5. Pass customer over to the 'customer retentions' department as a last ditch attempt to smooth things over, but that person doesnt know what they are doing either....

Thanks plusnet. Its been great.

System Name BigRed
Processor I7 12700k
Motherboard Asus Rog Strix z690-A WiFi D4
Cooling Noctua D15S chromax black/MX6
Memory TEAM GROUP 32GB DDR4 4000C16 B die
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3080 Gaming Trio X 10GB
Storage M.2 drives-Crucial P5 500GB 4x4/WD SN850X 4TB 4x4/WD SN850X 2TB 4x4
Display(s) Dell s3422dwg 34" 3440x1440p 144hz ultrawide
Case Corsair 7000D
Audio Device(s) Topping D10s DAC/PCamp TC 1680 AMP/MS M10 Speakers/Bowers and Wilkins P7 Headphones
Power Supply Corsair RM850x 80% gold
Mouse Logitech G604 wireless
Keyboard Logitech G413 carbon
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Who cares

1. Downgrade them to an inferior package when they only asked for a better deal for a customer of 5 years wanting to renew the contract and not being upfront about the downgrade.
2. Dont respond to customer queries regarding the questionable changes to the package when found out.
3. Waste about 90mins of customers time on the phone passing them around from person to person and multiple departments all of them telling a different story to each other - Nobody knows whats going on.
4. spend another 15mins trying to justify what happened and "You-wont-even-notice-the-difference"
5. Pass customer over to the 'customer retentions' department as a last ditch attempt to smooth things over, but that person doesnt know what they are doing either....

Great customer service there /s

I don't need to guess you switched

I am starting volunteering at a barnados charity shop tomorrow. Just need something to get me out of the house, as i am my partners full time carer. So some saturdays selling stuff should be interesting.

FreedomEclipse

Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
I don't need to guess you switched

Yeah. Back to using sky. Same speeds but a bit cheaper so it kind of worked out in the end anyway.

Went with sky because the change over is pretty seamless. Just plug in the new router on activation day and off we go

Could have gone with virgin but their service requires and engineer to come out and lay some new cables and that costs extra so we dont bother with them.

System Name Gamer
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite WIFI
Cooling Apogee XL, MCR360, MCP655, Micro-rez
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR4-3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Red Dragon RX 6800 XT
Storage WD SN850 1TB & SN750 1TB
Display(s) LG 32GK650F-B 32" 1440p 144Hz
Case Rocketfish (Lian Li) e-ATX
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon HK695 2.1
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GM-750
Mouse HP Gaming wired
Keyboard Logitech G110 wired
VR HMD HP WMR 1440^2
Software Win10 Pro 64bit

That sounds like a blend of ATT and Xfinity's customer service here in the US. :(

FreedomEclipse

Display(s) LG GP850-B
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
That sounds like a blend of ATT and Xfinity's customer service here in the US. :(

Its funny because whever we've called them up in the past to renew the contract. They've always been really good.

The first guy that I got through to was really really nice from a call center somewhere up north rather than somewhere in east or south asia. And he was a super friendly guy to chat to. Thought he was going to sort everything out for us but ended up passing me over to someone else who told me something completely different, who then passed me off to a different person in a different department who had no idea why I was passed to them and told me something completely different than the previous person. Obviously you can see there's a bit of a trend here.

So my dad who was sitting in on the call just made the cut throat sign to me and we got passed over to face our last boss. SInce they were all over the place when dealing with me, dad doesnt have much faith that they'll cancel the service for sure even though they said they would and went through all the cancellation procedures.

Dad will go to their head office with a machete if they bill us again after the final bill. He was that annoyed about the whole experience.

System Name -
Processor 5800x3D
Motherboard AsRock Extreme 4
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) 7900 XT
Storage 7.5 TB of SSD storage
Display(s) BenQ XL2746S DyaC+ 240hz . Phillips Momentum 1440P 165hz
Case 4000D AF modded.
Audio Device(s) External Fio K3
Power Supply 850W
Mouse XTRFY MZ1
Keyboard Mechanical
VR HMD -
Software Linux Nobara. Windows 11.
Benchmark Scores A few points.
Been a Sky user for over ten years.
Just ask them to lower prices to competitive levels and they will, they like loyal customers.

System Name Nebulon B
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Software Windows 10 Pro

That's too much hassle. There's a simpler way:

1. Charge more for "reasons" (market economics, blah-blah bullshit).
2. Offer a package that's slightly cheaper than renewal, but still way more expensive than the old one.

That's basically every single car insurance company and mobile network operator. Bastards.

FreedomEclipse

Display(s) LG GP850-B
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
That's too much hassle. There's a simpler way:

1. Charge more for "reasons" (market economics, blah-blah bullshit).
2. Offer a package that's slightly cheaper than renewal, but still way more expensive than the old one.

That's basically every single car insurance company and mobile network operator. Bastards.

Some providers do include a 5 or 10% price hike every year under the excuse of 'muh inflation' plusnet did this.

I asked to keep the same package - they downgraded us to a different package without making it clear that its what they were doing. I thought we were saving money or getting a discount for being a long time customer and we didnt figure out what had happened until we received the confirmation email with all the information and details about the new contract, what we were paying for (the package) and of course the price and when the new contract began. We had already agreed to renew and all the administrative work on both sides was done.

Of course we had the 14 day grace period to fall back on but our new contract was due to start on the 2nd of November and after how we were dealt with there was no way we were going to carry on with the service so we cancelled the service and renewal.

System Name Nebulon B
Software Windows 10 Pro
Some providers do include a 5 or 10% price hike every year under the excuse of 'muh inflation' plusnet did this.

I asked to keep the same package - they downgraded us to a different package without making it clear that its what they were doing. I thought we were saving money or getting a discount for being a long time customer and we didnt figure out what had happened until we received the confirmation email with all the information and details about the new contract, what we were paying for (the package) and of course the price and when the new contract began. We had already agreed to renew and all the administrative work on both sides was done.

Of course we had the 14 day grace period to fall back on but our new contract was due to start on the 2nd of November and after how we were dealt with there was no way we were going to carry on with the service so we cancelled the service and renewal.
The last time I renewed with TalkTalk in February for £28 a month, then they started charging £32 from March because of "inflation". Unfortunately, a yearly adjustment due to market reasons is part of their contract, so there was nothing I could do about it. I was outside the grace period, too. Also, TalkTalk is the only provider that offers usable speeds in my area, so... :(

Edit: typo

Last edited:

That's when you ask for the person in charge and get stern. They screwed you over, let them know that you are willing to return the favor unless they set things right, following through with same if they do not.

Yeah, that sounds about right. Turd business entities the both of them.

System Name Work Computer | Unfinished Computer
Processor Core i7-6700 | Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Dell Q170 | Gigabyte Aorus Elite Wi-Fi
Cooling A fan? | Truly Custom Loop
Memory 4x4GB Crucial 2133 C17 | 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB 3600 C26
Video Card(s) Dell Radeon R7 450 | RTX 2080 Ti FE
Storage Crucial BX500 2TB | TBD
Display(s) 3x LG QHD 32" GSM5B96 | TBD
Case Dell | Heavily Modified Phanteks P400
Power Supply Dell TFX Non-standard | EVGA BQ 650W
Mouse Monster No-Name $7 Gaming Mouse| TBD
We just switch every couple of years - after the "new customer" tag expires and all internet speed grinds to a halt.

None of the providers in the area will maintain the same speed for over 3 years. Hopefully it improves when the local utility starts competing.

System Name Nebulon B
Software Windows 10 Pro
In my area, Virgin is the only company that offers speeds worthy of this century. They wired up half the town ready for their optical network. I live just a street down from the point where they stopped.

So my only option is TalkTalk with 40 Mbits/s. Providers don't even offer such slow connections in many western countries, but that's what I get here in the middle of the UK in a fairly average-sized town. Ridiculous.

System Name Nebulon B
Software Windows 10 Pro
Most rural areas in the states can get that with DSL.
Yep, it's DSL here, too. There's no optical network on this side of town, yet... maybe by 2050. Maybe.

System Name Nebulon B
Software Windows 10 Pro

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Intel Core i9 11900KF @ -075mV PL max @225w
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling DeepCool LS520SE Liquid + 3 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14 1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC + 8% PL
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Software Win 11 Home x64
Virgin in my area do a 1130Mbps package and I am already wired for it as I was with them up until 3 years ago, might go back to them when my current Sky contract runs out next summer as the best I can get thru Sky (BT) is 145Mbps but realistically that pans out on average at around 120 consistently.

System Name Nebulon B
Software Windows 10 Pro
Virgin in my area do a 1130Mbps package and I am already wired for it as I was with them up until 3 years ago, might go back to them when my current Sky contract runs out next summer as the best I can get thru Sky (BT) is 145Mbps but realistically that pans out on average at around 120 consistently.
Speaking of packages reminds me that my two options are a 40 Mbps package for £30 a month, or a 60 Mbps one for £32, but both of them run at 40 Mbps because that's the maximum the line is capable of. I pay for the 60 Mbps one in hope that maybe, just maybe there's gonna be a line upgrade in my area at some point in the future (which looks highly unlikely).

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Intel Core i9 11900KF @ -075mV PL max @225w
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling DeepCool LS520SE Liquid + 3 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14 1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC + 8% PL
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Software Win 11 Home x64
I also meant to mention, across the board prices went up in April by 14%, take a look at (for example) the BT advertisements for Broadband, the print at the bottom of the screen "annually in March prices will increase by CPI + 3.9%", well CPI is calculated on 30th September annually and last years was 10.2% (I know that because my Army pension got the increase in April :)), neither Sky Broadband or Virgin media do TV adverts generally between November and February because they would also have to tell the world how much they are about to rip them off :laugh:

System Name Ultraman
Processor Intel core i9 13900HK
Motherboard Alienware/Dell inverted motherboard
Cooling Alienware/Dell cooling solution + IETS GT500 cooling pad
Memory Alienware/Dell 32GB 6000mhz DDR5
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX4080 12GB
Storage 1TB Dell supplied NVME + Samsung Evo 1TB NVME
Display(s) AOC Gaming CU34G3S/BK
Case Alienware X16
Audio Device(s) onboard/Speakers: Logitech G560
Power Supply Alienware/Dell battery + 330W charger
Mouse Microsoft Pro Intellimouse - White
Keyboard Ducky One2 SF White MX cherry Red
Software Windows 11
BT and sky offer the fastest in my area.
I have decided to switch my mobile contract to a sim only and they offered £5 off their cheapest unlimited data sim only package after speaking to them and telling them i've been a loyal customers for donkeys.

System Name BigRed
Processor I7 12700k
Motherboard Asus Rog Strix z690-A WiFi D4
Cooling Noctua D15S chromax black/MX6
Memory TEAM GROUP 32GB DDR4 4000C16 B die
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3080 Gaming Trio X 10GB
Storage M.2 drives-Crucial P5 500GB 4x4/WD SN850X 4TB 4x4/WD SN850X 2TB 4x4
Display(s) Dell s3422dwg 34" 3440x1440p 144hz ultrawide
Case Corsair 7000D
Audio Device(s) Topping D10s DAC/PCamp TC 1680 AMP/MS M10 Speakers/Bowers and Wilkins P7 Headphones
Power Supply Corsair RM850x 80% gold
Mouse Logitech G604 wireless
Keyboard Logitech G413 carbon
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Who cares
I'm with KC/Kcom at 100Mb/sec for £40. They have a special offer atm though, i think 500 for the same price, so might have to speak to them about going on the same offer or i will leave.

Tbh though, i'm not one of these that need a millionMb/s and have been fine with the 100, but 500 for the same price, i may as well switch if i can.

System Name Nebulon B
Software Windows 10 Pro
Let's not even talk about prices going up. I'm currently looking for car insurance because my current one is due for renewal for 30% more. Unlike in previous years, I can't even find anything cheaper.

FreedomEclipse

Display(s) LG GP850-B
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
That's when you ask for the person in charge and get stern. They screwed you over, let them know that you are willing to return the favor unless they set things right, following through with same if they do not.

I would have but sky was offering a much better offer/deal. £60 voucher and the same speeds at a lower price. We also get a fancy new router as well. We were still running the old plusnet 'hub 1'. My Aunt who is also on plusnet got sent a free router upgrade (hub 2) out of the blue. She didnt need it so I ended up with it. I'll probably set it up to use as an access point as its faster and more uptodate then my current Netgear R7000 (AC1900)