• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TPU's Nostalgic Hardware Club

TASOS

Here's my newly aquired "WTF is it" chip.
View attachment 332264

Hi buddy

Interesting chip.
What's the story behind it ?

Have you tested it yet ? ... what core stepping cpuz reports ?
Does that small QR code give any useful info ?

A thousand bucks just sitting in a drawer. :p
Take advantage of the inflated pricing.

Hi Scotty

We have many piles of hardware just sitting in drawers ... rare pieces nowadays.
But what if ? ... you change your mind afterwards.
Many of these are almost impossible to replace.

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough
Hey Tasos! :rockout:
Interesting chip.
What's the story behind it ?

Have you tested it yet ? ... what core stepping cpuz reports ?
Does that small QR code give any useful info ?
It's simply a chip that was in a system someone was tossing and I caught it before it hit the scrapper.
I know it's showing up as a 3.2 GHz Prescott, not sure of much beyond that ATM.

Haven't had it in CPU-Z yet but no problem to do a little later and see what stepping it reports.
Not a fan? I like Dell for the most part. At least the ones that are standards compliant.
I HATE "Proprietary" stuff and especially for stuff like this.
I know there are some that's more generic but this is clearly one I'm not a real fan of because of that.
However, this one works and seems OK after the repair I had to do for making it work again.

I'm thinking about letting it be a "Retro-Machine" for my games anyway since I really don't have any PC games newer than from around 2010 anyway and if I do, I'm not aware of it (Yet).

System Name Master
Processor Pair of Xeon X5675's @ 4.3
Motherboard SR-2 Classified
Memory 12 GB of Corsair Dominator GT's @ 2000 7-7-7-21
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX680
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750
Hi Scotty

We have many piles of hardware just sitting in drawers ... rare pieces nowadays.
But what if ? ... you change your mind afterwards.
Many of these are almost impossible to replace.
I know.
But for what I do, I'd probably almost never run them again.
Might as well let somebody else enjoy them as I did.
I still have plenty of rare stuff.

System Name Detox sleeper
Processor Intel i9-7980XE@4,5Ghz
Motherboard Asrock x299 Taichi XE (custom bios with ecc reg support, old microcode)
Cooling Custom water: Alphacool XT45 1080 + 9xArctic P12, EK-D5 pump combo, EK Velocity D-RGB block
Memory 8x16Gb Hynix DJR ECC REG 3200@4000
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 3080 FE 10Gb undervolted
Storage Samsung PM9A1 1Tb + PM981 512Gb + Kingston HyperX 480Gb + Samsung Evo 860 500Gb
Display(s) HP ZR30W (30" 2560x1600 10 bit)
Case Chieftec 1E0-500A-CT04 + AMD Sempron sticker
Audio Device(s) Genius Cavimanus
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex 750w Platinum
Mouse Logitech G400
Keyboard IBM Model M122 (boltmod, micro pro usbc)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
It needs a little repair.
Quado 900XGL (Geforce4 Ti4600)
139440_gs0ojbhtqpnzyz02_900.jpg

System Name Regular PC | Server HP Z440
Processor 9700k | E5-2698v3
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X-CF | Stock mobo
Cooling Scythe Mugen 5 rev. B | Stock HS
Memory 32 GB (8x4) | 112 GB (8x2 + 16x6)
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super | K4000
Storage 970 EVO+ 1TB | 860 1TB x2
Display(s) XV340CK x2, 1080p x2
Power Supply Corsair RM750x | Corsair RM750e
Software Pop!_OS | Proxmox
I just received a SD card in this box. total over kill o_O I know Amazon use to do the same thing, but this was eBayo_OSurely it is common sence to have put it in a Jiffy bago_OLet alone all that cardboard waste:rockout:
The sender is recycling the box by giving it the most uses before throwing it away. It's also easier to compost cardboard (non glossy, plain brown) than a plastic bag.

The sender is recycling the box by giving it the most uses before throwing it away. It's also easier to compost cardboard (non glossy, plain brown) than a plastic bag.
I have no use for it, i am throwing it out.I have loads of box,s here.

System Name Detox sleeper
Processor Intel i9-7980XE@4,5Ghz
Motherboard Asrock x299 Taichi XE (custom bios with ecc reg support, old microcode)
Cooling Custom water: Alphacool XT45 1080 + 9xArctic P12, EK-D5 pump combo, EK Velocity D-RGB block
Memory 8x16Gb Hynix DJR ECC REG 3200@4000
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 3080 FE 10Gb undervolted
Storage Samsung PM9A1 1Tb + PM981 512Gb + Kingston HyperX 480Gb + Samsung Evo 860 500Gb
Display(s) HP ZR30W (30" 2560x1600 10 bit)
Case Chieftec 1E0-500A-CT04 + AMD Sempron sticker
Audio Device(s) Genius Cavimanus
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex 750w Platinum
Mouse Logitech G400
Keyboard IBM Model M122 (boltmod, micro pro usbc)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
Quadro 900XGL, Fx5500, fx5600
20240215_155535.jpg
Yes the Fx5600 is BIG. Can't fit in my ATX case.
20240215_155917.jpg

For reference my smalest pcie card (Xgi
Volari z11)
20240215_155642.jpg

Tested, works but psu is on the limits (delta 350w)
20240215_162717.jpg
20240215_162821.jpg
Single molex can handle it
20240215_162453.jpg

Update! Now it fits, i just needed to remove the HDD holder.
20240215_200520.jpg

Last edited:

TASOS

Much too early for me (that pc era).

My first contact with pc world , was at early to mid 80's
At that point we had Commodore64 and ZX Spectrum (both had the system with the cassette tape ... if anyone remembers)
After that followed the Amstrad 6128 with the floppy disk drive

Then followed the pc as we currently know it (for me in the form of Intel i386)

:D
Wow , what a flashback

I just received a SD card in this box. total over kill o_O I know Amazon use to do the same thing, but this was eBayo_OSurely it is common sence to have put it in a Jiffy bago_OLet alone all that cardboard waste:rockout:
ah, but I know somebody that would love that box with that paper inside! he is black and does Meowww LOL, that would be flying LOL

wolf

Performance Enthusiast
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 32GB DDR4 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX3080 Deshrouded
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB
Display(s) LG 42C2 4K OLED
Case Coolermaster NR200P
Audio Device(s) LG SN5Y / Focal Clear
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RBG Pro SE
Keyboard Glorious GMMK Compact w/pudding
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
Software case populated with Artic P12's
Benchmark Scores 4k120 OLED Gsync bliss
It is with great pleasure I can announce the arrival of the final piece of the puzzle in my retro build. An exact PCIE counterpart to the AGP unit I bought new in the day, and still own.

The BFG 6800 Ultra overclocked. The showdown and endless hours of testing and gaming comparing this to the X850XT will be epic.

20240216_175740.jpg

And what a coincidence, a brand new old stock Arctic Accelero X1 to suit, it's way chonkier than I expected.

20240216_175752.jpg

20240216_175803.jpg

TASOS

I am sure you will enjoy to the max your new (hard to find) vga and even more the battle with the X850XT.
It needs a good cleaning and re-paste at the moment.

I am sure that the X1 was not a coincidence :)
Although it wont make a big difference.

The X1 was a good choice for those updating their cooling of 6800 plain vanilla models or even 6800GT's
But the Ultra's had a better heatsink from the factory ... it will be close.

Have fun with it !!!

wolf

Performance Enthusiast
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Case Coolermaster NR200P
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
@TASOS the X850XT has already had that clean since receiving it, but it doesn't need new paste, I suspect it was opened and repasted earlier, and it seems they did a decent job, the memory pads are all in good shape from an external look and temps are very much as expected.

I don't expect any miracles from the X1, just a few degrees and decibels less, but not before I test the hec out of the card in stock form of course.

This has been easily as rewarding, if not more, than any solo modern gaming I've done over the past year (I say solo because gaming with my son is a primary source of the joy of gaming for me), and the reward of setting up a totally standalone retro gaming box that has the potential to last the rest of my lifetime and beyond is a massive reward unto itself, as you can imagine.

Not to mention my thirst for overclocking, benchmarking and modding, half the cards I've used lately have had cooler swaps and been overclocked to the brink of stability and benchmarked, it's how I've always rolled and I don't intend to stop anytime soon!

TASOS

@TASOS the X850XT has already had that clean since receiving it, but it doesn't need new paste, I suspect it was opened and repasted earlier, and it seems they did a decent job, the memory pads are all in good shape from an external look and temps are very much as expected.

I don't expect any miracles from the X1, just a few degrees and decibels less, but not before I test the hec out of the card in stock form of course.

This has been easily as rewarding, if not more, than any solo modern gaming I've done over the past year (I say solo because gaming with my son is a primary source of the joy of gaming for me), and the reward of setting up a totally standalone retro gaming box that has the potential to last the rest of my lifetime and beyond is a massive reward unto itself, as you can imagine.

Not to mention my thirst for overclocking, benchmarking and modding, half the cards I've used lately have had cooler swaps and been overclocked to the brink of stability and benchmarked, it's how I've always rolled and I don't intend to stop anytime soon!

Well , since you are deep into o/c world ...
You know that this "poor" 6800 Ultra , wont be able to keep up with the "beast" X850XT

Better find an X800XT for that dogfight

Processor i9-11900K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus XIII Hero
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360
Memory 4x8GB DDR4
Video Card(s) Alienware RTX 3090 OEM
Storage OEM Kioxia 2tb NVMe (OS), 4TB WD Blue HDD (games)
Display(s) LG 27GN950-B
Case Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance (black)
Audio Device(s) Logitech Pro X Wireless
Power Supply Corsair RM1000x
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Elite 2
Any one had one of these? o_OOr still has one?
my dad told me that he and his friends used to call them the "trash-80s" I think because they were low-quality or something like that

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough
my dad told me that he and his friends used to call them the "trash-80s" I think because they were low-quality or something like that
Nah - They worked fine , it's was more of a nick-name than anything else.

I still remember "Poke", "Peek" and other commands in BASIC with these.

System Name Adison "Open Space" 19
Processor Intel Pentium II, 350MHz
Motherboard Chaintech 6BTM, Slot 1
Cooling SECC Cartridge
Memory 1x 64MB, PC100
Video Card(s) ATI Rage IIc AGP, Diamond Monster 3DII 12MB
Storage BTC BCD-40XH, Quantum Fireball 3.5 Series, EX6.4 GB
Display(s) LG StudioWorks 57M
Case Adison Midi Tower, ATX
Audio Device(s) Creative SoundBlaster 128
Power Supply Codegen 300W
Mouse Genius SlimStar 110, PS/2
Keyboard Genius SlimStar 110, PS/2
Software Microsoft Windows 98
It's been a while since I posted anything nostalgic-related in here. Mainly because I had to move on from old tech due to financial reasons, not to mention the fact that I sold most of my Voodoo & Tualatin collection keeping only the most essential & nostalgic pieces for myself. Such as those "Adison" systems I talked about, consisted of Chaintech Slot 1 motherboards & couple of Voodoo2 cards in SLI configuration. But those had been previously documented in here so I better not go into details ... instead, I'm going to talk about something entirely different.

I live in an old apartment building, which was built around early 60s. And so (as you can probably imagine) it witnessed a lot of changes, upgrades & makeovers over the course of time, but the public (stairwell) lighting fixtures remained the same ... until now. We are undergoing a complete makeover & slight modernization, which (among other things) include a whole new LED lighting fixtures with motion detection & CCTV cameras. Meaning that all the original stuff is getting binned & thrown away into the nearby dumpster. I suppose most people would argue & say that we are going for the better, but these things are approx. 60 years old now, and quite literally part of the history. So I'm kinda sad to see them gone & replaced with something as cheap & generic that's probably (most likely) NOT going to last 10 years, let alone 60 years like the original ones did.

Mind you, these fixtures are not unique, and they had been heavily used throughout most ... if not all public (and private) buildings, especially in central & eastern Europe. In fact, you can still find plenty of these today but they /are/ fading away, day after day as more & more people are replacing them for modern & fancy looking fixtures. In either case, they bring back a LOT of bitter-sweet memories of happy moments which are now long gone but never forgotten. So I took the moment to uhh ... "borrow" some of these globes while I still had the chance & converted one of them to stand alone, "ambient-lighting" (aka decoration) lamps. Finding a brand new plastic base was a challenging task, I will tell you that much but not impossible one ... not yet, at least. That being said, I've been told by several dealers & electric stores how they no longer keep these things in stock, and probably never again will, since they are no longer in production & no one really bothers to buy them. So in other words, "grab it while you can & don't look back". These are only the plastic fixtures (with the bulb socket) I was referring to, as the actual glass globe are quite literally unobtainable unless you find someone willing to sell them online or perhaps grab couple of them from an old building such as mine.

For the time being there is a so called "disco" lamp inside it, although I'm planning and hoping to upgrade it to a full RGB bulb eventually & have it continuously change the colors. Lamp socket is pretty standard, E27 that's available just about anywhere, and it was designed to handle up to 60W incandescent lamp inside it. Meaning that you can probably put 9W (or higher) LED bulb inside it, IF you ever need to. For me at least, it is all about preserving a memory & having (somewhat) interesting conversation piece, as I'm already using LED desk lamps & spotlights for the actual light source.

System Name Purple Haze | Vacuum Box
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D (-30 CO) | Intel® Xeon® E3-1241 v3
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk Max | Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H
Cooling Dark Rock 4 Pro, P14, P12, T30 case fans | 212 Evo & P12 PWM PST x2, Arctic P14 & P12 case fans
Memory 32GB Ballistix (Micron E 19nm) CL16 @3733MHz | 32GB HyperX Beast 2400MHz (XMP)
Video Card(s) AMD 6900XTXH ASRock OC Formula & Phanteks T30x3 | AMD 5700XT Sapphire Nitro+ & Arctic P12x2
Storage ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB, Toshiba P300 3TB x2 | Kingston A400 120GB, Fanxiang S500 Pro 256GB
Display(s) Mi 2K Gaming Monitor 27", AOC 24G2U
Case Modded MS Industrial Titan II Pro RGB | Heavily Modded Cooler Master Q500L
Audio Device(s) Audient iD14 MKII, Adam Audio T8Vs, Bloody M550, HiFiMan HE400se, Tascam TM-80
Power Supply Rosewill Capstone 1000M | Enermax Revolution X't 730W (both with P14 fans)
Mouse Logitech G305, Bloody A91, Amazon basics, Logitech M187
Keyboard Redragon K530, Bloody B930, Epomaker TH80 SE, BTC 9110
Software W10 LTSC 21H2
It's been a while since I posted anything nostalgic-related in here. Mainly because I had to move on from old tech due to financial reasons, not to mention the fact that I sold most of my Voodoo & Tualatin collection keeping only the most essential & nostalgic pieces for myself. Such as those "Adison" systems I talked about, consisted of Chaintech Slot 1 motherboards & couple of Voodoo2 cards in SLI configuration. But those had been previously documented in here so I better not go into details ... instead, I'm going to talk about something entirely different.

I live in an old apartment building, which was built around early 60s. And so (as you can probably imagine) it witnessed a lot of changes, upgrades & makeovers over the course of time, but the public (stairwell) lighting fixtures remained the same ... until now. We are undergoing a complete makeover & slight modernization, which (among other things) include a whole new LED lighting fixtures with motion detection & CCTV cameras. Meaning that all the original stuff is getting binned & thrown away into the nearby dumpster. I suppose most people would argue & say that we are going for the better, but these things are approx. 60 years old now, and quite literally part of the history. So I'm kinda sad to see them gone & replaced with something as cheap & generic that's probably (most likely) NOT going to last 10 years, let alone 60 years like the original ones did.

Mind you, these fixtures are not unique, and they had been heavily used throughout most ... if not all public (and private) buildings, especially in central & eastern Europe. In fact, you can still find plenty of these today but they /are/ fading away, day after day as more & more people are replacing them for modern & fancy looking fixtures. In either case, they bring back a LOT of bitter-sweet memories of happy moments which are now long gone but never forgotten. So I took the moment to uhh ... "borrow" some of these globes while I still had the chance & converted one of them to stand alone, "ambient-lighting" (aka decoration) lamps. Finding a brand new plastic base was a challenging task, I will tell you that much but not impossible one ... not yet, at least. That being said, I've been told by several dealers & electric stores how they no longer keep these things in stock, and probably never again will, since they are no longer in production & no one really bothers to buy them. So in other words, "grab it while you can & don't look back". These are only the plastic fixtures (with the bulb socket) I was referring to, as the actual glass globe are quite literally unobtainable unless you find someone willing to sell them online or perhaps grab couple of them from an old building such as mine.

For the time being there is a so called "disco" lamp inside it, although I'm planning and hoping to upgrade it to a full RGB bulb eventually & have it continuously change the colors. Lamp socket is pretty standard, E27 that's available just about anywhere, and it was designed to handle up to 60W incandescent lamp inside it. Meaning that you can probably put 9W (or higher) LED bulb inside it, IF you ever need to. For me at least, it is all about preserving a memory & having (somewhat) interesting conversation piece, as I'm already using LED desk lamps & spotlights for the actual light source.
Old is gold, becoming more obvious each day. Nowadays if you want something of quality and you're not ready to search, read and spend a lot of money and time eventually, you got to make it yourself. I'm making my own furniture and modifying stock one for example. Another example is that a lot of people in Germany invest in real estates and oldtimers (cars) especially.

Edit: And I could agree that we should preserve as much fine old hardware pieces as we can, as the world is going in the opposite direction.

Last edited:
System Name Main W10
Processor i7 2700K
Motherboard Gig Z77 HD4
Cooling Xigmatech Tower Cooler
Memory 16 GB G-Skill 1600Mhz
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX 1080ti 11GB
Storage WD Gold 2 TB HD
Display(s) Acer 27" 1440P
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro
Audio Device(s) JDS Labs Element DAC/AMP
Power Supply Rosewill Hive 650 watt
Mouse MX 518
Keyboard Cherry 3000 with Blues
System Name Adison "Open Space" 19
Processor Intel Pentium II, 350MHz
Motherboard Chaintech 6BTM, Slot 1
Cooling SECC Cartridge
Memory 1x 64MB, PC100
Video Card(s) ATI Rage IIc AGP, Diamond Monster 3DII 12MB
Storage BTC BCD-40XH, Quantum Fireball 3.5 Series, EX6.4 GB
Display(s) LG StudioWorks 57M
Case Adison Midi Tower, ATX
Audio Device(s) Creative SoundBlaster 128
Power Supply Codegen 300W
Mouse Genius SlimStar 110, PS/2
Keyboard Genius SlimStar 110, PS/2
Software Microsoft Windows 98
Old is gold, becoming more obvious each day. Nowadays if you want something of quality and you're not ready to search, read and spend a lot of money and time eventually, you got to make it yourself. I'm making my own furniture and modifying stock one for example. Another example is that a lot of people in Germany invest in real estates and oldtimers (cars) especially.

Edit: And I could agree that we should preserve as much fine old hardware pieces as we can, as the world is going in the opposite direction.
Right?! These things are solid and heavy. The actual shade (globe) is entirely made out of thick glass, while the original fixture (base) was made from either porcelain OR bakelite ... depending on who (and when) it was manufactured. Modern fixtures however are made entirely out of cheap plastic, but at least they kept porcelain lamp socket, probably to handle the amount of heat from 60W lamp. On the other hand, these modern fixtures with motion detection & LED modules are made entirely of cheap & flimsy plastic, which you could probably poke (and punch) it with the pen or even a toothpick. Not that I'm going to do such thing of course, just pointing it out.

And yes, I absolutely agree. I did my best to save as much as I could. Just like I expected, these things ended up inside the box, but at least they were kind enough to keep them indoors, under the stairs & in public place, in case someone ever needs or wants to grab one. No one did, however they DID remove the old LED bulbs from the sockets, which (in my opinion) is quite sad & ironic. I even took one of the original bakelite fixtures, so I might even take a picture eventually & post it in here. Nostalgic "hardware" at its best ... right?! :)

Ruru

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite
Cooling Alphacool Eisbaer w/ 2x 240 rads
Memory 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) Asus GeForce RTX 3080 TUF w/ EKWB FC
Storage ~4TB SSDs + 6TB external HDDs
Display(s) Acer 27" 4K120 + Lenovo 32" 4K60
Case Define Mini C
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse MX518 og
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis remastered at 4K
It is with great pleasure I can announce the arrival of the final piece of the puzzle in my retro build. An exact PCIE counterpart to the AGP unit I bought new in the day, and still own.

The BFG 6800 Ultra overclocked. The showdown and endless hours of testing and gaming comparing this to the X850XT will be epic.

View attachment 334875

And what a coincidence, a brand new old stock Arctic Accelero X1 to suit, it's way chonkier than I expected.

View attachment 334876
View attachment 334877
Sucks that I have only a X800 Pro, so comparing that to my 6800U is a little unfair. And it's not a VIVO model so not flashable to XTPE. :(

wolf

Performance Enthusiast
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Case Coolermaster NR200P
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
Well , since you are deep into o/c world ...
You know that this "poor" 6800 Ultra , wont be able to keep up with the "beast" X850XT

Better find an X800XT for that dogfight
It's already evident that the X850XT is the faster card, up until it isn't because it doesn't support the full dx 9.0c feature set, still a lot of benching and comparing to do before I make the judgement of what matters more to me and this particular box and set of games installed.
Sucks that I have only a X800 Pro, so comparing that to my 6800U is a little unfair. And it's not a VIVO model so not flashable to XTPE. :(
To be fair, I'd wager the pro could likely go head to head with a 6800U, depending on the clocks of either...

I the long run if I decide to stick with the X850XT in the retro box, I'll want an aftermarket cooler for sure, this one's already a hair-dryer at 50% fan speed...

Or I can go for a faster card and do something fun like put the 6800U and X850XT in a box on the wall with glass and a sign "break in case of a 2004 gaming emergency" or the like :roll:

Last edited: