• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA Project G-Assist Hands On and Under the Hood

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
On Sunday, NVIDIA announced Project G-Assist, the AI chatbot for gamers that can be pulled up in the middle of the gameplay, and sought help from. You could just pause your game and Google for help, but G-Assist can be activated in game, and is situationally aware of your game (e.g.: it knows where you're stuck and how to help you out). It won't play the game for you, but give you actionable info on how to play, or improve. For example, you could ask it how to craft a particular weapon, and where to find the items needed in game, and get concise guidance. G-Assist also knows about your graphics card, framerates and other telemetry data.

We went hands-on with G-Assist, and found that it's very capable of doing the things NVIDIA claims it can, short of playing the game for you. They are showing a demo of ARK Survival, but the impressive part is that there's no integration of G-Assist in Ark—rather is runs as an injected overlay that can capture user input. This means that G-Assist can work in ANY game, even without official support. We also learned how G-Assist works under-the-hood, particularly how the chatbot is situationally aware of your game, and it's fascinating.

Besides an AI model to recognize spoken text, it runs multiple computer vision models to understand what's going on in-game. The first one is an OCR model that recognizes text on screen—like mission objectives, NPC names, etc. On top of that, another model is used to recognize objects in game—like enemy types. Since it's "seeing" your gameplay, it can tally what it sees with its vast pre-trained model of information, to come up with answers that are tailored to the last word. NVIDIA says that the performance cost of having G-Assist running is very low, since unlike DLSS, the application isn't sitting inside the graphics rendering pipeline, it's leisurely seeing frames the way a screen recording/streaming software would, and runs the compute-intensive model operations only after you give it a query to answer. To achieve that it keeps a log of previous frames that it encounters and only analyzes them when necessary.

Besides being an assistive AI, it can also take actions to make the right graphics and game settings. For that it is integrated with GeForce Experience Optimal Settings. For example, and NVIDIA demonstrated that working live in the demo, you could tell it to improve your framerates, either by overclocking, or changing details settings. You could also ask it to enable DLSS, or undervolt the GPU. Since it has access to live telemetry from the GPU, you can also request a chart of latency, power usage or GPU load. NVIDIA made it clear that this is a tech demo that's designed to show game developers what's possible in games if they integrated an AI-powered assistant.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name The Workhorse
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus B550 Pro
Cooling CPU - Noctua NH-D15S Case - 3 Noctua NF-A14 PWM at the bottom, 2 Fractal Design 180mm at the front
Memory GSkill Trident Z 3200CL14
Video Card(s) NVidia GTX 1070 MSI QuickSilver
Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) FiiO E-10K DAC/Amp, Samson Meteorite USB Microphone
Power Supply Corsair RMx850 (2018)
Mouse Razer Viper (Original)
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid TKL keyboard (Cherry MX Black)
Software Windows 11 Pro (23H2)
Uhhhhh, this seems… borderline cheating, if that works as demonstrated in reality?
Like:
You could tell it "hey I wish this button performed this combo," and it would configure things accordingly—everything short of playing the game for you.
That’s an effing yikes for competitive integrity of a lot of fighting games, for example. There are moves that are deliberately limited by execution and just putting them on a button when they aren’t SUPPOSED to be is… yeah.

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX. Water block. Crossflashed.
Storage Optane 900P[Fedora] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO+SN560 1TB(W11)
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) SMSL RAW-MDA1 DAC
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 40
I can see VAC and others banning this.

Also the impact on latency, stutter... It will not take off.

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Uhhhhh, this seems… borderline cheating, if that works as demonstrated in reality?
Like:
You could tell it "hey I wish this button performed this combo," and it would configure things accordingly—everything short of playing the game for you.
That’s an effing yikes for competitive integrity of a lot of fighting games, for example. There are moves that are deliberately limited by execution and just putting them on a button when they aren’t SUPPOSED to be is… yeah.
Only within the bounds of how the game allows you to remap keys. You're basically just setting up macros. If your game's settings don't allow you to set up macros or remap keys a certain way, then G-Assist is of no use. It's just a convenience versus manually remapping.

Cooling CPU - Noctua NH-D15S Case - 3 Noctua NF-A14 PWM at the bottom, 2 Fractal Design 180mm at the front
Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
Only within the bounds of how the game allows you to remap keys. You're basically just setting up macros. If your game's settings don't allow you to set up macros or remap keys a certain way, then G-Assist is of no use. It's just a convenience versus manually remapping.
Okay then, no qualms there. You, uh, mind to add that to the article itself since that’s actually a significant difference?

might as well let "AI play the game" and human "Assist the AI" instead when it's stuck somewhere.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
'AI' please tell me what my FPS and power usage is... (or I can just hit my desired shortcut and show all stats on screen)

Darwin disagrees with this. He really does, I asked him.

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
Jesus, just what we needed, freaking Clippy to help us play the game.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
'AI' please tell me what my FPS and power usage is... (or I can just hit my desired shortcut and show all stats on screen)

Darwin disagrees with this. He really does, I asked him.
Isn't your underlying, and harder question "how can I improve my FPS?".. and it does have pretty decent answers to that.

Check the last screenshot, the query was "lower power consumption, but make sure my FPS don't drop much below 60"

Last edited:
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
Isn't your underlying, and harder question "how can I improve my FPS?".. and it does have pretty decent answers to that.

Check the last screenshot, the query was "lower power consumption, but make sure my FPS don't drop much below 60"
Has it answered that... or has it done it for you, effectively taking 'work' out your hands.

And in that, has it not also taken knowledge out of your hands? Look, I can do this now. I think we're transitioning into an era where the skillset of the average human is outsourced. This is not a positive development if you ask me. We were already on that path, I recognize that too, even prior to AI. But I feel we're crossing the line here, and already reduced skillsets are painful for people. The gap between people of varying intelligence is also increasing: you either 'get it' or you never will. This also applies to the work people do: its quickly evolving into a 'have/have not' situation. The have nots are the ones that rely on prompts. The haves are the ones that control the machines.

On the bottom line, there is an increasing group in societies 'that just don't get it anymore', and AI isn't the fix for that, its part of the problem.

But that's thinking big.
Thinking smaller about this specific example...

Is this really such magic, or could we also just have a slider in the overclocking app that says 'maximum power usage' ? Because the algorithm is there already, we didn't need AI for it. Games already default you to the graphics settings that fit a desired FPS target, too...

Last edited:

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Has it answered that... or has it done it for you, effectively taking 'work' out your hands.
It answered, and offered to do it, and done it for me, I had choices all the time

Is this really such magic, or could we also just have a slider in the overclocking app that says 'maximum power usage' ? Because the algorithm is there already, we didn't need AI for it.
You are absolutely right. The current OC software tooling that I'm aware of will give you sliders that control one variable, not solve problems by changing multiple variables.

Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
It answered, and offered to do it, and done it for me, I had choices all the time
Does it apply it on the fly with no noticeable delay? Is the change gradual or does it apply all the power tweaks immediately once the request by user is made?

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
I can actually see this being quite useful for RPGs. For example, you get to settlement X and ask the LLM "is there an important NPC that I should speak to while I'm here?", or "are there any quests I could start?", or "are there any particular hazards I should be aware of?", or "are there any points of interest near this location?" Especially when you are just starting out in a game and are a little overwhelmed, such information could be extremely helpful.

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
I can actually see this being quite useful for RPGs. For example, you get to settlement X and ask the LLM "is there an important NPC that I should speak to while I'm here?", or "are there any quests I could start?", or "are there any particular hazards I should be aware of?", or "are there any points of interest near this location?" Especially when you are just starting out in a game and are a little overwhelmed, such information could be extremely helpful.
Yeah god forbid you have to actually search for things yourself and actually spend time to figure it out.

Its very efficient, isn't it, getting the info you need as you go. But is entertainment about efficiency? Perhaps to a segment of the market.

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
At what point playing the game becomes playing the "feed AI prompts" game? What next, we'll let the AI control the game because we don't want to bothered? Actually, that sort of makes sense for people with disabilities.

Last edited:
Processor R7-7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2 rev B
Memory no name DDR5-5200
Video Card(s) Some 3080 10GB
Storage dual Intel DC P4610 1.6TB
Display(s) Gigabyte G34MQ + Dell 2708WFP
Case Lian-Li Lancool III black no rgb
Power Supply CM UCP 750W
Software Win 10 Pro x64
honestly i don't get the negativity about this.
You talk about "cheating", but you do realize the time it takes to write the question and get the answer?, this will not affect any kind of "eSport"-trash or any PvP for that matter.

I see this as something i want yesterday, i can't even tell you how many times i've had to alt-tab a game to find some some walk-through due to poor game design and have to constantly tab in tab out to get the info i need to accomplish certain silly task/objective i don't care about in the game. With this i can get the AI to assist me INSIDE the game.

Think of stupid gather-unlock designs where you have to spend hours hunting "keys"/"pieces" in a maze-level(or several) only to get to the door and having the game tell you you still miss some and you have absolutely NO idea. Or dumb puzzles where the hint was some obscure NPC conversation or item half the world away ago that you saw 2 months ago with any luck or presented in some cryptic way(pathfinder WOTR is egregious, it might be months between my plays of that game).

Imagine loading a savegame you haven't touched in months/years and have absolutely not the faintest clue wtf you had to do and ask the chatbot for assistance on prioritizing the quests/items based on your map position

So yeah, i'm 200% hyped for this, will enrich my single player and coop gaming to absolute new levels of practicity

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
Of course, the bottom line is that you don't have to use it, if you don't want to. Good points above here, too.

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
Of course, the bottom line is that you don't have to use it, if you don't want to. Good points above here, too.
Exactly. As above, I might use this feature when I'm starting out in a game to help me get my bearings, but once I am comfortable I would turn it off.

I can also see it being useful in MMORPGs with timed events. "Hey LLM, what timed events are on now and where should I go to take part in them?"

Processor R7-7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2 rev B
Memory no name DDR5-5200
Video Card(s) Some 3080 10GB
Storage dual Intel DC P4610 1.6TB
Display(s) Gigabyte G34MQ + Dell 2708WFP
Case Lian-Li Lancool III black no rgb
Power Supply CM UCP 750W
Software Win 10 Pro x64
At what point playing the game becomes playing the "feed AI prompts" game? What next, we'll let the AI control the game because we don't want to bothered? Actually, that sort of makes sense for people with disabilities.

This speaks more about bad game design than player "laziness", you should be asking "why did they design it in a way that makes people want to autopilot this part?".

Gaming should be enjoyable, even more if you're a working adult and the gaming time is a precious commodity, as subjective as "enjoyment" is for each player and game type there are some universal responses for each game type/genre(for example: you might expect "rogue-like/lite" games to not feature on demand savegame, sould-like games to have punishing difficulty, survival games to feature lots of crafting) so i see this as a very welcome extra for those cases where a game turns tedious for you or you become stuck, or don't have time to pour through 20 forum threads to learn what the current "meta" is.

System Name YACS amd
Processor 5800x,
Motherboard gigabyte x570 aorus gaming elite.
Cooling bykski GPU, and CPU, syscooling p93x pump
Memory corsair vengeance pro rgb, 3600 ddr4 stock timings.
Video Card(s) xfx merc 310 7900xtx
Storage kingston kc3000 2TB, amongst others. Fanxiang s770 2TB
Display(s) benq ew3270u, or acer XB270hu, acer XB280hk, asus VG 278H,
Case lian li LANCOOL III
Audio Device(s) obs,
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti pro 1000w
Mouse logitech g703
Keyboard durogod keyboard. (cherry brown switches)
Software win 11, win10pro.
remember the 2001:space Odyssey quote?… (and apologies to the film ) (original quote from https://www.kpbs.org/news/news/scie...door-hal-heres-how-ai-became-a-movie-villain#)
because it was the first hit in google…)

coming soon to g.assist…

“Open the pod bay door, g.assist" became one of the most quoted game situations of the decade when g.assist responded, "I'm sorry, Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that. This mission is too important for me to allow you to jeopardize it."

get it? “ g spot assist” …

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Does it apply it on the fly with no noticeable delay? Is the change gradual or does it apply all the power tweaks immediately once the request by user is made?
There is no delay, stutter, lag or anything. Processing the prompt does take a second or so, which is probably due to the LLM, not sure to some settings change

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
Memory 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Trio
Storage Too much
Display(s) Acer Predator XB3 27" 240 Hz
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Topping DX5, DCA Aeon II
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10

Fair enough if you use that when you are stuck and have exhausted your options or when the game is not intuitive enough to give you that information naturally but using it otherwise is just robbing yourself of the experience of playing the game.

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
Exactly. As above, I might use this feature when I'm starting out in a game to help me get my bearings, but once I am comfortable I would turn it off.

I can also see it being useful in MMORPGs with timed events. "Hey LLM, what timed events are on now and where should I go to take part in them?"
Warframe would love this... might even consider playing it again. God thats some mess of possible things to do.

Fair enough if you use that when you are stuck and have exhausted your options or when the game is not intuitive enough to give you that information naturally but using it otherwise is just robbing yourself of the experience of playing the game.
Yeah but cheats do that too. You experience that quickly and then you can make a very informed choice if you want to keep doing it.

Processor 7600x -- 8600k
Motherboard MSI B650 -- ASRock z370
Cooling TR PA120 -- CM212
Memory 2x16GB -- 2x8GB
Video Card(s) PNY 4080 -- Zotac 2080ti
Storage 4TB SN850x / 4TB 870evo / 2TB SN770 -- 512GB 970 / 2TB WDBlue / some HDDs
Display(s) Acer XB271HU -- Sony X950H (49)
Case Torrent Compact Steel Panel -- Define R2
Power Supply BeQuiet Darkpower 13 750w -- Seasonic X750
Keyboard Epomaker TH80SE + EK21
Software Win10 (both)
Kinda get the feeling that AI botting is going to explode in the next few years, making most MMOs and even co-op/competitive stuff pretty irrelevant. It's been happening slowly over the past decade or so, but slope is getting really slippery at this point. Monitors with AI in them that highlight opponents, AI driven mice that snap-on headshots.. a bot that will run all your bots killing them nameds for sweet loot, etc.

System Name Very old, but all I've got ®
Processor So old, you don't wanna know... Really!
AFAIK, most multiplayer, at least FPS games, had marcros considered cheat, anyway, for a very long time. At least from my experience.