• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need a motherboard that will allow the most NVME external drives as possible.

System Name Kuro
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D@65W
Motherboard MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk WiFi
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO
Memory Corsair DDR5 6000C30 2x48GB (Hynix M)@6000 30-36-36-48 1.36V
Video Card(s) PNY XLR8 RTX 4070 Ti SUPER 16G@200W
Storage Crucial T500 2TB + WD Blue 8TB
Case Lian Li LANCOOL 216
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster AE-7
Power Supply MSI MPG A850G
Software Ubuntu 24.04 LTS + Windows 10 Home Build 19045
Benchmark Scores 17761 C23 Multi@65W
For the record, you do NOT "wipe" SSDs. That is not effective due to the way data is written to SSDs and due to how wear-leveling and TRIM functions work. You must use a "Secure Erase" app to ensure all previously saved data on a SSD is no longer viable.

Only hard drives can be "wiped".
To add to that, most SSDs are self-encrypting, meaning that you only need to throw away the encryption key (using an app) and data is no longer readable. Note, I'm not talking about encryption like BitLocker.
I've been led to understand that "Secure Erase" actually is the instruction to the drive to throw away that encryption key, though whether that is actually "secure" is open to definition, depending on your requirements and, in the end, threat profile.

I think "3 pass DOD wipe" has long been superseded as a standard. Really Important stuff now gets pulverized.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS Prime X470-Pro
Cooling bequiet! Dark Rock Slim
Memory 64 GB ECC DDR4 2666 MHz (Samsung M391A2K43BB1-CTD)
Video Card(s) eVGA GTX 1080 SC Gaming, 8 GB
Storage 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1 TB Samsung 850 EVO, 4 TB Lexar NM790, 12 TB WD HDDs
Display(s) Acer Predator XB271HU
Case Corsair Obsidian 550D
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty
Power Supply Seasonic X-Series 560W
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Glorious GMMK
I've been led to understand that "Secure Erase" actually is the instruction to the drive to throw away that encryption key, though whether that is actually "secure" is open to definition, depending on your requirements and, in the end, threat profile.

I think "3 pass DOD wipe" has long been superseded as a standard. Really Important stuff now gets pulverized.
Yes, on SSDs it's usually the Secure Erase feature that just throws away the encryption key and it is *very* secure. The data is still there, of course, but without the encryption key it's completely useless. I believe AES encryption is usually used.

System Name AlderLake / Laptop
Processor Intel i7 12700K P-Cores @ 5Ghz / Intel i3 7100U
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master / HP 83A3 (U3E1)
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans / Fan
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MT/s CL36 / 8GB DDR4 HyperX CL13
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio / Intel HD620
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2 / Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD
Display(s) 23.8" Dell S2417DG 165Hz G-Sync 1440p / 14" 1080p IPS Glossy
Case Be quiet! Silent Base 600 - Window / HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W / Powerbrick
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Laser wireless / Logitech M330 wireless
Keyboard RAPOO E9270P Black 5GHz wireless / HP backlit
Software Windows 11 / Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock
I would check at least 50~100 of those NVMe's with Crystal disk info to see how much % life they have left, before I would splurge any amount of money in this project...

GL.

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
An Intel or AMD platform that has a fair number of PCIe x16 slots that are mechanically x16, as many of these as you have PCIe slots, enough of these to match your drive count (3 slots = 24 drives = 2 enclosures), cables to match, and bob's your auntie.

You'll just be running `diskpart clean all` to trigger Secure Erase which should take almost no time for each drive, so I agree that hot-swapping is your best bet. A PCIe NVMe M.2 card would require you to shut down and restart the machine between runs to swap out drives, which would likely take more time than actually erasing them...

Last edited:
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage Intel 905p Optane 960GB boot, +2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64 / Windows 11 Enterprise IoT 2024
Yes, on SSDs it's usually the Secure Erase feature that just throws away the encryption key and it is *very* secure. The data is still there, of course, but without the encryption key it's completely useless. I believe AES encryption is usually used.
Until Quantum comes out, which is why threat profile matters.

bloodybastard69

This is all new info for me. The company that supplied the NVME's is requiring the 3 pass DOD wipe with documentation. Is there a better, more secure way to "sanitize" them. A way that we would be able to prove to the company that the data is actually not retrievable. Or the only way to be sure is actually physically destroying the drive?

System Name Kuro
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D@65W
Motherboard MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk WiFi
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO
Memory Corsair DDR5 6000C30 2x48GB (Hynix M)@6000 30-36-36-48 1.36V
Video Card(s) PNY XLR8 RTX 4070 Ti SUPER 16G@200W
Storage Crucial T500 2TB + WD Blue 8TB
Case Lian Li LANCOOL 216
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster AE-7
Power Supply MSI MPG A850G
Software Ubuntu 24.04 LTS + Windows 10 Home Build 19045
Benchmark Scores 17761 C23 Multi@65W
This is all new info for me. The company that supplied the NVME's is requiring the 3 pass DOD wipe with documentation. Is there a better, more secure way to "sanitize" them. A way that we would be able to prove to the company that the data is actually not retrievable. Or the only way to be sure is actually physically destroying the drive?
If memory serves, DOD style wipes are from the age of low-density spinners, where a single zeroing will still leave forensically recoverable data. It has not been relevant for a while, not ever since it is discovered that even overwriting mechanical hard disks several times still sometimes left whole sectors of recoverable data, which could be for any reason from reallocation and other mechanisms, to the threats of malware and theoretically, rogue firmware.

None of these are relevant to SSDs, which have wear leveling and overprovisioning, and no amount of rewrites would guarantee that all sectors would be erased and rewritten. Trusting Secure Erase in this context is implicitly also trusting the drive manufacturer to have implemented the function and the algorithms correctly, and to have left no backdoors.

Of course, either might well not actually matter, depending on your threat profile. As to company policy, IMHO it's likely more advantageous to just follow them, whether they make sense or not, unless you are in place to make changes. I'd recommend looking deeper into this matter yourself, rather than trusting random strangers on the 'net. ;)

System Name KLM
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard B-650E-E Strix
Cooling Arctic Cooling III 280
Memory 16x2 Fury Renegade 6000-32
Video Card(s) 4070-ti PNY
Storage 512+512+1+2+2+2+2+6+500+256+4+4+4
Display(s) VA 32" 4K@60 - OLED 27" 2K@240
Case 4000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Edifier 1280Ts
Power Supply Shift 1000
Mouse 502 Hero
Keyboard K68
Software EMDB
Benchmark Scores 0>1000
If he has 5000 SSD, not all will have same specs like overprovisionning...

System Name CyberPowerPC ET8070
Processor Intel Core i5-10400F
Motherboard Gigabyte B460M DS3H AC-Y1
Memory 2 x Crucial Ballistix 8GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Super
Storage Boot: Intel OPTANE SSD P1600X Series 118GB M.2 PCIE
Display(s) Dell P2416D (2560 x 1440)
Power Supply EVGA 500W1
Software Windows 11 Home
The company that supplied the NVME's is requiring the 3 pass DOD wipe with documentation.

If they require 3 pass DOD, that is the requirement; it would be counterproductive to even bring up talk of an alternative.

IMHO it's likely more advantageous to just follow them, whether they make sense or not ...

Agreed

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
Memory 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Trio
Storage Too much
Display(s) Acer Predator XB3 27" 240 Hz
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Topping DX5, DCA Aeon II
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
As bill pointed out you don't do a 3 pass wipe on SSDs or more specifically you shouldn't. That's just wasting their endurance and does nothing over NVMe's built in sanitize command. With SSDs simply deleting the mapping table or encryption key is enough to render all data on the drive non-viable. I'd also stick with one of the software suits designed to handle data sanitization like DBAN or KillDisk as you mentioned you intend to use. Other pieces of software may have a "secure erase" or wipe feature but often times this will only be designed for HDDs in that it'll do x number of writes over the data.

I've been playing around with external USB enclosures for the past week. They are very unreliable and inconsistent. And unless I have them plugged into a Thunderbolt connection, very slow. The other problem is most of them have trouble detecting the serial number of each drive which I need for documentation. It's a pain having to input the serial numbers manually in KillDisk.
Surprisingly the best luck I've had with external wiping was on an M2 Mac Mini using a Thunderbolt 4 hub.

Yes, I've also found that sometimes they prevent me from issuing sanitize or secure erase commands as well. My sample size is small though, I only have 2 external docks. I'm sure there has to be some kind of external enclosure that is reliable that is used by people who do this a lot. It can be very time consuming to install and uninstall M.2 drives if you are doing a lot of them.

To add to that, most SSDs are self-encrypting, meaning that you only need to throw away the encryption key (using an app) and data is no longer readable. Note, I'm not talking about encryption like BitLocker.

It should be noted that most consumer SEDs don't enable encryption until the user turns it on. Encryption on windows, both software and hardware, in handled by BitLocker. You can see Crucial's guide for enabled encryption on SEDs here: https://www.crucial.com/support/articles-faq-ssd/setup-ssd-encryption-via-bitlocker

Many people will assume their data is safe when in fact encryption might be entirely disabled.

The actual implementation of secure erase varies a bit from vendor to vendor and depends on the drive's feature set. A different command is issued for a SATA SSD for example as compared to a NVMe SSD. More info on that here: https://www.killdisk.com/manual/index.html#erase-concepts.html

A SED with encryption enabled could indeed just delete the encryption key and that would be acceptable. A drive with encryption disabled might just delete the mapping table and mark all blocks for deletion.

NIST 800-88 indicates that either secure erase or sanitize meet acceptable purge methods. Doing a drive wipe that simply overwrites doesn't actually delete all the data on an SSD:

"The mapping layers, and how the flash controller manages memory allocation, pretty much ensure that either erasing or performing a conventional hard drive type of secure erase won’t ensure all data is overwritten, or even erased at all."

That said if the company that is supplying the drives requires a specific approach, it's unlikely that you'll have much sway if they are a government organization or any company of size. I wouldn't attempt to go down that rabbit hole unless you are dealing with an small business or individual that perhaps doesn't know better. Anythign bigger has far too much inertia.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
If memory serves, DOD style wipes are from the age of low-density spinners, where a single zeroing will still leave forensically recoverable data. It has not been relevant for a while, not ever since it is discovered that even overwriting mechanical hard disks several times still sometimes left whole sectors of recoverable data, which could be for any reason from reallocation and other mechanisms, to the threats of malware and theoretically, rogue firmware.
Spot on, those wipes were designed to deal with the magnetic properties of a HDD. It's been updated to deal with other mediums, but still does very little for SSDs: https://www.bitraser.com/blog/dod-wiping-the-secure-wiping-standard-to-get-rid-of-data/

Because of how SSDs relocate blocks internally, you can't even be sure you're touched all of them.

System Name Firelance.
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
A "DoD wipe" is simply erasing a drive in accordance with the DoD 5220.22-M standard, which was published in 1995 - basically in prehistoric times by computer hardware standards. Any company telling you to use this on SSDs is run by incompetent clowns, because running a DoD wipe on an SSD will unnecessarily consume an entire drive's worth of writes from the NAND while potentially not even touching all the blocks. The people who design SSDs created various commands for securely destroying data stored on NAND devices without having to completely overwrite said NAND, and NIST 800-88 - published in 2014 - is fully aware of SSDs and how to properly erase them. Refer to page 36, "Flash Memory-Based Storage Devices: Purge".

Note that that "Flash Memory-Based Storage Devices: Clear" explicitly calls out the above issues with performing a DoD wipe on an SSD.

Power Supply EVGA 500W1
Software Windows 11 Home
Last edited:
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS Prime X470-Pro
Cooling bequiet! Dark Rock Slim
Memory 64 GB ECC DDR4 2666 MHz (Samsung M391A2K43BB1-CTD)
Video Card(s) eVGA GTX 1080 SC Gaming, 8 GB
Storage 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1 TB Samsung 850 EVO, 4 TB Lexar NM790, 12 TB WD HDDs
Display(s) Acer Predator XB271HU
Case Corsair Obsidian 550D
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty
Power Supply Seasonic X-Series 560W
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Glorious GMMK
It should be noted that most consumer SEDs don't enable encryption until the user turns it on. Encryption on windows, both software and hardware, in handled by BitLocker. You can see Crucial's guide for enabled encryption on SEDs here: https://www.crucial.com/support/articles-faq-ssd/setup-ssd-encryption-via-bitlocker

Many people will assume their data is safe when in fact encryption might be entirely disabled.
I specifically do not mean Windows (Bitlocker) encryption. Most SSDs I know of do automatically encrypt the drive for the sole reason that throwing away the encryption key to wipe the drive does not impact the wear on the drive.

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
Memory 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Trio
Storage Too much
Display(s) Acer Predator XB3 27" 240 Hz
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Topping DX5, DCA Aeon II
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
I specifically do not mean Windows (Bitlocker) encryption. Most SSDs I know of do automatically encrypt the drive for the sole reason that throwing away the encryption key to wipe the drive does not impact the wear on the drive.

The data is encrypted but no actual verification is done to ensure the user has permission to access said data. There is nothing restricting anyone from accessing said encrypted data by default which defeats the purpose of the encryption in the first place. I was pointing out in my comment how this can be misleading to people as they assume their data is protected when encrypted but in this case it might as well not be encrypted at all unless they go out of their way to actually setup the encryption.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage Intel 905p Optane 960GB boot, +2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64 / Windows 11 Enterprise IoT 2024
Nearly all drives that actually support encryption are always running it, its just a matter of whether the controller is set to ask you for a passphrase before handing over the Media Encryption Key (MEK). In the out of the box state, it just hands it right over.

Erasing/Reseting the MEK is the foundation of an ATA enhanced secure erase command.

Last edited:
Power Supply EVGA 500W1
Software Windows 11 Home
Erasing/Reseting the MEK is the foundation of an ATA enhanced secure erase command.

So, the information remains present, just not accessible?

All the more reason a DOD wipe might be specified.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
Power Supply EVGA 500W1
Software Windows 11 Home
But who knows about quantum attacks by future machines so I can see the need to delete the information.

System Name Main PC
Processor 13700k
Motherboard Asrock Z690 Steel Legend D4 - Bios 13.02
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32 Gig 3200CL14
Video Card(s) 3080 RTX FE 10G
Storage 1TB 980 PRO (OS, games), 2TB SN850X (games), 2TB DC P4600 (work), 2x 3TB WD Red, 2x 4TB WD Red
Display(s) LG 27GL850
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D2X
Power Supply Antec HCG 750 Gold
Software Windows 10 21H2 LTSC
I thought secure erase worked by zapping all the sectors to 0 value, hence the warnings often given it will increment erase cycle by one doing it. Does it work differently now then by preserving the data and just wiping the key?

System Name Firelance.
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
But who knows about quantum attacks by future machines so I can see the need to delete the information.
That's not how anything works.

I thought secure erase worked by zapping all the sectors to 0 value, hence the warnings often given it will increment erase cycle by one doing it. Does it work differently now then by preserving the data and just wiping the key?
That's not secure erase.

Power Supply EVGA 500W1
Software Windows 11 Home

ir_cow

Staff member
Current encryption is quantum computer safe up to the bit length. 8-qbits does a lot and is working. 128 is the current focus.

Power Supply EVGA 500W1
Software Windows 11 Home
I actually feel that error correction will be the Achilles' heel of quantum computing, but now I drift off-topic.

Last edited: