• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need a motherboard that will allow the most NVME external drives as possible.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS Prime X470-Pro
Cooling bequiet! Dark Rock Slim
Memory 64 GB ECC DDR4 2666 MHz (Samsung M391A2K43BB1-CTD)
Video Card(s) eVGA GTX 1080 SC Gaming, 8 GB
Storage 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1 TB Samsung 850 EVO, 4 TB Lexar NM790, 12 TB WD HDDs
Display(s) Acer Predator XB271HU
Case Corsair Obsidian 550D
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty
Power Supply Seasonic X-Series 560W
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Glorious GMMK
I thought secure erase worked by zapping all the sectors to 0 value, hence the warnings often given it will increment erase cycle by one doing it. Does it work differently now then by preserving the data and just wiping the key?
Secure Erase on most SSDs (the ones that support encryption) just throws away the encryption key. The data is still on the drive, but it's just complete garbage.

I may not have stated this properly before but the encryption key is internal to the drive and is automatically generated. The encryption is completely transparent so while any access goes through the encryption from the user point of view you're looking at an unencrypted drive. You can also move the drive to another PC and it still works as intended.

However, if the current encryption key is overwritten (which is what Secure Erase does in *this* context) all data on the drive is lost. Technically, it's still there but good luck making any sense of it at all. It's just a collection of random bits.

I believe, if the drive supports encryption using the TCG Opal standard an external source can manage the key, which is how the hardware-based version of BitLocker works. Of course, then you can no longer just move the drive to another PC. You need to somehow move the key with it.

As for good old HDDs, some of the server-grade ones also do support a mechanism as explained above. They're usually referred to as SEDs (self-encrypting drives). Those can also be erased by simply ditching the key. With normal HDDs you still have to overwrite the data to erase them. I believe the DOD Wipe specs state several overwrites using different bit patterns.

EDIT: Just read the article linked above. It explains things a lot better than I did. :)

System Name Main PC
Processor 13700k
Motherboard Asrock Z690 Steel Legend D4 - Bios 13.02
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32 Gig 3200CL14
Video Card(s) 3080 RTX FE 10G
Storage 1TB 980 PRO (OS, games), 2TB SN850X (games), 2TB DC P4600 (work), 2x 3TB WD Red, 2x 4TB WD Red
Display(s) LG 27GL850
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D2X
Power Supply Antec HCG 750 Gold
Software Windows 10 21H2 LTSC
That's not how anything works.

That's not secure erase.
hmm, someone linked after your reply to another thread which has this post.

but also

and

Seems it has changed over the years as encryption has become common. I replied in that thread as well and obviously forgot what I was told in there.