• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Would you pay more for hardware with AI capabilities?

Would you pay more for hardware with AI capabilities?

• Yes

Votes: 2,086 7.3%
  • No

Votes: 24,247 84.3%
  • Don't know

Votes: 2,413 8.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
System Name DevKit
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600 ↗4.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus WiFi
Cooling Koolance CPU-300-H06, Koolance GPU-180-L06, SC800 Pump
Memory 4x16GB Ballistix 3200MT/s ↗3600
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 580 Red Devil 8GB ↗1380MHz ↘1105mV, PowerColor RX 7900 XT Hellhound 20GB
Storage 240GB Corsair MP510, 120GB KingDian S280
Display(s) Nixeus VUE-24 (1080p144)
Case Koolance PC2-601BLW + Koolance EHX1020CUV Radiator Kit
Audio Device(s) Oculus CV-1
Power Supply Antec Earthwatts EA-750 Semi-Modular
Mouse Easterntimes Tech X-08, Zelotes C-12
Keyboard Logitech 106-key, Romoral 15-Key Macro, Royal Kludge RK84
VR HMD Oculus CV-1
Software Windows 10 Pro Workstation, VMware Workstation 16 Pro, MS SQL Server 2016, Fan Control v120, Blender
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R15: 1590cb Cinebench R20: 3530cb (7.83x451cb) CPU-Z 17.01.64: 481.2/3896.8 VRMark: 8009
For 3D modeling it's nothing short of absolutely transformative.
I want to see something happen with spriting but it's probably not needed.
All of the VR shitposts that I've seen and contributed to during 2017-2022 has been pretty wild.
AI is just another brush for making them happen and in that way, I'm all for it.
I'm still really far behind on adopting this stuff. Have been sitting on stacks of this material for months.

I want to see something happen with spriting but it's probably not needed.
All of the VR shitposts that I've seen and contributed to during 2017-2022 has been pretty wild.
AI is just another brush for making them happen and in that way, I'm all for it.
I'm still really far behind on adopting this stuff. Have been sitting on stacks of this material for months.

You'd have to elaborate a bit further on what you mean by sprinting how can ChatGPT sprint!? :rolleyes: I'm not really sure what you're alluding to on the matter of sprites in regard to ChatGPT. Like there is plenty it should be capable of doing with sprites depending on intent and usage. Like it should be able to rotate selected tiles randomly in 90, 180, and 270 intervals. Also you could essentially just make grayscale sprites I believe in theory if you intend to use the sprites in 3D for like textures. You could then just randomly colorize the grayscale sprite textures in the way you have in mind and it should work moderately well.

You could go some steps further too with then taking those results and joining some of them together into like 4, 9, 16, 25, 36, 49, 64, ect sprite tiles (planes in 3D) which you could then scale larger or smaller and do further randomization of those. That said if you join them they will all get colored the same and if you don't they won't and each tile will be colorized individually. The scaling of course is simply to make the relative pixelization appear smaller or larger in relative terms in essence. Like scale it smaller if you don't want them to look more like Valheim. You'd probably also want to eventually join them as mentioned.

I'm not sure how it work in other software, but I know Aseprite has some plugin support and supports LUA. I imagine ChatGPT can write LUA, C#, C++, and F-- or whatever other BASIC coding language you'd like it to.

Blender actually has some AI stable diffusion UV mapping texturing stuff it can do though right within it that I haven't tried out yet, but is just awesome from what I saw of it. I'm personally rather hype already about what I'm seeing with AI and it's just going to get better and that's quite exciting.

A individual being able to conceive and build what they imagine is fantastic. If you can dream it the AI will eventually be able to more or less build it or some loose interpretation of it. That's just super cool technology to me.

Blender 2.jpg

Did a little bit of tinkering got it so I can modify selected faces. I imagine I can tell the AI do this to selected faces and assign them random seamless textures too within a folder destination as well. Where that gets cool is you can like create sprite style seamless textures.

Which yeah that's rather dope. That's pretty much no small part of why I bought Aseprite recently. I figured it would be good in tandem with Blender. I really don't know if I'll even make much usage out of it, but it was nifty program $12's or so on sale.

I should revisit that circle depiction from earlier and do this with randomly selected faces and see how much more varied it looks. Also I'd like to combine that along with handful of different objects and kind of tossing them all into a Blender which ironically is a pun given the program in question, but that's not what I meant by that alright let's not take the the word blender out of context. I meant kind of puree it all together into a AI scripted 3D generative smoothie.

So anyway yeah it's neat the scripts it can write that you can then combine, mix, and utilize together do some pretty intricate stuff quickly and easily that would be much more time consuming and difficult to do manually. It would be fascinating with animated with the same selected tiles, but differently randomized colors of the same type or different color types as well. That would make for a rather cool glitch effect.

I know it's rather scattered, but just wanted to loosely demonstrate what's possible.

Last edited:
System Name Shirakami
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte B650i AORUS Ultra
Cooling Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX w/ ultra slim 2x120mm fans
Memory 2x24GB Hynix M-Die @ 7200 (32-44-32-36-60) - Tuned secondary/tertiaries
Video Card(s) 6900 XT Reference / 2500 MHz (under load) ~ 1050 MHz memory @ 245w
Storage 1 & 2 TB NVMe - 1 TB SATA SSD
Display(s) LG 34GN850 (3440x1440) 160 Hz overclock
Case Lian Li Q58
VR HMD Reverb G2 V2
Software Fedora 40 operating system (daily) - Win11 (Virtual Reality stuff)
I would pay more for less AI on my hardware. A pure raster 4090 without any AI segments taking up space would be my dream. Future Intel chips with 10 / 12 / 16 cores instead of AI blocks? Yes, please.

System Name Kuro
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D@65W
Motherboard MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk WiFi
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO
Memory Corsair DDR5 6000C30 2x48GB (Hynix M)@6000 30-36-36-48 1.36V
Video Card(s) PNY XLR8 RTX 4070 Ti SUPER 16G@200W
Storage Crucial T500 2TB + WD Blue 8TB
Case Lian Li LANCOOL 216
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster AE-7
Power Supply MSI MPG A850G
Software Ubuntu 24.04 LTS + Windows 10 Home Build 19045
Benchmark Scores 17761 C23 Multi@65W
I see this topic and the poll result has become a news story over on VideoCardz
Poll shows 84% of PC users unwilling to pay extra for AI-enhanced hardware
*Add obvious disclaimers regarding self-selection bias, of a specific group of English-speaking PC users sufficiently savvy to visit a classic tech site, and felt sufficiently bothered about the issue to vote.

Though my inner optimist would suppose that the same might be said of then-exotic capability of hardware T&L in PC graphics maybe 25 years ago.

*Add obvious disclaimers regarding self-selection bias, of a specific group of English-speaking PC users sufficiently savvy to visit a classic tech site, and felt sufficiently bothered about the issue to vote.
Um, that's woefully ignorant. TPU's viewership is spread across the globe more or less VERY evenly. This poll was a resounding input from the whole planet to the industry.
Though my inner optimist would suppose that the same might be said of then-exotic capability of hardware T&L in PC graphics maybe 25 years ago.
And you would be wrong again. Hardware T&L was a very desirable effect back then that EVERYONE wanted because of how beautiful it was.

Last edited:
System Name Nebulon B
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 24 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-4800
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 6750 XT 12 GB
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 2.1 speakers, AKG Y50 headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
Um, that's woefully ignorant. TPU's viewership is spread across the globe more or less VERY evenly. This poll was a resounding input from the whole planet. to the industry.
Besides, even if we go with the assumption that TPU voters are a specific group of tech enthusiasts (although you don't have to be registered on the forum to vote on the main page as far as I know, but that's besides the point here), the fact that 84% of such a hardcore tech enthusiast group is not interested in AI is telling something, isn't it?

Edit: Let's also not go besides the fact that more than 26,000 people voted. I wouldn't say with 100% certainty that 100% of them are tech junkies and avid forum frequenters to say the last.

System Name Kuro
Case Lian Li LANCOOL 216
Um, that's woefully ignorant. TPU's viewership is spread across the globe more or less VERY evenly. This poll was a resounding input from the whole planet. to the industry.
Okay, I'd weaken that to "Sufficiently tech-savvy and either understand English sufficiently well, or sufficiently savvy about machine translation tools, to know about TPU and understand what the poll is about, and felt strong enough to vote on this issue."

Still feels pretty self-selected to me, but I do agree with the conclusion. ;)
And you would be wrong again. Hardware T&L was a very desirable effect back then that EVERYONE wanted because of how beautiful it was.

I stand corrected - I was under the impression that early implementations were sufficient flawed that software solutions both looked better and were sometimes faster. I think I might be confusing it with something else.

System Name Nebulon B
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 24 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-4800
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 6750 XT 12 GB
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 2.1 speakers, AKG Y50 headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
Okay, I'd weaken that to "Sufficiently tech-savvy and either understand English sufficiently well, or sufficiently savvy about machine translation tools, to know about TPU and understand what the poll is about, and felt strong enough to vote on this issue."

Still feels pretty self-selected to me, but I do agree with the conclusion. ;)
TPU shows up on a simple Google search on anything remotely related to IT. No savviness is needed.

Yeah but think about it: What sector of users are going to make the most of AI features? The average users or the techies?
Still feels pretty self-selected to me,
That might be fair. Given that anyone could vote, regardless of having an account or being logged in, who knows.

I stand corrected - I was under the impression that early implementations were sufficient flawed that software solutions both looked better and were sometimes faster. I think I might be confusing it with something else.
In fairness to you, it has been 25 years. There were some glitches in the early version of T&L that were resolved before going live to the public. Geforce and Radeon T&L was perfect at launch and got better after a few driver refinements. 3DFX had their own "version" of T&L that rendered a different way, but still worked perfectly.

@ Industry Execs/Pundits
I'm going to offer a personal opinion, one that I think makes sense.

Make NPU/AI specific hardware a plugin format. PCIe, USBC Thunderbolt, etc.. For those of us who don't want, will not use or do not trust AI, don't force it on us. Make it something we can add in IF we want it.

Last edited:
System Name Kuro
Case Lian Li LANCOOL 216
Yeah but think about it: What sector of users are going to make the most of AI features? The average users or the techies?
Perversely, it might well be the average user who would benefit more, if those features would do half of what they are being envisioned to do.

Say, someone wants to make a spice cake. The average user could just tell the AI to put in the orders, even though it might end up ordering a kilo of nutmeg at first. More savvy users would likely do their own research on recipe and suppliers as before, and not involve those features as much.

More savvy users probably won't have as much suspension of disbelief for anything interactive either, for good or ill.

And, at least, we now know what a specific group of techies think about the issue.

Perversely, it might well be the average user who would benefit more, if those features would do half of what they are being envisioned to do.
There is that point and it's not an bad one. The trust aspect is for many, including non-techies, a big sticking point.

Last edited:

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
Videocardz did an article on the poll here and the results and this was my response there:

"AI has it's uses but not much for the average customer imo. It's harder to fool tech enthusiasts about the value of AI than it is to fool the average uninformed PC buyer. AI is a buzzword for most people and it gets hyped to the moon by marketers. You can slap that label on a PC and charge more for it. Kind of like hardware manufacturers did with slapping "Gaming" on parts to make them look more desirable."

One response to my post there was that AI is involved in DLSS so I guess there is that benefit to me but I would be paying extra for a decent gaming card anyway.

Videocardz did an article on the poll here and the results and this was my response:

"AI has it's uses but not much for the average customer imo. It's harder to fool tech enthusiasts about the value of AI than it is to fool the average uninformed PC buyer. AI is a buzzword for most people and it gets hyped to the moon by marketers. You can slap that label on a PC and charge more for it. Kind of like hardware manufacturers did with slapping "Gaming" on parts to make them look more desirable."

One response to my post there was that AI is involved in DLSS so I guess there is that benefit to me but I would be paying extra for a decent gaming card anyway.
Yup, someone already linked it earlier. You got Ninja'd!! ;)

System Name daily driver Mac mini M2 Pro
Processor Apple proprietary M2 Pro (6 p-cores, 4 e-cores)
Motherboard Apple proprietary
Cooling Apple proprietary
Memory Apple proprietary 16GB LPDDR5 unified memory
Video Card(s) Apple proprietary M2 Pro (16-core GPU)
Storage Apple proprietary onboard 512GB SSD + various external HDDs
Display(s) LG 27UL850W (4K@60Hz IPS)
Case Apple proprietary
Audio Device(s) Apple proprietary
Power Supply Apple proprietary
Mouse Apple Magic Trackpad 2
Keyboard Keychron K1 tenkeyless (Gateron Reds)
Software macOS Sonoma 14.5 (with latest patches)
Benchmark Scores (My Windows daily driver is a Beelink Mini S12 Pro. I'm not interested in benchmarking.)
Without a doubt, enterprise & government customers will end up using AI way more than consumers if we go by a simple metric like TOPS. They already are.

Joe Consumer will end up occasionally using AI-powered features but companies like FedEx, Pfizer, Walmart, JPMorganChase will run their $100 million AI clusters at 100% usage 24x7.

Consumer adoption will pick up when there are credible AI usage cases that work on a smartphone, the primary computing modality for consumers in 2024. We know that it won't be one single usage case, it will be multiple usage cases that cover a wide swath of operations. It won't be some sort of AI pureplay feature.

My best guess is that AI will eventually be an automated part of the photo/video workflow, e-mail/message composition and management, calendar management, project management, and more.

We already know that students have steadily increased AI usage for homework assignments for the past couple of years. Once they can do this easily on a smartphone, it can probably be considered to have gone mainstream.

It's not a question of "if". It's just a question of "when".

By 2026, it will be difficult to buy an upper tier smartphone that doesn't have NPU cores. You're going to get the AI silicon even if you deliberately choose to disable all the AI functionality. Today mobile devices are the driving force behind personal technology innovation not PCs. Apple debuting their M4 SoC on the iPad Pro (and not a MacBook) is a clear reflection of this shift to mobile.

Last edited:
System Name Kuro
Case Lian Li LANCOOL 216
Videocardz did an article on the poll here and the results and this was my response there:

There are a lot more precedents than that in PC marketing. It's arguably better than the technical or actual fraud of marketing early AMD64/EM64T platforms installed with 32-bit OS and with no 64-bit driver support as "64-bit" like it's some secret sauce, or listing drive capacity with disk compression enabled.

There are some actual values in even current AI, capable of some things that even classic Star Trek did not quite imagine, outside isolated cases like Data and the EMH, or guys that would also happily kill you like, say, Landru. The concerns are way older than even modern microelectronics.

'Ai' is a billionaire and corporation scam to get richer.

Let's start with it's not 'intelligence' either. Which is marketing. Even machine learning implies intelligence when there is none.

System Name TheDeeGee's PC
Processor Intel Core i7-11700
Motherboard ASRock Z590 Steel Legend
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory Crucial Ballistix 3200/C16 32GB
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 4070 Ti 12GB
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 2TB / Crucial P3 Plus 2TB / Crucial P3 Plus 4TB
Display(s) EIZO CX240
Case Lian-Li O11 Dynamic Evo XL
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster ZxR / AKG K601 Headphones
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME Fanless TX-700
Mouse Logitech G500s
Keyboard Keychron Q6
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Benchmark Scores None, as long as my games runs smooth.
This poll is pretty pointless, because we all know damn well it's not going to be a choice we can make in the near future.

You buy a GPU and it will have everything, wether you like it or not.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
This poll is pretty pointless, because we all know damn well it's not going to be a choice we can make in the near future.

Alternate poll idea: since your GPU will have AI capabilities, your CPU will have AI capabilities as well, which one do you plan on using? :D

Not true. With enough public push back, companies will not include it if people will not buy it. Some are unwilling to pay extra, others will not buy anything that includes it.

bug

Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Not true. With enough public push back, companies will not include it if people will not buy it. Some are unwilling to pay extra, others will not buy anything that includes it.
True. This reminds me of the last time consumers pushed back at CPU and GPU makers and won. It was... wait a minute... I know this... I swear it will come to me...

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
As illustrated by the ease with which you were able to conjure up some examples ;)
Right to repair? That fight is still on going but we're winning it. There's one. I could keep going like that. Is it worth my time? No. Because we all knows the court of public opinion is a powerful court indeed.