• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Any other game like resident evil 1?

System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX B660-I
Cooling Stock Intel Cooler
Memory 2x16GB DDR5 5600 Corsair
Video Card(s) Dell RTX 3080
Storage 1x 512GB Mmoment PCIe 3 NVME 1x 2TB Corsair S70
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply 750W Cooler Master sfx
Software Windows 11
not resident evil but still good horror games:

Penumbra series
Stifled
Clive Barker's Undying
System Shock series
Stalker series
Alien: Isolation
F.E.A.R.
Condemned series
The Thing

The Thing is getting a remaster. So I am gonna have to get it. I dont have my OG copy anymore on my Xbox

PE2 is RE like 99%
Yeah, it definitely is. I just don't consider it really scary though. But I guess it is indeed a RE1 like game.

To me, it was RE series then Silent Hill. Anything else fell inbetween.

Cold Fear I thought was great, should have gotten sequels.

There is also a fps horror game called "Ebola". Made by one guy (I think)

System Name KLM
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard B-650E-E Strix
Cooling Arctic Cooling III 280
Memory 16x2 Fury Renegade 6000-32
Video Card(s) 4070-ti PNY
Storage 512+512+1+2+2+2+2+6+500+256+4+4+4
Display(s) VA 32" 4K@60 - OLED 27" 2K@240
Case 4000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Edifier 1280Ts
Power Supply Shift 1000
Mouse 502 Hero
Keyboard K68
Software EMDB
Benchmark Scores 0>1000
The Thing is getting a remaster. So I am gonna have to get it. I dont have my OG copy anymore on my Xbox

Yeah, it definitely is. I just don't consider it really scary though. But I guess it is indeed a RE1 like game.

To me, it was RE series then Silent Hill. Anything else fell inbetween.

Cold Fear I thought was great, should have gotten sequels.

Daymare 1998 (and sequel) has not been quoted in the thread, it's RE inspired.

System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX B660-I
Cooling Stock Intel Cooler
Memory 2x16GB DDR5 5600 Corsair
Video Card(s) Dell RTX 3080
Storage 1x 512GB Mmoment PCIe 3 NVME 1x 2TB Corsair S70
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply 750W Cooler Master sfx
Software Windows 11
Played both.

Daymare 1998 was pretty decent, but you could really see the limitations of the Unreal 4 engine for outdoor enviornments, and the voice acting mixed with dialogue was so bad, it was cringy. But the game was fun. But kinda....easy.

Second one is kinda boring.

System Name Custom
Processor i9 9900k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 arous master
Cooling corsair h150i
Memory 4x8 3200mhz corsair
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 EX Gamer White OC
Storage 500gb Samsung 970 Evo PLus
Display(s) MSi MAG341CQ
Case Lian Li Pc-011 Dynamic
Audio Device(s) Arctis Pro Wireless
Power Supply 850w Seasonic Focus Platinum
Mouse Logitech G403
Keyboard Logitech G110
another title that plays similar to resident evil 1 is alone in the dark the new nightmare 2001, I've played this before but I feel the controls felt clunky

Last edited:
Processor i9-9900K @ 5.1GHz (H2O Cooled)
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
Cooling CPU = EK Velocity / GPU = EK Vector
Memory 32GB - G-Skill Trident Z RGB @ 3200MHz
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6900 XT (H2O Cooled)
Storage Samsung 860 EVO - 970 EVO - 870 QVO
Display(s) Samsung QN90A 50" 4K TV & LG 20" 1600x900
Case Lian Li O11-D
Audio Device(s) Presonus Studio 192
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 850W
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2S
Keyboard Matias RGB Backlit Keyboard
Software Windows 10 & macOS (Hackintosh)
I haven't bought these Ebola games because there are a lot of users complaining about poor controls, there is no controller support, and general jankiness. Though I game on a PC, I prefer a controller for majority of games. Only stuff like construction management and RTT and RTS games do I prefer KB+Mouse. And I just now realize same dev (or dev(s)?....who knows lol) made more games and they are met with the same mixed reviews and lots of complains about bugs/jank and poor controls. "indie_games_studio" is churning out relatively mediocre horror titles it seems. Wow, a lot of them are just plain negative, and the rest are mixed. Only EBOLA II and III are "mostly positive" (just barely getting that metric at 70% positive lol) and they have released 22 games. ouch, that's not a great batting average.

inspired is an understatement. it was literally meant to be a RE2 remake until Capcom wanted to do one themselves so this dev team needed to come up with their own unique game/storyline after the fact that they had this game mostly completed.

I didn't mention Daymare: 1998 because it's a bit on the "meh" side. I had a lot of fun playing it and getting 100% achievements. But I went back to play it a couple times since and it was not as fun. Some sections were great, I particularly liked the hospital areas, others were like "I just want to get through this area!"

If you didn't know that bit about it starting off as a literal RE2 remake, take note of the "city" area. The gun shop is laid out exactly like it is a clone of the original RE2 Kendo's Gun Shop. Red carpet and ammo on the shelf and everything lol. You gotta do that "lights out" (anyone remember that hand held game!?) puzzle in the back corner to cut electricity to get past an electrified puddle.

Aiming with a controller was a bit jank in this game. Very hard to make minor/small movement. Mouse felt way better but I like playing with a controller when I can.

I found a bug where pistol clips would literally clip through certain floors, ones that were like metal grates. Pistol clips were very few and far between to find in this game so when this happened you were shit out of luck. You would need to reload your most recent save or deal with continuing on without a very useful resource. The clips only made sense in the "old school" mode (I forget exactly what it was called) where you had to actually reload clips and you could drop them on the floor to fast load the next one if needed. I only played this old school mode and never the modern one. We are survival horror fans after all so get that modern crap outta here lol

Game breaking bug in that "city" area with the Kendo Gun Shop clone where you do the puzzle in the plaza area needing to decipher clues on all those plaques. A lot of the time, interacting with one of them would crash the game. When I went back to play this game and it crashed there I would just toss my hands in the air and be like F IT i'm done playin this game.

With all that said, these are all reasons I didn't buy the sequel, along with it was met by the same it's not terrible but it's not that good either kinda reviews. "mostly positive" Deep discount sales in the future might convince me otherwise but until then, many more games are appealing to me.

System Name KLM
Processor 7800X3D
Case 4000D Airflow
Power Supply Shift 1000
Mouse 502 Hero
Keyboard K68
Software EMDB
Benchmark Scores 0>1000
I haven't bought these Ebola games because there are a lot of users complaining about poor controls, there is no controller support, and general jankiness. Though I game on a PC, I prefer a controller for majority of games. Only stuff like construction management and RTT and RTS games do I prefer KB+Mouse. And I just now realize same dev (or dev(s)?....who knows lol) made more games and they are met with the same mixed reviews and lots of complains about bugs/jank and poor controls. "indie_games_studio" is churning out relatively mediocre horror titles it seems. Wow, a lot of them are just plain negative, and the rest are mixed. Only EBOLA II and III are "mostly positive" (just barely getting that metric at 70% positive lol) and they have released 22 games. ouch, that's not a great batting average.

inspired is an understatement. it was literally meant to be a RE2 remake until Capcom wanted to do one themselves so this dev team needed to come up with their own unique game/storyline after the fact that they had this game mostly completed.

I didn't mention Daymare: 1998 because it's a bit on the "meh" side. I had a lot of fun playing it and getting 100% achievements. But I went back to play it a couple times since and it was not as fun. Some sections were great, I particularly liked the hospital areas, others were like "I just want to get through this area!"

If you didn't know that bit about it starting off as a literal RE2 remake, take note of the "city" area. The gun shop is laid out exactly like it is a clone of the original RE2 Kendo's Gun Shop. Red carpet and ammo on the shelf and everything lol. You gotta do that "lights out" (anyone remember that hand held game!?) puzzle in the back corner to cut electricity to get past an electrified puddle.

Aiming with a controller was a bit jank in this game. Very hard to make minor/small movement. Mouse felt way better but I like playing with a controller when I can.

I found a bug where pistol clips would literally clip through certain floors, ones that were like metal grates. Pistol clips were very few and far between to find in this game so when this happened you were shit out of luck. You would need to reload your most recent save or deal with continuing on without a very useful resource. The clips only made sense in the "old school" mode (I forget exactly what it was called) where you had to actually reload clips and you could drop them on the floor to fast load the next one if needed. I only played this old school mode and never the modern one. We are survival horror fans after all so get that modern crap outta here lol

Game breaking bug in that "city" area with the Kendo Gun Shop clone where you do the puzzle in the plaza area needing to decipher clues on all those plaques. A lot of the time, interacting with one of them would crash the game. When I went back to play this game and it crashed there I would just toss my hands in the air and be like F IT i'm done playin this game.

With all that said, these are all reasons I didn't buy the sequel, along with it was met by the same it's not terrible but it's not that good either kinda reviews. "mostly positive" Deep discount sales in the future might convince me otherwise but until then, many more games are appealing to me.
Daymare 2 looks strange, outfit is ugly, reviews verry bad, 1 i didn't do... Ebola i just learned there is 2 & 3 by your writing tho. I will lookn at 2 & 3 if ever it's rightly one could be interesting.

It's forbidden to use gamepad on PC, that's what i think, but...

Did you play and found bugs in early version (v2.x now) ?.. bc when a game is out it always receives tons of patches, if it was last release so game will never be fixed for sure otherwise it could have been after you finished it.

Last 2020-6 patch did:
  • move faster
  • reload easily (no ammo management)
  • skip puzzles
  • two new maps for H.A.D.E.S. Dead End

++

edit: if ebola 1 bad reviewed, then 2 & 3 could be bad but just reviewed by those liking 1 !!!

Case Lian Li O11-D
Daymare 2 looks strange, outfit is ugly, reviews verry bad, 1 i didn't do... Ebola i just learned there is 2 & 3 by your writing tho. I will lookn at 2 & 3 if ever it's rightly one could be interesting.

It's forbidden to use gamepad on PC, that's what i think, but...

Did you play and found bugs in early version (v2.x now) ?.. bc when a game is out it always receives tons of patches, if it was last release so game will never be fixed for sure otherwise it could have been after you finished it.

Last 2020-6 patch did:
  • move faster
  • reload easily (no ammo management)
  • skip puzzles
  • two new maps for H.A.D.E.S. Dead End

++

edit: if ebola 1 bad reviewed, then 2 & 3 could be bad but just reviewed by those liking 1 !!!

yes I would have played it on the most recent patched version. I was a bit late to the party playing that game. In fact, I did give Daymare 1998 a positive Steam review and I think it's worth playing but I would also advise others to consider if they can only afford one game and they are say trying to choose between Daymare 1998 and Tormented Souls......the other game is going to win like every time. Relatively speaking, Daymare 1998 isn't quite as good as some of the other similar games that have been released in the last half a dozen or so years.

System Name KLM
Processor 7800X3D
Case 4000D Airflow
Power Supply Shift 1000
Mouse 502 Hero
Keyboard K68
Software EMDB
Benchmark Scores 0>1000
yes I would have played it on the most recent patched version. I was a bit late to the party playing that game. In fact, I did give Daymare 1998 a positive Steam review and I think it's worth playing but I would also advise others to consider if they can only afford one game and they are say trying to choose between Daymare 1998 and Tormented Souls......the other game is going to win like every time. Relatively speaking, Daymare 1998 isn't quite as good as some of the other similar games that have been released in the last half a dozen or so years.

Looks like it's a dev's level thing, a lot of love to Tormented Souls has been expressed, the two looks to be in a good shape tho, for me it's too much strange setup (monsters...), also i looked at video yesterday (bc of this topic) and it looks buggy, i mean, character walking then if an enemy is here it pushes him like an object.......
Lok the mod don't even have animation :p

Case Lian Li O11-D
regarding a strange setup

part of my review of Daymare 1998 literally said "Checks the usual survival horror checkboxes.....<goes on here>......has a ridiculous storyline involving bioweapons"

So looking at Tormented Souls, I mean, c'mon, is a religious cult giving people shots that mutate them into some abomination really anymore ridiculous than the whole Umbrella story line for the Resident Evil franchise? All these games reek of cheap B movie horror stories. In my opinion, it's part of the charm. They are all bat shit crazy stories lol

regarding bugs, I have no complaints about bugs with Tormented Souls. my only sorta complaint was some of the puzzles were too vague or challenging. out of all these games mentioned, this one required the most "I gotta suck it up and look up the solution to a puzzle" moments. The puzzles were great, but some were just beyond difficult for me to decipher.

Oh if you are referring to "judder" or "stuttering" look in Tormented Souls. This is an accurate fact. The game engine, Unity, I heard only updates particular things at 50 FPS, (and/or multiples thereof). So when I started playing this game on 60Hz the 3D character models looked fine and their animation is very smooth, but the environment looked sorta juddery/stuttery. I found lowering to 50Hz resolved that issue. I then went to a 120Hz display and tried the game there. Same issue at 120Hz. So I then lower to 100Hz and it looks great there since it's a multiple of 50. This has more to do with the game engine than the devs themselves. This is where I first learned of this issue, but I've seen it on only Unity games too. Like I can barely noticed it in You Will Die Here Tonight, but the presentation is much different in that game so it was super difficult to notice but it's there.

I know nothing about it's mods, I couldn't watch the video since I'm on a work laptop right now, I'm guessing the judder/stutter thing is what you may be referring to. Otherwise, animations are very smooth in that game. One somewhat repeated complaint from users was the main character model looks sorta out of place. Everything is very dark and morbid looking in this game, yet, that character looks like she's trying to set some fashion statement with her outfit. Looks a little "doll" like for lack of a better description. So any complaints to me have all been cosmetic. The game itself should be a must play for any genuine survival horror fan.

System Name KLM
Processor 7800X3D
Case 4000D Airflow
Power Supply Shift 1000
Mouse 502 Hero
Keyboard K68
Software EMDB
Benchmark Scores 0>1000
regarding a strange setup

part of my review of Daymare 1998 literally said "Checks the usual survival horror checkboxes.....<goes on here>......has a ridiculous storyline involving bioweapons"

So looking at Tormented Souls, I mean, c'mon, is a religious cult giving people shots that mutate them into some abomination really anymore ridiculous than the whole Umbrella story line for the Resident Evil franchise? All these games reek of cheap B movie horror stories. In my opinion, it's part of the charm. They are all bat shit crazy stories lol

regarding bugs, I have no complaints about bugs with Tormented Souls. my only sorta complaint was some of the puzzles were too vague or challenging. out of all these games mentioned, this one required the most "I gotta suck it up and look up the solution to a puzzle" moments. The puzzles were great, but some were just beyond difficult for me to decipher.

Oh if you are referring to "judder" or "stuttering" look in Tormented Souls. This is an accurate fact. The game engine, Unity, I heard only updates particular things at 50 FPS, (and/or multiples thereof). So when I started playing this game on 60Hz the 3D character models looked fine and their animation is very smooth, but the environment looked sorta juddery/stuttery. I found lowering to 50Hz resolved that issue. I then went to a 120Hz display and tried the game there. Same issue at 120Hz. So I then lower to 100Hz and it looks great there since it's a multiple of 50. This has more to do with the game engine than the devs themselves. This is where I first learned of this issue, but I've seen it on only Unity games too. Like I can barely noticed it in You Will Die Here Tonight, but the presentation is much different in that game so it was super difficult to notice but it's there.

I know nothing about it's mods, I couldn't watch the video since I'm on a work laptop right now, I'm guessing the judder/stutter thing is what you may be referring to. Otherwise, animations are very smooth in that game. One somewhat repeated complaint from users was the main character model looks sorta out of place. Everything is very dark and morbid looking in this game, yet, that character looks like she's trying to set some fashion statement with her outfit. Looks a little "doll" like for lack of a better description. So any complaints to me have all been cosmetic. The game itself should be a must play for any genuine survival horror fan.
The mods lack animation, if you watch video legs and arms stay straight (like a chess piece), if not, the models are good (2 are) mods would be usable, bc yes, it's all about the main char model to be comlplained, otherwise game looks good enough overhaul.

I understand better if it's a religious entity that leads the plot, monsters look verry disgusting, II will be good for sure.

Dead space
I cant believe no one else has mentioned it. one of the best games ever made

Case Lian Li O11-D
The mods lack animation, if you watch video legs and arms stay straight (like a chess piece), if not, the models are good (2 are) mods would be usable, bc yes, it's all about the main char model to be comlplained, otherwise game looks good enough overhaul.

I understand better if it's a religious entity that leads the plot, monsters look verry disgusting, II will be good for sure.
the cult thing doesn't really rear its head until closer to the end of the game. it's hinted in several ways earlier in the game, particularly one of the first other characters you meet is a priest. but I should stop there because if I give any more details I could be in spoiler territory

Dead space
1st page brah lol :p
This game has always gone under my radar. One of these days I'll give these Dead Space games/remakes a try!

Ruru

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Alphacooled
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite
Cooling Custom loop
Memory 48GB Kingston DDR4-3200C16
Video Card(s) Asus GeForce RTX 3080 TUF OC 10GB EKWB
Storage ~3TB SSDs + 6TB external HDDs
Display(s) Acer 27" 4K120 IPS + Lenovo 32" 4K60 IPS
Case Corsair 4000D Airflow White
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse Logitech MX518 + Asus TUF P1 mousepad
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro UK English
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis
Dino Crisis (PS1/Dreamcast)
Haunting Ground (PS2)
Dino Crisis should have a RE-stryle remake done with RE Engine. Capcom's been hella great with the RE remakes.

I'm glad I'm not the only one to feel this way. Most other people will tell you you're wrong if you find the puzzles too vague or difficult.
Oh if you are referring to "judder" or "stuttering" look in Tormented Souls. This is an accurate fact. The game engine, Unity, I heard only updates particular things at 50 FPS, (and/or multiples thereof). So when I started playing this game on 60Hz the 3D character models looked fine and their animation is very smooth, but the environment looked sorta juddery/stuttery. I found lowering to 50Hz resolved that issue. I then went to a 120Hz display and tried the game there. Same issue at 120Hz. So I then lower to 100Hz and it looks great there since it's a multiple of 50. This has more to do with the game engine than the devs themselves.
I completely forgot about this when mentioning my opinions on the game, but yes, I can confirm the same. I was playing it at 60 Hz and I was getting 60 FPS rendered, but something internally (animations) was going at 50 FPS, so there was this visual mismatch going on that appeared like stutter, even though your frame rate was truly 60 FPS. It didn't throw input or the feel off, mind you, just the look. If you wanted to smooth it out, setting your frame rate (and thus, refresh rate is syncing) to a multiple of 50 would do it.

Unfortunately, the developer claimed they'd look into it, but... nothing was ever changed with it as far as I know. Now I'm hoping the sequel doesn't have the same thing. It won't stop me from playing or loving it if it does, but my goodness it's awkward being the only game I have to go into Windows and drop my refresh rate for simply due to this engine/render frame rate mismatch.

ir_cow

Staff member
Dead space
Just pretend 2 and 3 doesn't exist because the developer sure forgot to follow their own lore lol.

Ruru

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Cooling Custom loop
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
parasite eve
Wonder why they didn't release it on PAL region but did on the second one. Why not a later re-release? :(

Still haven't played it to this day, maybe I'll fire up an emulator one day.

System Name KLM
Processor 7800X3D
Case 4000D Airflow
Power Supply Shift 1000
Mouse 502 Hero
Keyboard K68
Software EMDB
Benchmark Scores 0>1000
Eldervale
Remaster looks stuck in time btw, a good one

And by reading last comments found :

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1696960/Lake_Haven__Chrysalis - looks like PsX SH1 graphics; in 2023 !!

Last edited:
Case Lian Li O11-D
forgot about this one. this game I would say has same amount of "polish" as Daymare: 1998 but is more traditional in the survival horror game play mechanics when compared to Daymare: 1998

Ruru

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Cooling Custom loop
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Need to buy ObsCure. Sucks that it's pretty rare on PS2 (at least the English PAL version) so I'll just get it for PC now. I have ObsCure II on PS2 though.

System Name KLM
Processor 7800X3D
Case 4000D Airflow
Power Supply Shift 1000
Mouse 502 Hero
Keyboard K68
Software EMDB
Benchmark Scores 0>1000
Need to buy ObsCure. Sucks that it's pretty rare on PS2 (at least the English PAL version) so I'll just get it for PC now. I have ObsCure II on PS2 though.

When PAL is 50hz, avoid.

My own advice (proof):

Ruru

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Cooling Custom loop
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
When PAL is 50hz, avoid.

My own advice (proof):

No can do when I live in PAL area and have a PAL console. My PS2 is a soft-modded one, but I like collecting as well.

System Name KLM
Processor 7800X3D
Case 4000D Airflow
Power Supply Shift 1000
Mouse 502 Hero
Keyboard K68
Software EMDB
Benchmark Scores 0>1000
No can do when I live in PAL area and have a PAL console. My PS2 is a soft-modded one, but I like collecting as well.

Do you see sonic, it's not the same game from 50 to 60hz, SF-II too was slowed, it makes games unplayable for me, a lot PS2 games can be forced to 60hz back btw.

Case Lian Li O11-D
Unfortunately, the developer claimed they'd look into it, but... nothing was ever changed with it as far as I know. Now I'm hoping the sequel doesn't have the same thing. It won't stop me from playing or loving it if it does, but my goodness it's awkward being the only game I have to go into Windows and drop my refresh rate for simply due to this engine/render frame rate mismatch.
are you familiar with AHK (AutoHotkey) at all? after I got into using frontends I learned AHK language to write scripts that would aid in automating things like this

for ex, when I launch Tormented Souls I run a script that checks the PC's name, because I have two systems. One uses a 120Hz display, the other is only 60Hz. So if the game is launched on the system that uses the 120Hz display it will automatically switch whatever is required, in this case, going from 120Hz to 100Hz. If it were launched on the 60Hz display system, it would go to 50Hz. At exit of the game, it will automatically switch those values back. This works because I use a frontend called LaunchBox and its premium version Big Box. Using this I can tell it to automatically launch the script prior to launching the game, and in the script, checks for when the game closes in order to know when to change the refresh rate back.

perhaps a bit convoluted to get into for just a single game, but wanted to mention if there is will, there is a way! scripting!

System Name KLM
Processor 7800X3D
Case 4000D Airflow
Power Supply Shift 1000
Mouse 502 Hero
Keyboard K68
Software EMDB
Benchmark Scores 0>1000
PsX 50-60hz

Running became ridiculous, even global pace, and sound sync, imagine all the work done from original to do 50hz

Ruru

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Cooling Custom loop
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
PsX 50-60hz

Running became ridiculous, even global pace, and sound sync, imagine all the work done from original to do 50hz
Luckily HDTVs came and there was no need for 50Hz anymore.