• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Noctua NH-D15 G2

I meant this

Is it moved 8mm to one side for more gpu backplate clearance?

As far as actual measurements who knows, as you said no detailed spec pdf on their website. From the product photos it does look shifted in a similar fashion.

IMG_5583.jpeg

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
WTAF is this price??? I guess cheap AIOs are really killing air coolers and Noctua has decided they don't want to be part of a race to the bottom, but... they were already the Apple of air coolers, you can't really become the Apple of Apple of air coolers. Not expecting Noctua to be around for too much longer at this rate.

1- Do you record CPU temp (main board sensor) or hottest core temp (internal reading from like HWInfo64)? And how long do you keep max load in minutes?
2- Do you use contact frame or stock intel retention mechanism?

I have a 14900k and a D15 gen1, for 250watt it's hard to keep it under 90c with excellent mounting and thermal paste application. And limited PL 1 and 2 to 253watt and ICCMax 307A with plenty of case ventilation.

I have a 14900k and a D15 gen1, for 250watt it's hard to keep it under 90c with excellent mounting and thermal paste application. And limited PL 1 and 2 to 253watt and ICCMax 307A with plenty of case ventilation.
Try undervolting it, from what I heard that will also prevent that chip from killing itself.

Try undervolting it, from what I heard that will also prevent that chip from killing itself.
Already did. I use Typical Case Scenario on SVID behavior (which lowers ACLL to 0.4mohm). DC LL is level 4 (1.0mohm). Disabled Synch AC/DC LL calibration (stupid default settings on recent z790 BIOSes).
Max voltage is 1.39v.
SP is not bad, 99 for my 14900k too.
It's just a poorly designed, factory far pushed chip. Worse Intel CPU I had, and I had many for the past 20 years.

veleciraptor

Extremely expensive for what it offers. TR PS 120 Evo which is 1/3 the price of Noctua only 1 degree hot. Very bad price/performance ratio for Noctua. I wonder what will happen when TR release Royal Preytor Ultra. Not a good buy for conscious consumers.

Extremely expensive for what it offers. TR PS 120 Evo which is 1/3 the price of Noctua only 1 degree hot. Very bad price/performance ratio for Noctua. I wonder what will happen when TR release Royal Preytor Ultra. Not a good buy for conscious consumers.
Noctua is not only good for thermal performance, material quality, ease of installation and quietness are all additional great aspects. In addition to great customer service.

ARF

Noctua is not only good for thermal performance, material quality, ease of installation and quietness are all additional great aspects. In addition to great customer service.

This applies to many, if not all the others, cooler makers. Previously, I had a Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme, from 2008, which I was offered to get an AM4 bracket for.

Did you just rewrite a sentence from Noctua brochure?

Thermal performance is NORMAL and comparable to competition, and could you please explain how do materials differ from other taiwanese or chinese made coolers?

System Name Mean machine
Processor 12900k
Motherboard MSI Unify X
Cooling Noctua U12A
Memory 7600c34
Video Card(s) 4090 Gamerock oc
Storage 980 pro 2tb
Display(s) Samsung crg90
Case Fractal Torent
Audio Device(s) Hifiman Arya / a30 - d30 pro stack
Power Supply Be quiet dark power pro 1200
Mouse Viper ultimate
Keyboard Blackwidow 65%
I already using 13+ year my old Noctua D14 still original fan working silent, I even receive free mounting kit to AM4 currently using it with Am5. And his is oldest part in my PC ;)
Yeap, that's the whole point. People look at the price but forget this thing is going to outlast the user. You buy it once, you have it for life.

Noctua have never been about value. This is the best air cooler you can buy and the graphs confirm it. You can't use more than 1 cooler on a CPU, so the amount of coolers you can get for this is somewhat irrelevant. This cooler was never going to be about value, it was about Noctua engineering the very best air cooler, and they achieved that.

You're paying for the engineering that has gone into making this the best air cooler you can buy(R&D isn't cheap). You're also paying for top notch customer support, and if the past is anything to go by, future socket support at no-cost. That being said, this costs a bit too much with how close to the competition it is. I think a more reasonable price would be $100-130, and I think it'll get down to that ~$130 within the year.
What? You are saying that a cooler being designed and engineered and scrapped and started again from scratch several times is going to be expensive? Oh lord, who would have thought

/s

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard ASUS B550M-Plus WiFi II
Cooling Noctua U12A chromax.black
Memory Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3600Mhz
Video Card(s) Palit RTX 4080 GameRock OC
Storage Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB + 980 Pro 2TB
Display(s) Asus XG35VQ
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) Creative Gigaworks - Razer Blackshark V2 Pro
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Razer Viper
Software Windows 11 64bit
Yeap, that's the whole point. People look at the price but forget this thing is going to outlast the user. You buy it once, you have it for life.

For those who are willing to keep it for more than 10 years, the price is fine.
The problem is people get bored and want a change. So selling it, they lose money.

System Name Mean machine
Processor 12900k
Motherboard MSI Unify X
Cooling Noctua U12A
Memory 7600c34
Storage 980 pro 2tb
Display(s) Samsung crg90
Case Fractal Torent
Mouse Viper ultimate
Keyboard Blackwidow 65%
For those who are willing to keep it for more than 10 years, the price is fine.
The problem is people get bored and want a change. So selling it, they lose money.
If you are frequently change your coolers for no reason then noctua isn't for you. Nothing wrong with that, buy something else.

So you presume that Noctua will still exist in the next decades and supply several mounting uprages for their decades old coolers? And do you really believe that those plastic fans will last for decades?

What would they sell if they were only supporting their old coolers?

System Name Mean machine
Processor 12900k
Motherboard MSI Unify X
Cooling Noctua U12A
Memory 7600c34
Storage 980 pro 2tb
Display(s) Samsung crg90
Case Fractal Torent
Mouse Viper ultimate
Keyboard Blackwidow 65%
So you presume that Noctua will still exist in the next decades and supply several mounting uprages for their decades old coolers? And do you really believe that those plastic fans will last for decades?

It's the only one company thus far that almost begged me not to buy one or their new coolers and just ask - free or charge - for a new mounting bracket. That's a company I want to support. I don't know if their fans will last for 10 years but they'll last twice as long as everyone else's so there is that.

I have noctua fans that have been working almost 24/7 since 2011, and according to the gamers nexus interview they have customers who have been using the same fans since 2006.
So yeah they do last decades.

System Name Firelance.
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
And therein lies the problem with capitalism: companies are perversely disincentivised from producing high-quality products because such products provide a lesser revenue stream.

It works in business because you can sell extended warranties and after-sales support, but that isn't really a thing for a consumer product - especially one as uncomplicated as an air cooler.

I mean while there are benefits to Noctua, many manufacturers will send/sell you adapters for older coolers. Sure Noctua will probably do it for free and have a good and fast support, but I would guess you probably could just contact Thermalright buy the adapter, and use a Thermalright Ultra 90/120 from 2006 with your new AM5/LGA1700 CPU, even if with some issues arise while doing so.
BTW they do actually have the adapter for the mentioned cooler, but I have no personal experience on how it's to actually get it.

System Name Firelance.
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
I mean while there are benefits to Noctua, many manufacturers will send/sell you adapters for older coolers. Sure Noctua will probably do it for free and have a good and fast support, but I would guess you probably could just contact Thermalright buy the adapter, and use a Thermalright Ultra 90/120 from 2006 with your new AM5/LGA1700 CPU, even if with some issues arise while doing so.
BTW they do actually have the adapter for the mentioned cooler, but I have no personal experience on how it's to actually get it.
And the required adapter can probably be found for a handful of $ on Ebay or AliExpress.

System Name The Workhorse
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus B550 Pro
Cooling CPU - Noctua NH-D15S Case - 3 Noctua NF-A14 PWM at the bottom, 2 Fractal Design 180mm at the front
Memory GSkill Trident Z 3200CL14
Video Card(s) NVidia GTX 1070 MSI QuickSilver
Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) FiiO E-10K DAC/Amp, Samson Meteorite USB Microphone
Power Supply Corsair RMx850 (2018)
Mouse Razer Viper (Original)
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid TKL keyboard (Cherry MX Black)
Software Windows 11 Pro (23H2)
To be fair, it’s a hunk of aluminum. Unless you physically abuse it ANY such cooler will last a lifetime. There’s nothing to really break on them. Of course, Noctua fans ARE incredibly long lived too, but really, it’s up to one’s discretion to decide whether essentially paying 100-120 bucks over the competition just for said fans is something that’s worth said fans. Comes out to 50-60 bucks per fan which… eh, it is what it is.

notanin

Given similar performance I certainly can pay some premium for aesthetics.
G2 markup is crazy and it is quite ugly as well (subjective, of course) :/

Ruru

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X h2o
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite
Cooling Custom loop, Arctic & Corsair fans
Memory 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) Asus GeForce RTX 3080 TUF h2o
Storage ~3TB SSDs + 6TB external HDDs
Display(s) Acer 27" 4K120 + Lenovo 32" 4K60
Case Corsair 4000D Airflow White
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse Logitech MX518 + Asus TUF P1 mousepad
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis
Great cooler, but 150USD for an aircooler is just insane. A "core" version without fans would probably be priced wiser.

System Name The Workhorse
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus B550 Pro
Cooling CPU - Noctua NH-D15S Case - 3 Noctua NF-A14 PWM at the bottom, 2 Fractal Design 180mm at the front
Memory GSkill Trident Z 3200CL14
Video Card(s) NVidia GTX 1070 MSI QuickSilver
Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) FiiO E-10K DAC/Amp, Samson Meteorite USB Microphone
Power Supply Corsair RMx850 (2018)
Mouse Razer Viper (Original)
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid TKL keyboard (Cherry MX Black)
Software Windows 11 Pro (23H2)
@Ruru
Like two thirds of the price ARE the fans. The heatsink itself is much of muchness with the old NH-D15/S. “Core” version would be grabbing one of those used and slapping the new fans on when they come out this Fall, I would think. Or doing the same with a TR cooler, I guess.

ARF

1. The user will upgrade the system, with very low chance they will keep the cooler.
2. The fan MTBF is around 100,000 hours.

I do not know if many of you commenters noticed that the cooler body vibrates and a fin buzzes. I have never seen any cooler with a buzzing fin before.

I compared the vibrations with each one and both fans running and one fan seems to vibrate more. So the fans you are complimenting so much can be faulty.

Reactions: ARF