• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Statement on 13th and 14th Gen Core Instability: Faulty Microcode Causes Excessive Voltages, Fix Out Soon

But how this microcode was tested? (It was tested like the famous Crowdstrike driver ...) I mean it's pretty basic task to test voltages and temperatures at the engineering phases, how the hell they not catched the faulty microcode?

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Every Intel i9 since 10th gen has just felt like the old days of AMD's Piledriver-based FX-9590 - an inferior architecture that's overclocked to within an inch of its life at ridiculously inefficient and overheating power limits. We know Intel has been behind in IPC for years now, and their solution is to just add more voltage. This wasn't a mistake, it was Intel pushing things way too far and it biting them in the ass - they gambled and lost.

I think if you've bought a "253W" Intel CPU in the last half-decade, you've known what you're getting yourself into and hopefully you've either bought the 350W+ motherboard and ridiculous cooler needed to accommodate it, or you've gone into your BIOS and enforced your own, strict limits on how much trouble your "253W" processor can actually get itself into by locking PL1 and PL2 to reasonable values for your cooling and preferred noise levels. Sure, you're not going to get the same performance as the published benchmarks show when the CPU can actually guzzle >300W but at just 150W the 12th/13th/14th gen CPUs aren't actually bad at all; They're simply ruined by extremely inefficient overvolt/overclocks right out of the box by Intel.

Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
But how this microcode was tested? (It was tested like the famous Crowdstrike driver ...) I mean it's pretty basic task to test voltages and temperatures at the engineering phases, how the hell they not catched the faulty microcode?
Because they probably tested on an Intel Test Motherboard and didn't have these issues.

Ignored Mod Warning
Every Intel i9 since 10th gen has just felt like the old days of AMD's Piledriver-based FX-9590 - an inferior architecture that's overclocked to within an inch of its life at ridiculously inefficient and overheating power limits. We know Intel has been behind in IPC for years now, and their solution is to just add more voltage. This wasn't a mistake, it was Intel pushing things way too far and it biting them in the ass - they gambled and lost.

I think if you've bought a "253W" Intel CPU in the last half-decade, you've known what you're getting yourself into and hopefully you've either bought the 350W+ motherboard and ridiculous cooler needed to accommodate it, or you've gone into your BIOS and enforced your own, strict limits on how much trouble your "253W" processor can actually get itself into by locking PL1 and PL2 to reasonable values for your cooling and preferred noise levels.
I always thought it amusing how when AMD released the 220W TDP 9590 everyone (somewhat fairly) laughed at it. It had a massive TDP and still didn't really push the performance envelope, but Intel release 253W CPUs and it's all fine and dandy... I'm guessing because it did actually top a few benchmarks so it got a reprieve... but really it should have been laughed at in the same vein.
TechPowerUp have done some power limited benchmarking which to Intel's credit does show that behind the process gap there is some good IPC capability, but as a product I'm amazed so many people have bought these K/KS SKUs...
I feel bad for those who have more normal CPUs... especially those with T series chips which are meant to be lower power... they should really be nowhere near an 'excess voltage' problem.

Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
I always thought it amusing how when AMD released the 220W TDP 9590 everyone (somewhat fairly) laughed at it. It had a massive TDP and still didn't really push the performance envelope, but Intel release 253W CPUs and it's all fine and dandy... I'm guessing because it did actually top a few benchmarks so it got a reprieve... but really it should have been laughed at in the same vein.
TechPowerUp have done some power limited benchmarking which to Intel's credit does show that behind the process gap there is some good IPC capability, but as a product I'm amazed so many people have bought these K/KS SKUs...
I feel bad for those who have more normal CPUs... especially those with T series chips which are meant to be lower power... they should really be nowhere near an 'excess voltage' problem.
Exactly. I remember 125W being the sweet spot the last time it was tested at a full range of power limits.

IIRC 12th gen at 125W power limit wasn't far off the performance of an 88W Zen3 competitor at the time, and considering it was the class-leading TSMC 7FF vs Intel's shaky 10nm "7" process, that's actually a pretty decent result, IMO.

It all went wrong when Intel decided that 350W 400W+ was an acceptable power draw for a consumer CPU.

Edit - apparently I'm out of touch. The 14900KS pulls 410W from the socket. Holy ****, batman - suddenly the 7800X3D's winning performance at around 80W makes this overclocked-to-death fiasco by Intel even sillier!

Last edited:
Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
Edit - apparently I'm out of touch. The 14900KS pulls 410W from the socket. Holy ***balls, batman - suddenly the 7800X3D being a faster gaming chip whilst actually only pulling around 70-80W from the socket makes this whole "overclocked to death" fiasco look even more stupid than I already thought it was. DAMN Intel, you dun goofed!

Not to mention - the FPS increase from 5.5ghz to 6.2ghz is like 3FPS - it's in the low single digits. That last extra 200W does basically nothing for gaming.

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
Ignored mod warning
The most stupid thing about all of this is that, actually, the 13th and 14th gen Intel CPUs are good chips with decent power consumption. Dial them down to sane voltages so that they don't boost out the wazoo, and all of a sudden they become quite comparable to their previous-generation counterparts' power consumption.

The problem is that Intel was afraid of getting spanked by AMD on performance, so they let their marketing/sales department overrule their engineers and sold chips that were overclocked to hell and gone. And that makes them look better in benchmarks, but in the long run it causes stupid, expensive, trust-destroying shit like this to happen.

And then AMD went and did the exact same goddamn thing with Zen 4 and it pisses me off so much. Obviously Intel is at fault here because if they hadn't done it AMD wouldn't have, but it pisses me off because two wrongs don't make a right, they just compound stupidity. And the last thing AMD should be doing to succeed, is copying their competitor's most stupid of ideas.

Basically, I hate marketing/sales people, but more than that I hate the dysfunctional "management" at Intel that allowed this to happen at all. They should all be fired into the Sun.

System Name KLM
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard B-650E-E Strix
Cooling Arctic Cooling III 280
Memory 16x2 Fury Renegade 6000-32
Video Card(s) 4070-ti PNY
Storage 512+512+1+2+2+2+2+6+500+256+4+4+4
Display(s) VA 32" 4K@60 - OLED 27" 2K@240
Case 4000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Edifier 1280Ts
Power Supply Shift 1000
Mouse 502 Hero
Keyboard K68
Software EMDB
Benchmark Scores 0>1000
About the watts, before the big high actual Intel powerdraws, vacuum cleaner couldn't be compared to a CPU efficiency, now it can.

Last edited by a moderator:
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Not to mention - the FPS increase from 5.5ghz to 6.2ghz is like 3FPS - it's in the low single digits. That last extra 200W does basically nothing for gaming.
Yeah, this is an example from W1zzard's 12th gen power scaling article, but it's basically the same thing with the same architecture out of the same foundry:

1721753270530.png

125W is only 0.8% slower than 241W, which means that even 125W is at or already beyond the point of diminishing returns; There's basically nothing left on the table after that except excessive heat and noise but Intel decided 410W was the answer and here we are today in this embarrassing mess for Intel... :\

System Name KLM
Processor 7800X3D
Case 4000D Airflow
Power Supply Shift 1000
Mouse 502 Hero
Keyboard K68
Software EMDB
Benchmark Scores 0>1000
They totally invested in powerplants selling power juice or it's even more nonsesnse.

Yeah, this is an example from W1zzard's 12th gen power scaling article, but it's basically the same thing with the same architecture out of the same foundry:

View attachment 356106

125W is only 0.8% slower than 241W, which means that even 125W is at or already beyond the point of diminishing returns; There's basically nothing left on the table after that except excessive heat and noise but Intel decided 410W was the answer and here we are today in this embarrassing mess for Intel... :\
Exactly this ^^

Hence my previous comment:

If it wasn't for the E-cores being present for example, the I5-12600K would have offered little over the plain 12600 or even the 12400.... and this same irony has persisted into Raptor Lake - the 'efficiency' E cores only present on higher TDP wasteful SKUs to eek out some cinebench wins....

View attachment 356106

That chart shows gaming performance at various power limits. The CPU isn't drawing that amount of power. What the chart tells you is that gaming on that cpu, on average, doesn't use much more than 125W, no matter the power budget given to the CPU.

Multi-core productivity is a different story.

And then AMD went and did the exact same goddamn thing with Zen 4 and it pisses me off so much. Obviously Intel is at fault here because if they hadn't done it AMD wouldn't have, but it pisses me off because two wrongs don't make a right, they just compound stupidity. And the last thing AMD should be doing to succeed, is copying their competitor's most stupid of ideas.

Basically, I hate marketing/sales people, but more than that I hate the dysfunctional "management" at Intel that allowed this to happen at all. They should all be fired into the Sun.
Not just Zen4... to be honest the 5800X didn't really offer a lot over the 5800 (less than 2% difference in single-threaded performance, and nearly 8% in multi-threaded) but with a 60% higher TDP... and the same was true further down the product stack.

If shopping at the low-end, people buying a Ryzen 7600X instead of a 7600 (and keeping the change for maybe a bit more RAM, bigger SSD, better GPU, or just plain old beer money) confuses me especially if they plan to upgrade....

The last few Intel generations in the latter stages of Skylake / Coffee Lake showed the K CPUs starting to offer a lot less value and diminishing returns in terms of how much you can push the envelope.... those Sandy Bridge days are looooong gone.
With Alder Lake/Raptor Lake, buying the K/KS parts really just meant buying a CPU with a higher turbo boost clock and power limit, but on a process which meant thermal limits would effectively neuter a lot of that clock speed potential. Sure, you 'can' overclock them but they are so close to the red-line that it's not as practical as it used to be.

Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PRO (WiFi 6)
Cooling Noctua NH-C14S (two fans)
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) Reference Vega 64
Storage Intel 665p 1TB, WD Black SN850X 2TB, Crucial MX300 1TB SATA, Samsung 830 256 GB SATA
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG27, and Samsung S23A700
Case Fractal Design R5
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME TITANIUM 850W
Mouse Logitech
VR HMD Oculus Rift
Software Windows 11 Pro, and Ubuntu 20.04
Ignored mod warning

View attachment 356106

They also wanted the multithreaded performance crown and there, the lower power limit hurts competitiveness versus AMD. Thanks to more E cores, the 14900K improves upon the 12900k at lower power limits, but would still be marginally behind its competitors at comparable power draws.

1721754443689.png

System Name Game Rig 1
Processor i7 3770
Motherboard Alienware X51 Stock 2012 R1
Cooling Alienware X51 Stock 2012 R1
Memory Alienware X51 Stock 2012 R1
Video Card(s) 1st GTX660 2N 1050TI Now 1660 Zotac
Storage 1 TB Samsung SSD Sata 1 TB Alienware stock non SSD
Display(s) ASUS PB287Q
Case Alienware X51 Stock 2012 R1
Power Supply Alienware X51 Stock external psu
Mouse Razer Abyssus
Keyboard Cherry KC 6000 Slim
Software Micro 11 Home
Not just Zen4... to be honest the 5800X didn't really offer a lot over the 5800 (less than 2% difference in single-threaded performance, and nearly 8% in multi-threaded) but with a 60% higher TDP... and the same was true further down the product stack.

If shopping at the low-end, people buying a Ryzen 7600X instead of a 7600 (and keeping the change for maybe a bit more RAM, bigger SSD, better GPU, or just plain old beer money) confuses me especially if they plan to upgrade....

The last few Intel generations in the latter stages of Skylake / Coffee Lake showed the K CPUs starting to offer a lot less value and diminishing returns in terms of how much you can push the envelope.... those Sandy Bridge days are looooong gone.

when talking about those am5 chipsets i saw the new pricing of the 96, 97 an so on, kind of high to my taste, bad timing intel has socket 1700 issues as platform swap into new am5 is kind of not so cheap price, swap with 7600 or x is in terms of pricing okayish.. if you dont mind the high idle power consumption which i did

when talking about those am5 chipsets i saw the new pricing of the 96, 97 an so on, kind of high to my taste, bad timing intel has socket 1700 issues as platform swap into new am5 is kind of not so cheap price, swap with 7600 or x is in terms of pricing okayish.. if you dont mind the high idle power consumption which i did
At this point in time I'd take the 10W higher idle than the 2-3 times higher high load power usage....
It probably isn't even that measurable at the power socket due to the increasing efficiency of PSUs as power load ramps up... even 80plus platinum PSUs are not very good under 10% of their power rating in most cases.

System Name KLM
Processor 7800X3D
Case 4000D Airflow
Power Supply Shift 1000
Mouse 502 Hero
Keyboard K68
Software EMDB
Benchmark Scores 0>1000
Intel doesn't looks like interested in x3d equivalent.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard MSI MPG Z790I Edge WiFi Gaming
Cooling be quiet! Pure Loop 240mm
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 (G95SC)
Case LANCOOL 205M MESH Snow
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on schitt Modi+ & Valhalla 2
Power Supply ASUS ROG Loki SFX-L 1000W
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software openSUSE Tumbleweed
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
A few more notches. You can complain about Intel all you want but AMD has nothing to do with this.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Nvidia Bumpgate ~2008. Permanently ruined their relationship with Apple. Nvidia blamed TSMC for it.
Detonator drivers causing gpus to go boom

System Name Gamey #1 / #2
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Core i7-9700F
Motherboard Asrock B450M P4 / Asrock B360M P4
Cooling IDCool SE-226-XT / CM Hyper 212
Memory 32GB 3200 CL16 / 32GB 2666 CL14
Video Card(s) PC 6800 XT / Soyo RTX 2060 Super
Storage 4TB Team MP34 / 512G Tosh RD400+2TB WD3Dblu
Display(s) LG 32GK650F 1440p 144Hz VA
Case Corsair 4000Air / CM N200
Audio Device(s) Dragonfly Black
Power Supply EVGA 650 G3 / Corsair CX550M
Mouse JSCO JNL-101k Noiseless
Keyboard Steelseries Apex 3 TKL
Software Win 10, Throttlestop
At this point in time I'd take the 10W higher idle than the 2-3 times higher high load power usage....
It probably isn't even that measurable at the power socket due to the increasing efficiency of PSUs as power load ramps up... even 80plus platinum PSUs are not very good under 10% of their power rating in most cases.

I think you can "have it all" if you're interested in managing your CPU a little more than the average user. I do this with my i7-9700F and run it at 4.2 GHz (plus UV) as it's more efficient there instead of the full all-core 4.5 GHz. Same will be true of an i7-14700. It already "only" goes to 5.4 GHz and you can further tune lower on clock speed and voltage to find your preferred efficiency point. Or get the 14700K for theoretically better binning for lower voltage at the same clock speed. I'd wait until this Raptor Lake debacle is fully addressed or really wait until next gen from both corps for any improved efficiencies though.

I appreciate my i7's low idle power usage when adjusted and I appreciate my R7 5700X3D's (and 5800X3D) low gaming power usage with no adjustments. That said, the idle difference is barely 10W as you mention and games really seem to like 8C8T as much as X3D as long as CPU usage stays under about 90%.

System Name CyberPowerPC ET8070
Processor Intel Core i5-10400F
Motherboard Gigabyte B460M DS3H AC-Y1
Memory 2 x Crucial Ballistix 8GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Super
Storage Boot: Intel OPTANE SSD P1600X Series 118GB M.2 PCIE
Display(s) Dell P2416D (2560 x 1440)
Power Supply EVGA 500W1
Software Windows 11 Home
System Name KLM
Processor 7800X3D
Case 4000D Airflow
Power Supply Shift 1000
Mouse 502 Hero
Keyboard K68
Software EMDB
Benchmark Scores 0>1000
Microcode is hardware, as far as I'm concerned.

Just because its software internal to the CPU doesn't change the fact that its largely unavailable to typical programmers. Its effectively part of the CPU.

-------

I've said it before: "Division" (and modulus) are both operations that are almost-always implemented as microcode rather than pure hardware. From the perspective of modern programmers, the "div" and "idiv" instructions are effectively a hardware implementation. Microcode does a lot in modern CPUs because of how hugely complex these modern processors are.

aytokpatop

Very high VID Voltages may be the cause....
In my case (14700KF) i'm suffering from OS file corruption fixed via sfc /scannow.

Last edited: