• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Will Not Recall Failing 13th and 14th Gen CPUs

freeagent

Staff member
Processor AMD R7 5800X3D
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Thermalright Frozen Edge 360, 3x TL-B12 V2, 2x TL-B12 V1
Memory 2x8 G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3200C14, 2x8GB G.Skill Trident Z Black and White 3200 C14
Video Card(s) Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC
Storage WD SN850 1TB, SN850X 2TB, SN770 1TB
Display(s) LG 50UP7100
Case Fractal Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) JBL Bar 700
Power Supply Seasonic Vertex GX-1000, Monster HDP1800
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Logitech G213
VR HMD Oculus 3
Software Yes
Benchmark Scores Yes
They must feel very positive about a microcode update.

Time will tell I suppose, but this doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies.

Swap them out on a case by case would save a few bucks I suppose, since that is what this about.

System Name "Icy Resurrection"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 APEX ENCORE
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S upgraded with 2x NF-F12 iPPC-3000 fans and Honeywell PTM7950 TIM
Memory 32 GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 7600 MT/s 36-44-44-52-96 1.4V
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 500 GB WD Black SN750 SE NVMe SSD + 4 TB WD Red Plus WD40EFPX HDD
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Pichau Mancer CV500 White Edition
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Microsoft Classic Intellimouse
Keyboard Galax Stealth STL-03
Software Windows 11 IoT Enterprise LTSC 24H2
Benchmark Scores I pulled a Qiqi~
Disastrous handling of the situation... Intel can and should do better. They don't have an universal, or hell, a lead at all over the competition. Best not to get complacent.

the thing i wonder with this intel case is that 13th cpus already release almost 2years ago isnt it ?
the news just blown out since few days ago, but before that not much people reporting problem with their 13th cpus ?

i believe there quite some people OCed their intel 13th cpus to this day, and those cpus still running fine ?
while what i am getting from the news is that cpu can get degraded fast within few month, if so normaly we should already getting many report/post from user way before now

considering intel give 3year warranty, people have those 13th cpus should have around 1+years warranty left

but intel respond is just bad, if they feel recall is to much, why not give extra warranty (like +2years), this should at least assure user for the cpus instead worrying about it, and thinking to ditch and replace asap

but it's clear that Intel isn't considering the issue as anything more than a regular support issue at this point in time.
That's a bold strategy Cotton....

OEM customers will send the whole PC back for service. Don't expect that is going over well.

As I have opined many times; They let the wrong people go during those mass layoffs. Chased others away by canceling merit raises, halving 401K contribution, etc. Chickens are coming home to roost. I don't see any way they don't take a major L on this. They haven't even given a South Park BP oil "We're sorry". Wrong people are heading this up in legal and marketing IMO.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/yfsd9w
the thing i wonder with this intel case is that 13th cpus already release almost 2years ago isnt it ?
the news just blown out since few days ago, but before that not much people reporting problem with their 13th cpus ?

i believe there quite some people OCed their intel 13th cpus to this day, and those cpus still running fine ?
while what i am getting from the news is that cpu can get degraded fast within few month, if so normaly we should already getting many report/post from user way before now

considering intel give 3year warranty, people have those 13th cpus should have around 1+years warranty left

but intel respond is just bad, if they feel recall is to much, why not give extra warranty (like +2years), this should at least assure user for the cpus instead worrying about it, and thinking to ditch and replace asap
The issue is causing stability issues, like say for example when you overclock your RAM just a little bit too far and your system crashes/BSODs once in a blue moon for no reason.
It's not that the CPUs are dead and no longer work in most instances, from my understanding. There appears to be a few ones that aren't even allowing the system to boot, but most are minor glitches, which people might've assumed was something else, as this kind of a thing has never happened before.

That's a bold strategy Cotton....

OEM customers will send the whole PC back for service. Don't expect that is going over well.

As I have opined many times; They let the wrong people go during those mass layoffs. Chased others away by canceling merit raises, halving 401K contribution, etc. Chickens are coming home to roost. I don't see any way they don't take a major L on this. They haven't even given a South Park BP oil "We're sorry". Wrong people are heading this up in legal and marketing IMO.
And the person currently issuing statements is a lowly Communications Manager that has been with the company for a little over three years... Guess who will get the boot if the wrong message is delivered? I wouldn't want to be in his shoes right now.

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Pro
Cooling Some cheap tower cooler, I dunno
Memory 32GB 1866-DDR3 ECC
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600XT
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Display(s) ASUS Pro Art 27"
Case Antec P7 Neo
This is really what I expected, TBH. A recall is an admission of guilt and they can’t bring themselves to that. Instead, they will patch away the problem and hope that it does go away. I suspect they’ll be pretty liberal with the customer service and not challenge claims much as a form of damage control.

The real question for me is if this microcode update will actually fix it long term. It’s pretty alarming that this fix is for anything over 65W—it’s like the whole dang lineup and covers more SKUs that we’ve originally been talking about. Now I’m really wondering if this patch might only be buying them more time so they can quietly axe Raptor Lake on a normal timetable, or at least help them fulfill warranty replacements. Raptor Lake was the last of its kind, out of necessity.

System Name BigRed
Processor I7 12700k
Motherboard Asus Rog Strix z690-A WiFi D4
Cooling Noctua D15S chromax black/MX6
Memory TEAM GROUP 32GB DDR4 4000C16 B die
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3080 Gaming Trio X 10GB
Storage M.2 drives WD SN850X 1TB 4x4 BOOT/WD SN850X 4TB 4x4 STEAM/USB3 4TB OTHER
Display(s) Dell s3422dwg 34" 3440x1440p 144hz ultrawide
Case Corsair 7000D
Audio Device(s) Yamaha YSP-800 DSP soundbar/Bowers and Wilkins P7 Headphones
Power Supply Corsair RM850x 80% gold
Mouse Logitech G604 wireless
Keyboard Logitech G413 carbon
Software Windows 10 Pro X64
Benchmark Scores Who cares
I don't care much, my own 12th gen CPU runs fine, no issues for me.
I'm still waiting for Arrow Lake, I'm sure they don't want to happen this again with their next gen CPU's.

Mine has, so glad i never went 13/14th.

Intel should totally do a recall on the high end/ones with problems, not really fair leaving them in the lurch is it.

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Case Antec P7 Neo

Intel should totally do a recall on the high end/ones with problems, not really fair leaving them in the lurch is it.
I think they’ll get warranty replacements. They also need to get the patch out ASAP so they don’t have even more damaged CPUs. Of course rushing such a patch could also spell disaster.

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) Temporary MSI RTX 4070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Temporary Viewsonic 4K 60 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10

I think it would cost a fortune. Most of those CPUs went into pre-builts which would mean Intel would have to compensate whoever does the work of replacing the chip on top of the cost of the replacement chip plus the shipping back and forth. That's probably what they are hoping to avoid but I agree the right thing to do is a recall.

If it came to a class action suit it would probably end up costing Intel less is my guess from what they are doing.

All the data I have seen shared says Alder Lake is rock solid and failure rates are industry norms. This is all about raptors. Meteor Lake not making it to enthusiast desktop was a real monkey wrench in the gears.
If it came to a class action suit it would probably end up costing Intel less is my guess from what they are doing.
It is unlikely to end there. I surmise governments will end up involved. The E.U. in particular is concern worthy.

Processor i7-4790K 4.6GHz @1.29v
Motherboard ASUS Maximus Hero VII Z97
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Memory G. Skill Trident X 2x8GB 2133MHz
Video Card(s) Asus Tuf RTX 3060 V1 FHR (Newegg Shuffle)
Storage OS 120GB Kingston V300, Samsung 850 Pro 512GB , 3TB Hitachi HDD, 2x5TB Toshiba X300, 500GB M.2 @ x2
Display(s) Lenovo y27g 1080p 144Hz
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) AKG Q701's w/ O2+ODAC (Sounds a little bright)
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 850w
Mouse Glorious Model D
Keyboard Rosewill Full Size. Red Switches. Blue Leds. RK-9100xBRE - Hate this. way to big
Software Win10
Benchmark Scores 3DMark FireStrike Score : needs updating
Considering both gens are still under warranty, why the call for class action? If your chip dies just warranty it. Or if you're really THAT worried it'll die after warranty then bump the clocks down 200MHz, I highly doubt anyone would notice any significant change.

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
Considering both gens are still under warranty, why the call for class action? If your chip dies just warranty it. Or if you're really THAT worried it'll die after warranty then bump the clocks down 200MHz, I highly doubt anyone would notice any significant change.
If it's a product that has a design flaw it should be recalled by the manufacturer, warranty has nothing to do with it.

System Name -
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI MEG X570
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 (4x140 push-pull)
Memory 32GB Patriot Steel DDR4 3733 (8GBx4)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4080 X-trio.
Storage Sabrent Rocket-Plus-G 2TB, Crucial P1 1TB, WD 1TB sata.
Display(s) LG Ultragear 34G750 nano-IPS 34" utrawide
Case Define R6
Audio Device(s) Xfi PCIe
Power Supply Fractal Design ION Gold 750W
Mouse Razer DeathAdder V2 Mini.
Keyboard Logitech K120
VR HMD Er no, pointless.
Software Windows 10 22H2
Benchmark Scores Timespy - 24522 | Crystalmark - 7100/6900 Seq. & 84/266 QD1 |
Intel is asking for a class action lawsuit imo. You don't win those even when you win because of the legal expenses involved and frankly I think they would settle before that anyway. I guess they figure it will be a lot cheaper going that route than a recall.
This.

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
Memory 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Trio
Storage Too much
Display(s) Acer Predator XB3 27" 240 Hz
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Topping DX5, DCA Aeon II
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
Mate, this is (one of) the clearest cases for a hidden defect lawsuit that I've ever seen. Will Intel really go the f*** you all route?

Surely they are aware of this. I have to wonder if keeping this on the down low from investors and the general public as much as possible is a play to protect their brand reputation and stock price as much as possible. After all, so long as they don't admit fault and pay off whatever lawsuit comes their way they will never have to broadcast they had a massive issue / issues. The thing is, the vast majority of people are not going to blame the CPU either. They are going to blame windows, the laptop manufacturer, ect. By Intel keeping quiet they in effect let others take the blame. Given Intel's market significance it could actually have a significant impact on the way customers view windows machines as well. It's bad for Microsoft and Desktop PC manufacturers too because that hit to PC stability gets to their bottom line. With how bad this response is, it's not good for the entire ecosystem.

I suppose there's also the bonus of all those CPUs essentially being ticking time bombs as well so it does guarantee a large number of people will need to upgrade in short order. Even if your CPU is stable now, if you shaved 8 years off it's life that's a small bonus to Intel.

The only way this turns out bad for Intel is if enough people educate the public about it to the point where people are assigning blame to Intel and not other parties.

Intel claims that laptop CPUs aren't affected...

A portion of Intel's laptop chips are straight up power limited desktop parts. Alderon games confirmed that these parts are impacted although at a lower rate similar to SKUs lower than the 13900 / 14900K.

Are Intel claims to be trusted?

Intel claimed that the voltage issue doesn't impact their laptop parts, which is partially true if you ignore the desktop variants they put in laptops with lower power caps. That said Intel did say their laptop parts do have an issue but they blamed that on other things. Hard to say what they meant by that in their press releases other then perhaps they are blaming others again.

Fast degradation is only observed with heavy use like in servers. Most customers didn't start to see degradation until 9 months plus. This is why it's hard for any customer to know how much their CPU has been degraded, it depends on how much it's been used in what scenarios and under what settings. A recall would be the only true cure, otherwise a lot of people are going to be left out to try. Heck even a public notice to everyone potentially impacted that made a purchase would be a huge step. We are getting neither.

Also, it's hard to say customers weren't having issue before. Not everyone is going to make it public that they RMA'd their CPU. Just like the whole ASUS RMA debacle, a lot of people didn't come out with their Intel RMA experiences until after the news broke. Then we learned people have been through multiple CPU RMA's already.

I think they’ll get warranty replacements. They also need to get the patch out ASAP so they don’t have even more damaged CPUs. Of course rushing such a patch could also spell disaster.

That's not guaranteed. Degradation might not show for them until after warranty and Intel never notified all of it's customers of the issue. Most customers are uninformed and the CPU is one of the last things people blame to begin with. The standard warranty for OEM laptops and desktops is a mere 1 year.

The real question for me is if this microcode update will actually fix it long term. It’s pretty alarming that this fix is for anything over 65W—it’s like the whole dang lineup and covers more SKUs that we’ve originally been talking about. Now I’m really wondering if this patch might only be buying them more time so they can quietly axe Raptor Lake on a normal timetable, or at least help them fulfill warranty replacements. Raptor Lake was the last of its kind, out of necessity.

If what Intel told us is true it should but you'd have to take Intel at it's word.

The real problem though is that it's impossible to fix CPUs already degraded by this issue and symptoms might now show within the warranty period at all. Even if they do, few people have the diagnostic skills to narrow the issue down to the CPU.

Single users RMAing is not a remedy to a product level flaw that has caused permanent damage.

Mind you only retail CPU sales comes with a 3 year warranty. OEM systems are a different matter where standard warranty is only 1 year (in the US at least, people in EU have better remedies)

If Intel wanted to make the issue right without doing a full recall it could release a diagnostic tool just for testing for degradation where any significant amount would qualify you for an RMA. Intel knows the standards to which it releases it's CPUs so it should know how much headroom minimum their CPUs should have and any notable reduction in that should be cause for RMA.

Simply waiting for a CPU to start exhibiting crashing is not a fix, it's condemning a lot of uninformed customers to computer issues. It's not their fault in this instance that they are uninformed either when Intel has not and does not appear in the least likely to inform all potentially impacted customers. That's one of the benefits of a recall, everyone who is effected gets a notice.

If it's a product that has a design flaw it should be recalled by the manufacturer, warranty has nothing to do with it.

Particularly a flaw that has caused permanent damage to said product.

Last edited:
System Name My 2nd new build
Processor Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard X670E MSI Tomahawk WiFi
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 ARGB
Memory G-Skill Trident Z Neo RGB 6000 CL30 32GB
Video Card(s) Powercolor 7900 GRE Red Devil
Storage Samsung 870 QVO 1TB x 2, Lexar 256 GB, TeamGroup MP44L 2TB, Crucial T700 1TB
Display(s) 32" LG GN600-B
Case Montech 903 MAX AIR
Audio Device(s) Corsair void wireless/Razer Kraken
Power Supply MSI MPG AGF 850 watt gold
Mouse Glorious Model D l Pad GameSir G7 SE
Keyboard Redragon Vara K551P
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores Lets get my GPU working first...
Intel were up shit creek and they chucked away the paddle and life-vest.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/yfsd9w
This issue has nothing to do with clock speeds or even any user controllable Voltages. Intel messed up somewhere and some parts of the CPU is getting zapped so it does due to too high internal Voltages.

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Case Antec P7 Neo
By the time there is a class action suit that gets settled, Intel will probably be selling something 3-4 generations later than Raptor Lake. We will reflect on it for a moment, but it will largely be forgotten or poorly remembered, provided what they are selling by that time is a quality product. I think they know they’ll take some shots, but even a class action suit is preferred over recalling nearly 2 whole generations of CPUs. Also consider that if this patch measurably reduces performance, then there is yet another place where a class action lawsuit can take place.

To put class action timelines in perspective, consider Apple got nailed for the battery performance throttling issue on the 6S, and by the time checks went out, they were selling the iPhone 14. It becomes a distant memory really quickly.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X ||| Intel Core i7-3930K
Motherboard ASUS ProArt B550-CREATOR ||| Asus P9X79 WS
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S ||| Be Quiet Pure Rock
Memory Crucial 2 x 16 GB 3200 MHz ||| Corsair 8 x 8 GB 1333 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 3GB ||| MSI GTX 680 4GB
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB + 1 TB ||| Intel 545s 512 GB + 256 GB
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" ||| Eizo EV2416W 24"
Case Fractal Design Define 7 XL x 2
Audio Device(s) Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 x 2
Mouse Razer Abyssus
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire XT
Software Ubuntu
In the midst of the outcry against Intel, what are the specific facts that Intel are supposedly denying? And what specifically would a recall of all affected models actually achieve?

What we've seen so far indicates that a certain portion of such CPUs are unstable due to wear, predominantly 13900K/14900K models, but 13600/14600 and 13700/14700 and non-K models also affected. Recalling all of these and waiting for replacements would take and unreasonable amount of time vs. replacing actually worn out products as they show sympthoms, otherwise customers actually suffering with unstable/defective products will have to wait far longer for a replacement. (Not to mention Intel is now probably already flooded with returns of products that are either fully working or have been overclocked thanks to the news.) Demanding a recall like some have suggested is pretty much unheard of when electronics products are wearing out quicker than expected, so it's very unlikely that a lawsuit is going to achieve anything in that regard. In other industries, e.g. the car industry, the normal practise is to offer replacements for prematurely worn out products and potentially extended warranties.

So that would be my suggestion for Intel; extend the warranty to e.g. 5 years, replace any part prematurely worn out due to their fault, and potentially under some conditions offer refunds or replacement with a successor, Arrow Lake (which would alleviate some of the pressure on new i9s). This would be far more than most companies would offer in similar situations, and I don't think there is a legal president to demand more either.

System Name 3 desktop systems: Gaming / Internet / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5 5500 / Ryzen 5 4600G / FX 6300 (12 years latter got to see how bad Bulldozer is)
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (1) / MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (2) / Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
Cooling Νoctua U12S / Segotep T4 / Snowman M-T6
Memory 16GB G.Skill RIPJAWS 3600 / 16GB G.Skill Aegis 3200 / 16GB Kingston 2400MHz (DDR3)
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 6600 + GT 710 (PhysX)/ Vega 7 integrated / Radeon RX 580
Storage NVMes, ONLY NVMes/ NVMes, SATA Storage / NVMe boot(Clover), SATA storage
Display(s) Philips 43PUS8857/12 UHD TV (120Hz, HDR, FreeSync Premium) ---- 19'' HP monitor + BlitzWolf BW-V5
Case Sharkoon Rebel 12 / CoolerMaster Elite 361 / Xigmatek Midguard
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Chieftec 850W / Silver Power 400W / Sharkoon 650W
Mouse CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / CoolerMaster Devastator / Logitech
Keyboard CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / CoolerMaster Devastator / Logitech
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10&Windows 11 / Windows 10
i can see AMD sales going up a whole load, all those with defective CPU's will most likely jump ship now, can't blame them really can you.
One disaster wouldn't change the preference of many people. They will probably sell 13900Ks/14900Ks in second hand market, or get new from RMAs and sell them as "new, sealed", while buying and using a mid range i5 until the next Intel platforms come out. Then they will go and buy the new Intel platform.
Once in a while a company can make a huge mistake, that wouldn't change much. Intel will have to mess up with the next series of CPUs also to make people start losing their trust on them.

freeagent

Staff member
Processor AMD R7 5800X3D
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Thermalright Frozen Edge 360, 3x TL-B12 V2, 2x TL-B12 V1
Memory 2x8 G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3200C14, 2x8GB G.Skill Trident Z Black and White 3200 C14
Video Card(s) Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC
Storage WD SN850 1TB, SN850X 2TB, SN770 1TB
Display(s) LG 50UP7100
Case Fractal Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) JBL Bar 700
Power Supply Seasonic Vertex GX-1000, Monster HDP1800
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Logitech G213
VR HMD Oculus 3
Software Yes
Benchmark Scores Yes
At least they are no stranger to these types of updates. I took one on my 3770K that bumped VID, lost GFlops, and lost 100MHz off the top of my OC.

Don't worry guys, they got this :rockout:

System Name Dirt Sheep | Silent Sheep
Processor i5-2400 | 13900K (-0.025mV offset)
Motherboard Asus P8H67-M LE | Gigabyte AERO Z690-G, bios F26 with "Instant 6 GHz" on
Cooling Scythe Katana Type 1 | Noctua NH-U12A chromax.black
Memory G-skill 2*8GB DDR3 | Corsair Vengeance 4*32GB DDR5 5200Mhz C40 @4000MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 970GTX Mini | NV 1080TI FE (cap at 85%, 800mV)
Storage 2*SN850 1TB, 230S 4TB, 840EVO 128GB, WD green 2TB HDD, IronWolf 6TB, 2*HC550 18TB in RAID1
Display(s) LG 21` FHD W2261VP | Lenovo 27` 4K Qreator 27
Case Thermaltake V3 Black|Define 7 Solid, stock 3*14 fans+ 2*12 front&buttom+ out 1*8 (on expansion slot)
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT 990 (or the screen speakers when I'm too lazy)
Power Supply Enermax Pro82+ 525W | Corsair RM650x (2021)
Mouse Logitech Master 3
Keyboard Roccat Isku FX
VR HMD Nop.
Software WIN 10 | WIN 11
Benchmark Scores CB23 SC: i5-2400=641 | i9-13900k=2325-2281 MC: i5-2400=i9 13900k SC | i9-13900k=37240-35500
As an early 13900k adopter, I feel that my top-of-the-line flagship, ever banding, charmingly oxidting, obesly whattag eating, over thermally throttled CPU is just keep on giving.

Ooo Intel, your the best!

Low quality post by Paganstomp
System Name The Final Straw
Processor Intel i7-7700
Motherboard Asus Prime H270M Plus
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120
Memory G.Skill 32GB DDR4 2400 - F4-2400C15D
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1660 Super SC Ultra 6GB GDDR6
Storage WD Blue SN550 512GB and 1TB M.2 + Seagate 2TB 7200 SATA
Display(s) Acer VG270U P 2k
Case Thermaltake Versa H17
Audio Device(s) HDMI
Power Supply EVGA 750 white
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard Logitech
VR HMD Why?
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3DMark06 = 33,624 / Fire Strike = 12,690 / Time Spy = 5,465 as of 7/16/2024
Screenshot 2024-07-26 171746.png

Nuff said...

Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar b650m wifi
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengeance 30CL6000
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Lexar NM790 4TB + Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial BX100 250GB
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Lian Li A3 mATX White
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W11 IoT Enterprise LTSC
This is why we can't have nice things!
Sure you can, just keep applying due diligence and common sense. Intel's ever increasing peak power shenanigans were a big fat multi-gen writing on the wall. Not saying people should have known better but frankly where there's smoke and many generations of trickery around way overpowered cores... there's bound to be an eventual fire.

We are seeing a lot of this lately imho. Hot chips, limits being stretched and shitty power connector updates are all more of the same to me. They are frantic attempts to escape the reality shit wont keep scaling as it used to. Efficiency out of the box is key. Its the whole reason Nvidia won the GPU war so far and AMD now wins the CPU war.

Disastrous handling of the situation... Intel can and should do better. They don't have an universal, or hell, a lead at all over the competition. Best not to get complacent.
Why not they are happily raking in US taxpayer money for free. Pat G smells like old socks. Nothing good about his leadership honestly so far. He wears one crown; that of the most well-paid beggar on the globe.

One disaster wouldn't change the preference of many people. They will probably sell 13900Ks/14900Ks in second hand market, or get new from RMAs and sell them as "new, sealed", while buying and using a mid range i5 until the next Intel platforms come out. Then they will go and buy the new Intel platform.
Once in a while a company can make a huge mistake, that wouldn't change much. Intel will have to mess up with the next series of CPUs also to make people start losing their trust on them.
That would be true in the quad core era, but there are excellent competitor chips now.

In the midst of the outcry against Intel, what are the specific facts that Intel are supposedly denying? And what specifically would a recall of all affected models actually achieve?

What we've seen so far indicates that a certain portion of such CPUs are unstable due to wear, predominantly 13900K/14900K models, but 13600/14600 and 13700/14700 and non-K models also affected. Recalling all of these and waiting for replacements would take and unreasonable amount of time vs. replacing actually worn out products as they show sympthoms, otherwise customers actually suffering with unstable/defective products will have to wait far longer for a replacement. (Not to mention Intel is now probably already flooded with returns of products that are either fully working or have been overclocked thanks to the news.) Demanding a recall like some have suggested is pretty much unheard of when electronics products are wearing out quicker than expected, so it's very unlikely that a lawsuit is going to achieve anything in that regard. In other industries, e.g. the car industry, the normal practise is to offer replacements for prematurely worn out products and potentially extended warranties.

So that would be my suggestion for Intel; extend the warranty to e.g. 5 years, replace any part prematurely worn out due to their fault, and potentially under some conditions offer refunds or replacement with a successor, Arrow Lake (which would alleviate some of the pressure on new i9s). This would be far more than most companies would offer in similar situations, and I don't think there is a legal president to demand more either.
Good point honestly. Its just not helped by the tone of voice they put out so far. 'Here's a patch, deal with it' on halo product isnt the way to treat customers. If they had indeed used your argumentation backed by leniency things would look radically different.

Last edited: