• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need help troubleshooting a 6700 XT with very strange behavior

System Name Locutus TT P90 open air case
Processor Intel I7 12700K
Motherboard Asus Z690 WIFI D4
Cooling NZXT 280 mm AIO
Memory 32 Gig Corsair Vengeance 3600 DDR4
Video Card(s) Zotac 3080 Holo LHR
Storage 3 various branded SSDs and 6 TB Seagate HD
Display(s) LG 32'' g-sync 144 Hz VA IPS
Case P90 open air case
Power Supply EVGA G2 1 KW
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Corsair Strafe
Software Win 11 Pro
What if any windows Event viewer log error?
Had similar issue, I did every swap of HW possible and software uninstalls it came down to the Cablemod custom PCI-E 6 pin cable breaking contact upon thermal expansion, when I used the supplied EVGA cable it solved the random boot and shutdown issues. Find another cable and try it. I do custom PC builds for a living. The reboots and issues were totally random even occurred when making a new boot SSD or when gaming. See my pic the white cables to the GPU were the issue.

Mine would as crash in BIOS or idle desktop, I figured it out after seeing a customer touch his six pin PCI cable and it caused his build to reboot also. Cable mod are nice aesthetically but are flimsy in their lightweight design. The ATX pins wobble inside the Cablemod male connector resulting in a broken connection which will cause the GPU to lose power and reboot the PC. Have not had a 41 error or power reboot error in 2 yrs since replacing .

System Name Sim Racing PC/Dell XPS 15 7590
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800x/Intel Core i7-9750h
Motherboard ASUS TUF B450-Plus II/Dell Laptop MB
Cooling Arctic Freezer A35 CO/laptop cooling
Memory 2*8 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200/2*8GB something-or-other
Video Card(s) XFX SWFT309 RX 6700 XT/Laptop GTX 1650
Storage 1 TB Crucial 3400 PCIe Gen 4 SSD/Ediloca EN605 512 GB PCIe Gen 3 SSD
Display(s) 77" LG OLED TV (4K@120Hz)/15" Dell integrated panel (1080p@60Hz) and 27" Acer KB272 (1080p@75Hz)
Case Cougar MX330-G Air / XPS 7590 chassis
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro via Yamaha HT receiver/Integrated speakers or Creative Pebble Plus
Power Supply EVGA 600 BA / Dell 130W laptop brick
Mouse Logitech K400+ / Cherry MW 4500
Keyboard Logitech K400+ / Drop ENTR or E-YOOSO Z-686 or integrated keyboard
VR HMD Meta Quest 2
Software Windows 11 Home/Windows 11 Pro (meaning to try Linux)
I would go even further. Sometimes games manage to stress a system in a way that stress tests and benchmarks won't.
I remember people having benchstable, prime95 stable, furmark stable systems, but some games still crash.
And who else remembers New World destroying cards.

If you still want to troubleshoot the card, and you already changed other parts and already tested another GPU, and it runs fine then, I would look at underclocking it.
Sometimes parts just aren't stable how they are shipped, that can happen, and we can RMA them for that. Especially factory-oc'ed cards can run into that.
If you lower the clocks (GPU and memory independently) and it is stable, at least you know there is something wrong with the card.

jak_2456
Welcome to the forum!
jak_2456, using logic isn't enough to understand things in any field. You actually have to be in the know to fully understand. Many techpowerup members are pretty good when it comes to tech and usually the ones who knows posts to help others. You posted the topic to get help but unfortunately you seem stubborn about what you think is right. If you keep this attitude, you will be - and the others with you- running in circles.
Sorry about that. I will try to take people's advice more here.

What if any windows Event viewer log error?
Had similar issue, I did every swap of HW possible and software uninstalls it came down to the Cablemod custom PCI-E 6 pin cable breaking contact upon thermal expansion, when I used the supplied EVGA cable it solved the random boot and shutdown issues. Find another cable and try it. I do custom PC builds for a living. The reboots and issues were totally random even occurred when making a new boot SSD or when gaming. See my pic the white cables to the GPU were the issue.

Mine would as crash in BIOS or idle desktop, I figured it out after seeing a customer touch his six pin PCI cable and it caused his build to reboot also. Cable mod are nice aesthetically but are flimsy in their lightweight design. The ATX pins wobble inside the Cablemod male connector resulting in a broken connection which will cause the GPU to lose power and reboot the PC. Have not had a 41 error or power reboot error in 2 yrs since replacing .
What would you like me to check there? I haven't used Event viewer that much.

I would go even further. Sometimes games manage to stress a system in a way that stress tests and benchmarks won't.
I remember people having benchstable, prime95 stable, furmark stable systems, but some games still crash.
And who else remembers New World destroying cards.

If you still want to troubleshoot the card, and you already changed other parts and already tested another GPU, and it runs fine then, I would look at underclocking it.
Sometimes parts just aren't stable how they are shipped, that can happen, and we can RMA them for that. Especially factory-oc'ed cards can run into that.
If you lower the clocks (GPU and memory independently) and it is stable, at least you know there is something wrong with the card.
I will try underclocking my card and I will see if that fixes it.
Update: Limiting the clock speeds to 85% of stock seems to fix the problem. I highly suspect that the GPU is the culprit, however I'm also seeing way lower power draw (130 W instead of the typical 180 W).

Last edited:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
jak_2456
Welcome to the forum!
jak_2456, using logic isn't enough to understand things in any field. You actually have to be in the know to fully understand. Many techpowerup members are pretty good when it comes to tech and usually the ones who knows posts to help others. You posted the topic to get help but unfortunately you seem stubborn about what you think is right. If you keep this attitude, you will be - and the others with you- running in circles.
25+ years experience here. When they don't listen to reason, beat around the bush and not do what is suggested, after they came here for help, they are on their own.

Display(s) 77" LG OLED TV (4K@120Hz)/15" Dell integrated panel (1080p@60Hz) and 27" Acer KB272 (1080p@75Hz)
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro via Yamaha HT receiver/Integrated speakers or Creative Pebble Plus
VR HMD Meta Quest 2
25+ years experience here. When they don't listen to reason, beat around the bush and not do what is suggested, after they came here for help, they are on their own.
Sorry for my stubborn behavior. I have just underclocked my gpu to 85% stock on the core and it seems fine now. I think it's likely a GPU problem, but I'd like you to weigh in.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Sorry for my stubborn behavior. I have just underclocked my gpu to 85% stock on the core and it seems fine now. I think it's likely a GPU problem, but I'd like you to weigh in.
You underpowered the card which will make an underpowered/ faulty psu happy because then you are not putting as much demand on it. I still suggest a larger power supply of 750W that is a reputable unit, just borrow it, even if it means a shop, run the card at standard rating, not underpowered, if the problem stops, it's your psu not being able to meet the demands, if problem continues, rma your card. You may consider moving up to a reputable 650W as well. Welcome to the world of electronics which have all kinds of failure modes. You are trying to fault isolate between the 2 components-psu and gpu.

Last edited:
VR HMD Meta Quest 2
You underpowered the card which will make an underpowered/ faulty psu happy because then you are not putting as much demand on it. I still suggest a larger power supply of 750W that is a reputable unit, just borrow it, even if it means a shop, run the card at standard rating, not underpowered, if the problem stops, it's your psu not being able to meed the demands, if problem continues, rma your card. You may consider moving up to a reputable 650W as well.
Got it. I will return back here when I am able to borrow a better PSU. If I am not able to borrow a better PSU but instead a GPU that draws the an equal or greater amount of power as my 6700 XT, would you rule out the PSU if that works fine?

Last edited:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
At that rate I'd suggest another 6700xt or 6750XT. If that were to fail as well, then you know the psu isnt up to snuff.

@P4-630 did provide a minimum spec earlier and it might be good to abide by that. And a Shop would be able to tell you otherwise. Also another thing to consider is your power grid, the powerstrip you have it plugged into, sometimes circuits in the home can cause weird problems

Last edited:
VR HMD Meta Quest 2
At that rate I'd suggest another 6700xt or 6750XT. If that were to fail as well, then you know the psu isnt up to snuff.
My friend has a 1080 Ti that draws about 230 W (it is run with a lower power limit because it overheats otherwise, has one of those crappy MSI Armor coolers) and works fine. I think that would work but it's your call.

EDIT: For some weird reason the issue seems to have fixed itself. BeamNG.drive ran fine for 73 minutes and EA Sports WRC ran fine too. Maybe practically rebuilding my entire pc fixed it. It could be that the SSD was not fully seated and it caused problems; the screw holding it down was noticeably loose. That may explain why the PC survived stress tests but crashed in-game; the games couldn't load their assets while the tests didn't have any assets to continue loading. Once again I apologize for my stubborn behavior here; I didn't do any of it in bad faith. I have learned a lot from this experience. A big thanks to all of you who helped me out here.

Last edited:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
My friend has a 1080 Ti that draws about 230 W (it is run with a lower power limit because it overheats otherwise, has one of those crappy MSI Armor coolers) and works fine. I think that would work but it's your call.

EDIT: For some weird reason the issue seems to have fixed itself. BeamNG.drive ran fine for 73 minutes and EA Sports WRC ran fine too. Maybe practically rebuilding my entire pc fixed it. It could be that the SSD was not fully seated and it caused problems; the screw holding it down was noticeably loose. That may explain why the PC survived stress tests but crashed in-game; the games couldn't load their assets while the tests didn't have any assets to continue loading. Once again I apologize for my stubborn behavior here; I didn't do any of it in bad faith. I have learned a lot from this experience. A big thanks to all of you who helped me out here.
Ok well that was an odd 1, I hope you have no problems after this and if you have something else go on just come back, the page has been here since 2004/2005.