• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Stock Swandives 25% in Friday Trading Spooked by Quarterly Results

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage Intel 905p Optane 960GB boot, +2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64 / Windows 11 Enterprise IoT 2024
Edits made...

Can I ask that people don't wipe their dirty ideological feet on TPU's carpet. I appreciate some have their own views on things but the news OP doesn't need to be dragged into political hell.
Thank you for your service.

I'm still curious what the nature of all of these Intel problems are.

Yes Intel has let its tech fall behind TSMC a bit but they're still among the top fans of the world.

I do think there is the falling luxury goods market in general (notice how ARM, Qualcomm, Intel and NVidia are all down). But Intels stock change is especially worse than even it's peers....

ARF

Here's the reality: Americans Consumer Demand is dropping across the board. That's fewer McDonalds Big Macs, fewer Starbucks Coffee, less Amazon Sales, fewer iPhones, less Intel, less everything.

The companies doing well, are those known for value. Costco and other wholesalers (cheaper + quality) are winning right now. This only happens when we as a country suddenly become worried about personal finances (which historically, only happens when people are running out of money / savings and have started taking on credit card debt). I'm not going to say we're necessarily in a decline or whatever, but the economic situation is fraught right now. The market is trying to see how bad things are in general.

Eventually the bears will be correct. The bears have been wrong for 10+ years (lol, "tech bubble" has been called since 2005 or earlier, but its never happened). But this time around, I'm seeing real economic data that gives me at least a pause.

Next-generation high-technology (like Intel, Qualcomm, Apple, etc. etc.) are luxuries. We all know we can live without this stuff. We buy them because they're cool and future looking and with the hopes of getting slight edges over competitors (or to play newer video games, etc. etc.). Such luxuries are the first thing people will cut out of their budgets. People will go one more year before upgrading their iPhone, people will hold onto their old laptops to save a bit of money this year, etc. etc. That's the new mindset of the market and economy.

Is that enough for a real decline? Am I a bear? Not really. But I'm holding my defensive / conservative portfolio for now. I'm not expecting a decline, but I'll be prepared for one if it comes into existence.

Has intel already spun the manufacturing arm off, just like AMD was forced by intel's shenanigans 20 years ago to spin GlobalFoundries off?

BTW, we are moving from uni-polar, single-pole world dominated by G8, to multi-polar world with many economic centres, namely BRICS, G7, EAEU, ASEAN, etc.

Also, the semiconductors business should go downward spiralling, because the new wafers are extremely expensive, and the generation cadence rises from 1 year to 2 years, 3 years and more.
Of course, that people will not spend, because there will be no initiative to do so. With small, incremental updates, and worsening product stacks - rising power consumption, use of lower quality materials, etc.

System Name natr0n-PC
Processor Ryzen 5950x-5600x | 9600k
Motherboard B450 AORUS M | Z390 UD
Cooling EK AIO 360 - 6 fan action | AIO
Memory Patriot - Viper Steel DDR4 (B-Die)(4x8GB) | Samsung DDR4 (4x8GB)
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070ti FTW | Sapphire PULSE RX 590
Storage Various
Display(s) Pixio PX279 Prime
Case Thermaltake Level 20 VT | Black bench
Audio Device(s) LOXJIE D10 + Kinter Amp + 6 Bookshelf Speakers Sony+JVC+Sony
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III ARGB 80+ Gold 650W | EVGA 700 Gold
Software XP/7/8.1/10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.x86.fr/79kuh6
everything crashes and then one world currency

"by posting updates on how its 5N4Y (five silicon fabrication nodes in four years) plan is nearing completion"
Yet they again decided tu use TSMC to manufacture their new CPUs.

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Pro
Cooling Some cheap tower cooler, I dunno
Memory 32GB 1866-DDR3 ECC
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600XT
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Display(s) ASUS Pro Art 27"
Case Antec P7 Neo
We’re really digressing into speculation here. It’s far more simple, had Intel been able to offer stronger guidance, their stocks would be fine. However, there is sufficient evidence that they might have issues even supplying existing chips to the market. The future of Raptor Lake is in the balance with lawsuits and warranty claims looming. Meteor Lake has poor yields, resulting in more wasteful production to meet supply. Arc graphics is a perennial money loser. When a company is on the ropes like that, the best thing they can do is point to their future, and Intel went and announced a 10B cut to operations with a 15% layoff. None of that garners investor confidence.

ARF

everything crashes and then one world currency

The us dollar is a vapour bubble currency backed simply by words and promises, or in reality nothing.
We really need currencies that are backed by something real, like gold, or lithium.

freeagent

Staff member
Processor AMD R9 5900X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Thermalright Aqua Elite 360 V3 1x TL-B12, 2x TL-C12 Pro, 2x TL K12
Memory 2x8 G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3200C14, 2x8GB G.Skill Trident Z Black and White 3200 C14
Video Card(s) Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC
Storage WD SN850 1TB, SN850X 2TB, Asus Hyper M.2, 2x SN770 1TB
Display(s) LG 50UP7100
Case Fractal Torrent Compact RGB
Audio Device(s) JBL 2.1 Deep Bass
Power Supply Seasonic Vertex GX-1000, Monster HDP1800
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Logitech G213
VR HMD Oculus 3
Software Yes
Benchmark Scores Yes
I cant say I am surprised. Intel does have a history of swindling their customers.

Knowingly sending bad product out the door is just opening yourself up to trouble.

Don't kid yourself, they knew.

It's coming.

Its _VERY_ premature to call this a recession. We're still making jobs, just fewer jobs than expected.

The softening economy is still a concern though, especially for Intel. "Not as much growth" as expected means fewer people buying computers, especially servers which are Intel's cash cow.

People are far more worried about money + personal finances right now. Its clear that the typical American average-joe has less money in the bank account today than last year. Whether this leads to a recession or not is still to be seen. But I think it is safe to say that people will be spending less than expected on high-tech items like computers.

ARF

We're still making jobs, just fewer jobs than expected.

Interesting. But the devil is in the details. You create jobs based on printing money which you don't have, and your debt has just risen over 35-trillion, the credit agencies begin to dislike this and downgrade the countries' ratings.

Interesting. But the devil is in the details. You create jobs based on printing money which you don't have, and your debt has just risen over 35-billion, the credit agencies begin to dislike this and downgrade the countries ratings.

M2 money supply has been in decline for 2 years now, actually.

All of these jobs we made are in a shrinking monetary base.

1722631043722.png

IE: We've been destroying money for 2 years now. The economy has been overheated (see inflation), and the banks have been trying to stop that for literally years.

I'm still curious what the nature of all of these Intel problems are.
Brian Krzanich
He thought, that AMD is no more competition, and focused on high dividends and R&D cuts. Then not only AMD managed to reinvent itself, but also TSMC and ARM became even harder competitor. Also he abandoned GPU and now they are years behind nVidia and AMD while GPU is more profitable than CPU.
Then he faked an affair with employee and resigned. then there was Bob swan, having no clue what to do. And 5N4Y is simply too little too late.
This is a great lessons for investors. When a CEO focuses on high dividends and sacrifice R&D it will cause shares to go up in a short term, but then they will collapse.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Storage Intel 905p Optane 960GB boot, +2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
It's coming.

OT.

The us dollar is a vapour bubble currency backed simply by words and promises, or in reality nothing.
We really need currencies that are backed by something real, like gold, or lithium.
Dude we tried the gold standard and it lead to the great depression. This is so OT, why can't you guys just behave?

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Off topic? It goes to the very heart of the OP RE tech stocks are taking a beating.
The topic is actually Intel's 25% beating not the 2% down tech stocks and you know it.

ARF

we tried the gold standard and it lead to the great depression

Wrong.

There is no consensus among economists and historians regarding the exact causes of the Great Depression. However, many scholars agree that at least the following four factors played a role.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
The topic is actually Intel's 25% beating not the 2% down tech stocks and you know it.

I do think a "little" bit of recession (or slowdown) talk is appropriate given Intel's position as a luxury / quality goods maker.

People buy Intel Xeon because its a high performance server at (what should be) lower power than the competition. But its a bit more $$$$ than ARM or AMD. Of course, AMD has been grossly improving its quality (both performance and watts). So that's a big reason for Intel's seeming decline.

But we probably shouldn't go overboard on economic topics. You're right that by the time I'm posting about M2 and stuff we're too far away from the core topic.

-------

Luxury goods decline as people get worried about their personal finance. People will buy so called "inferior goods", goods that they know are lower-quality but offer a better price-efficiency. So I think Intel is poorly positioned in a hypothetical recession (or slowdown). In contrast, AMD has a reputation for both cheaper and somehow gained a reputation of higher-quality among many enthusiasts... despite coming in at a lower cost. AMD is your traditional "inferior good" (in terms of economics) that would benefit from economic slowdowns.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
This is an economics thread. What exactly will you write about?
I dunno, Intels stock and market plans? Ya know, tech things.

System Name Shadowchaser
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix B550-E Gaming
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200C14 4x8GB
Video Card(s) Zotac GeForce RTX 4080 Trinity 16GB
Storage Kingston KC3000 2TB NVMe + Samsung 970EVO Plus 2TB + 2x WD Red 4TB SATA3
Display(s) Gigabyte M27Q
Case Fractal Define 7 Black
Power Supply Seasonic SS-750KM3
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Software Linux Debian 12 x64 + MS Windows 10 Pro x64
You're probably referring to AT and I think the top "brown noser" there was definitely Ian Cutress. If praising Intel with all the superlatives for a a few performance increase year over year, almost all from higher clocks wasn't already clear which pocket his journalistic integrity was sitting in, or quickly writing an article every time someone at Intel fed him a BS line (like praising Intel for the exceptional 9900KS which will 100% be 5GHz on all cores all the time, only to discover days later he had been taken for a fool again), the whole 28-core 5GHz Xeon under a chiller story really brought his servility front and center.

After again publishing a stellar piece on Intel's demo of the all new 28-core Xeon running standard at 5GHz in what appeared to be a very normal setup (and patting his own back for being invited to see more than most journalists), it turned out it was under heavy OC, and with a 1HP chiller hidden under the table. So his reaction as a journalist with integrity confronting Intel's deceit was to call it an announcement that was not ideally communicated, and despite being taken for a fool still found it in his heart to kiss the boot and praise Intel because "it actually takes a good amount of engineering prowess and skill to put on a 28-core, 5.0 GHz demonstration".

As I said it elsewhere, I'm not too surprised he's been wallowing in semi-obscurity ever since being unceremoniously shown the door at AT. Those industry connections he polished boots for weren't worth that much after all. Too little too late for AT though, the guy single-handedly tanked their trustworthiness. Hard to come back from that even years later.
I could agree on doctor IC from AT, but IMHO, RS was the champion in brown-nosing at Intel via his rants on PCPer. Later on, he became Intel's PPTX master :D
And, it is no secret that Intel has MDF division who "sponsored" many many tech reviewers up to date. Last of their "warriors" for instance is that german apologist Der8auer. Every time Intel has some shit hit the fan, Roman find some problems with his AMD based platform :D
LTT jumped ship 1-2 years ago.