• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Is alc 897/892 much worse than s1200a ?

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Don't worry about it, you won't notice much, if any, difference between the onboard sound nowadays.
All dependent on speakers honestly

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS A520M-K
Cooling Scythe Kotetsu Mark II
Memory 2 x 16GB SK Hynix CJR OEM DDR4-3200 @ 4000 20-22-20-48
Video Card(s) Colorful RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
Storage 250GB WD BLACK SN750 M.2 + 4TB WD Red Plus + 4TB WD Purple
Display(s) AOpen 27HC5R 27" 1080p 165Hz
Case COUGAR MX440 Mesh RGB
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium HD + Kurtzweil KS-40A bookshelf
Power Supply Corsair CX750M
Mouse Razer Deathadder Essential
Keyboard Cougar Attack2 Cherry MX Black
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
All dependent on speakers honestly
It involves a lot of things, but audio isn't as clear cut as visual so it's hard to say, and most motherboard manufacturer don't put extra emphasis on onboard audio unless it's a high-end ones. Though I do agree, speaker makes a bigger difference like for example a better speaker on onboard sound is better than having dedicated DAC with mediocre speaker.

The headphone he is using I don't know how good it is, or how sensitive it is. Best thing is he try it first, if it doesn't work well (popping, cracking or worse sound quality) buy a cheap USB DAC or soundcard, some of those USB-C to 3.5mm ones got good build in DAC inside and good prices too.

Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar b650m wifi
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengeance 30CL6000
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Lexar NM790 4TB + Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial BX100 250GB
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Lian Li A3 mATX White
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W11 IoT Enterprise LTSC
This is true but even someone with poor hearing, if they know what to listen for, can definitely hear the difference between distorted sound and audiophile quality reproduced sound. They just typically cannot hear certain frequencies as well, most commonly at the higher end of the spectrum.
Is that the only distinction? Distorted sound and 'audiophile' so something not distorted is immediately audiophile quality?

I can get into that statement, actually. I think audio in this sense is rather similar to image reproduction on monitors/screens. The setting defines the best technology and monitor, really, much more so than personal preference. Whether there is an optimal setting is also debatable, if optimal only means a perfectly 'correct' acoustic setting with a highly specific audio setup then one could wonder what is sacrificed in the process of getting there just the same, and its not just money. How 'serious' do you want to really listen and when have you moved into nutcase territory, then begs the question imho. Its easy to hear things in our heads too if we start listening carefully.

Having heard my share of sound systems... big and small... my conclusion is there's simply a very wide range of audio setups and EQ response that can sound great, and an equal amount that have just gone a small step too far in some way and sound absolutely shite. Lots of car audio falls in that last range; to compensate for car noise they always have some godawful frequency response in the lows.

Also when it comes to onboard chips... if you keep using the same speakers/setting you'll notice lots of differences. The ALC4080 I have right now is pretty similar to the ALC1220 I had before (but still better, more honest I would say, more flat EQ response), but both are literally MILES ahead of the Z77 Gigabyte board I used to run the 3570k on (and also still have). Each of these ran over the same speakers, receiver, and connection (optical). The most marked difference is the noise floor. Even between ALC1220 and the 4080 I have now, I can turn the receiver volume slowly up almost to max and there is ever so slightly more noise coming out from the ALC1220 than the 4080.

Last edited:
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS Prime X470-Pro
Cooling bequiet! Dark Rock Slim
Memory 64 GB ECC DDR4 2666 MHz (Samsung M391A2K43BB1-CTD)
Video Card(s) eVGA GTX 1080 SC Gaming, 8 GB
Storage 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1 TB Samsung 850 EVO, 4 TB Lexar NM790, 12 TB WD HDDs
Display(s) Acer Predator XB271HU
Case Corsair Obsidian 550D
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty
Power Supply Seasonic X-Series 560W
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Glorious GMMK
Hello

i had a previous board with s1200a and got one am5 with alc 897/892 from msi

I´m wondering , would i feel the difference ? i´m not audiophile or anything extreme

I have a h2232d headset ( yes it is very entry / budget )

i know i probably won´t feel difference but i just wanted to assure since the msi board has superior vrm than asus

thanks
Now, I don't know where you live, but check if you can get a used X-Fi Titanium for cheap. I'd take that any day over integrated audio. Just make sure to get one using PCIe. Alternatively, that Apple USB dongle route seems feasible too.

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX. Water block. Crossflashed.
Storage Optane 900P[Fedora] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO+SN560 1TB(W11)
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) SMSL RAW-MDA1 DAC
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 41
Get a dedicated DAC/HP amp hybrid and call it a day. Pay ~100-300$ once and use it for a decade or more.

Do not listen to anyone recommending a sound card these days, tbh anything from Creative.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Is that the only distinction? Distorted sound and 'audiophile' so something not distorted is immediately audiophile quality?
Sorry! "Distorted sound" was probably a poor choice of phrasing on my part. Sorry again for that. I should have simply said "distortion", or "audio with too much distortion".

By distortion, I generally mean any added sound to original source material. For example, excessive THD (total harmonic distortion), or too much hiss, cracks and pops. Or clipping where the high-end frequencies are chopped off or the amplification just chops off the signal peaks. Or when the sound across the spectrum just sounds muffled. Or when it sounds like the speaker itself is about to destroy itself. Even wow and flutter!

I am reminded of cars you hear thumping down the street blocks away and the closer it gets, the more you hear the door panels, fenders, the dash, windows in the doors, rear deck, the hood, and trunk lid rattle so loudly, you expect to see chunks and pieces of the car falling off as it drives by. That's 99.9% distortion and .1% music - if that much.

These are sounds many folks with poor hearing can still easily detect and discern clearly. OF COURSE this depends on their type of hearing loss, and how extensive that loss is.

Using me as an example, I spent 24 years working on Air Force bases, on or next to military flight-lines where military aircraft were constantly taking off. The military aspect is important because military aircraft (especially fighter jets) and bases tend to be LOUD as they are exempt from noise abatement laws, as compared to civilian aircraft and civilian airports. I also worked most of those years in radio and computer facilities where high-speed cooling fans were constantly buzzing in our heads. Seeing live, The Eagles, Allman Brothers, Marshall Tucker, Emerson Lake & Palmer, Santana and several others over the years didn't help. Then there's the fact I am no spring chicken. Clearly, my hearing is not what it was when I was in my early 20s.

Yet I can still clearly hear (not to mention "feel" :D) the difference in the "fidelity" of the reproduced sound between a $400 pair of Polk Audio ES20 speakers (which are excellent for the money, BTW) and a pair of B&W 603 Ss that cost $1250 - each! And that's when using the same source material, with both sets of speakers driven by the same decent Onkyo receiver.

I hope that explains what I meant by distortion.

System Name SYSTEM
Processor RYZEN 7 5700X
Motherboard TUF B550M GAMING PLUS
Cooling AG620 CPU COOLER
Memory 16GB RAM DUAL CHANNEL 3200MHZ STOCK
Video Card(s) RTX 4070 GIGABYTE 12GB WINDFORCE
Storage 1TB HDD 256GB SSD
Display(s) LG ULTRAGEAR 144HZ
Case AIGO DARK FLASH
Audio Device(s) MOTHERBOARD AUDIO
Power Supply XPG ADATA PYLON 650W
Mouse REDRAGON COBRA M711 V2
Software WINDOWS 11
hey guys i got the board and unfortunately the sound is def lower

i´m having lower clarity hearing footsteps (like r6 siege )

i tried the same headphone i used on my old am4 and it sounded better

i thought it would not change anything but im feeling it lower volume and harder to hear footsteps overall

I´m considering a usb headset , is fifine h9 good ? or should i get corsair hs70 pro maybe ?

thanks

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
hey guys i got the board and unfortunately the sound is def lower

i´m having lower clarity hearing footsteps (like r6 siege )

i tried the same headphone i used on my old am4 and it sounded better

i thought it would not change anything but im feeling it lower volume and harder to hear footsteps overall

I´m considering a usb headset , is fifine h9 good ? or should i get corsair hs70 pro maybe ?

thanks
Look at reviews.

System Name Desktop
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI X670E MEG ACE
Cooling Corsair XC7 Block / Corsair XG7 Block EK 360PE Radiator EK 120XE Radiator 8x EK Vadar Furious Fans
Memory 64GB TeamGroup T-Create Expert DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio
Storage 1TB WD Black SN850 / 4TB Inland Premium / 8TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Alienware AW3821DW / ASUS TUF VG279QM
Case Lian-Li Dynamic 011 XL ROG
Audio Device(s) Razer Nommo Pro Speakers / Creative AE-9 w/ Audio-Technica ATH-R70X
Power Supply EVGA P2 1200W Platinum
Mouse Razer Viper, Logitech G600
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Elite
I would highly recommend looking look at reviews. Admittedly I haven’t used onboard audio in some time. If you are able to get to a store, I’d highly recommend seeing them in person. Typically there are a few demo sets out to test their fit.

I have always had a dedicated sound card or a USB DAC to drive my headphones and speakers.
I currently rotate between my DT990 Pros (250 Ohms), MMX 300, and my ATH-R70x (480 Ohm).

I prefer open headphones so I can still be perceptive of my surroundings.

System Name SYSTEM
Processor RYZEN 7 5700X
Cooling AG620 CPU COOLER
Case AIGO DARK FLASH
Software WINDOWS 11
I would highly recommend looking look at reviews. Admittedly I haven’t used onboard audio in some time. If you are able to get to a store, I’d highly recommend seeing them in person. Typically there are a few demo sets out to test their fit.

I have always had a dedicated sound card or a USB DAC to drive my headphones and speakers.
I currently rotate between my DT990 Pros (250 Ohms), MMX 300, and my ATH-R70x (480 Ohm).

I prefer open headphones so I can still be perceptive of my surroundings.
I´m tempted to try redragon zeus x ( usb as well ) but considering he is a rebrand of the h2002d ( this was very uncomfortable to use for me , already had one but had to return it despite having good audio) i think i will try the fifine h9

it has overall good reviews both from youtube and amazon as well

but overall i think i should move to usb headsets regardless , not having to own a good onboard audio and having less interference than the p2 audio is better as well

System Name SYSTEM
Processor RYZEN 7 5700X
Cooling AG620 CPU COOLER
Case AIGO DARK FLASH
Software WINDOWS 11
hey guys i´ve just tried the fifine h9 and its pretty good

I guess it is just not worth to invest on mobos with better audio

I mean , its good if the mobo has a better chip and all but a decent usb headset can perform equal / better

I know this fifine is not high end but it is vastly improved over the s1200a and h2232d i´ve used before

It is way easier to hear footsteps ( much better sound clarity and volumes as well )

On volume 20 is already very high ( were before i had to put it to 80 to get anything decent and hear footsteps )