• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Why everyone say Zen 5 is bad ?

System Name PC on since Aug 2019, 1st CPU R5 3600 + ASUS ROG RX580 8GB >> MSI Gaming X RX5700XT (Jan 2020)
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X (July 2022), 160W PPT limit, 80C temp limit, CO -9~14
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro (Rev1.0), BIOS F37h, AGESA V2 1.2.0.B
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420mm Rev7 (Jan 2024) with off center mount for Ryzen, TIM: Kryonaut
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo GTZN (July 2022) 3600MT/s 1.39V CL16-16-16-16-32-48 1T, tRFC:280, B-die
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 7900XTX (Dec 2023) 314~466W (366W current) PowerLimit, 1060mV, Adrenalin v24.7.1
Storage Samsung NVMe: 980Pro 1TB(OS 2022), 970Pro 512GB(2019) / SATA-III: 850Pro 1TB(2015) 860Evo 1TB(2020)
Display(s) Dell Alienware AW3423DW 34" QD-OLED curved (1800R), 3440x1440 144Hz (max 175Hz) HDR400/1000, VRR on
Case None... naked on desk
Audio Device(s) Astro A50 headset
Power Supply Corsair HX750i, 80+ Platinum, 93% (250~700W), modular, single/dual rail (switch)
Mouse Logitech MX Master (Gen1)
Keyboard Logitech G15 (Gen2) w/ LCDSirReal applet
Software Windows 11 Home 64bit (v23H2, OSBuild 22631.4037), upgraded from Win10 to Win11 on Feb 2024
Maybe microsoft can make a windows lite. Not for mobile devices but for people who don't want one drive or co-pilot or edge and all the other years of accumulated bloat, and just want to game. Maybe there'd be like a 10% performance gain. But I bet that wouldn't fit their 'vision'

Seriously I feel like the last thing I need is more threads. Actually idk I could go without ai accelerators too. Can't we put some more cache there or something? I've seen pictures, they take up a lot of realestate.
On regular Ryzen 8c CCD the L2+L3 take up more than half the die area and if you add the infinity fabric then pure cores are occupying only 1/3 of die!
Yes cache does occupy a lot of space

But as you are getting larger dies, fab yields (%) are tumbling downwards and cost upwards fast

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name White DJ in Detroit
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Maybe microsoft can make a windows lite. Not for mobile devices but for people who don't want one drive or co-pilot or edge and all the other years of accumulated bloat, and just want to game. Maybe there'd be like a 10% performance gain. But I bet that wouldn't fit their 'vision'

Game what, exactly? Games from the 90's? 2000s? From 2010? 2014? Where should the cut-off point be?

System Name BarnacleMan
Processor 14700KF
Motherboard Gigabyte B760 Aorus Elite Ax DDR5
Cooling ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 240 + P12 Max Fans
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury Beast 5600 cl36
Video Card(s) Asus Tuf 4090 24GB
Storage 4TB sn850x, 2TB sn850x, 2TB Netac Nv7000 + 2TB p5 plus, 4TB MX500 * 2 = 18TB. Plus dvd burner.
Display(s) Dell 23.5" 1440P IPS panel
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH Performance Mid-Tower
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z623
Power Supply Gigabyte 850w
Mouse Some piece of shit from China
Keyboard Some piece of shit from China
Software Yes Please?
Game what, exactly? Games from the 90's? 2000s? From 2010? 2014? Where should the cut-off point be?
I was wondering that exact thing myself while writing it, it was really more a joke than anything. But idk. I think you'd really need a room full of people intimately familiar with the software to decide what is needed and what is not.

Taking what features away would yield the best performance gains? How much overhead is xxx backwards compatibility costing us? I imagine it would go something like that, with lots of testing. But again I wasn't really being serious. Just surprised how much the admin-account thing is affecting performance. And thats just by accident. Who knows what could happen if a couple smart people at microsoft with unlimited authority (lets just say they have it for fun) did all they could? Interesting to think about anyway.

Though yes, I am well aware with windows having such a long legacy, that things get very very... messy. I've even heard some people say the best place to run legacy windows apps is becoming... linux.

On regular Ryzen 8c CCD the L2+L3 take up more than half the die area and if you add the infinity fabric then pure cores are occupying only 1/3 of die!
Yes cache does occupy a lot of space

But as you are getting larger dies, fab yields (%) are tumbling downwards and cost upwards fast
I kinda had lunar lake in mind when I said that and... aren't they getting smaller? Since now everything is going to be tiled? I don't doubt it will be expensive but, even more reason to take those ai accelerators out, right? (I'm not really being serious, please don't take me that seriously)

Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.4, 4.8Ghz Ring 190W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
with these kinds of releases i can see ARM actually catching - Nvidia working on ARM desktop CPU.

Processor 5950x
Motherboard B550 ProArt
Cooling Fuma 2
Memory 4x32GB 3200MHz Corsair LPX
Video Card(s) 2x RTX 3090
Display(s) LG 42" C2 4k OLED
Power Supply XPG Core Reactor 850W
Software I use Arch btw
This is why i was kind of hoping for a 3d-vcache only density core design - like juiced up zen4c cores - if they could fit 10-12 density cores with 3D cache they sort of create the perfect mix cpu.

AMD Zen 4c Not an E-core, 35% Smaller than Zen 4, but with Identical IPC | TechPowerUp
^ these with 3D cache and higher clocks...

20 or 24 core with dual CCDs 3D cache to offsett the lack of l3 cache for productivity. Would really be an interesting product.
Zen 4c lacks the TSVs to enable the stacked cache, and it'd kill any purpose since it won't clock as high, and now you'd be making it draw even more power. I'd rather see AMD going hybrid in a similar fashion to what they did in mobile, with 1 regular 8-core CCD + a 16-core dense CCD. Maybe stack 3D-cache on top of the regular CCD to applease gamers, idk.

FWIW, dense CCDs allow for 16-core designs.
Also it would give the Mobo manufacturers room to push out higher tier AM5 boards which they've been dying to do - need more pci-e lanes and whatnot? new chipset! There's definitely a gap in the HEDT market to push those parts - here's your productivity 24 core monstrosity with tons of 3d-cache and avx-512, while a 12 core one CCD 3d v cache part would sell like hotcakes to everyone else.
You can't add new PCIe lanes on the current socket. You'd need a new socket for that, so a new chipset would be pretty useless.
Shit make it a monolithic gaming focused product with 12 cores and vcache even better lol
That would make more sense, but I doubt it'd become a thing since it's so niche. You can't reuse the mobile monolithic chips, so it'd need to be an entirely new chip by its own.
No professionals would buy it due do the lack of cores. No mainstream (non-gamer) consumer would buy it due to the higher price. Gamers are just a small niche to justify such product.

anyway there are some reviews on linux where ZEN 5 actually performs so much better....
I'm one of those folks that got really happy with the 9950x and will plan to buy one, the uplift from my 5950x is amazing compared to the 7950x (which was just okay at launch).

with these kinds of releases i can see ARM actually catching - Nvidia working on ARM desktop CPU.
A "grace-hopper lite" would be amazing for workstations, but I doubt Nvidia would even care about windows support since this kind of product is meant solely for linux.

System Name Night Rider | Mini LAN PC | Workhorse
Processor AMD R7 5800X3D | Ryzen 1600X | i7 970
Motherboard MSi AM4 Pro Carbon | GA- | Gigabyte EX58-UD5
Cooling Noctua U9S Twin Fan| Stock Cooler, Copper Core)| Big shairkan B
Memory 2x8GB DDR4 G.Skill Ripjaws 3600MHz| 2x8GB Corsair 3000 | 6x2GB DDR3 1300 Corsair
Video Card(s) MSI AMD 6750XT | 6500XT | MSI RX 580 8GB
Storage 1TB WD Black NVME / 250GB SSD /2TB WD Black | 500GB SSD WD, 2x1TB, 1x750 | WD 500 SSD/Seagate 320
Display(s) LG 27" 1440P| Samsung 20" S20C300L/DELL 15" | 22" DELL/19"DELL
Case LIAN LI PC-18 | Mini ATX Case (custom) | Atrix C4 9001
Audio Device(s) Onboard | Onbaord | Onboard
Power Supply Silverstone 850 | Silverstone Mini 450W | Corsair CX-750
Mouse Coolermaster Pro | Rapoo V900 | Gigabyte 6850X
Keyboard MAX Keyboard Nighthawk X8 | Creative Fatal1ty eluminx | Some POS Logitech
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 | Windows 10 Pro 64 | Windows 7 Pro 64/Windows 10 Home
Sorry but your point is absurd, if you want to buy a new system, you have to look at prices now. Who in their right mind would pay 100 euros more for a CPU performing roughly 3%, and sometimes, even worse, all that for a bit more efficiency ?

Absurd? these are just the facts, sorry if you dont like them but thats just how it is, and did I say anything about buying a new system? Nope! please dont make up stories and read comments correctly before replying! :toast: and it sounds like to me you have only looked at maybe 1 or 2 reviews? if your making judgment already then you have already failed.

A bad sign is AMD trying to find any excuse to make ZEN 5 look better, coming with "tricks" that affect other cpus as well.

And what tricks are these exactly? Finding that there is indeed an issue with Windows and proving that there is? Yep I see that as a "trick" :confused:

I'm also quite disappointed by all the reviewers trying to make ZEN 5 look good...You really have to be paid by AMD to say its good, the magic of ZEN5 ? The only magic there is is asking such a high price for underperfoming CPU, the point of the new generation being more expansive than the current available products, is because it is supposed to perform better...

It would be an ok product if they'd lower the price considerably.

All the reviewers trying to make Zen 5 look good? and must be paid by AMD to say its good? hmmmmm Im going to leave just one review here for you that I know very well they dont get paid by AMD......more so the opposite actually.

The issues you mention affects other cpus as well, Intel like AMD, that's pr bullshit to try to make ZEN 5 not look that bad. Those issues are well known for ages and are not proper to AMD.

Really? I shall wait for the link you post to confirm this......as this is the first time Ive ever heard of this particular issue.
Look at the testing with SMT from TPU...It did not change anything.

What exactly are we talking about here? change anything in what way? as a whole? as productivity? Gaming? what? ether way 99% of people arnt going to give a shit about turning off SMT, just saying.

I'm pretty sure those kind of rumors are made as a smoke screen by AMD..They're trying to avoid a commercial disaster with the help of some reviewers, but when you look at the actual performance comparison graphs, ZEN 5 is really disappointing.
They hope people will only read the main title and conclusion, that shows how much they take consumers for brainless milk cows.

Again this is why I think you havent looked at many reviews at all and you might need to go spend more time on the internet and look at many reviews, look at them closely, and you might come more to the conclusion I did, that its to early to make judgment till all these weird issues have been ironed out, yes its not going to be omg 20% faster! then last gen, heck just ask Intel all about that crap :roll: but there is an improvement and in some cases its big other cases its very small or none at all but its unfair to come to a full on conclusion until everything is sorted. Wouldn't you agree?
It is a missed opportunity for AMD, they better start working on ZEN 6 asap because if Arrow Lake does deliver, ZEN 5 will be one of the greatest disaster in consumers cpu history.

I think your stretching that a bit to far honestly, and all the linux uses at this stage would be laughing in your face. I can think of a few way worse CPU disasters then Zen 5 launch *cough* 13th/14th Gen Intel *cough*

Melvis said:
I get what your saying but you cant compare a brand new CPU with its launch price compared to a 2yr old part as clearly the older part will ALWAYS be cheaper

That's not even my point:

SL2 said:
I'm talking about launch price.
*Scratches my head* ummm I think thats exactly what I said?? ^ :confused:

Go look at all the Linux Benchmark results and you might be surprised.....

System Name Nebulon B
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 24 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-4800
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 6750 XT 12 GB
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 2.1 speakers, AKG Y50 headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
As others said, not many folks actually need more cores.
Another issue is that adding more cores would be useless, since those cores are already pretty much bandwidth-starved. No point in adding more cores while keeping with dual-channel. It's pretty easy to notice that in scenarios where the scaling from the 9900x to the 9950x is not great.
Yes. Not to mention the infinity fabric. If we added 2-4 more cores per CCD, they would communicate with the IO die and RAM through the same IF. Not great.

I often wondered how many people poneyed up for core 2 quads back in the day, thinking they'd be future proofing or something. When even in 2024... you can still buy quad cores, and they perform so so much better. I'm glad we've passed the phase where core count was like the #1 qualifying CPU spec. Intel came in with ecores like right after that was ending. "Hey guys look we got 24 cores!" **crickets** Some guy: "Where's the x3d cache?"
I bought a 5950X to future-proof my rig, then sold it when the 5800X3D and 7700X ran miles around it in every game.

Plus 7800x3ds were kinda exploding at the time...
Only in Asus boards.

Edit: Personally, I'd prefer a monolithic design myself because it's easier to cool, but I'd rather have chiplets than the e/p core + software scheduler bullshit.

I'm kinda in the same boat with Intel if they had a 12P core option I'd have bought it at launch I'm hoping AL other improvements offset being stuck or choosing to be stuck at 8p cores for intel
Bartlett Lake? :) Honestly, if they make it, that'll be the first interesting Intel product to me since 11th gen.

Last edited:
Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.4, 4.8Ghz Ring 190W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
Zen 4c lacks the TSVs to enable the stacked cache, and it'd kill any purpose since it won't clock as high, and now you'd be making it draw even more power. I'd rather see AMD going hybrid in a similar fashion to what they did in mobile, with 1 regular 8-core CCD + a 16-core dense CCD. Maybe stack 3D-cache on top of the regular CCD to applease gamers, idk.

FWIW, dense CCDs allow for 16-core designs.

You can't add new PCIe lanes on the current socket. You'd need a new socket for that, so a new chipset would be pretty useless.
So you're saying, if they released a CPU that had more PCI-E lanes, and a new chipset designed around that CPU, the AM5 socket would not be able to accomdate this? I dont think this is correct I was under the impression the CPU and chipset decided the PCI-E lane quantity and speed, not the socket.

The problem with hybrid approach is the same as the e-core issues - the scheduling is a mess. I don't think the 7950X3D is a particularly good product, and a dense core CCD chip would probably be even worse.

Last edited:
System Name His & Hers
Processor R7 5800X/ R7 7950X3D Stock
Motherboard X670E Aorus Pro X/ROG Crosshair VIII Hero
Cooling Corsair h150 elite/ Corsair h115i Platinum
Memory Trident Z5 Neo 6000/ 32 GB 3200 CL14 @3800 CL16 Team T Force Nighthawk
Video Card(s) Evga FTW 3 Ultra 3080ti/ Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090
Storage lots of SSD.
Display(s) A whole bunch OLED, VA, IPS.....
Case 011 Dynamic XL/ Phanteks Evolv X
Audio Device(s) Arctis Pro + gaming Dac/ Corsair sp 2500/ Logitech G560/Samsung Q990B
Power Supply Seasonic Ultra Prime Titanium 1000w/850w
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed/ Logitech G Pro Hero.
Keyboard Logitech - G915 LIGHTSPEED / Logitech G Pro
Bartlett Lake? :) Honestly, if they make it, that'll be the first interesting Intel product to me since 11th gen.

Not Bartlett they had too many issues with LGA1700 for me to want to invest into the socket at the end of life. I do think it could be great for those already on the platform.

Honestly I'm not overly excited for AMD or Intel at this point. AMD really needs to overhaul the IF and untill Intel decides to give their products more than 8 P cores from the start of a new socket meh.

I also got an extra X670E board with no cpu currently so I'm praying 9000X3D doesn't suck lol. Long story but I can't sell it only donate or gift it if I don't want to use it morally anyways lol.

So you're saying, if they released a CPU that had more PCI-E lanes, and a new chipset designed around that CPU, the AM5 socket would not be able to accomdate this? I was under the impression the CPU and chipset, not the socket.

More likely amd doesn't want to mess up it's margins on the cpu side and improving the iod and IF probably would cost them a lot or they would've done it already it's long over due at least with the IF it's went up around 200-400mhz since ryzen 3000 depending on how lucky you were so basically a half decade+ of being stuck 1800-2200 smh.

Not sure they could add new lanes without breaking compatibility with X670/X870 though they'd likely need new boards so might as well make a new socket I guess because you know people will try to put them into old boards anyway lol.

28 lanes seems ok to me though honestly

My board has 2 5.0 m.2 2 4.0 m.2 and can do a single 16x 5.0 gpu at the same time not sure why the average user would need more than that, I get more is better but still.

32-40 would be nice sure but unless you are doing somthing that utilizes 2 gpus at full 5.0 bandwidth I'm not sure that's necessary. 6 nvme on the board would be cool though I guess.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Asus Rog Strix X570E
Cooling Noctua NHD-15S
Memory Gskill Trident 3600 4x8Gb
Video Card(s) Inno3d 4070 TI
Storage 1TB + 2 TB SSD Samsung 980 pro + Toshiba 18TB
Display(s) MSI MAG274QRF-QD
Case Fractal Torrent
Audio Device(s) Creative Soundblaster AE-9
Power Supply BeQuiet Straight power 850W
Software Windows 10 Pro
Absurd? these are just the facts, sorry if you dont like them but thats just how it is, and did I say anything about buying a new system? Nope! please dont make up stories and read comments correctly before replying! :toast: and it sounds like to me you have only looked at maybe 1 or 2 reviews? if your making judgment already then you have already failed.

And what tricks are these exactly? Finding that there is indeed an issue with Windows and proving that there is? Yep I see that as a "trick" :confused:

All the reviewers trying to make Zen 5 look good? and must be paid by AMD to say its good? hmmmmm Im going to leave just one review here for you that I know very well they dont get paid by AMD......more so the opposite actually.

Really? I shall wait for the link you post to confirm this......as this is the first time Ive ever heard of this particular issue.

What exactly are we talking about here? change anything in what way? as a whole? as productivity? Gaming? what? ether way 99% of people arnt going to give a shit about turning off SMT, just saying.

Again this is why I think you havent looked at many reviews at all and you might need to go spend more time on the internet and look at many reviews, look at them closely, and you might come more to the conclusion I did, that its to early to make judgment till all these weird issues have been ironed out, yes its not going to be omg 20% faster! then last gen, heck just ask Intel all about that crap :roll: but there is an improvement and in some cases its big other cases its very small or none at all but its unfair to come to a full on conclusion until everything is sorted. Wouldn't you agree?

I think your stretching that a bit to far honestly, and all the linux uses at this stage would be laughing in your face. I can think of a few way worse CPU disasters then Zen 5 launch *cough* 13th/14th Gen Intel *cough*

*Scratches my head* ummm I think thats exactly what I said?? ^ :confused:

Go look at all the Linux Benchmark results and you might be surprised.....
The problem mentioned, SMT, administrator, affect every CPU not only AMD, just go look the reviews of TPU and Hardware unboxed.

ZEN 5 is, overall, about 3% faster and costs a lot more. Exemple 9700x cost 380 to 450 euros compared to the 7700X who costs 280, the 7700 can be found for around 200 euros in the tray version. The price at launch does not matter. Yes ZEN 5 is a bit more efficient, but who cares really ? The financial advantage on a year's bill of electricity is laughable.

I've watched a shit load of reviews, and base on the results of the benchmark, there is no way one can say in their right mind that ZEN 5 is good, it is moreover overpriced compared to its performance.

Right now, ZEN 5 is not selling and there is a reason for that, ZEN 5 is really disappointing, and at that price, a generation to skip.

AMD overhyped this CPU is a shameless manner, it was totally dishonest and now they come with things like SMT, Admin bug...whatever...which have an effect, but with every CPU, not only AMD, so the performance ratio stay the same, that's what I call tricks.

There is absolutely no reasons to buy ZEN 5 right now, you can find cheaper alternatives for the same level of performance.

About not enough memory bandwidth. Offers for DDR5 8000 begine from $184 for 32GB, and for 48GB from $230 both with "free" 1TB m.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD. I think that in 2026 when ZEN 6 with new IF, IMC, hmm I hope totally new cIOd, memory prices will be much more attractive and will have very good reasons for upgrading or building of new PC...

System Name BarnacleMan
Processor 14700KF
Storage 4TB sn850x, 2TB sn850x, 2TB Netac Nv7000 + 2TB p5 plus, 4TB MX500 * 2 = 18TB. Plus dvd burner.
Software Yes Please?
Only in Asus boards.
Don't say things like that!

I need to keep my posts short

Because my brain is always going "Should I put in that minor detail, well if I don't, someone's gonna point it out thinking I don't know it."

And then I end up writing a novel nobody reads. And I've been trying real hard not to do that, lol.

System Name His & Hers
Storage lots of SSD.
Audio Device(s) Arctis Pro + gaming Dac/ Corsair sp 2500/ Logitech G560/Samsung Q990B

Because my brain is always going "Should I put in that minor detail, well if I don't, someone's gonna point it out thinking I don't know it."

And then I end up writing a novel nobody reads. And I've been trying real hard not to do that, lol.

The bigger issue was boards straight up ignoring whatever you set and while I do fault AMD for not having better control over their AIB it was mostly them just trying to one up each other. AFAIK it was only ASUS boards turning into grenades though. Other boards just killed the CPU I think.

It was nothing like the Raptor Lake issue that seems squarely on Intel and unlike intel AMD jumped onto this issue pretty fast although cpu burning up is worse than degrading imho lol.

System Name Nebulon B
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Software Windows 10 Pro
Not Bartlett they had too many issues with LGA1700 for me to want to invest into the socket at the end of life. I do think it could be great for those already on the platform.

Honestly I'm not overly excited for AMD or Intel at this point. AMD really needs to overhaul the IF and untill Intel decides to give their products more than 8 P cores from the start of a new socket meh.

I also got an extra X670E board with no cpu currently so I'm praying 9000X3D doesn't suck lol. Long story but I can't sell it only donate or gift it if I don't want to use it morally anyways lol.
To be honest, I've always done my platform upgrades at the end of their life. They're a lot cheaper than they are at launch, and all the teething issues have been ironed out by then. AM5 is an exception for me.

If Intel makes Bartlett Lake with 12 p-cores and no e-cores on LGA-1700, and it ends up being good, I might think about switching (again).

As for Ryzen 9000 series, I already have a 7800X3D, so I don't care. A few percent extra performance or efficiency has never impressed me anyway.

System Name BarnacleMan
Processor 14700KF
Software Yes Please?
Just curious, but why? It should have less multicore performance than our current models. The benefit I suppose would be simplified thread scheduling, with only 2 types instead of 3. But wont arrow lake have that same benefit? Just ecores and pcores instead of pcores and hyperthreaded.... threads.

System Name Nebulon B
Software Windows 10 Pro

All I'm saying is, the issue wasn't with the CPUs, but with certain boards. Sure, AMD had to come out with the hard VSOC limit, but it's an afterthought to someone else's problem, not theirs.

System Name BarnacleMan
Processor 14700KF
Software Yes Please?
The bigger issue was boards straight up ignoring whatever you set and while I do fault AMD for not having better control over their AIB it was mostly them just trying to one up each other. AFAIK it was only ASUS boards turning into grenades though. Other boards just killed the CPU I think.

It was nothing like the Raptor Lake issue that seems squarely on Intel and unlike intel AMD jumped onto this issue pretty fast although cpu burning up is worse than degrading imho lol.
@AusWolf

Yes I am well aware. I figured it was common knowledge at this point ( well at least among most people on this forum). Hence me saying if I could go back I would have got a 7800x3d.

System Name His & Hers
Storage lots of SSD.
To be honest, I've always done my platform upgrades at the end of their life. They're a lot cheaper than they are at launch, and all the teething issues have been ironed out by then. AM5 is an exception for me.

If Intel makes Bartlett Lake with 12 p-cores and no e-cores on LGA-1700, and it ends up being good, I might think about switching (again).

As for Ryzen 9000 series, I already have a 7800X3D, so I don't care. A few percent extra performance or efficiency has never impressed me anyway.

I use to always jump on at launch but after a couple 13900k I worked with had stability issues out of the box and then the X3D SOC voltage SAGA these days I will just wait, Thankfully I do enough builds with most cpu's to have a good idea what to buy.....

Although I did have hands on with the 7800X3D did multiple builds with it felt it was fine used it for a week at home and said nope so you never know till you actually own something I guess.

System Name Nebulon B
Software Windows 10 Pro
Just curious, but why? It should have less multicore performance than our current models. The benefit I suppose would be simplified thread scheduling, with only 2 types instead of 3. But wont arrow lake have that same benefit? Just ecores and pcores instead of pcores and hyperthreaded.... threads.
I don't care much about multicore performance. I only game and watch Youtube on my PC. Honestly, even 8 cores are enough for me, but if I can have 4 more for a bit of an extra headroom, it'll be welcome. :)

With that said, e/p-cores with thread scheduling and such are a no-go for me. I've never liked software solutions, I don't even have Ryzen Master installed, and I'm definitely not gonna switch to Windows 11 just to make it work. So if Intel makes another homogenous architecture that just simply works out of the box, I'll be interested. Until then, they can shove e/p-cores up where the sun don't shine.

Other boards just killed the CPU I think.
I'm not so sure. At least mine never did.

System Name His & Hers
Storage lots of SSD.

I hate the idea of e cores and how they are implemented more than I dislike using them I would pay more for a 12 Core either single ccd or monolithic chip that is good at gaming at the same time from either company..... I only have a 7950X3D because it's downsides bother me slightly less than a 13900k although the degradation thing was a pretty big negative lol.

It's really just my own preference I don't have any issues with those who like the current setups. I've used them they are mostly fine.

System Name Nebulon B
Software Windows 10 Pro
you never know till you actually own something I guess.
I agree completely. It's funny how the universally hated Intel 11th gen worked wonderfully for me, while the much loved R5 3600 was a bit of a disaster when I tried using it in a low profile HTPC. I sold it after a week.

As for the 7800X3D, though, I have to agree with the general consensus. It's a brilliant CPU that eats very little and performs wonders in gaming and general use. I don't even need EXPO RAM tuning, honestly.

System Name BarnacleMan
Processor 14700KF
Software Yes Please?
I don't care much about multicore performance. I only game and watch Youtube on my PC. Honestly, even 8 cores are enough for me, but if I can have 4 more for a bit of an extra headroom, it'll be welcome. :)

With that said, e/p-cores with thread scheduling and such are a no-go for me. I've never liked software solutions, I don't even have Ryzen Master installed, and I'm definitely not gonna switch to Windows 11 just to make it work. So if Intel makes another homogenous architecture that just simply works out of the box, I'll be interested. Until then, they can shove e/p-cores up where the sun don't shine.

Oh I see, so it comes down to a not wanting to upgrade windows thing. That I can get. Ecores are actually handled pretty well in my experience these days, even without APO.It helped me play dragon quest origins. I found it most stable running on 4 ecores than anything else, although it still wasn't... completely stable. Ah hah! I've solved the mystery... what want out of modern CPUS... that they can't do now.... is play dragon quest origins... without god damn crashing.

System Name His & Hers
Storage lots of SSD.

I remember seeing some gigabyte boards and a meg ace might have been specific models.

I agree completely. It's funny how the universally hated Intel 11th gen worked wonderfully for me, while the R5 3600 was a bit of a disaster when I tried using it in a low profile HTPC. I sold it after a week.

As for the 7800X3D, though, I have to agree with the general consensus. It's a brilliant CPU that eats very little and performs wonders in gaming and general use. I don't even need EXPO RAM tuning, honestly.

My issue with Rocket lake was the i9 I waited a long time for something worthwhile from intel and that felt like a joke. I liked the 10900k even though it was a ++++++++++++++ CPU lol. The lower chips were mostly fine did some 11500 and 11600k builds they were fine.... I've just noticed that it seems people ditched them pretty fast. Every person I did an 11th gen build for swapped to Alderlake.

System Name Nebulon B
Software Windows 10 Pro
My issue with Rocket lake was the i9 I waited a long time for something worthwhile from intel and that felt like a joke. I liked the 10900k even though it was a ++++++++++++++ CPU lol. The lower chips were mostly fine did some 11500 and 11600k builds they were fine.... I've just noticed that it seems people ditched them pretty fast. Every person I did an 11th gen build for swapped to Alderlake.
Yeah, the i9 was a joke. Take £30-40 off of the 11900K's price, and you got an 11700K. Take another £30-40 off, and you got an 11700 non-K, which was physically identical to all of them, just with slightly lower clocks and a locked multiplier. I got that chip and never regretted it for a single second. In fact, I still have it in my living room HTPC. It's highly versatile thanks to its default 65 W power limit that can be tuned up to the sky, and its integrated Xe graphics does 4K output and videos like a charm without needing any extra power. Even when Alder Lake launched, I never thought about ditching the 11700 for a second.

System Name His & Hers
Storage lots of SSD.
Yeah, the i9 was a joke. Take £30-40 off of the 11900K's price, and you got an 11700K. Take another £30-40 off, and you got an 11700 non-K, which was physically identical to all of them, just with slightly lower clocks and a locked multiplier. I got that chip and never regretted it for a single second. In fact, I still have it in my living room HTPC. It's highly versatile thanks to its default 65 W power limit that can be tuned up to the sky, and its integrated Xe graphics does 4K output and videos like a charm without needing any extra power. Even when Alder Lake launched, I never thought about ditching the 11700 for a second.

I had a 3900X and 9900K at the time so it was a nothing burger.... Also the 5800X with really tunned Bdie was noticeably faster in games I tried and unlike my 9900k that could do 4000 CL14 in it's sleep the 11900k which was only a single sample sucked past 3600mhz because of the gear 1/2 BS it was such a weird generation likely due to being stuck on an outdated process node.

I actually purchased a 5950X/5800X not long after it I had some hands on with the i9 lol.