• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What Windows is overall the best to you and why?

What Windows is overall the best to you and why?

• Total voters

ARF

GUI isnt innovations.

A good GUI will exactly qualify as an innovation. Because it is the medium through which the users interact with the hardware underneath, and use it in order to accomplish certain tasks.

Innovations such as auto HDR, the new CPU scheduler stuff, better security, the enhancements for things like mouse polling and timer resolution polling

These are not innovations. These are simply drivers, the CPU stuff is intel-only, I have AMD Ryzens and M$ never cared to "innovate" about me.
HDR is about monitors, and is irrelevant for 99.99% of the users.

Processor Ryzen 7 9700x
Motherboard Asrock B650E PG Riptide WiFi
Cooling Underfloor CPU cooling
Memory 2x32GB 6200MT/s
Video Card(s) RX 7900 XT OC Edition
Storage Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB, Seagate Exos 12TB
Display(s) MSI Optix MAG301RF 2560x1080@200Hz
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro
Power Supply NZXT C850 850W Gold
Mouse Bloody W95 Max Naraka
Windows, like most operating systems, is flexible, there are programs that can change its entire look - if someone doesn't like the 11 look - just change it.
What matters with an OS is how compatible it is with other devices, its security, and how fast it runs on your current hardware (telemetry is another story).

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
If you think any Windows version is better than 7 then you have never used Windows 7. Everything Microcrap has created since then has been trash.

System Name His & Hers
Processor R7 5800X/ R7 7950X3D Stock
Motherboard X670E Aorus Pro X/ROG Crosshair VIII Hero
Cooling Corsair h150 elite/ Corsair h115i Platinum
Memory Trident Z5 Neo 6000/ 32 GB 3200 CL14 @3800 CL16 Team T Force Nighthawk
Video Card(s) Evga FTW 3 Ultra 3080ti/ Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090
Storage lots of SSD.
Display(s) A whole bunch OLED, VA, IPS.....
Case 011 Dynamic XL/ Phanteks Evolv X
Audio Device(s) Arctis Pro + gaming Dac/ Corsair sp 2500/ Logitech G560/Samsung Q990B
Power Supply Seasonic Ultra Prime Titanium 1000w/850w
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed/ Logitech G Pro Hero.
Keyboard Logitech - G915 LIGHTSPEED / Logitech G Pro
If you think any Windows version is better than 7 then you have never used Windows 7. Everything Microcrap has created since then has been trash.

I jumped to windows 10 immediately in 2015 but I honestly don't even remember 7 all that much which is probably a good thing because it likely didn't annoy me whatsoever lol.

System Name Main
Processor Ryzen 5950x
Motherboard B550 PG Velocita
Cooling Water
Memory Ballistix
Video Card(s) RX 6900XT
Storage T-FORCE CARDEA A440 PRO
Display(s) MAG401QR
Case QUBE 500
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z623
Power Supply LEADEX V 1KW
Mouse Cooler Master MM710
Keyboard Huntsman Elite
Software 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://hwbot.org/user/damric/
for me, a fully patched Vista was as good as 7, so I voted 7. XP was great though. 8, 10, and 11 have been rubbish for me

Seconds never were displayed by default in Windows. It took a simple tweak to put seconds there in Windows 7 and in Windows 10.
This is true, I've never done it or even seen it. Hardly a major gripe..

So, goodbye Calendar. No longer Calendar in Windows 11.
So download one? It's not like there's a shortage of them..

100% this!! :toast:

Granted, Windows 11 is fairly nice, despite it's horrendous problems(which are fixable). If microsoft would quit shooting itself in the foot and getting in it's own way, it would be excellent!

ARF

So download one? It's not like there's a shortage of them..

Thanks, but nope.
Why do I need Windows at all, if M$ uninstalls all important apps, so that I need to waste time, search for new appropriate ones, and maybe spend some amount of $$?
I will skip windows eleven altogether, until it dies and gets forgotten by everyone.

Processor Ryzen 7 9700x
Memory 2x32GB 6200MT/s
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro
Thanks, but nope.
Why do I need Windows at all, if M$ uninstalls all important apps, so that I need to waste time, search for new appropriate ones, and maybe spend some amount of $$?
I will skip windows eleven altogether, until it dies and gets forgotten by everyone.
If you don't need/use of Windows, what's the point of arguing? To convince someone to switch to Linux?
Each OS is specific and is a personal choice to use ;)

las

System Name Meh
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI X670E Tomahawk
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit
Memory 32GB G.Skill @ 6000/CL30
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX 4090 Phantom / Undervolt + OC
Storage Samsung 990 Pro 2TB + WD SN850X 1TB + 64TB NAS/Server
Display(s) 27" 1440p IPS @ 360 Hz + 32" 4K/UHD QD-OLED @ 240 Hz + 77" 4K/UHD QD-OLED @ 144 Hz VRR
Case Fractal Design North XL
Audio Device(s) FiiO DAC
Power Supply Corsair RM1000x / Native 12VHPWR
Mouse Logitech G Pro Wireless Superlight + Razer Deathadder V3 Pro
Keyboard Corsair K60 Pro / MX Low Profile Speed
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
2000, 7 and 10 in that order.

Windows 11 is a mess still after 3 years. Lets hope they fix it before 10 support runs out. I might run a LTSC of 10 tho.

Mainly use this rig for gaming and Windows 11 is not better than 10 for gaming. Or it might be the same now, after 24H2 patch and branch prediction fix. Lets hope.

However, tons of gamers tried 11 and returned to 10 for a reason. 11 had too many buggy updates and issues over the years, and still is far from perfect.

Reactions: ARF
Processor i5-6600K
Motherboard Asus Z170A
Cooling some cheap Cooler Master Hyper 103 or similar
Memory 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
Display(s) 2x Oldell 24" 1920x1200
Case Bitfenix Nova white windowless non-mesh
Audio Device(s) E-mu 1212m PCI
Power Supply Seasonic G-360
Mouse Logitech Marble trackball, never had a mouse
Keyboard Key Tronic KT2000, no Win key because 1994
Software Oldwin
Show it as a proof !
So, goodbye Calendar. No longer Calendar in Windows 11.
Wrong. It works just fine as of now on Windows 10..
Vanilla 11.

1724843871744.png

Sadly, it's not one-click but you need to go to Control panel-Date and time-Change date and time. (The best you can do is create a desktop shortcut for Date and time.) But in exchange, you get a persistent window. In 7, it disappears as soon as you click outside it, which is annoying if you had XP before.

Windows, like most operating systems, is flexible, there are programs that can change its entire look - if someone doesn't like the 11 look - just change it.
If only that were true. There are hacks that can change its look, often by patching explorer.exe on the fly. They stop working if their developers cease to catch up with MS. Here's an example: up until a few months ago, it was possible to choose between normal, narrow and wide taskbar with a registry setting. MS has a limited number of staff whose job is to take away options, but eventually they found that option, then removed it.
What matters with an OS is how compatible it is with other devices, its security, and how fast it runs on your current hardware (telemetry is another story).
I don't disagree.

System Name Z77 Rev. 1
Processor Intel Core i7 3770K
Motherboard ASRock Z77 Extreme4
Cooling Water Cooling
Memory 2x G.Skill F3-2400C10D-16GTX
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1080
Storage Samsung 850 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 28" UE590 UHD
Case Silverstone TJ07
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
Mouse EVGA TORQ X10
Keyboard Leopold Tenkeyless
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Time Spy: 7695
I voted 7. Even though I use 10 and think it is a better operating system in most ways, the way they forced things and made us more the product of data collection, I think makes 7 ultimately better.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Oh, wah wah wah!

You seem to think an operating system is supposed to be full of apps. Wrong! That is not the purpose of operating systems. The OS is required to facilitate communications between the various hardware components, the network, and with installed software - and do it securely. W11 does it.

If you don't need/use of Windows, what's the point of arguing?
That's what trolls do. That's the purpose of this entire thread - so he can argue with those who express opinions different than his. Opinions he asked for. Why ask for someone's opinion if not going to respect it? Again, that's what trolls do.

Ok, do without then.
Agreed. Do without the calendar or any 3rd party alternative. And without W11 - especially since clearly, your inability to display seconds is such a show stopper for you. Nobody cares. And so you should not care if others like W11.

That's what trolls do. That's the purpose of this entire thread - so he can argue with those who express opinions different than his. Opinions he asked for. Why ask for someone's opinion if not going to respect it? Again, that's what trolls do.
Right?
Agreed. Do without the calendar or any 3rd party alternative.
Exactly, but given his post just above, They're talking about the calendar in the taskbar clock, which isn't going away. So they're complaining about nothing.

System Name Regular PC | Server HP Z440
Processor 9700k | E5-2698v3
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X-CF | Stock mobo
Cooling Scythe Mugen 5 rev. B | Stock HS
Memory 32 GB (8x4) | 112 GB (8x2 + 16x6)
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super | K4000
Storage 970 EVO+ 1TB | 860 1TB x2
Display(s) XV340CK x2, 1080p x2
Power Supply Corsair RM750x | Corsair RM750e
Software Pop!_OS | Proxmox
That's what trolls do. That's the purpose of this entire thread - so he can argue with those who express opinions different than his. Opinions he asked for. Why ask for someone's opinion if not going to respect it?
Disagreeing with someone over the removal of OS features and the difficulty to add those features back via third party applications doesn't constitute trolling. it may be unsettling or maybe communicated rudely, but not trolling. If anything, when you asked the thread to be shutdown (twice, no less) because ARF "corrected" your words, you may be considered the troll.

I don't see how criticisms of Windows features, additions and removals, means "windows hate thread," as if it's an irrational, prejudiced, ex nihilo attack on the OS.

You seem to think an operating system is supposed to be full of apps. Wrong! That is not the purpose of operating systems. The OS is required to facilitate communications between the various hardware components, the network, and with installed software - and do it securely. W11 does it.

Clearly, many people see the OS as more than a launcher: As soon as you do online banking, the OS is your bank but also YOU legally.

Processor Ryzen 7 9700x
Memory 2x32GB 6200MT/s
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro
As it seems, the future of Windows will be filled with applets and most features will disappear or become applets whether we like it or not.
Old hardware will no longer be supported, and that's not always a bad thing because some security mitigations will be removed for better compatibility and performance.

There isn't perfect OS anyway.

Disagreeing with someone over the removal of OS features and the difficulty to add those features back via third party applications doesn't constitute trolling. it may be unsettling or maybe communicated rudely, but not trolling. If anything, when you asked the thread to be shutdown (twice, no less) because ARF "corrected" your words, you may be considered the troll.

I don't see how criticisms of Windows features, additions and removals, means "windows hate thread," as if it's an irrational, prejudiced, ex nihilo attack on the OS.

Clearly, many people see the OS as more than a launcher: As soon as you do online banking, the OS is your bank but also YOU legally.

To the later half...if all an OS is is an interface, then the perfect interface was DOS. Dang near bare metal, easy to interface with any program, and zero effort to deal with because running any program was basically always going to be similar.

The problem is that an OS is not just the interface...and hasn't been since we've been able to have a GUI light weight enough to make interaction with a system easy for the masses. Heck, today there's entire Linux forks just because of the GUI, people hated windows 8 specifically for the tablet style interactions with the GUI, and windows 10 and beyond had a flood of people who day one bought whatever application was required to make interacting with their start menu like windows 10, and this is what people most viscerally remember at first.

I then believe they remember interaction with the OS, interaction with software, and finally stability. People hated windows 11 out of the box because it decided when it was turning off...or just going to sleep. Features like Directx at one point drove windows adoption, and by the time you're looking back it isn't so unreasonable to forget that game that took you 5 days and three drivers to figure out that only one obscure sound card driver variant would get everything working...after 10 minutes downloading the wrong two with dial-up speed.

Processor faster at instructions than yours
Motherboard more nurturing than yours
Cooling frostier than yours
Memory superior scheduling & haphazardly entry than yours
Video Card(s) better rasterization than yours
Storage more ample than yours
Display(s) increased pixels than yours
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) further audible than yours
Power Supply additional amps x volts than yours
Mouse without as much gnawing as yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
VR HMD not as odd looking as yours
Software extra mushier than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
I like windows 11 but I've never had a love/ hate relationship with any version of windows probably because my friends constantly ask me to fix their mac/ipad and after spending 20 minutes with the damn things I want to toss them across the room. Yes, I've run Linux & Ubuntu...I liked them just fine but I like Windows better.

System Name His & Hers
Processor R7 5800X/ R7 7950X3D Stock
Motherboard X670E Aorus Pro X/ROG Crosshair VIII Hero
Cooling Corsair h150 elite/ Corsair h115i Platinum
Memory Trident Z5 Neo 6000/ 32 GB 3200 CL14 @3800 CL16 Team T Force Nighthawk
Video Card(s) Evga FTW 3 Ultra 3080ti/ Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090
Storage lots of SSD.
Display(s) A whole bunch OLED, VA, IPS.....
Case 011 Dynamic XL/ Phanteks Evolv X
Audio Device(s) Arctis Pro + gaming Dac/ Corsair sp 2500/ Logitech G560/Samsung Q990B
Power Supply Seasonic Ultra Prime Titanium 1000w/850w
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed/ Logitech G Pro Hero.
Keyboard Logitech - G915 LIGHTSPEED / Logitech G Pro
I like windows 11 but I've never had a love/ hate relationship with any version of windows probably because my friends constantly ask me to fix their mac/ipad and after spending 20 minutes with the damn things I want to toss them across the room. Yes, I've run Linux & Ubuntu...I liked them just fine but I like Windows better.

About the same for me honestly.

System Name Gamer
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite WIFI
Cooling Apogee XL, MCR360, MCP655, Micro-rez
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR4-3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Red Dragon RX 6800 XT
Storage WD SN850 1TB & SN750 1TB
Display(s) LG 32GK650F-B 32" 1440p 144Hz
Case Rocketfish (Lian Li) e-ATX
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon HK695 2.1
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GM-750
Mouse HP Gaming wired
Keyboard Logitech G110 wired
VR HMD HP WMR 1440^2
Software Win10 Pro 64bit
I guess the 3rd of you that voted for Win7 as the best forgot about the shenanigans Microsoft pulled when Windows 7 Update broke.

A couple examples I remember...
They chose not to fix the problem with the Win7 Updater in hopes people would just give up on 7 & just move to 10.
The "Update to Win10" nag box had the X close box changed to Yes.
AFAIK to this day, a fresh install requires 4 patches to be installed in a specific order to get Update to work.

My fondest memories of PCs & PC gaming are split between 98SE & ME, followed by XP. But I'm an old fart. lol

System Name BigRed
Processor I7 12700k
Motherboard Asus Rog Strix z690-A WiFi D4
Cooling Noctua D15S chromax black/MX6
Memory TEAM GROUP 32GB DDR4 4000C16 B die
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3080 Gaming Trio X 10GB
Storage M.2 drives WD SN850X 1TB 4x4 BOOT/WD SN850X 4TB 4x4 STEAM/USB3 4TB OTHER
Display(s) Dell s3422dwg 34" 3440x1440p 144hz ultrawide
Case Corsair 7000D
Audio Device(s) Yamaha YSP-800 DSP soundbar/Bowers and Wilkins P7 Headphones
Power Supply Corsair RM850x 80% gold
Mouse Logitech G604 lightspeed wireless
Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL lightspeed wireless
Software Windows 10 Pro X64
Benchmark Scores Who cares
I like any OS that is stable, and that has included win 7, 10 and 11

forgot about the shenanigans Microsoft pulled when Windows 7 Update broke.
That has happened with every version of Windows that has had an update feature. So yeah, not a strikingly glaring point. And as always, it's never problem if one shuts updates off.

My fondest memories of PCs & PC gaming are split between 98SE & ME, followed by XP. But I'm an old fart. lol
With you on this one. XP was very solid, and despite what people want to think/say, WinME was excellent after a few key tweaks.

System Name CyberPowerPC ET8070
Processor Intel Core i5-10400F
Motherboard Gigabyte B460M DS3H AC-Y1
Memory 2 x Crucial Ballistix 8GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Super
Storage Boot: Intel OPTANE SSD P1600X Series 118GB M.2 PCIE
Display(s) Dell P2416D (2560 x 1440)
Power Supply EVGA 500W1 (modified to have two bridge rectifiers)
Software Windows 11 Home
Was unhappy that Windows 11 would not run on my five Core 2 machines; but got over it as I found a cheap machine to run Windows 11 on. Included a free upgrade from 10 to 11 which made the project economical.

Last edited: