• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Fake AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D Processors used to Scam Buyers in the P2P Market

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
A PC enthusiast in Romania bagged a good deal on a used AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D processor they found on OLX, an P2P and B2B online marketplace. Only, this wasn't a 7800X3D. In fact, it wasn't even a processor—a complete paperweight. While you can't return stuff you found on OLX, for deals executed through the platform, there are fraud protection measures that can withhold funds to the seller. Unfortunately, as most P2P deals on platforms such as OLX or even eBay, the buyer and seller tend to negotiate a lower price to cut out the platform costs, and transact privately. This is how the enthusiast ended up with the dud. Der8auer discovered this, and offered to buy the processor from him.

Der8auer installed the processor and turned on the machine, and of course it wouldn't POST. So this isn't a case of a cheaper (but functional) processor being mislabeled and sold at a higher price. Der8auer then proceeded to de-lid the processor (remove its integrated heat spreader) to discover that it's a complete fake. There's not a shred of silicon under it. The IHS is designed to mimic the shape of the cIOD and CCD. Der8auer provided some quick tips on how to spot a fake: start with the substrate's solder-mask color—it should be green. The SMDs should have a thin sealant, which protect them in machines with extreme cooling solutions that can have condensation. The substrate itself is thin (under 1 mm), whereas the real chip has about 1.3 mm in substrate thickness. Lastly, look for font and alignment errors on the chip label, on the IHS itself. Be careful when looking for 7800X3D processors in the P2P market, ensure you either have a platform that can refund you, or use a mode of payment that can (such as Paypal). Find Der8auer's video in the source link below.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

Thanks for posting this news. 300$+ purchase in P2P is risky and paypal is must for expensive purchase.

The buyer tried to scam the platform in the first place ... sorry but not sorry for him or others like him.

System Name Nebulon B
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 24 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-4800
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 6750 XT 12 GB
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 2.1 speakers, AKG Y50 headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
"have a platform that can refund you" - this a million times. Or even better, buy only from someone you can trust.

This platform makes the buyer confirm if the product is good before the seller gets its money, so it's hard to scam anyone ... unless someone arranged the sale out of the platform and then has no protection. It looks like this time it was this way.

Levantin31

OLX in Romania does not work like ebay, you meet the person to buy the product in person and pay in cash, or you get it delivered by courier and pay in cash once you check the package but you cannot test the product before paying. OLX is so basic it just got seller reviews after a lot of years active. What most likely happened is the person that tried to buy it got it by courier, he was not trying to scam the app in any way, it's the way it works, and that is why it's full of scammers. There were a lot of 5800x3d on the same app an year ago 100 euros cheaper than the stores that seemed very suspicious to me, I did not know we could have fake CPUs then but something was off.

System Name Main PC
Processor 13700k
Motherboard Asrock Z690 Steel Legend D4 - Bios 13.02
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32 Gig 3200CL14
Video Card(s) 4080 RTX SUPER FE 16G
Storage 1TB 980 PRO, 2TB SN850X, 2TB DC P4600, 1TB 860 EVO, 2x 3TB WD Red, 2x 4TB WD Red
Display(s) LG 27GL850
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster AE-9
Power Supply Antec HCG 750 Gold
Software Windows 10 21H2 LTSC
A lot of effort on the machining, but then cant use the right font, sane with the fake samsung SSDs, wrong font used.

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
If anything OLX is more akin to craigslist than eBay. At least on eBay you have some sort of buyer's protection.

This is why I buy brand-new processors. You never know what you will end up with in today's world.

I think that a lot of 13th and 14th generations of high end Intel CPUs thought the same .... oh wait ...

/s

System Name Nebulon B
Software Windows 10 Pro
OLX in Romania does not work like ebay, you meet the person to buy the product in person and pay in cash, or you get it delivered by courier and pay in cash once you check the package but you cannot test the product before paying. OLX is so basic it just got seller reviews after a lot of years active. What most likely happened is the person that tried to buy it got it by courier, he was not trying to scam the app in any way, it's the way it works, and that is why it's full of scammers. There were a lot of 5800x3d on the same app an year ago 100 euros cheaper than the stores that seemed very suspicious to me, I did not know we could have fake CPUs then but something was off.
Then I'm surprised that people use the platform at all.

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Pro
Cooling Some cheap tower cooler, I dunno
Memory 32GB 1866-DDR3 ECC
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600XT
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Display(s) ASUS Pro Art 27"
Case Antec P7 Neo
The sad thing is, you can run into this scammy crap even at a retail store. I've purchased diapers from Target before where when I got home and opened the box, not only were the contents the wrong size, but the wrong brand. Someone put the a different kind back in (I guess cause they didn't need them), glued the bottom shut, and returned it for a refund, and the store just restocked it. The kicker was, the brand was "Honest Diapers." It really sucks when you're on your last diaper and you discover what you just bought isn't what you need.

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
The sad thing is, you can run into this scammy crap even at a retail store. I've purchased diapers from Target before where when I got home and opened the box, not only were the contents the wrong size, but the wrong brand. Someone put the a different kind back in (I guess cause they didn't need them), glued the bottom shut, and returned it for a refund, and the store just restocked it. The kicker was, the brand was "Honest Diapers." It really sucks when you're on your last diaper and you discover what you just bought isn't what you need.
Welcome to a low trust society filled with incompetence. Enjoy your stay, because lord knows the planes wont stop falling out of the sky anytime soon.

Processor AMD Phenom II X4 925
Motherboard Asus M4A78LT-M
Cooling Ice Hammer IH-4***
Memory 2x4GB DDR3 Corsair
Video Card(s) Asus HD7870 2GB
Storage 500GB SATAII Samsung | 500GB SATAII Seagate
Display(s) 23" LG 23EA63V-P
Case Thermaltake V3 Black Edition
Audio Device(s) VIA VT1708S
Power Supply Corsair TX650W
Software Windows 10 x64
Target accepts returns of hygiene products? Wtf?

System Name Beaver's Build
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (WI-FI) - X570
Cooling Corsair H115i RGB PLATINUM 97 CFM Liquid
Memory G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory - 16-19-19-39
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition
Storage Inland 1TB NVMe M.2 (Phison E12) / Samsung 950 Pro M.2 NVMe 512G / WD Black 6TB - 256M cache
Display(s) Alienware AW3225QF 32" 4K 240 Hz OLED
Case Fractal Design Design Define R6 USB-C
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 USB Audio Interface
Power Supply SuperFlower LEADEX TITANIUM 1600W
Mouse Razer DeathAdder V2
Keyboard Razer Cynosa V2 (Membrane)
Software Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores 3dmark = https://www.3dmark.com/spy/32087054 Cinebench R15 = 4038 Cinebench R20 = 9210
"have a platform that can refund you" - this a million times. Or even better, buy only from someone you can trust.
Heatware ratings

A lot of effort on the machining, but then cant use the right font, sane with the fake samsung SSDs, wrong font used.
They were probably scared of infringing the copyrights of the fonts!

Anyway if I was the scammer I'd feel salty I didn't sell it directly to der8auer for 400.

Wonder why this makes me think of Epic VS Apple and their 'App store'? Probably because it's one of the things that Apple is trying to protect it's customers from? Am I wrong?

Wonder why this makes me think of Epic VS Apple and their 'App store'? Probably because it's one of the things that Apple is trying to protect it's customers from? Am I wrong?

Apple is trying to protect its customers from not giving their money, and that's about it. The rest is side effects.

To be clear, this is also how other companies function. Except maybe they also have other ways of extracting money from their curstomers.

The buyer tried to scam the platform in the first place ... sorry but not sorry for him or others like him.
How is that exactly? It looks like this site works like classified ads in the newspapers. You read the ad and then deal with the buyer directly. Very different from eBay like market places.

But anyway, the story looks very fishy to me as far as I could find from the details in different articles, which admittedly could miss a lot of nuance. Does der8auer buy non-functional components all the time from random people who were scammed? Because until he opened it up this was just a broken CPU. Thousands of fake or broken parts gets sold on classifieds sites or actual retail channels every day. What made der8auer come to the rescue this time? When I get scammed on eBay or Amazon can I just get der8auer to bail me out? Or only if it looks like a good promo opportunity? As I said, a bit fishy in my eyes (nose).

System Name PC on since Aug 2019, 1st CPU R5 3600 + ASUS ROG RX580 8GB >> MSI Gaming X RX5700XT (Jan 2020)
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X (July 2022), 220W PPT limit, 80C temp limit, CO -8~12
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro (Rev1.0), BIOS F39b, AGESA V2 1.2.0.C
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420mm Rev7 (Jan 2024) with off-center mount for Ryzen, TIM: Kryonaut
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo GTZN (July 2022) 3600MT/s 1.38V CL16-16-16-16-32-48 1T, tRFC:280, B-die
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 7900XTX (Dec 2023) 314~467W (375W current) PowerLimit, 1060mV, Adrenalin v24.8.1
Storage Samsung NVMe: 980Pro 1TB(OS 2022), 970Pro 512GB(2019) / SATA-III: 850Pro 1TB(2015) 860Evo 1TB(2020)
Display(s) Dell Alienware AW3423DW 34" QD-OLED curved (1800R), 3440x1440 144Hz (max 175Hz) HDR400/1000, VRR on
Case None... naked on desk
Audio Device(s) Astro A50 headset
Power Supply Corsair HX750i, ATX v2.4, 80+ Platinum, 93% (250~700W), modular, single/dual rail (switch)
Mouse Logitech MX Master (Gen1)
Keyboard Logitech G15 (Gen2) w/ LCDSirReal applet
Software Windows 11 Home 64bit (v24H2, OSBuild 26100.1882), upgraded from Win10 to Win11 on Feb 2024
I would only buy used (never did so far) when I have the ability to get the product test it for a couple of days and decide to keep it.

Here we have a local market platform like a small amazon (with login accounts) where you can buy online new hardware from online or physical stores. Not just hardware but many different products.
Less than a year ago there is a new section for used parts that users can sell. Sold my old 5700XT 6 months ago. When someone wanted it, I packed it, and a courier came and received it.
The "buyer" received it, test it and decided to keep it. Then I got my money to my bank account. Until then the payment was on hold by the platform. The buyer has the option to not keep the used product for whatever reason within 2 days.
This is how used marketplace should always work.

I understand that this is not as easy when the market is international, so I'm staying clear of those.

How is that exactly? It looks like this site works like classified ads in the newspapers. You read the ad and then deal with the buyer directly. Very different from eBay like market places.

But anyway, the story looks very fishy to me as far as I could find from the details in different articles, which admittedly could miss a lot of nuance. Does der8auer buy non-functional components all the time from random people who were scammed? Because until he opened it up this was just a broken CPU. Thousands of fake or broken parts gets sold on classifieds sites or actual retail channels every day. What made der8auer come to the rescue this time? When I get scammed on eBay or Amazon can I just get der8auer to bail me out? Or only if it looks like a good promo opportunity? As I said, a bit fishy in my eyes (nose).
This is not the first time I hear this.
GemersNexus a year ago bought fried CPUs and boards during the AM5 SoC fiasco to "investigate" what was happening. While AMD was RMA-ing CPUs, board vendors did not...
I literally do not care if a YT-er makes money on those videos from the platform as long as the video is informative, it has some value to me.

A lot of crap videos on YT that claim to inform you but turned out to be huge waste of time.
I've narrowed down to handful of YT channels (about tech, hardware, physics, astrophysics) over the years and from those I see only those that interest me. Not every video.

Der8auer and Gamer'sNexus is a couple of those.

System Name Nebulon B
Software Windows 10 Pro
Heatware ratings
The problem with ratings is that you have none as a new user, even if you're a trustworthy person.

Personally, I tried to register for Heatware once, but doing that and linking my other accounts to it was so damn clumsy that I gave up on it. It might have improved since then, I don't know.

That's not what is explained in the article. I reacted to what is explained in the article.

While you can't return stuff you found on OLX, for deals executed through the platform, there are fraud protection measures that can withhold funds to the seller.

Someone sold a fake product for the price of a new one to a youtuber? Cut out the middle man, sell directly to the consumer, I like that.
I have to appreciate the craftsmanship of this fake, some thought and effort went into it.

As for OLX: Where i live, in the very beginning, it didn't even require registration. And what is the first thing people do when they get something for free and without strict control? They abuse the hell out of it and scam each other. It still is known as a place to sell or buy stolen or counterfeit goods. I'm not joking, when someone snatched a phone from my wife's hand, I found it on OLX within hours. There is no real protection for sellers or buyers, despite their claims. It's a negative trust place fitting for a negative trust society.
I miss the times of escrow protection... but scammers destroyed even that.

Last edited: