• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sound Card suggestion to get rid of Realtek ALC4080

System Name G-Station 1.17 FINAL
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 WiFi
Cooling DeepCool AK620 Digital
Memory Asgard Bragi DDR4-3600CL14 2x16GB
Video Card(s) Sapphire PULSE RX 7900 XTX
Storage 240GB Samsung 840 Evo, 1TB Asgard AN2, 2TB Hiksemi FUTURE-LITE, 320GB+1TB 7200RPM HDD
Display(s) Samsung 34" Odyssey OLED G8
Case Thermaltake Level 20 MT
Audio Device(s) Astro A40 TR + MixAmp
Power Supply Cougar GEX X2 1000W
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Elite (Red)
Software Windows 11 Pro
Hello, I thought about making this connection before. But there is a situation like this, when I get sound output from the graphics card, will the sound quality be lower than the current sound quality? And is there a control panel that allows me to manage the sound settings of the graphics card? (like realtek or sonic studio)
I'm afraid you'll only have the Windows Mixer and whatever other options/enhancements Windows has for any sound output.
Audio quality from the GPU shouldn't be low, though, it's digital. If it does lose quality, it'd be something on your monitor's DAC. But that will be for you to test and see if it is up to your standards or not.

System Name "Icy Resurrection"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 APEX ENCORE
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S upgraded with 2x NF-F12 iPPC-3000 fans and Honeywell PTM7950 TIM
Memory 32 GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 7600 MT/s 36-44-44-52-96 1.4V
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 500 GB WD Black SN750 SE NVMe SSD + 4 TB WD Red Plus WD40EFPX HDD
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Pichau Mancer CV500 White Edition
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Microsoft Classic Intellimouse
Keyboard Generic PS/2
Software Windows 11 IoT Enterprise LTSC 24H2
Benchmark Scores I pulled a Qiqi~
This may sound weird and I truly hesitated at first - I had a NU Audio that doesn't fit on my new ROG Apex Encore motherboard.

Head out to the Apple Store and buy their USB-C to headphone jack adapter meant for the iPhone 15. It actually drives my Sony studio cans just fine. That should be all you need, trust me on that one. It's incredibly inexpensive, the sound has no noise and the volume is great... I was amazed, that thing basically outperforms any low-end sound card and doesn't owe much even to a high-end model.

In regards to GPU audio, the information given is 100% correct, I have an HDMI to SPDIF converter that also has 3.5mm out, HOWEVER be aware the 3.5mm has a DAC and also so does a monitor.
If you go through the monitor its the same as the converter, if you use the 3.5mm out, you are using the monitors DAC. The ALC 4080 is 1220 based without the HDA bus.

Personally I use SPDIF-Optical and have done for 20+ years, my speaker system is Class-D so there is no DAC, but otherwise it would be sound system DAC.

I don't use HDMI myself, it was a test unit sent to me that supports 6 channel LPCM over Optical, HDMI is junk.
You wont find any mastering systems or external DAC's supporting HDMI.

GPU's use an HDA bus for audio, btw. Anything using an HDA bus is limited to ~37 Mbits/s for audio, both SPDIF and HDMI.
Current consumer SPDIF is more limited by BMC, but still reaches 62.5 Mbits/s for audio, more than the bus.

----

Attachments

• Optical S1220A.png
    Optical S1220A.png
    422.6 KB · Views: 31
  • Monitor 7900XT.png
    Monitor 7900XT.png
    397.3 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Processor Intel® Core™ i9-12900K
Motherboard Z690 GAMING X DDR4
Cooling CM MasterLiquid ML280 Mirror
Memory 32GB Team Group T-Create Xpert @3600Mhz
Video Card(s) Zotac GeForce RTX 3060 Twin Edge OC
Storage TEAM_TM8FP6512G_V1.6.C1/KINGSTON_SA400S361K1/T-FORCE_512GB
Display(s) ASUS VG279Q 144Hz
Case Corsair iCUE 220T RGB Airflow
Audio Device(s) S.M.S.L. Sanskrit MKII V2 DAC + Mackie CR3
Power Supply ROG-STRIX-1000G
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Sentey Ghost Mechanical Keyboard
Software Windows 11 Pro for Workstations 23H2
Got it. All I want is a decent sound card that works with w11. Everyone recommends a DAC. I don't know what to do.

Can you recommend a DAC that isn't too expensive?

I am looking for a sound card that is not expensive and works properly. Even an ALC1220 or a card that works stably at that setting would be a good suggestion. I don't know what to do, to be honest. Everyone is recommending a DAC.
Yeah sure

FiiO K5 Pro https://tinyurl.com/y3kvn2y7

iFi Zen DAC V2 https://tinyurl.com/497t4wnx

This is the one I use

S.M.S.L Sanskrit 10th MKIII https://tinyurl.com/mrpcdy58

Not to sound offensive, but to point out, buying a new soundcard is the same as buying a new DAC. Going through some of the responses there is some confusion going on.
A PCIe soundcard won't necessarily be different to a PCIe GPU, it might use an HDA bus, or it might be PCI, if HDA it should work well (same as a GPU).

A USB external DAC is the same as a soundcard but instead of internal PCIe, USB, it potentially could be a duplicate of a PCIe model.
There are plenty of USB DAC's that work perfectly, can't say how they do their bus, most likely a USB bus.

Processor Intel i5 8400
Motherboard Asus Prime H370M-Plus/CSM
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken & Noctua NF-A15 HS-PWM chromax.black.swap
Memory 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) ROG-STRIX-GTX1060-O6G-GAMING
Storage 1TB 980 Pro
Display(s) Samsung UN55KU6300F
Case Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III 750w
Software W11 Pro
In essence it appears there are multiple issues of which audio is probably the hardest to ignore and most impacted. Strong reasoning exists to suspect the Asus mobo is especially prone towards amplifying or creating conditions for this to occur.

At it's core this is an enthusiast site where rebuilding and reconfiguring systems is considered fun. In no arranged order here are some good ideas.

1. Try another wall outlet. Or another wall outlet with a known functional powerstrip/UPS. Taking PC to a friend or relatives is also a good test.
2. You or someone you know proficiently using a multimeter to test everything from the wall outlet outwards. No programs, highly inaccurate and rely on inaccurate info.
3. Spend money on the solution you feel has the best chance of producing results.
4. If available try another PSU with your PC or a different PC in the immediate area of where yours is located.
5. Education. Example: ASIO audio driver traits versus typical audio drivers. One might even be present and unused on your mobo.
6. Digital audio programs/players can have a large effect by assessing and attempting to correct issues within the sphere intelligently programmed software can impact.
7. Completely disassemble and rebuild the system. Clean everything, examine everything, carefully insert everything back into place.

To add to above:

Some onboard Realtek's have impedance sensing, ideally if you have a controllable amp, set it to minimum.
There are other options too, such as power config in the registry, can be an issue.

----

Attachments

• S1220A.png
    S1220A.png
    220.3 KB · Views: 32
  • GPU.png
    GPU.png
    220.3 KB · Views: 30
System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX. Water block. Crossflashed.
Storage Optane 900P[Fedora] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO+SN560 1TB(W11)
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) SMSL RAW-MDA1 DAC
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 41
most likely a USB bus.

Most use XMOS async Audio over USB to yer preferred device flavor, let it be i2s, MIDI, DSD etc...

It is the most advanced way these days, SPDIF being the strong number two in terms of being bullet proof.

Topping, SMSL and others... you have to more precise about your budget... they are all available on Amazon etc favorite store.

To add to above:

Some onboard Realtek's have impedance sensing, ideally if you have a controllable amp, set it to minimum.
There are other options too, such as power config in the registry, can be an issue.

He has a ASUS marvell... it is a motherboard design flaw... nothing can fix it. Time to time it happens, as most people are tone deaf anyways, barely anyone notices.

@Ferrum Master, noted, I am still using Realtek HDA and are not 100% up to scratch with the newer USB ones, just enough to get PCM audio processing working as intended.
You can get multicore DSP SoC's now with I2C and some other interface types, TMS320C6678ACYP, ideal with SPDIF which can use CPU/DMA.

----

Attachments

• SPDIF Transmitter.png
    SPDIF Transmitter.png
    68.9 KB · Views: 23
  • SPDIF Transmitter.png
    SPDIF Transmitter.png
    82.1 KB · Views: 24
  • SPDIF.png
    SPDIF.png
    230.1 KB · Views: 27
  • Realtek - HDA.png
    Realtek - HDA.png
    156.6 KB · Views: 22
Did you try an older Realtek driver ? I had problems with the latest one, and reverted to the 2021 driver and no issues. Also a DAC is as big as a pack of cigarettes(my Fiio E10K for example) or about as a smartphone. No way space is an issue for anyone that is not living on the ISS or a submarine.

System Name HELLSTAR
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Storage Optane 900P[Fedora] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO+SN560 1TB(W11)
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Software FEDORA 41
@Ferrum Master, just enough to get PCM audio processing working as intended.

That Texas Instruments looks very similar to Creative bridge.

For my personal designs is still use the venerable DIR9001 and pair it PCM1794A, I am also pretty old school... I am not ashamed of it either... I am pretty used to it, latest DIR9001 unoficcially actually work in 24/192 in hardware mode.

Recently I bought a pretty well priced ESS ES9039Q2M based DAC, it has so many things included out of the box, and it is the first ESS IC that doesn't get on my nerves. ESS has/had very signature distortion, but this one is pretty tame, and neutral... It works so well, I have no ADC devices that can outmatch it and read the noise floor. Here is a review... ofc Amirm.

Hardware is one part, but the most important part is software and that is the part important to all of us here reading this. XMOS currently has the most mature software stack, it works out of the box in Linux, Mac and needs a driver for Windows lol, I have used older XMOS model bridges in USB to i2s mode to my DAC boards, they are very robust, newer ones are also isolated, async, they solve a lot of inherited flaws. There are XMOS(XU208?) to SPDIF bridges if you are into it, very robust. It just bloody works, what you hook afterwards it is a different techiciality or matter of taste, but the core of the success is this, not the DAC afterwards.

So the short answer... no more internal Sound Cards... those are dead, nobody develops for those... DO NOT BUY. Sorry for the offtopic.

Last edited:
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar b650m wifi
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengeance 30CL6000
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Lexar NM790 4TB + Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial BX100 250GB
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Lian Li A3 mATX White
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W11 IoT Enterprise LTSC
Are you sure it's not just some grounding issue? Cracking sounds shouldn't be a problem for alc4080
Yeah I just play heavy bass driven music and it ain't happening here on my alc4080, and it does sound quite nice.

I would rule out the connection and the speakers/receiver/amp first.

Well if I remember correctly I2C and I2S are created by Phillips, and SPDIF stands for Sony-Phillips-Digital-Interface-Format.
It wont be that long before we get SPDIF SoC, fully dedicated digital hardware. Sorry off topic, also.

BMC is a bit of a limiting factor though, audio rate x 2 = BMC. TOSLink - Toshiba link, that's 3 major brands.

----

Attachments

• SPDIF - Question.png
    SPDIF - Question.png
    100 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Processor Intel i5 8400
Motherboard Asus Prime H370M-Plus/CSM
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken & Noctua NF-A15 HS-PWM chromax.black.swap
Memory 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) ROG-STRIX-GTX1060-O6G-GAMING
Storage 1TB 980 Pro
Display(s) Samsung UN55KU6300F
Case Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III 750w
Software W11 Pro
So the short answer... no more internal Sound Cards... those are dead, nobody develops for those... DO NOT BUY. Sorry for the offtopic.

Reason I actively discouraged it was they are not, with exception for NU Audio, designed or feasible on modern hardware and OS. Sadly a lot of DAC are no better while technically working.

It really sounds like they just want a passable solution and considered the realistic options as going well beyond that. Whichever of the choices between a new mobo or (an educated guess and importing of) DAC is cheaper and easier will probably win out.

Something like a Focusrite Scarlett could also be an option here that might be available used.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 7900X3D
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B650E-E Gaming
Cooling ASUS ROG Strix LC III 360
Memory G.Skill 48GB(2x24) TZ5 Neo RGB EXPO 6400mhz CL32
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF RTX4070TI SUPER
Storage Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 2X2TB, Adata XPG SX8100 2X2TB,
Display(s) Dell 34" Curved Gaming Monitor S3422DWG
Case Corsair 5000X
Power Supply Corsair RM1000x SHIFT 80 PLUS Gold
Mouse Asus ROG Gladius II Core
Keyboard Asus ROG Strix Scope
I'm afraid you'll only have the Windows Mixer and whatever other options/enhancements Windows has for any sound output.
Audio quality from the GPU shouldn't be low, though, it's digital. If it does lose quality, it'd be something on your monitor's DAC. But that will be for you to test and see if it is up to your standards or not.
I will definitely try this this week. I hope the sound quality is good. To be honest, DAC prices are a bit high so I thought an internal sound card would do the job. But no one recommends it.

This may sound weird and I truly hesitated at first - I had a NU Audio that doesn't fit on my new ROG Apex Encore motherboard.

Head out to the Apple Store and buy their USB-C to headphone jack adapter meant for the iPhone 15. It actually drives my Sony studio cans just fine. That should be all you need, trust me on that one. It's incredibly inexpensive, the sound has no noise and the volume is great... I was amazed, that thing basically outperforms any low-end sound card and doesn't owe much even to a high-end model.
Unfortunately, what you mentioned is not in stock in my country. So I have to eliminate it.

In regards to GPU audio, the information given is 100% correct, I have an HDMI to SPDIF converter that also has 3.5mm out, HOWEVER be aware the 3.5mm has a DAC and also so does a monitor.
If you go through the monitor its the same as the converter, if you use the 3.5mm out, you are using the monitors DAC. The ALC 4080 is 1220 based without the HDA bus.

Personally I use SPDIF-Optical and have done for 20+ years, my speaker system is Class-D so there is no DAC, but otherwise it would be sound system DAC.

I don't use HDMI myself, it was a test unit sent to me that supports 6 channel LPCM over Optical, HDMI is junk.
You wont find any mastering systems or external DAC's supporting HDMI.

GPU's use an HDA bus for audio, btw. Anything using an HDA bus is limited to ~37 Mbits/s for audio, both SPDIF and HDMI.
Current consumer SPDIF is more limited by BMC, but still reaches 62.5 Mbits/s for audio, more than the bus.

----
I don't know what the features of the built-in DAC in my monitor are. I'll try to get sound output from my graphics card this week. I'll transfer the sound to the monitor and then output it to the speakers from the audio output on the monitor. Let's see how the quality will be.

Why doesn't anyone recommend any of the sound cards I shared that use the ALC1220 chip? Is their sound quality bad? Frankly, I'm not looking for something high-end. But wouldn't it be okay if I got a sound card with a good interface and no driver problems, and I'd continue to use it permanently?

Yeah sure

FiiO K5 Pro https://tinyurl.com/y3kvn2y7

iFi Zen DAC V2 https://tinyurl.com/497t4wnx

This is the one I use

S.M.S.L Sanskrit 10th MKIII https://tinyurl.com/mrpcdy58
Unfortunately, these DACs are not sold in Turkey. That's why it seems impossible for me to buy them. Frankly, I don't understand why buying a built-in sound card is not recommended. Because what I'm looking for is not a high-end thing. Just having it work properly and having a proper sound interface is enough for me.
Are those Asus or Creative cards bad models?
A proper sound card with ALC1220 would be more than enough for me.

Did you try an older Realtek driver ? I had problems with the latest one, and reverted to the 2021 driver and no issues. Also a DAC is as big as a pack of cigarettes(my Fiio E10K for example) or about as a smartphone. No way space is an issue for anyone that is not living on the ISS or a submarine.
It is very difficult to find the DAC I want in Turkey. For this reason, I am eliminating it. If it was in stock, Creative has a DAC, I think it was E4, I would buy it, but it is not. For this reason, I am thinking of buying a sound card, but no one recommends it. I need a sound card with ALC1220.

Cooling Noctua NH-D15S upgraded with 2x NF-F12 iPPC-3000 fans and Honeywell PTM7950 TIM
Memory 32 GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 7600 MT/s 36-44-44-52-96 1.4V
Keyboard Generic PS/2
Unfortunately, what you mentioned is not in stock in my country. So I have to eliminate it.

Dang, no Apple Store or authorized retailer there? I can't speak for third party but the genuine Apple dongle just blew me away, I was really hesitating but an acquaintance kept insisting on it I decided to give it a shot, was not disappointed. Sure, it probably doesn't replace a proper DAC/amp, but until I can invest on better audio gear, it has made me happy.

The Realtek chip isn't the primary bottleneck to sound quality, though. It's the circuitry involved. Also, Realtek audio is... not the best. It's cost effective for motherboards, but preferably you want something with an XMOS chip and proper circuitry - Schiit, SMSL, Topping DAC/amp combo devices are great picks.

Last edited:
System Name HELLSTAR
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Software FEDORA 41
Dang, no Apple Store or authorized retailer there? I can't speak for third party but the genuine Apple dongle just blew me away, I was really hesitating but an acquaintance kept insisting on it I decided to give it a shot, was not disappointed. Sure, it probably doesn't replace a proper DAC/amp, but until I can invest on better audio gear, it has made me happy.
It seems to be available in the Turkish Apple store site for 340 TL. But there's and * on the EU version of the dongle as it doesn't supply as much power as the US one. And I don't know how the Asian version is, and also don't know which version would be the one available in Turkey. But the DAC part of the Apple dongle is nearly as good as you would want a DAC to be, and I'm pretty sure that part is the same regardless of the version.

Processor i7-13700k
Motherboard Asus Tuf Gaming z790-plus
Cooling Coolermaster Hyper 212 RGB
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB DDR5 7000mhz
Video Card(s) Asus Dual Geforce RTX 4070 Super ( 2800mhz @ 1.0volt, ~60mhz overlock -.1volts)
Storage 1x Samsung 980 Pro PCIe4 NVme, 2x Samsung 1tb 850evo SSD, 3x WD drives, 2 seagate
Display(s) Acer Predator XB273u 27inch IPS G-Sync 165hz
Power Supply Corsair RMx Series RM850x (OCZ Z series PSU retired after 13 years of service)
Mouse Logitech G502 hero
Keyboard Logitech G710+
I miss my SB X-FI platinum that i used for 10+ years but couldn't on the board i bought ;/

Case Corsair 5000X

The Realtek chip isn't the primary bottleneck to sound quality, though. It's the circuitry involved. Also, Realtek audio is... not the best. It's cost effective for motherboards, but preferably you want something with an XMOS chip and proper circuitry - Schiit, SMSL, Topping DAC/amp combo devices are great picks.
I had opened this thread on Toms and said that the current ALC4080 has a noise problem in the audio output.

Someone shared the following message with me;

"Its unfortunate that ASUS is so inconsistent at updating their website where updates are posted for one motherboard but not another motherboard with the same audio chip; perhaps they think that Realtek had already fixed those chips based on the date they received them. Since these updates only affect the audio chip they are independent of the motherboard:

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...9_ASUS.zip?model=ROG STRIX Z790-E GAMING WIFI
Fixed Line In volume of sound

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...5_ASUS.zip?model=ROG STRIX Z790-E GAMING WIFI
Fixed SPDIF playing music is noisy

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...5_ASUS.zip?model=ROG STRIX Z590-E GAMING WIFI
The 3rd update says that "Fixed Line Out playing music is noisy" so it may improve your sound.

Note that when you run the update installer it will tell you if your chip is older or already the same as the update and abort.

You could try these as a last resort right before you finalize your order for a new sound card."

It tells me to do the "Fixed Line Out playing music is noisy" Firmware update to fix the crackling sound problem.

Many ASUS Z690, Z790, X670, B650 motherboards use ALC4080. And they haven't shared all of this FW fix on each motherboard's page. Some only have SPDIF fixes. Some have fixes for all outputs.

Since the sound card is an independent chip from the motherboard, it suggested that I install this FW and test it to see if the problem is solved and if it is, I can avoid spending money on a DAC or sound card.

To be honest, there was a FW update on my motherboard's website for the sound cracking on the SPDIF output. But they didn't release it for the Normal "Line Out and Line In", but apparently other motherboards have these updates for the same ALC4080. Asus didn't put all of these on the motherboard pages!

I'll try this now. If it fixes my problem, it will save me from buying a DAC or a sound card. If it doesn't fix it, I'll buy a sound card or a DAC.

Keyboard Generic PS/2
It seems to be available in the Turkish Apple store site for 340 TL. But there's and * on the EU version of the dongle as it doesn't supply as much power as the US one. And I don't know how the Asian version is, and also don't know which version would be the one available in Turkey. But the DAC part of the Apple dongle is nearly as good as you would want a DAC to be, and I'm pretty sure that part is the same regardless of the version.

Well mine is Brazilian, I actually went to the physical store at the mall to buy it (a rarity these days). If anything things sold here should be the same as the US spec though.

In any case it's exactly this one

I had opened this thread on Toms and said that the current ALC4080 has a noise problem in the audio output.

Someone shared the following message with me;

"Its unfortunate that ASUS is so inconsistent at updating their website where updates are posted for one motherboard but not another motherboard with the same audio chip; perhaps they think that Realtek had already fixed those chips based on the date they received them. Since these updates only affect the audio chip they are independent of the motherboard:

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...9_ASUS.zip?model=ROG STRIX Z790-E GAMING WIFI
Fixed Line In volume of sound

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...5_ASUS.zip?model=ROG STRIX Z790-E GAMING WIFI
Fixed SPDIF playing music is noisy

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...5_ASUS.zip?model=ROG STRIX Z590-E GAMING WIFI
The 3rd update says that "Fixed Line Out playing music is noisy" so it may improve your sound.

Note that when you run the update installer it will tell you if your chip is older or already the same as the update and abort.

You could try these as a last resort right before you finalize your order for a new sound card."

It tells me to do the "Fixed Line Out playing music is noisy" Firmware update to fix the crackling sound problem.

Many ASUS Z690, Z790, X670, B650 motherboards use ALC4080. And they haven't shared all of this FW fix on each motherboard's page. Some only have SPDIF fixes. Some have fixes for all outputs.

Since the sound card is an independent chip from the motherboard, it suggested that I install this FW and test it to see if the problem is solved and if it is, I can avoid spending money on a DAC or sound card.

To be honest, there was a FW update on my motherboard's website for the sound cracking on the SPDIF output. But they didn't release it for the Normal "Line Out and Line In", but apparently other motherboards have these updates for the same ALC4080. Asus didn't put all of these on the motherboard pages!

I'll try this now. If it fixes my problem, it will save me from buying a DAC or a sound card. If it doesn't fix it, I'll buy a sound card or a DAC.

I can't say I've had noise problems on the Apex Encore (has ALC4080 chip) but it sounds muffled and flat to my taste. The NU sounded so much better, and so does the Apple dongle. I like powerful yet neutral sound.

System Name Still not a thread ripper but pretty good.
Processor Ryzen 9 7950x, Thermal Grizzly AM5 Offset Mounting Kit, Thermal Grizzly Extreme Paste
Motherboard ASRock B650 LiveMixer (BIOS/UEFI version P3.08, AGESA 1.2.0.2)
Cooling EK-Quantum Velocity, EK-Quantum Reflection PC-O11, D5 PWM, EK-CoolStream PE 360, XSPC TX360
Memory Micron DDR4-5600 ECC Unbuffered Memory (2 sticks, 64GB, MTC20C2085S1EC56BD1) + JONSBO NF-1
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 5700 & EK-Quantum Vector Radeon RX 5700 +XT & Backplate
Storage Samsung 4TB 980 PRO, 2 x Optane 905p 1.5TB (striped), AMD Radeon RAMDisk
Display(s) 2 x 4K LG 27UL600-W (and HUANUO Dual Monitor Mount)
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic Black (original model)
Audio Device(s) Corsair Commander Pro for Fans, RGB, & Temp Sensors (x4)
Power Supply Corsair RM750x
Mouse Logitech M575
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2
Software Windows 10 Professional (64bit)
Benchmark Scores RIP Ryzen 9 5950x, ASRock X570 Taichi (v1.06), 128GB Micron DDR4-3200 ECC UDIMM (18ASF4G72AZ-3G2F1)
Got it. All I want is a decent sound card that works with w11. Everyone recommends a DAC. I don't know what to do.
I just use bluetooth speakers or USB gaming headset and never had a problem with audio.

Sound from my monitor (through 3.5mm jack) sourced from DP or HDMI as worked well for me using AMD cards but I guess this also depends on your monitor and the quality of the connection with the jack.

Last edited:
Note: I do not want to buy a DAC because I do not want it to take up extra space.

Asus XONAR AE 7.1
Asus XONAR SE
Creative Audigy FX V2
Creative Sound Blaster RX
Any one of those would be a solid choice. I'm partial to the the SoundBlaster cards, but that's personal preference. IMHO, the Audigy FX is a great value!

Case Corsair 5000X
Well mine is Brazilian, I actually went to the physical store at the mall to buy it (a rarity these days). If anything things sold here should be the same as the US spec though.

In any case it's exactly this one

I can't say I've had noise problems on the Apex Encore (has ALC4080 chip) but it sounds muffled and flat to my taste. The NU sounded so much better, and so does the Apple dongle. I like powerful yet neutral sound.

I found the Creative SoundBlaster X4 and G6 second hand.

What if I choose one of these instead of the built-in sound card?

The prices are not too high and seem reasonable on the site I found.

Any one of those would be a solid choice. I'm partial to the the SoundBlaster cards, but that's personal preference. IMHO, the Audigy FX is a great value!
That was the first thing that came to my mind. I also wanted to buy the V2, but everyone said to buy a DAC. I found two DACs second hand.

Soundblaster G6 and X4.
What would happen if I chose one of these two?

Attachments

• hq720.jpg
    hq720.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 61-2YZBnPeL.jpg
    61-2YZBnPeL.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 10
Keyboard Generic PS/2
I found the Creative SoundBlaster X4 and G6 second hand.

What if I choose one of these instead of the built-in sound card?

The prices are not too high and seem reasonable on the site I found.

That was the first thing that came to my mind. I also wanted to buy the V2, but everyone said to buy a DAC. I found two DACs second hand.

Soundblaster G6 and X4.
What would happen if I chose one of these two?

The G6 is well regarded as a portable DAC, and should work on your PC. The X4 is pretty good as well, and even more suitable for desktop use. Whichever you choose, I reckon you will be satisfied. Between those two, I would go for the X4. Good luck! :)