• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sound Card suggestion to get rid of Realtek ALC4080

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 7900X3D
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B650E-E Gaming
Cooling ASUS ROG Strix LC III 360
Memory G.Skill 48GB(2x24) TZ5 Neo RGB EXPO 6400mhz CL32
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF RTX4070TI SUPER
Storage Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 2X2TB, Adata XPG SX8100 2X2TB,
Display(s) Dell 34" Curved Gaming Monitor S3422DWG
Case Corsair 5000X
Power Supply Corsair RM1000x SHIFT 80 PLUS Gold
Mouse Asus ROG Gladius II Core
Keyboard Asus ROG Strix Scope
I just use bluetooth speakers or USB gaming headset and never had a problem with audio.

Sound from my monitor (through 3.5mm jack) sourced from DP or HDMI as worked well for me using AMD cards but I guess this also depends on your monitor and the quality of the connection with the jack.
I don't know what quality the DAC in my monitor is. But I had another monitor in the past and used it for a while. It was not bad.

I found two DACs on second hand now.
Creative Soundblaster G6 and X4.
They seem to be reasonably priced and are clean products. I think I will choose one of these. If the firmware update doesn't fix my problem.

The G6 is well regarded as a portable DAC, and should work on your PC. The X4 is pretty good as well, and even more suitable for desktop use. Whichever you choose, I reckon you will be satisfied. Between those two, I would go for the X4. Good luck! :)
Thank you very much for your help.
Now first I will try to update the firmware.
If the sound cracks still occur then I will buy one of these two DACs.
X4 seems better to me too. At least since I am using a desktop computer.

When making the DAC connection, can I disable the motherboard's built-in sound card from the BIOS? First I will remove the drivers from the system. Then I will turn off the sound card from the BIOS. Then I will connect the DAC and install it, I guess.
I have never installed a DAC before.
In fact, the last time I used a sound card was in June 1999. I had a Soundblaster sound card from Creative. I bought it with a CD drive. I was using it with a Pentium III 650 and a Gigabyte BX2000+ motherboard.
I have never bought a sound card in 25 years. Until the ALC4080 :)

In essence it appears there are multiple issues of which audio is probably the hardest to ignore and most impacted. Strong reasoning exists to suspect the Asus mobo is especially prone towards amplifying or creating conditions for this to occur.

At it's core this is an enthusiast site where rebuilding and reconfiguring systems is considered fun. In no arranged order here are some good ideas.

1. Try another wall outlet. Or another wall outlet with a known functional powerstrip/UPS. Taking PC to a friend or relatives is also a good test.
2. You or someone you know proficiently using a multimeter to test everything from the wall outlet outwards. No programs, highly inaccurate and rely on inaccurate info.
3. Spend money on the solution you feel has the best chance of producing results.
4. If available try another PSU with your PC or a different PC in the immediate area of where yours is located.
5. Education. Example: ASIO audio driver traits versus typical audio drivers. One might even be present and unused on your mobo.
6. Digital audio programs/players can have a large effect by assessing and attempting to correct issues within the sphere intelligently programmed software can impact.
7. Completely disassemble and rebuild the system. Clean everything, examine everything, carefully insert everything back into place.
I did most of these steps.

But then I realized that ASUS has published patches on their websites for different motherboards that use the same audio chip. But for some reason they didn't put them on the website for the motherboard I'm using, even though it's the same chip.
I found a firmware fix. I'll try it.
If it fixes the problem, which I hope it does, then it's fine.
But if it doesn't, then I'll get a DAC.

System Name Cumquat 2021
Processor AMD RyZen R7 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus Strix X670E - E Gaming WIFI
Cooling Deep Cool LT720 + CM MasterGel Pro TP + Lian Li Uni Fan V2
Memory 32GB GSkill Trident Z5 Neo 6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ OC RX6800 16GB DDR6 2270Cclk / 2010Mclk
Storage 1x Adata SX8200PRO NVMe 1TB gen3 x4 1X Samsung 980 Pro NVMe Gen 4 x4 1TB, 12TB of HDD Storage
Display(s) AOC 24G2 IPS 144Hz FreeSync Premium 1920x1080p
Case Lian Li O11D XL ROG edition
Audio Device(s) RX6800 via HDMI + Pioneer VSX-531 amp Technics 100W 5.1 Speaker set
Power Supply EVGA 1000W G5 Gold
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core Wired
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless
Software Windows 11 X64 PRO (build 23H2)
Benchmark Scores it sucks even more less now ;)
There is a problem. Especially when the sound intensity is high, the sound cracks.
That sounds more like a shitty speaker problem you're over driving the input on them causing clipping (or the cracking sound you hear ) or it's down to using the wrong bit/Khz rate
16 bit 44.1Khz should sound fine as should 16bit 48KHz above that though you might just be running into speaker quality problems
I've got a ROG Strix X670E - E gaming wifi mobo with the same audio out as yours and mine runs fine not cracking at all even with heavy bass EDM/Drum n bass stuff it does a really nice job of it

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS A520M-K
Cooling Scythe Kotetsu Mark II
Memory 2 x 16GB SK Hynix CJR OEM DDR4-3200 @ 4000 20-22-20-48
Video Card(s) Colorful RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
Storage 250GB WD BLACK SN750 M.2 + 4TB WD Red Plus + 4TB WD Purple
Display(s) AOpen 27HC5R 27" 1080p 165Hz
Case COUGAR MX440 Mesh RGB
Audio Device(s) Creative SoundBlaster Z + Kurtzweil KS-40A bookshelf / Sennheiser HD555
Power Supply Great Wall GW-EPS1000DA 1kW
Mouse Razer Deathadder Essential
Keyboard Cougar Attack2 Cherry MX Black
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
I don't know what quality the DAC in my monitor is. But I had another monitor in the past and used it for a while. It was not bad.

I found two DACs on second hand now.
Creative Soundblaster G6 and X4.
They seem to be reasonably priced and are clean products. I think I will choose one of these. If the firmware update doesn't fix my problem.

Thank you very much for your help.
Now first I will try to update the firmware.
If the sound cracks still occur then I will buy one of these two DACs.
X4 seems better to me too. At least since I am using a desktop computer.

When making the DAC connection, can I disable the motherboard's built-in sound card from the BIOS? First I will remove the drivers from the system. Then I will turn off the sound card from the BIOS. Then I will connect the DAC and install it, I guess.
I have never installed a DAC before.
In fact, the last time I used a sound card was in June 1999. I had a Soundblaster sound card from Creative. I bought it with a CD drive. I was using it with a Pentium III 650 and a Gigabyte BX2000+ motherboard.
I have never bought a sound card in 25 years. Until the ALC4080 :)
SoundBlaster G6 looks great with discrete headphone out, but if I have to guess, other than that other DSP (DAC, ADC) and opamp should be the same. Creative are known to use the same chips over their various product stack, only adding bits here and there (like that G6 having discrete headamp instead of conventional opamp)

EDIT: I just found that X4 uses CS4382 DAC that is the same as X-Fi XtemeMusic, a good sounding DAC.

Yeah if you use other sound devices its best to disable onboard one, so it won't have any conflict which device to output sound.

Speaking of which, my SoundBlaster Z arrived today. From my test it sounds superb for MYR149 that I paid for it. If you can find one on a cheap (2nd hand or OEM version, mine is OEM without fancy red shroud and red LED)

sbz.jpg

System Name "Icy Resurrection"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 APEX ENCORE
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S upgraded with 2x NF-F12 iPPC-3000 fans and Honeywell PTM7950 TIM
Memory 32 GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 7600 MT/s 36-44-44-52-96 1.4V
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 500 GB WD Black SN750 SE NVMe SSD + 4 TB WD Red Plus WD40EFPX HDD
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Pichau Mancer CV500 White Edition
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Microsoft Classic Intellimouse
Keyboard Generic PS/2
Software Windows 11 IoT Enterprise LTSC 24H2
Benchmark Scores I pulled a Qiqi~
SoundBlaster G6 looks great with discrete headphone out, but if I have to guess, other than that other DSP (DAC, ADC) and opamp should be the same. Creative are known to use the same chips over their various product stack, only adding bits here and there (like that G6 having discrete headamp instead of conventional opamp)

EDIT: I just found that X4 uses CS4382 DAC that is the same as X-Fi XtemeMusic, a good sounding DAC.

Yeah if you use other sound devices its best to disable onboard one, so it won't have any conflict which device to output sound.

Speaking of which, my SoundBlaster Z arrived today. From my test it sounds superb for MYR149 that I paid for it. If you can find one on a cheap (2nd hand or OEM version, mine is OEM without fancy red shroud and red LED)

View attachment 362141

I had the Zx (a Z that comes with a volume control knob and red shroud that serves as EMI shielding) some 10 odd years ago. I imported it from the US Amazon :)

Very good for its low cost and the fact that it does not need external power. I'm glad to see it still holds up. Mine started stuttering inexplicably and I gave it to my brother, he still has it on his rig, apparently it worked just fine for him.

Case Corsair 5000X
That sounds more like a shitty speaker problem you're over driving the input on them causing clipping (or the cracking sound you hear ) or it's down to using the wrong bit/Khz rate
16 bit 44.1Khz should sound fine as should 16bit 48KHz above that though you might just be running into speaker quality problems
I've got a ROG Strix X670E - E gaming wifi mobo with the same audio out as yours and mine runs fine not cracking at all even with heavy bass EDM/Drum n bass stuff it does a really nice job of it
I tried different speakers. But the problem is always the same. It didn't change.

So the problem seems to be in the sound chip rather than the speaker. So I eliminated that possibility. But there is something like this
Many Asus motherboards using the same ALC4080i had a cracking sound problem.
Some have problems with SPDIF and some with LineIn/LineOut analog inputs. They have published a firmware update for this in the driver section of the motherboard web pages.
I will now update the firmware and try to see if the same problem persists.
Let's see what happens.
My old motherboard had an ALC1220 and I was getting a very clear and clean sound.

View attachment 362141
Hello, does the Soundblaster Z have Windows 11 support?
I know it doesn't. I can find this sound card second hand but I'm worried about the driver.

@Orodruin, well the 1220 is Realtek's best chip, and some of the USB ones come with ESS Sabre audiophile grade DAC's.
I pass I don't use analogue, I can not recommend any DAC and amp, I don't like the legacy design.

I'm running S1220A SPDIF, so I have 0 complaints to make, other than channel limit imposed by Realtek's transmitter.
I can use any SPDIF soundcard, the conversion takes place in my sound system, not the card.

Buying a £80-200 sound card is a waste of money for me, same SPDIF out.

----

I will show you an image of a design I am working on (cba making another image), where you see PowerDAC, just imagine a DAC and amp.

DMAS.png

In legacy analogue out, the DAC and amp is in the first device on the left.

Not to scale, lol. DAC = digital to analogue converter.

----

SA9227 USB To SPDIF Optical I2S 32BIT 384K DSD256 Support AC3, DTS, DOLBY Digital Source Output - AliExpress 44
Some cheap item I found randomly with 32 bit SPDIF and other, cheap to make, no DAC ofc.

Certainly not £200. Has a legacy SPDIF 2 channel transmitter mind.

If it had an 8 channel transmitter, it would be able to handle all current formats (as per current SPDIF standard).
Below is an image of what a SPDIF device could show if it had an 8+ channel transmitter.

I would guess the original SPDIF 3.1 Mbits/s was limited by I2C (3.4m), but that's a pure guess.

Attachments

• Formats.png
    Formats.png
    16 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
System Name Sleepy Painter
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus TuF Gaming X570-PLUS/WIFI
Cooling FSP Windale 6 - Passive
Memory 2x16GB F4-3600C16-16GVKC @ 16-19-21-36-58-1T
Video Card(s) MSI RX580 8GB
Storage 2x Samsung PM963 960GB nVME RAID0, Crucial BX500 1TB SATA, WD Blue 3D 2TB SATA
Display(s) Microboard 32" Curved 1080P 144hz VA w/ Freesync
Case NZXT Gamma Classic Black
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D1
Power Supply Rosewill 1KW on 240V@60hz
Mouse Logitech MX518 Legend
Keyboard Red Dragon K552
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 2019 LTSC 1809 17763.1757
[Re:OP]
Sound Cards are classy (but, not the 'best' solution)
Personally, I've been very happy with my Xonars. I settled in on an old STX, and could never go back to onboard or even Creative.

Still, I cannot argue against a quality external DAC over optical or EMI-mitigated USB.
(Inside a PC, near the GPU, is a very 'noisy' operating environment, after all)

Motherboard ASUS A520M-K
Audio Device(s) Creative SoundBlaster Z + Kurtzweil KS-40A bookshelf / Sennheiser HD555
I know it doesn't. I can find this sound card second hand but I'm worried about the driver.
It does support Windows 11, the reason why I suggest you buying. Here's the list of cards that supports Windows 11 under Creative.

sbz.JPG

That was the first thing that came to my mind. I also wanted to buy the V2, but everyone said to buy a DAC. I found two DACs second hand.

Soundblaster G6 and X4.
What would happen if I chose one of these two?
The OP specifically stated they did not want an external DAC.

This! Always. Never use both.

Last edited:
System Name Kuro
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D@65W
Motherboard MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk WiFi
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO
Memory Corsair DDR5 6000C30 2x48GB (Hynix M)@6000 30-36-36-48 1.36V
Video Card(s) PNY XLR8 RTX 4070 Ti SUPER 16G@200W
Storage Crucial T500 2TB + WD Blue 8TB
Case Lian Li LANCOOL 216
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster AE-7
Power Supply MSI MPG A850G
Software Ubuntu 24.04 LTS + Windows 10 Home Build 19045
Benchmark Scores 17761 C23 Multi@65W
Speaking as someone who uses both the same ALC4080 on the motherboard and an internal sound card in different OS due to driver support issues, I'd say this could be, under many circumstances, an old wisdom that no longer applies. In my experience, modern Windows handles multiple audio devices just fine, for all its other failings.

This may have something to do with the fact that ALC4080 is basically itself an USB DAC internally connected to the chipset, which is incidentially the only way I got any audio out at all under Ubuntu, after I was forced to exclude the kernel module for I2C/I2S audio to even boot with discrete sound card installed, when it turned out to have an undocumented hardware revision that screwed up Linux support so Royally that there is no fix in sight nor expected.

Incidentally, I wouldn't recommend my specific sound card to the OP, if they ever intend to go Linux.

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
I can share a story for the OP to realize this is fruitless. I was a proud owner of those Asus Xonar sound cards I had the PCI and PCIe version and loved them. From ALC 1220 the MB sound drivers have been just fine but I started lamenting my sound card and paid $80 CAD for the Asus Xonar AE which seemed like an upgrade over my 4080. Of course there is no Windows driver for that newer than Windows 7 on the Asus website. I lamented about it here on TPU and someone directed me to Github. I was indeed able to find a driver that worked with Windows 10 but the sound produced was richer but had a much lower signal as that is tied to ALC 893. A USB DAC would even give you a better siganl than a Sound card but get the proper speakers and 4080 will shine. I am using the Creative Stage 2.1 and love it.

I tried different speakers. But the problem is always the same. It didn't change.

So the problem seems to be in the sound chip rather than the speaker. So I eliminated that possibility. But there is something like this
Many Asus motherboards using the same ALC4080i had a cracking sound problem.
Some have problems with SPDIF and some with LineIn/LineOut analog inputs. They have published a firmware update for this in the driver section of the motherboard web pages.
I will now update the firmware and try to see if the same problem persists.
Let's see what happens.
My old motherboard had an ALC1220 and I was getting a very clear and clean sound.

If you just want decent sound, low cost with no driver issues, the apple dac or chinese clone, works great. I use this one...paired with powered speakers, it does great.

dacsmall.jpg

Last edited:

Pacmanpc

If you just want decent sound, low cost with no driver issues, the apple dac or chinese clone, works great. I use this one...paired with powered speakers, it does great.

View attachment 362227
what speakers do you use with this? do you need a splitter or adapter?

System Name Main PC
Processor 13700k
Motherboard Asrock Z690 Steel Legend D4 - Bios 13.02
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32 Gig 3200CL14
Video Card(s) 4080 RTX SUPER FE 16G
Storage 1TB 980 PRO, 2TB SN850X, 2TB DC P4600, 1TB 860 EVO, 2x 3TB WD Red, 2x 4TB WD Red
Display(s) LG 27GL850
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster AE-9
Power Supply Antec HCG 750 Gold
Software Windows 10 21H2 LTSC
I tried to find info on the Xonar AE as I thought Asus had completely abandoned discrete sound cards, interestingly I found a thread titled "Xonar AE why scarce info" which seems fitting, as it seemed to be stealth launched or something.

So my comment on Xonar is Asus have a bad record with supporting their sound card products, older flagships like the D2X didnt even get Windows 10 support, people relied on the custom UNI Xonar drivers, I did find threads asking where the Windows 11 support for the Xonar AE is.

In terms of my Xonar D2X, it was a decent enough sound card, the software is basic, but sometimes basic is better, although the control panel on the custom drivers was better than Asus control panel, however this doesnt transfer to the AE as I literally cannot find detailed info about the card, its SNR rating is lower than the older D2X, it has the same output range, built in headphones amp which the D2X didnt have.

Never heard of the RX either. Looks to be fairly low end, unlike the AE it seems it did get sent out to reviewers, same chip as the 2005 Audigy 4, review I read claims its worse quality than onboard, and has no EMI protection. Its SNR ratio is even worse than the AE.

Based on what I found I would at least say the AE beats the RX as an option.

What's decent enough for you? If you're not into that "audiophile" cr@p the sound from your monitor (through 3.5mm jack) should be enough.

The vast majority probably are. Onboard audio has been decent enough for at least a decade if not more. Also those sound issues usually aren't normal unless you also have some other troublesome component on the board.
Seems a lot of boards do still come with the now very old ALC892 sadly (mine included). For me it is pretty bad compared to the audio quality I am used to.

The OP specifically stated they did not what an external DAC.

I figured there would be DAC replies in here. :)

Last edited:
Storage 2x Samsung PM963 960GB nVME RAID0, Crucial BX500 1TB SATA, WD Blue 3D 2TB SATA
Keyboard Red Dragon K552
I can share a story for the OP to realize this is fruitless. I was a proud owner of those Asus Xonar sound cards I had the PCI and PCIe version and loved them. From ALC 1220 the MB sound drivers have been just fine but I started lamenting my sound card and paid $80 CAD for the Asus Xonar AE which seemed like an upgrade over my 4080. Of course there is no Windows driver for that newer than Windows 7 on the Asus website. I lamented about it here on TPU and someone directed me to Github. I was indeed able to find a driver that worked with Windows 10 but the sound produced was richer but had a much lower signal as that is tied to ALC 893. A USB DAC would even give you a better siganl than a Sound card but get the proper speakers and 4080 will shine. I am using the Creative Stage 2.1 and love it.
top result w/ a 2nd-rate search engine.
1725610708223.png

So my comment on Xonar is Asus have a bad record with supporting their sound card products, older flagships like the D2X didnt even get Windows 10 support, people relied on the custom UNI Xonar drivers, I did find threads asking where the Windows 11 support for the Xonar AE is.
I've been using the UNi Xonar drivers since windows 7. I've had/have 4 or 5 PCI and PCIe Xonars before my STX. Those drivers are all I've ever used.

Case Corsair 5000X
Asus XONAR AE 7.1
Asus XONAR SE
Creative Audigy FX V2
Creative Sound Blaster RX

I can buy any of these 4 models as an internal sound card. In fact, one of them sells the Xonar SE at a very very affordable price. Other than these, I can buy a Creative G6 or x4 DAC. They are available second hand.

I have no other option than these.
I use a creative t3300 as a speaker. But I can afford to buy a Razer Nommo V2.
First, I want to change the sound card.
There is a sound cracking problem at a certain frequency.
I tried different speakers but it doesn't seem to be fixed.

I don't have much technical details about sound cards.
My goal is to buy a stable and decent sound chip like the previous sound chip ALC1220.
I want to buy it, put it in the PC, forget it and use it for many years.

@LabRat 891
@chrcoluk
@Pacmanpc
@Blue4130
@kapone32
@JWNoctis
@Ferather
@Dr. Dro
@Apocalypsee
@Athlonite

Last edited:
Keyboard Red Dragon K552
Asus XONAR AE 7.1
Asus XONAR SE
Creative Audigy FX V2
Creative Sound Blaster RX

I can buy any of these 4 models as an internal sound card. In fact, one of them sells the Xonar SE at a very very affordable price. They are available second hand.
IMHO:
1725613101833.png
-is the "best" option presented, for an internal card. The "SE" should be affordable, it's a pretty 'basic' card.
Neither are supported by UNi, but both have Asus 1st party Win11 driver support.

My goal is to buy a stable and decent sound chip like the previous sound chip ALC1220.
I want to buy it, put it in the PC, forget it and use it for many years.
Other than these, I can buy a Creative G6 or x4 DAC
Given your goals, the Creative G6 would be my choice.
The G6's CS43131, doesn't seem bad. Plus, USB Audio Class devices are pretty much universally compatible, and expected to be backwards/forwards compatible, into the future.
Meaning: no worries about driver incompatibility in years to come. Maybe the full-feature software suite won't be supported, but the hardware will continue to work.

I'd keep it semi-separate (velcro'd to desk?), but there's nothing stopping you from velcro'ing or epoxy'ing the DAC onto/into the case, and/or using an internal header.

As I mentioned I am not able to recommend anything, other than SPDIF. I used to have a Creative X-Fi Fatality Champion series, SPDIF was no different to ALC 889.
Now I have an S1220A the PCM processing is better, and no doubt the SPDIF parts are a higher quality (no, or less jitter, bit slipping).

Would I buy the Creative X-Fi over an S1220A, no, but I might have considered it if I was using legacy analogue.

Motherboard ASUS A520M-K
IMHO:
View attachment 362267
-is the "best" option presented, for an internal card. The "SE" should be affordable, it's a pretty 'basic' card.
Neither are supported by UNi, but both have Asus 1st party Win11 driver support.

The G6's CS43131, doesn't seem bad. Plus, USB Audio Class devices are pretty much universally compatible, and expected to be backwards/forwards compatible, into the future.
Meaning: no worries about driver incompatibility in years to come. Maybe the full-feature software suite won't be supported, but the hardware will continue to work.

I'd keep it semi-separate (velcro'd to desk?), but there's nothing stopping you from velcro'ing or epoxy'ing the DAC onto/into the case, and/or using an internal header.
I second this guy opinion. Didn't know Xonar AE got Windows 11 driver which should be good, on paper it looks the best spec-wise, driver I don't know. I used to have Xonar HDAV1.3 I really didn't like their driver.

Honestly any of those you mention would be good really, it's just a matter of you wanted internal card or external DAC, ASUS driver or Creative driver.

To save on confusion its internal DAC or external DAC, both have and need a DAC, lol. SPDIF is the original audio connecter for external DAC (1983).

System Name Desktop
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI X670E MEG ACE
Cooling Corsair XC7 Block / Corsair XG7 Block EK 360PE Radiator EK 120XE Radiator 8x EK Vadar Furious Fans
Memory 64GB TeamGroup T-Create Expert DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio
Storage 1TB WD Black SN850 / 4TB Inland Premium / 8TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Alienware AW3821DW / ASUS TUF VG279QM
Case Lian-Li Dynamic 011 XL ROG
Audio Device(s) Razer Nommo Pro Speakers / Creative AE-9 w/ Audio-Technica ATH-R70X
Power Supply EVGA P2 1200W Platinum
Mouse Razer Viper, Logitech G600
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Elite
I have been watching this thread and am finally able to sit down to review what you have available to you.

Creative Audigy FX V2. It has the most recent driver support as of May 2024.

The Sound Blaster RX was last updated in February 2022. Last update was 4 years prior.

Asus Xonar AE 7.1 was last updated December 2020. They list the driver as Windows 10. This should work with Windows 11.

Asus Xonar SE was last updated July 2022 and it does support Windows 11.

If you need Optical Audio, then I would recommend the Sound Blaster RX.

If you don't need optical audio, I would recommend the Audigy FX V2. You can get an optional daughter board for the FX V2 for Optical Audio, but I don't know the availability of this in your country.

As I have experienced a few times over the years, windows updates or lack of support for a newer OS, I would go with the card with the newest driver support. Once a sound card is working properly, you don't really need to mess with it.

As someone mentioned before, ASUS has in the past randomly dropped support for their cards. That's why I got rid of my Xonar Xense, they didn't have official Windows 10 support when I upgraded my OS at the time and I had to use the UNi drivers, which were buggy for me and didn't work properly with the card.

The Sound Blaster G6 I had would often randomly disconnect and it would get excessively hot as in hot to the touch, almost burning.

I have used quite a few sound cards over the years.

Sound Blaster 16, Sound Blaster Live, Audigy 1-4, X-Fi Fatality, Sound Blaster Z, G6, AE-5, AE-9 (current)

Xonar Xense

Auzentech X-Fi Prelude

EVGA Nu Audio Pro (EVGA stopped driver support at Windows 10 and an update to Windows 11 made it such that the control panel no longer functions to control the card. EVGA has yet to resolve this issue, and I sold the card.)

Sennheiser GSX 1000

Creative did the same to the X-Fi after Win7, its not just Asus. If it was working why did Windows change?
There is only Creative and Asus as main producers, not much to go by for options.

Auzentech is using Creative to my knowledge.

System Name Desktop
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI X670E MEG ACE
Cooling Corsair XC7 Block / Corsair XG7 Block EK 360PE Radiator EK 120XE Radiator 8x EK Vadar Furious Fans
Memory 64GB TeamGroup T-Create Expert DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio
Storage 1TB WD Black SN850 / 4TB Inland Premium / 8TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Alienware AW3821DW / ASUS TUF VG279QM
Case Lian-Li Dynamic 011 XL ROG
Audio Device(s) Razer Nommo Pro Speakers / Creative AE-9 w/ Audio-Technica ATH-R70X
Power Supply EVGA P2 1200W Platinum
Mouse Razer Viper, Logitech G600
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Elite
Creative did the same to the X-Fi after Win7, its not just Asus. If it was working why did Windows change?
Exactly, I am aware of Creative doing the same thing, the Audigy 4 was like that when Windows Vista came out. It was hit or miss if it worked properly. Windows 7 made it even more hit or miss, mostly miss in my case.

You'd have to ask Microsoft what they changed. After XP and starting with Vista/7 they dropped all hardware acceleration for audio. That's why your EAX and similar functions of legacy cards no longer work. Creative came out with OpenAL to help translate those hardware functions to meet the demands of the new audio engine Windows implemented. At the time, Vortex, Realtek, and others didn't have anything. At one-point Realtek did something similar, but it was short lived.

Being that the audio engine is software based now, I would imagine that those OS updates can affect that over time. Though this isn't the purpose of this thread, and I'd rather not get off topic.

Its been a while since I have used Creative products, but I remember X-Fi drivers as bespoke, enough that they use their own system in the drivers.
I remember its PCI audio not HDA (which is already a problem), and it not using the standard audio engine (no LFX, GFX).

Both are likely the reason they have issues, even the DTS-Dolby was speaker to converter to SPDIF using a custom service, not the engine.

Later models probably dropped the custom driver and use the engine properly, no idea.

Might also be protected AudioDG, and Creative-Asus using custom codes they can not execute under protection, same as Equalizer APO.

Case Corsair 5000X
IMHO:
View attachment 362267

Someone is selling a Xonar Se for $25 second hand.

Do you think it can be bought second hand for this price?
Of course, I can also choose the other Creative G6 DAC or the Soundblaster Fx v2.
I have a few options.
By the way, there are also Soundblaster Z and ZX models as second hand.
If there is no driver problem, I can buy one of these.
I am very confused.

As I mentioned I am not able to recommend anything, other than SPDIF. I used to have a Creative X-Fi Fatality Champion series, SPDIF was no different to ALC 889.
Now I have an S1220A the PCM processing is better, and no doubt the SPDIF parts are a higher quality (no, or less jitter, bit slipping).

Would I buy the Creative X-Fi over an S1220A, no, but I might have considered it if I was using legacy analogue.
I don't have a device that I can connect SPDIF to. So if I want to use spdif I may have to buy a sound system with spdif output.