• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel's Silver Lining is $8.5 Billion CHIPS Act Funding, Possibly by the End of the Year

System Name Planet Espresso
Processor 13700KF @ 5.4GHZ UV - 220W cap
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit EVO
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2TB WD SN850, 4TB WD SN850X
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case Jonsbo Z20
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard 65% HE Keyboard
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
Last I checked, none or maybe very little of the chips used are build in new advanced process.

Hell, Intel doesnt have crap right now, so whatever is that the Gov is using, I'm pretty sure that the others can either match or use some of that sweet free Gov money to upgrade.

The thing is, once again, everyone making excuses for poor ol'Intel.

They should be allowed to die and the other american companies to pick the necessary parts (in this case, eng and fabs and patents) from Intel carcass.
You mean like we let AMD(Glofo) and Texas instruments flounder? they really came back (not). That tactic sounds really cool but it doesn't actually work when the competition has unlimited money that they're willing to invest. I get what you're saying, and I totally appreciate the sentiment -- but that only works in a true free/fair market. Semiconductors are not a fair market.

1727467420978.png

System Name GameStation
Processor AMD R5 5600X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550
Cooling Artic Freezer II 120
Memory 16 GB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900 XTX
Storage 2 TB SSD
Case Cooler Master Elite 120
You mean like we let AMD(Glofo) and Texas instruments flounder? they really came back (not). That tactic sounds really cool but it doesn't actually work when the competition has unlimited money that they're willing to invest.

View attachment 365052
Did we gave them money like we are giving Intel?
I believe that I mentioned that and to repeat, I havent heard neither of the other companies with foundries in the US of receiving a penny.
So I dont understand your post.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs, 24TB Enterprise drives
Display(s) 55" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
Those foundries are all over 10nm, samsung is shipping 14nm in the USA, with the exception of IBM, but not sure if anyone knows what they're up to. Glofo is shipping 12nm, and TSMC is accused of purposely dragging their feet on the 4nm Arizona fab construction despite getting CHIPS act money, and negotiating for more money as they stall.

Intel 18A (1.8nm) is expected to enter mass production in 2025 - the same time the 4nm TSMC facility will come online.

Intels 18a node is a best case scenario measurement, I fully agree it will be twice what TSMC has in production but we are nearing the pointless numbers where power delivery and packaging, ability to stack chips is the only path forward.

Having the chiplet on one side of the silicon with power delivery and cache and the CPU cores on the other side and packaging it will be the next big thing. Stacking more cache on is the next.

System Name Planet Espresso
Processor 13700KF @ 5.4GHZ UV - 220W cap
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit EVO
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2TB WD SN850, 4TB WD SN850X
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case Jonsbo Z20
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard 65% HE Keyboard
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
I believe that I mentioned that and to repeat, I havent heard neither of the other companies with foundries in the US of receiving a penny.
1727467683952.png

Source:

They're all getting money -- everyone that manufactures locally. TSMC is getting 6.6 billion for Arizona.

Last edited:

Good selective listening.

Processor i5-6600K
Motherboard Asus Z170A
Cooling some cheap Cooler Master Hyper 103 or similar
Memory 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
Display(s) 2x Oldell 24" 1920x1200
Case Bitfenix Nova white windowless non-mesh
Audio Device(s) E-mu 1212m PCI
Power Supply Seasonic G-360
Mouse Logitech Marble trackball, never had a mouse
Keyboard Key Tronic KT2000, no Win key because 1994
Software Oldwin
$8, 500,000,000 will seem like pocket change when Intel starts building 14A fabs (and looking for sponsors, that's beyond doubt now).

cfenton

Every day another story to Pump Intel ?

The bottom line is their main products aren't competitive anymore. Unless they have another breakthrough like Core in 2006, they're doomed to decline no matter how much money the government bungs at them.

How are they not competitive? They aren't dominant anymore, but their current consumer line up trades blows with AMD and Apple, which are their main competitors.

Ahem, AMD has been in the red half the time this century: https://ycharts.com/companies/AMD/net_income_annual
Stuff happens.
But they didn't take any government money or at least no more than usual.

I feel like my post, "Government GIVING money to FAILING companies" isn't being taken as an entire statement. I keep reading other companies get money and AMD has failed at times. Both conditions must be met.

System Name Main
Processor Ryzen 5950x
Motherboard B550 PG Velocita
Cooling Water
Memory Ballistix
Video Card(s) RX 6900XT
Storage T-FORCE CARDEA A440 PRO
Display(s) MAG401QR
Case QUBE 500
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z623
Power Supply LEADEX V 1KW
Mouse Cooler Master MM710
Keyboard Huntsman Elite
Software 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://hwbot.org/user/damric/
When they say this is for military, it made me chuckle, as veterans know that almost the entirety of U.S. military electronics use very old nodes because they are more stable and less susceptible to EM warfare. Hell, our naval nuclear plants are using almost all analog circuits.

But that's fine, borrow more money from the future of our kids and grandkids as you run up the debt to feed the wallets of these fat cats. No one will notice.

System Name :)
Processor Intel 13700k
Motherboard Gigabyte z790 UD AC
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 64GB GSKILL DDR5
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC
Storage 960GB Optane 905P U.2 SSD + 4TB PCIe4 U.2 SSD
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DW 175Hz QD-OLED + Nixeus 27" IPS 1440p 144Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) MOTU M4 - JBL 305P MKII w/2x JL Audio 10 Sealed --- X-Fi Titanium HD - Presonus Eris E5 - JBL 4412
Power Supply Silverstone 1000W
Mouse Roccat Kain 122 AIMO
Keyboard KBD67 Lite / Mammoth75
VR HMD Reverb G2 V2
Software Win 11 Pro

I feel like my post, "Government GIVING money to FAILING companies" isn't being taken as an entire statement. I keep reading other companies get money and AMD has failed at times. Both conditions must be met.

Maybe they should've kept their foundries. :laugh:
Why would you fund a company that doesn't make anything. They can design all they want. If they can't make/fabricate it due to Geo-political issues, there's no value.
I have no doubt that given the current political climate, if AMD still had fabs, they would be getting their share just like TSMC, Intel, et al.
Technically GloFlo is on the list too, so you could argue that AMD is getting money too. :laugh:

Last edited:
Nobody says much about this.

System Name Nebulon B
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 24 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-4800
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 6750 XT 12 GB
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 2.1 speakers, AKG Y50 headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
Imagine being AMD and having the upper hand over your rival for the first time in 20 years. Then the government steps in and gives them billions while they still have 70%+ market share.

Intel sell chips at below the price they need to develop future fabs (hence the insane losses their fabs have reported). The government is going to foot the bill for it. But mainly Intel will profit from it. For DoD purposes Samsung and TSMC fabs in the US are just as good, if not better.
Yeah, I wonder if that'll change and AMD gets similar support from the US gov once TSMC's Arizona fab opens (which might happen never at this rate, who knows).

View attachment 365054
Source:

They're all getting money -- everyone that manufactures locally. TSMC is getting 6.6 billion for Arizona.
Ah, so is it manufacturers that get the money, not chip designers?

When they say this is for military, it made me chuckle, as veterans know that almost the entirety of U.S. military electronics use very old nodes because they are more stable and less susceptible to EM warfare. Hell, our naval nuclear plants are using almost all analog circuits.

But that's fine, borrow more money from the future of our kids and grandkids as you run up the debt to feed the wallets of these fat cats. No one will notice.
the stuff that is used in the field is made with older reliable nodes.
how ever much of todays security is done in data centres where they process and store huge amounts of captured video and other data like credit card transactions.
thats where they need the newest and best technology and also where the competition has taken the lead.

they also don’t like it that he competition might have a back door in the nations infrastructure dauhua camera systems huawei routers and transceivers…
all of those things are made on the latest and greatest nodes

which as a domestic player only intel is capable of making.

also keep in mind that these small nodes are very very hard to manufacture.
samsung which basically is half of South Korea struggles with it whiles getting hundreds of billions of won to prop it up.
tsmc that is lucky it’s struggling to advance while at the top while getting infinit money from both intel nvidia and Apple. probably some sweetheart deals from their government to and of-course us chips act billions

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) Temporary MSI RTX 4070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Temporary Viewsonic 4K 60 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10

Yes, the whole idea behind the CHIPS Act is to bring chip manufacturing to the US. It's due to the ongoing concern of what might happen if China made a military move against Taiwan. The effect on the West would be immense if Taiwan was taken out of the chip supply chain. How successful this effort will be remains to be seen. Personally, I haven't been comfortable for a long time with so much manufacturing being centralized in that region so I hope it bears fruit.

Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar b650m wifi
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengeance 30CL6000
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Lexar NM790 4TB + Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial BX100 250GB
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Lian Li A3 mATX White
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W11 IoT Enterprise LTSC
How are they not competitive? They aren't dominant anymore, but their current consumer line up trades blows with AMD and Apple, which are their main competitors.
Competitive on a tech forum just applies to whichever company dominates the top benchmark spot. There is always just one competitive company, the rest is pretty much dead. This can change daily, based on the latest news post that appeared.

Processor i5-6600K
Motherboard Asus Z170A
Cooling some cheap Cooler Master Hyper 103 or similar
Memory 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
Display(s) 2x Oldell 24" 1920x1200
Case Bitfenix Nova white windowless non-mesh
Audio Device(s) E-mu 1212m PCI
Power Supply Seasonic G-360
Mouse Logitech Marble trackball, never had a mouse
Keyboard Key Tronic KT2000, no Win key because 1994
Software Oldwin
Don't forget packaging plants. Those are very high tech lately, and very much in short supply.

For example, the technology to press two chips together and make them stick without glue or solder is... well, it sounds almost like cold fusion. But that's what makes 3D V-cache work.

System Name Nebulon B
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 24 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-4800
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 6750 XT 12 GB
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 2.1 speakers, AKG Y50 headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
Competitive on a tech forum just applies to whichever company dominates the top benchmark spot. There is always just one competitive company, the rest is pretty much dead. This can change daily, based on the latest news post that appeared.
"Competitive" means things that sell. Or am I getting it wrong?

Yes but if you are also a chip designer, you can put more internal revenue towards chip development and less toward manufacturing because of receiving government handouts. This gives chip designers with fabs an unfair advantage.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
That would be enough to lift everyone in the USA out of poverty.

Priorities..
$8.5bn/333mn=$25.5. Try again.

Mubdala group practically brought AMD back from the brink of bankruptcy. That's govt money from Abu Dhabi: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mubadala_Investment_Company

Hmm... SMIC, Zhaoxin, Huawei, BYD, and several hundred others would like to challenge that title.
From the above mentioned, which company was a top leading semiconductor manufacturer and processor designer for decades? Not a single one, they are basically doing catchup.
Intel fu**ed up, that's all, but at worst they will go AMD route and will survive easily. The Intel foundries are a bigger problem and a very costly one.

Yeah, China is investing heavily into their semiconductor industry. They would be stupid, If they didn't do that and It's not like they are the only ones investing heavily in this industry.

tfp

Yes but if you are also a chip designer, you can put more internal revenue towards chip development and less toward manufacturing because of receiving government handouts. This gives chip designers with fabs an unfair advantage.

And you think this because Intel and others are building Fabs that cost less than the amounts of CHIPS fund they are receiving?

While there is no real proof one way or another I don't expect company building fabs right now would be doing as many or as quickly with out the world wide level of government money many of these companies are receiving. And this is on top of the standard allotment that governments in Asia and elsewhere pay out to "stay ahead".

From the above mentioned, which company was a top leading semiconductor manufacturer and processor designer for decades? Not a single one, they are basically doing catchup.
Yeah, China is investing heavily into their semiconductor industry, so what? They would be stupid, If they didn't do that and It's not like they are the only ones doing It.
Right I don't understand the mentality that is being shown here. It's ok if West Taiwan, S Korea, and Taiwan give hand outs but it's not OK for the US or Europe? Maybe it's OK only if Intel doesn't get that money.

Right I don't understand the mentality that is being shown here. It's ok if West Taiwan, S Korea, and Taiwan give hand outs but it's not OK for the US or Europe? Maybe it's OK only if Intel doesn't get that money.
I think the point is that Intel is in a bad situation or to be more specific Its foundries.
I honestly don't care If US will support It or not, because I am not an American, but I care that EU instead of building It's own semiconductor foundry is paying foreign companies to build their own here.

freeagent

Staff member
Processor AMD R7 5800X3D
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Thermalright Frozen Edge 360, 3x TL-B12 V2, 2x TL-B12 V1
Memory 2x8 G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3200C14, 2x8GB G.Skill Trident Z Black and White 3200 C14
Video Card(s) Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC
Storage WD SN850 1TB, SN850X 2TB, SN770 1TB
Display(s) LG 50UP7100
Case Fractal Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) JBL Bar 700
Power Supply Seasonic Vertex GX-1000, Monster HDP1800
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Logitech G213
VR HMD Oculus 3
Software Yes
Benchmark Scores Yes
$8.5bn/333mn=$25.5. Try again.
Are you, and a couple of the other guys saying there is 333m people living in poverty in the USA?

Either need to get real, or learn to read. Poverty to me, means homeless, no food, no internet, no water.

Not money for your computer parts.