• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

[INTEL]-How To Update Your Microcode for Intel HX 13/14th Gen. CPUs Laptops/Mobile Easily.

Lalaquesle

I am happy to see that it give benefits to you and to all other people. I have an ASUS ROG Strix G16 so I am not too far off and it's similar to your G18. You undervolts are amazing especially for an i9. I got an i7 one with this kind of aggressive undervolt too :)
View attachment 365758

I also use the latest Intel ME FW from the same link you shared since the January of 2024 :) Thank you so much for reporting and providing this kind of details and passion.. :respect: I have been silenced and shamed and I even received threats through PM's on ASUS forums for daring to accuse ASUS for not providing BIOS updates with the included the required fixes & the required Intel ME FW & Microcode for Intel HX CPUs like Lenovo, Dell did for there laptop line up with Intel HX CPUs.

If you don't want to limit your frequency and get some of the lost performance back due to limits you applied on your CPU frequency, you can follow this to apply voltage limit cap. and it won't allow your CPU to go above the limit that you have chose ;) The guide is here... Definitive 13th/14th gen Intel HX CPU 1.4v Cap Guide, all brands of course there's always a risk doing that so I recommend to do it only if you know what your are doing ;)

Thank you! I really appreciate your kindness :respect: glad you liked the Intel WiFi modded drivers, check out the killer suite too! :toast:

You haven't seen the modded NVMe driver yet? ;) Solidigm NVMe Custom Modded Driver for All NVMe Brands SSDs & Any NVMe SSDs . Works amazingly well :)
Your undervolt is one of the biggest I've ever seen, very impressive. I didn't know it was possible to access hidden parts of the Bios, could you share the link to the files needed to access? The ones on Github are out. And as there is no configuration file ready for Asus, maybe you could share and show how it's done?

System Name Asus TUF Gaming FA506IU Laptop
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 4800H with Radeon Graphics
Motherboard AMD K17.6 FCH, AMD K17.6 IMC
Cooling Dual Fans Design with Self-Cleaning Cooling
Memory Samsung DRR4 - 3200Mhz 16GB(8GBx2)
Video Card(s) GeForce GTX 1660 Ti (6 GB)
Storage WDC PC SN530 SDBPNPZ-256G-1002 + SHGP31-500GM-2 + ST1000LM035-1RK172
Display(s) LM156LF-2F03 144HZ Adaptive SYNC
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC256 @ AMD K17.6
Power Supply ASUS Power Brick 180W
Mouse ROG SICA Gaming Mouse
Benchmark Scores CineBench R23 Single core:- 1290 points CineBench R23 Multi core:- 11111 points
Your undervolt is one of the biggest I've ever seen, very impressive. I didn't know it was possible to access hidden parts of the Bios, could you share the link to the files needed to access? The ones on Github are out. And as there is no configuration file ready for Asus, maybe you could share and show how it's done?
Unfortunately, I did it through ch341 usb programmer but I have heard about SERP or UMAF before but I never really used it except when I got AMD 4800H. Sorry for that. :(

And thank you ! Yours as well got an amazing undervolt for an i9 ;)

I will even quote what unclewebb said that author of Throttlestop tool when he saw the undervolt :)

That is a miracle. Too bad more people do not realize what is possible. After the 35% drop in the share price of Intel during the last week, maybe it is time to fire the CPU voltage team. They do not seem to know what they are doing. The old, "we will just keep adding more voltage to make it stable" has proven to be a big and costly mistake.

Lalaquesle

Unfortunately, I did it through ch341 usb programmer but I have heard about SERP or UMAF before but I never really used it except when I got AMD 4800H. Sorry for that. :(

And thank you ! Yours as well got an amazing undervolt for an i9 ;)

I will even quote what unclewebb said that author of Throttlestop tool when he saw the undervolt :)
Unfortunately, this is not possible through the SERP due to the BIOS Guard feature. I'm thinking about unlocking the same way as you with a ch341 but I need a modified bios to insert. Did you modify yours yourself? Sorry for so many questions but I'm very interested in limiting tension without limiting frequency.

Unfortunately, since we don't have this support from Asus, we need to take precautions because, unlike desktops, we don't have 5-year guarantees on processors and, as already mentioned, they don't care.

Benchmark Scores CineBench R23 Single core:- 1290 points CineBench R23 Multi core:- 11111 points
Unfortunately, this is not possible through the SERP due to the BIOS Guard feature. I'm thinking about unlocking the same way as you with a ch341 but I need a modified bios to insert. Did you modify yours yourself? Sorry for so many questions but I'm very interested in limiting tension without limiting frequency.

Unfortunately, since we don't have this support from Asus, we need to take precautions because, unlike desktops, we don't have 5-year guarantees on processors and, as already mentioned, they don't care.
yeah, I did it myself but it was one hell of a process but did it successfully without bricking it. no worries ask as much as you want. Previously I had an ASUS TUF A15 with AMD 4800H and used UMAF and was easy as butter and if any wrong settings got applied (except ram timings) I would simply reset BIOS settings and it is back from brick state, I never needed to use ch341. But for ASUS ROG Strix G16 it was vice versa.... so I never needed SREP or UMAF.

Hopefully ASUS does something although I lost hope in that, my only hope right now is Microsoft releases the microcode update which will allows us to use virtualization and having the latest microcode installed at the same time.

Currently with this microcode driver you need to disable virtualization in order for the microcode to get applied and used. With how ASUS avoiding to do anything and uses empty excuses to evade responsibility... even ASUS mods starting to either remove your post/comment:wtf: or simply out right spitting nonsense :kookoo:and being so naive about this issue...:banghead: I lost complete hope on ASUS.

writeback

It seems like loading the microcode from the OS (as done using this method) is not effective in preventing the degradation issues.
Source: https://github.com/intel/Intel-Linu...-Data-Files/issues/78#issuecomment-2286857023:
Hi folks, let me add some clarity. The microcode update (MCU) for the 13th and 14th Generation Intel desktop processors that was released last week (MCU Revision ID 129) is not effective for the Instability issue when loaded from the OS. To be effective, the MCU will need to be loaded from BIOS. This is the same for all operating systems; Windows, Linux, virtualization environments, or anything else where the MCU is loaded after BIOS done. This is also why the MCU was not posted to this repository last week since we did not want to confuse people into believing that systems were mitigated for this issue by loading the MCU from the OS or virtualization environment.

Last edited:
It seems like loading the microcode from the OS (as done using this method) is not effective in preventing the degradation issues.
Source: https://github.com/intel/Intel-Linu...-Data-Files/issues/78#issuecomment-2286857023:
If this is actually true then this is a major disaster...and this microcode driver would be useless if it is actually true. That means that It will only fix minor stuff and leaving out the major stuff which is voltage issues... which we all use it in the hope that it would do something.

This current method that is shared here can be called Late-load update while if Microsoft released it.. it would be called Early-load update, of course Early load is better than Late-load and of course having a BIOS update that includes the latest microcode updates are superior.

I still have hope for Microsoft to release it through Windows update

According to this news ... this user shared this link
Here's the link re windows updates (second paragraph) - not sure where they got their info from though:

Tom's Hardware

"This patch will be distributed through BIOS updates from motherboard OEMs and via Windows updates, so the timing for end-user availability could vary. "
1728055467433.png

So... another point I realized... even if Microsoft released the microcode update through Windows update.. it would still be ineffective? then there's no hope left for laptop users except to hopefully when Intel HX CPUs gets fried then you still have warranty left to repair it or.... void warranty and risk the laptop to unnecessary possible problems and each one of the users needs to edit there own BIOS to protect there laptop... this is madness.

This is win-win situation for Intel & OEMs as they will pocket money all the profits as they will charge you those sweet high repair prices to replace the motherboard when people starts to request for repairs for their fried Intel HX CPUs after the warranty expires.

This current situation tells me that ASUS, Acer, HP, MSI, Corsair, XMG, etc.. are intentionally skipping on laptop users while only currently Dell[0x129] & Lenovo[0x125] provided BIOS updates for laptop users with Intel HX CPUs.

So.. at the end laptop users will pay the consequences & the mistakes of others... while OEMs and especially Intel evading responsibility. What a great moment we live in... this is a mess... s**t hit the fan truly... I am angry & furious. :banghead:

References:-
  • DELL already released a BIOS update that includes 0x129 microcode to the users with Intel HX CPU.
  • Lenovo saying they are working with Intel about it and will provide BIOS updates with the microcode update.
  • Lenovo already provided & released BIOS update version 46WW with 0x125 microcode

writeback

So... another point I realized... even if Microsoft released the microcode update through Windows update.. it would still be ineffective? then there's no hope left for laptop users except to hopefully when Intel HX CPUs gets fried then you still have warranty left to repair it or.... void warranty and risk the laptop to unnecessary possible problems and each one of the users needs to edit there own BIOS to protect there laptop... this is madness.
Yes, unfortunately a Windows update can't change the fact that the microcode is loaded late, once the OS starts booting.
According to another comment from the same Github user:
Some issues can be resolved when the microcode update is loaded, but other issues, such as this one, require resetting hardware after loading the microcode update. Unfortunately, that is only supported in BIOS.
As long as Intel keep claiming HX CPUs are unaffected, OEMs have a good enough excuse to not release BIOS updates for this issue.
To stay on the safe side, users will have to press laptop manufacturers to release updates, manually undervolt (possibly losing performance) or flash custom BIOS images.

Last edited:
Yes, unfortunately a Windows update can't change the fact that the microcode is loaded late, once the OS starts booting.
According to another comment from the same Github user:

As long as Intel keep claiming HX CPUs are unaffected, OEMs have a good enough excuse to not release BIOS updates for this issue.
Oh my.... any hope left is shattered :banghead: as you mentioned... As long as Intel keep claiming HX CPUs are unaffected, OEMs will never move a finger about this.:ohwell:

To stay on the safe side, users will have to press laptop manufacturers to release updates, manually undervolt (possibly losing performance) or flash custom BIOS images.
That's our only viable way and even limit CPU frequencies or if you have the required SREP files then you can put a voltage cap. through advanced bios settings without limiting CPU frequencies.

This is horrible... really horrible... at least OEM should provide an option in the BIOS "VR Voltage Limit" to limit the voltage to the users .. is that too much to ask? I know this won't happen but look how OEMs never cared about laptop users. This is a crime at the highest levels.

writeback

Thanks a lot for mentioning SREP! I found the tool here, unlocked the BIOS and set the voltage limit on my Lenovo Legion laptop. Looks like it's working for now, no voltage spikes over 1.4V.

Thanks a lot for mentioning SREP! I found the tool here, unlocked the BIOS and set the voltage limit on my Lenovo Legion laptop. Looks like it's working for now, no voltage spikes over 1.4V.
I'm always happy to help :) amazing find! :clap: this might help other users too! by following this guide . As a caution... this is not for people with a fainted heart! :) again, amazing job finding this tool :rockout:

System Name BarnacleMan
Processor 14700KF
Motherboard Gigabyte B760 Aorus Elite Ax DDR5
Cooling ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 240 + P12 Max Fans
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury Beast
Video Card(s) Asus Tuf 4090 24GB
Storage 4TB sn850x, 2TB sn850x, 2TB Netac Nv7000 + 2TB p5 plus, 4TB MX500 * 2 = 18TB. Plus dvd burner.
Display(s) Dell 23.5" 1440P IPS panel
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH Performance Mid-Tower
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z623
Power Supply Gigabyte 850w
Thank you! Worked for me, no issues or anything.
It does indeed reduce idle voltages!

Last edited:
Thank you! Worked for me, no issues or anything.
It does indeed reduce idle voltages!
Now that's amazing to hear! :toast:Thank you for your time reporting this :respect:

Lalaquesle

Hello my good sir, I'm just passing by to rectify the information I gave wrongly, I managed to access the hidden settings of the Asus (ROG G18) bios with SREP, from this I reached the 5.6GHz standards of my processor with a maximum VID of 1.28V (Limited to 1.3V in BIOS) which really makes sense considering that originally the processor requires 1.45V to reach this frequency but with 180mV of undervolt we have the voltage x frequency curve at 5.6Ghz with 1.27V with no more voltage spikes when the processor is at idle or with light processes that are the real problem. Thank you very much for helping us and distributing this information so that we do not become dependent on a manufacturer that has not done anything to date regarding these problems. :toast:

Hello my good sir, I'm just passing by to rectify the information I gave wrongly, I managed to access the hidden settings of the Asus (ROG G18) bios with SREP, from this I reached the 5.6GHz standards of my processor with a maximum VID of 1.28V (Limited to 1.3V in BIOS) which really makes sense considering that originally the processor requires 1.45V to reach this frequency but with 180mV of undervolt we have the voltage x frequency curve at 5.6Ghz with 1.27V with no more voltage spikes when the processor is at idle or with light processes that are the real problem. Thank you very much for helping us and distributing this information so that we do not become dependent on a manufacturer that has not done anything to date regarding these problems. :toast:
Thank you so much for your kindness and for sharing this information! :respect: I'm always happy to help whenever I can :)

Exactly as you mentioned. The main problem happens during light load or idle loads. It's called transient voltage spikes.

Those manufacturer's will never care about laptop users as long as Intel won't admit it.

Those manufacturer gonna use Intel excuses so there's no reason those manufacturer's to release any BIOS updates for Intel HX CPUs. :(

j0z3k87

Hi.

first i want to say thank You for that work to save our laptops where greedy companies trying to get even more money due to hardware failures.

second i been tried on my laptop 12B microcode on my Asus:

Device name Scar
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-14900HX 2.20 GHz
Installed RAM 32.0 GB (31.7 GB usable)
Device ID 897D06E2-2586-40F8-B782-AD869133A3C5
Product ID 00342-21166-47891-AAOEM
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this display

and i found some issues due to system restart randomly that bloody laptop completely freezing in log in window... so I'm testing now 129 no issues so far.

any idea what reason could be behind that windows freezes? did any one tried that codes on other Asus laptops with Intel® Core™ i9 Processor 14900HX 2.2 GHz

Hi.

first i want to say thank You for that work to save our laptops where greedy companies trying to get even more money due to hardware failures.

second i been tried on my laptop 12B microcode on my Asus:

Device name Scar
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-14900HX 2.20 GHz
Installed RAM 32.0 GB (31.7 GB usable)
Device ID 897D06E2-2586-40F8-B782-AD869133A3C5
Product ID 00342-21166-47891-AAOEM
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this display

and i found some issues due to system restart randomly that bloody laptop completely freezing in log in window... so I'm testing now 129 no issues so far.

any idea what reason could be behind that windows freezes? did any one tried that codes on other Asus laptops with Intel® Core™ i9 Processor 14900HX 2.2 GHz
Thank you so much for your kind words and support :respect: , if 0x12B causes issues then yes, stay at 0x129.

You can reset your undervolts if you use any kind of undervolt and try again using 0x12B.. maybe it will get fixed, after that re-test your undervolt again :) Unfortunately I only have I7 13650HX, maybe others can chime in and report if they got any issues with 0x12B.

Yes... greedy companies will always act like that as long as they keep dodging bullets and never confronting with facts.

They need to admitting there own mistakes but we both know this will never happen, A company like ASUS and there incompetent ASUS Mods:kookoo: dealing with this issue was absolute worst with no idea what they are dealing with ... with zero information or knowledge about any issue.:wtf: The best they can do is simply remove your comments or disregard anything with empty excuses.

I lost hope contacting them or even engaging a proper conversation with them... they literally don't know anything and simply no regard about any issue especially ASUS mods doesn't have any courage confronting the facts and would rather abuse there power as a mods and silencing people who doesn't fit ASUS image.

System Name BarnacleMan
Processor 14700KF
Motherboard Gigabyte B760 Aorus Elite Ax DDR5
Cooling ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 240 + P12 Max Fans
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury Beast
Video Card(s) Asus Tuf 4090 24GB
Storage 4TB sn850x, 2TB sn850x, 2TB Netac Nv7000 + 2TB p5 plus, 4TB MX500 * 2 = 18TB. Plus dvd burner.
Display(s) Dell 23.5" 1440P IPS panel
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH Performance Mid-Tower
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z623
Power Supply Gigabyte 850w
Yeah I never had a problem with a 0x12B method, other than having to restart afterwards. But keep in mind I don't have a laptop, I was using it because gigabyte was very late releasing a bios update. I shared your method with other people on the gigabyte reddit who were getting inpatient and some were very pleased. So thanks again.

Yeah I never had a problem with a 0x12B method, other than having to restart afterwards. But keep in mind I don't have a laptop, I was using it because gigabyte was very late releasing a bios update. I shared your method with other people on the gigabyte reddit who were getting inpatient and some were very pleased. So thanks again.
Thank you for reporting and sharing it ! :) that will help alot of people ;) that's the beauty of sharing solutions to everyone :toast:

j0z3k87

So I noticed 12B could caused problems because my asus bios undervolt - 80 now I'm testing with undervolt - 0 and continuing undervolt via throttlestop, we will see. Btw is some one have flashing to asus bios to unlock blocked settings?

j0z3k87

Do you have that program, I would like to play with my asus

Lalaquesle

Do you have that program, I would like to play with my asus
Hello, there you go SREP.

Just format the usb stick, put all the files inside, enter the bios, disable secure boot, boot with the usb stick, the screen will go black with several writings in the top left corner, wait for it to finish and then click on continue and then it will return to the bios and open several hidden tabs. Be careful with changes, if you change something that prevents the laptop from turning on, you will have to open and disconnect the battery, reconnect it and turn it on with the charger plugged in, this will reset the bios.

In my experience, I was able to slightly overclock the RAM, change the AC/DC values (only do this if you know what you are doing) and set the voltage limit. With these changes I managed to increase the performance substantially at the same time as the voltage does not exceed 1.3V for the 5.6Ghz of the I9 13980HX (TVB off).

1728997253146.png

This spreadsheet exemplifies the gains I made with these changes (Cinebench R23 HT Off). My best scores in Cinebench was 30285 (148W) HT off and 34775 (160W) with HT on.

Good luck playing with these settings!!

j0z3k87

Hello, there you go SREP.

Just format the usb stick, put all the files inside, enter the bios, disable secure boot, boot with the usb stick, the screen will go black with several writings in the top left corner, wait for it to finish and then click on continue and then it will return to the bios and open several hidden tabs. Be careful with changes, if you change something that prevents the laptop from turning on, you will have to open and disconnect the battery, reconnect it and turn it on with the charger plugged in, this will reset the bios.

In my experience, I was able to slightly overclock the RAM, change the AC/DC values (only do this if you know what you are doing) and set the voltage limit. With these changes I managed to increase the performance substantially at the same time as the voltage does not exceed 1.3V for the 5.6Ghz of the I9 13980HX (TVB off).

View attachment 367671

This spreadsheet exemplifies the gains I made with these changes (Cinebench R23 HT Off). My best scores in Cinebench was 30285 (148W) HT off and 34775 (160W) with HT on.

Good luck playing with these settings!!
You Are Angel thank You

Question, would having v-max enabled also help with this or is it better to just install the microcode? Also THEBOSS619 I cant believe you doing all of this, the modded wifi and nvme drivers and microcode updates... like damn you are a Godsend.

Question, would having v-max enabled also help with this or is it better to just install the microcode? Also THEBOSS619 I cant believe you doing all of this, the modded wifi and nvme drivers and microcode updates... like damn you are a Godsend.
Oh I am thankful for your kind words and support! :respect:I am always trying to help whenever I can :) It what makes me happy to do it :)

Regarding your question, Yes, Enable V-Max as it prevents the CPU voltage from getting too high. The CPU will throttle and slow down so the voltage never exceeds the safe limits.

There's also something else new coming in the near future ;) I have realized that some Intel Killer Ethernet models are using Realtek chip and hence they use Realtek .sys files. So most laptops/PCs heve Realtek ethernet.

Those models who are using Realtek chip are Intel Killer Ethernet E2500 & E2600 & E3000 & E5000 models. They literally share the exact same .sys files between Killer ethernet chip vs non-Killer ethernet chip! So an idea came to my mind... why not convert non-killer Realtek chip to a Intel's Realtek Killer ones :D

The Killer app can take advantage of it if you are kind a guy who connects Wi-Fi and Ethernet cable at the same time... Killer app will allow to manage both & route background data like (Windows updates, downloads, Youtube/Twitch streaming, etc...) to your Wi-Fi/Mobile Hotspot while your ethernet will be used for ping sensitive things like online gaming, etc... :)

This feature are named the same as on Wi-Fi... Intel® Killer™ DoubleShot™ Pro. https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/details/wireless/killer-series.html#tab-blade-1-3

Those images explains it more clearer ;)
1729201322851.png

Do you think it's worth to start doing it? or It's not worth it? :D I can do it ;) but I am just contemplating & in dilemma if it is worth my time

Oh I am thankful for your kind words and support! :respect:I am always trying to help whenever I can :) It what makes me happy to do it :)

Regarding your question, Yes, Enable V-Max as it prevents the CPU voltage from getting too high. The CPU will throttle and slow down so the voltage never exceeds the safe limits.

There's also something else new coming in the near future ;) I have realized that some Intel Killer Ethernet models are using Realtek chip and hence they use Realtek .sys files. So most laptops/PCs heve Realtek ethernet.

Those models who are using Realtek chip are Intel Killer Ethernet E2500 & E2600 & E3000 & E5000 models. They literally share the exact same .sys files between Killer ethernet chip vs non-Killer ethernet chip! So an idea came to my mind... why not convert non-killer Realtek chip to a Intel's Realtek Killer ones :D

The Killer app can take advantage of it if you are kind a guy who connects Wi-Fi and Ethernet cable at the same time... Killer app will allow to manage both & route background data like (Windows updates, downloads, Youtube/Twitch streaming, etc...) to your Wi-Fi/Mobile Hotspot while your ethernet will be used for ping sensitive things like online gaming, etc... :)

This feature are named the same as on Wi-Fi... Intel® Killer™ DoubleShot™ Pro. https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/details/wireless/killer-series.html#tab-blade-1-3

Those images explains it more clearer ;)
View attachment 368001

Do you think it's worth to start doing it? or It's not worth it? :D I can do it ;) but I am just contemplating & in dilemma if it is worth my time

Did not know about realtek chips basically being intel, even though I dont use ethernet (too far for my laptop use lol) it still sounds like a great idea just for the benefits, also about the vmax, I successfully installed your microcode 0x12B driver without disabling virtualization, I do however have VBS disabled as well my ME firmware being 16.1.30.2361 not the latest but above what you recommended, even with your driver i should have vmax enabled correct?