• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Epic Games To Bring Free Game Giveaways to Mobile Store To Tempt Players Away from Google, Apple

Cpt.Jank

Staff
Staff member
The Epic Games free weekly game giveaways have been an easy way for PC gamers to pad out their game library with aging games and help Epic Games draw gamers to its store, which is commonly thought to be inferior to the likes of Steam due to a lack of features. Now Epic Games is bringing that same free game giveaway program to its mobile storefront for iOS (in the EU, at least) and Android.

Announced at a round table discussion at the Seattle Unreal Fest earlier this week, the free mobile game giveaway will launch in Q4, 2024, and the publisher will add third-party apps to its mobile store at the same time. Epic Games Store's general manager, Steve Allison, who announced the program, was pretty up-front about Epic's intentions with the game giveaway: "The free games program will launch in Q4 along with the [first] third-party apps showing up, and we're gonna have some awesome stuff for players that will also be awesome for developers because it'll help us scale really quickly."

While many of the games featured in the Epic Games weekly free game giveaway have been obscure indie titles, there have been a fair few AAA standouts, like Control, Borderlands 3, and the Tomb Raider trilogy. While the free game giveaways are undoubtedly going to be an interesting addition for gamers, the introduction of third-party developers is arguably more important for the health of the Epic Games Store in the long run, especially if the store wants to be profitable. Epic's other announcements at the Unreal Fest this past week are also indicative of its future plans for the Epic Games Store, with new discount deals and Unreal Engine collaborations incentivizing developers to publish their games on the Epic Games Store first or at the same time as on other platforms.

Epic says it will have "between 10 and 50" third-party applications on its mobile store before the holiday season, although there are still some unfinished features, like payments systems, that may require some of these apps and games to be delayed. The Epic Games Store has faced a rather public uphill battle for profitability, with Epic having recently had to resort to laying off over 800 employees due to overspending. Epic isn't likely to have a much easier time launching a mobile storefront this late in the game, especially since that storefront is only available on iOS in the EU, leaving only Android for the US—the world's second-largest video game market and the country with the highest number of iPhone users.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

System Name Nebulon B
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 24 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-4800
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 6750 XT 12 GB
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 2.1 speakers, AKG Y50 headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
I never buy games on mobile. What's the point in (pretending to be) playing on a touchscreen anyway?

System Name BigRed
Processor I7 12700k
Motherboard Asus Rog Strix z690-A WiFi D4
Cooling Noctua D15S chromax black/MX6
Memory TEAM GROUP 32GB DDR4 4000C16 B die
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3080 Gaming Trio X 10GB
Storage M.2 drives WD SN850X 1TB 4x4 BOOT/WD SN850X 4TB 4x4 STEAM/USB3 4TB OTHER
Display(s) Dell s3422dwg 34" 3440x1440p 144hz ultrawide
Case Corsair 7000D
Audio Device(s) Yamaha YSP-800 DSP soundbar/Bowers and Wilkins P7 Headphones
Power Supply Corsair RM850x 80% gold
Mouse Logitech G604 lightspeed wireless
Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL lightspeed wireless
Software Windows 10 Pro X64
Benchmark Scores Who cares
Not going to work............./end

Processor 7600x -- 8600k
Motherboard MSI B650 -- ASRock z370
Cooling TR PA120 -- CM212
Memory 2x16GB -- 2x8GB
Video Card(s) PNY 4080 -- Zotac 2080ti
Storage 4TB SN850x / 4TB 870evo / 2TB SN770 -- 512GB 970 / 2TB WDBlue / some HDDs
Display(s) LG C3 (42) + Acer XB271HU -- Sony X950H (49)
Case Torrent Compact Steel Panel -- Define R2
Power Supply BeQuiet Darkpower13 750 -- Seasonic X750
Keyboard Epomaker TH80SE/EK21 -- Logi G710+
Software Win10 (both)
Epic had their chance and blew it... first impressions mate, first impressions.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name White DJ in Detroit
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
I never buy games on mobile. What's the point in (pretending to be) playing on a touchscreen anyway?

You can use the exact same argument for any way of playing games. FWIW Race for the Galaxy is definitely decent.

System Name Nebulon B
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Software Windows 10 Pro
You can use the exact same argument for any way of playing games.
Why would I, though? A keyboard and mouse is fine for 95% of games. Some driving sims are best with a steering wheel, yet some other games are okay with a controller. I do not know of a single game where blocking half of the screen with your fingers and having no tactile feedback works.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name White DJ in Detroit
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Why would I, though? A keyboard and mouse is fine for 95% of games. Some driving sims are best with a steering wheel, yet some other games are okay with a controller. I do not know of a single game where blocking half of the screen with your fingers and having no tactile feedback works.

Pixel Dungeon. Mini Metro. Race for the Galaxy (that works better on a tablet though). But above all ... I can play those games anywhere, and I can play them on a device I already have (a phone, any phone). A couple of games of RftG on the lunch break if I feel like it? Yes please. There's a reason why mobile gaming is bigger than PC and console gaming.

And I see a lot of stuff "I would never buy an app for a phone lol" and my question is, why not? If it's good, why not? This goes for games too, we're expected to pay for games in all other formats buy buying a PHONE GAME for like €5? Over my desecrated corpse! Then complain about all the ads everywhere.

What they need to do is to add "upgrading bundle / collection" feature.

It's been five freaking years in the making, and not added till this day.

Second thing is that they need to enforce support on Devs for their game store pages. Devs often just put initial version for store page, then grab money from Epic's early access or exclusive deal and then go to Steam. Then only focus on supporting Steam store page. This needs to stop. You sell on three or four store fronts, you support and update them all. Easy as that.

Epic needs to stop forcing community and social garbage in their client. One of the things I liked in EGS client was that it was just a game client; no social stuff, memes, trolls, spoilers, rants, haters, and what not from glorified Steam Community Hubs or from internet in general.

Want to add it? Fine, make it optional to display in client settings.

System Name Nebulon B
Software Windows 10 Pro
Pixel Dungeon. Mini Metro. Race for the Galaxy (that works better on a tablet though). But above all ... I can play those games anywhere, and I can play them on a device I already have (a phone, any phone). A couple of games of RftG on the lunch break if I feel like it? Yes please. There's a reason why mobile gaming is bigger than PC and console gaming.
I guess it just shows how different we all are. Personally, I think gaming = escapism, therefore, it is best done alone, in one's game room / living room, etc. on a big screen, when immersion is at its best. Having a quick session at work on a break seems pretty pointless to me. I'm not saying that it's wrong, just that I don't see the point.

And I see a lot of stuff "I would never buy an app for a phone lol" and my question is, why not? If it's good, why not?
Because I have no need for it. Everything I want from a phone (staying in touch, banking, shopping, holidays, etc.) can be done via free apps. For anything more complex, I've got a desktop PC.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name DarnGosh Edition
Processor AMD 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI X670E GAMING PLUS
Cooling Thermalright AM5 Contact Frame + Phantom Spirit 120SE
Memory G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000 CL32-38-38-96
Video Card(s) Asus Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage WD SN770 1TB (Boot)| 2x 2TB WD SN770 (Gaming)| 2x 2TB Crucial BX500| 2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White) {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850 80+ GOLD
Mouse Logitech G502 X
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 11 Home
Benchmark Scores ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ
What Tim Sweeny has continuously failed to understand is that STEAM is more than just a shop where you can buy games. Its an entire platform where you can discover games based on your library that you might enjoy. There is also the community element to it where people can post guides, mods and fan art for games they like.

Until EGS can match or offer a better platform/service then what steam offers. EGS will continue to languish in the shadows and lose money while steam continues to grow.

System Name Nebulon B
Software Windows 10 Pro
What Tim Sweeny has continuously failed to understand is that STEAM is more than just a shop where you can buy games. Its an entire platform where you can discover games based on your library that you might enjoy. There is also the community element to it where people can post guides, mods and fan art for games they like.

Until EGS can match or offer a better platform/service then what steam offers. EGS will continue to languish in the shadows and lose money while steam continues to grow.
Not to mention the million and one extra features Steam has. For example, Steam Deck support, multiplayer servers, cloud saves, library sharing, all the family stuff, etc. Steam is so much more than just a shop!