• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Epic Games To Bring Free Game Giveaways to Mobile Store To Tempt Players Away from Google, Apple

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
but those import duties/ taxes are “killer”… (for stuff not made in Brazil) how much more is the ps5.., so much people stay on ps4!
You never know the way things are going someone could easily build an emulation handheld with the entire library of Sega Games.

System Name "Icy Resurrection"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 APEX ENCORE
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S upgraded with 2x NF-F12 iPPC-3000 fans and Honeywell PTM7950 TIM
Memory 32 GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 7600 MT/s 36-44-44-52-96 1.4V
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 500 GB WD Black SN750 SE NVMe SSD + 4 TB WD Red Plus WD40EFPX HDD
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Pichau Mancer CV500 White Edition
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Microsoft Classic Intellimouse
Keyboard Generic PS/2
Software Windows 11 IoT Enterprise LTSC 24H2
Benchmark Scores I pulled a Qiqi~
but those import duties/ taxes are “killer”… (for stuff not made in Brazil) how much more is the ps5.., so much people stay on ps4!

Taxes levied for individuals and companies are at different rates, not to mention the Deck is a computer, not a gaming console. Which again, has different taxes applied. Not to mention legislation has changed and evolved over time.

I guess you don't know the history of Video Games as well as I do. Sega, through a Company has exclusive rights to video Game consoles. When the Genesis was no more in North America, it was the rage in Brazil. Yes some of it is scale of economy. There is a documentary on Gaming in Cuba that is insane. There is some of the fact that at that time North America was still the leader in Consumer spending levels. A $300 Dreamcast would have been over $600 + import penalties. In 1998 the Interest rate in Brazil was 40%. What was the name of the company that marketed the Genesis again. Did not the Genesis sell in Brazil well into the 2010s?

Yes, Brazil was and remains the world's most popular market for Sega consoles. So you have an idea - the Master System is still literally manufactured and sold here, and it sells relatively well, and there was a licensed re-run of the Mega Drive recently. But it's not because of cost, it's because Sega games have always been historically popular with Brazilians - especially considering things like games that featured Ayrton Senna (widely considered to be a national hero) were impossibly big at the time of his passing.

Cost has nothing to do with Sega's success here, especially since you missed the crucial point: the consoles were nationalized and manufactured by Tec Toy locally, the same company which still makes Master System and were responsible for the MD re-run. Likewise, Nintendo nationalized their manufacturing through another company called Gradiente, which is still around but no longer makes video games, just general home electronics. Not that it matters - for example, you can buy a Switch Lite here for about $180 USD, and that's about the same price they go for the ol' US of A.

I just don't see the correlation between Brazilians liking Sega consoles and Valve not selling the Deck here, after all, ASUS sells both the Ally and Ally X, the Chinese handhelds from GPD and the like tend to be available - and yes, you can even have an imported Deck on your own dime, which is pretty much nonsense considered the other brands' handhelds have better specs.

Processor AMD 7900X3D
Cooling In Win SR36
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Keyboard Logitech G510
I'm only in my mid-30s, but I feel exactly the same as you. Gaming is escapism, gaming is immersion. Neither of which is achievable on a 5-7" touchscreen on my break at work.
Gaming is a hobby as that is what a card collector would say about their cards. A movie lover (before) in their DVD library or a Stamp Collector. Tablets, handhelds even phones are just PCs ina different form factor. It is all relative however.

I just got an Ally. I must admit I am a little whelmed. I thought it would have been a different experience. It feels exactly like a PC but just smaller. I installed Grim Dawn and forgot that it is a real PC Game so no controller support. I was downloading 40k Martyr but then the Premier League started and City Skylines 2 was calling.

Everyone knows I have a 43" 4K monitor but you should see the Old World (Mod) Map of TWWH3 on a huge screen. Redout 2 is also quite a blast on a big screen. Immersion is when you plug in your imagination. Today Games are so intense at 4K that I have Gaming nirvana moments, like after watching the 6 hours of Fuji, I loaded that up on LMU and had the Glickenhaus, Isotta and Vanwall to add to the grid. There was a moment when all of them were on the screen at the same time going through the curvy part of Fuji. Excelsior.

When Football is done I will how the Ally feels with a Game that has controller support and I actually like.

"the consoles were nationalized"

So ask yourself why the Steam Deck is not sold in Brazil. Why would the Government have to nationalize video Games?

Gaming is a hobby as that is what a card collector would say about their cards. A movie lover (before) in their DVD library or a Stamp Collector. Tablets, handhelds even phones are just PCs ina different form factor. It is all relative however.

I just got an Ally. I must admit I am a little whelmed. I thought it would have been a different experience. It feels exactly like a PC but just smaller. I installed Grim Dawn and forgot that it is a real PC Game so no controller support. I was downloading 40k Martyr but then the Premier League started and City Skylines 2 was calling.

Everyone knows I have a 43" 4K monitor but you should see the Old World (Mod) Map of TWWH3 on a huge screen. Redout 2 is also quite a blast on a big screen. Immersion is when you plug in your imagination. Today Games are so intense at 4K that I have Gaming nirvana moments, like after watching the 6 hours of Fuji, I loaded that up on LMU and had the Glickenhaus, Isotta and Vanwall to add to the grid. There was a moment when all of them were on the screen at the same time going through the curvy part of Fuji. Excelsior.

When Football is done I will how the Ally feels with a Game that has controller support and I actually like.

"the consoles were nationalized"

So ask yourself why the Steam Deck is not sold in Brazil. Why would the Government have to nationalize video Games?
Sorry the bottom part was for Dr Dro.

System Name Nebulon B
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 24 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-4800
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 6750 XT 12 GB
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 2.1 speakers, AKG Y50 headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro

It's not about size. It's about the fact that when you're on a touchscreen, half of it is covered by your hand, so you can't see a bloody thing, and you don't have any tactile feedback of your actions, either, no clicks, no mouse/stick movement, nothing, and that kills immersion, imo. Gaming isn't just what you see on a screen. You have to feel what you're doing, and that's impossible when you're only tapping on cold glass.

Cooling Noctua NH-D15S upgraded with 2x NF-F12 iPPC-3000 fans and Honeywell PTM7950 TIM
Memory 32 GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 7600 MT/s 36-44-44-52-96 1.4V
Keyboard Generic PS/2

Again, this has absolutely nothing to do with the government, it's a way that companies used to bypass import restrictions in the 1980s and early 1990s, you've never lived in a country ruled by a military junta so I guess you wouldn't understand the far reaching implications of that, even years after it ended

System Name I don't name my systems.
Processor i5-12600KF 'stock power limits/-115mV undervolt+contact frame'
Motherboard Asus Prime B660-PLUS D4
Cooling ID-Cooling SE 224 XT ARGB V3 'CPU', 4x Be Quiet! Light Wings + 2x Arctic P12 black case fans.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4 3200MHz
Video Card(s) Asus TuF V2 RTX 3060 Ti @1920 MHz Core/@950mV Undervolt
Storage 4 TB WD Red, 1 TB Silicon Power A55 Sata, 1 TB Kingston A2000 NVMe, 256 GB Adata Spectrix s40g NVMe
Display(s) 29" 2560x1080 75 Hz / LG 29WK600-W
Case Be Quiet! Pure Base 500 FX Black
Audio Device(s) Onboard + Hama uRage SoundZ 900+USB DAC
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM 500W 80+ Gold
Mouse Canyon Puncher GM-20
Keyboard SPC Gear GK630K Tournament 'Kailh Brown'
Software Windows 10 Pro
I guess it just shows how different we all are. Personally, I think gaming = escapism, therefore, it is best done alone, in one's game room / living room, etc. on a big screen, when immersion is at its best. Having a quick session at work on a break seems pretty pointless to me. I'm not saying that it's wrong, just that I don't see the point.

Because I have no need for it. Everything I want from a phone (staying in touch, banking, shopping, holidays, etc.) can be done via free apps. For anything more complex, I've got a desktop PC.
I'm also one of those who do enjoy mobile gaming to an extent, heavily depending on the genre/game.
I've kinda got into playing gacha games in the past years and those play pretty well on a mobile screen while I'm resting in the bed or when I just cant sit infront of my PC any longer and want to lie down.
Currently I'm playing 2 and both have a PC client too, one I'm exclusively playing on PC only cause it has a fast paced/reaction based combat and thats a big nope on a mobile imo. 'tbh I couldn't even play that with a controller..'
Other one is more chill with a lot of text based story so no extra inputs needed other than the touch controls, those I like to read on my mobile in the bed + I can also quickly hop into the game and do my dailies if I don't have the time to use my PC.
For the end game difficult content I use the PC client only so its a win-win sitution in this case.
I've actually bought a gaming performance budget king 'Poco X6 Pro' phone just for that very reason like 2 months ago.:oops: 'I hardly ever use my phone for anything other than media consumption/browsing the net or playing said games'

For me PC and Mobile gaming can coexist and I'm also in my mid 30s '35 to be exact' and grew up playing exclusively on a PC 'like my family never owned a single console'

Has already worked for me! My opinion of Steam has never been lower than it is right now, and I don't have any particular love for Google Play nor Apple's App Store. Then again, I've always been more or less on Tim's side with this one. I am not fond of hegemonies, and the EGS has done well with the "less is more" philosophy, it brings me back to the days Steam wasn't bloated garbage and that games were cheap and readily available. The weekly giveaways are nice, even though I probably won't ever play most of them - it's not like I will play most of the shovelware on my Steam account either, and I paid for all of that.

I like how "Steam Deck support" is now considered a platform advantage, yet years later (I wishlisted it August 10 2021) :shadedshu:

View attachment 366139

I also have a 19 years old Steam account and tbh I've never really cared about or used those so called extra 'features' of Steam.
Yes EGS is simple, I get/install my games and then I'm off to play them and thats it and I'm fine with that.

Processor AMD 7900X3D
Cooling In Win SR36
Keyboard Logitech G510
Legit question but what does Sega have anything to do with it?

I assumed it was just that Valve did not bother to do distribution in those regions.

(I am also from brazil but I do have a deck)
Did you buy your deck officially from a store in Brazil or Online through a VPN? When Dr Dro said that the Govt nationalized video Game consoles through Sega it gives a reason for there to be no inventory of Steam Decks sourced locally (not sure about that one). It would either be seen as contraband or face fierce tariffs.

System Name Nebulon B
Software Windows 10 Pro
I'm also one of those who do enjoy mobile gaming to an extent, heavily depending on the genre/game.
I've kinda got into playing gacha games in the past years and those play pretty well on a mobile screen while I'm resting in the bed or when I just cant sit infront of my PC any longer and want to lie down.
Currently I'm playing 2 and both have a PC client too, one I'm exclusively playing on PC only cause it has a fast paced/reaction based combat and thats a big nope on a mobile imo. 'tbh I couldn't even play that with a controller..'
Other one is more chill with a lot of text based story so no extra inputs needed other than the touch controls, those I like to read on my mobile in the bed + I can also quickly hop into the game and do my dailies if I don't have the time to use my PC.
For the end game difficult content I use the PC client only so its a win-win sitution in this case.
I've actually bought a gaming performance budget king 'Poco X6 Pro' phone just for that very reason like 2 months ago.:oops: 'I hardly ever use my phone for anything other than media consumption/browsing the net or playing said games'

For me PC and Mobile gaming can coexist and I'm also in my mid 30s '35 to be exact' and grew up playing exclusively on a PC 'like my family never owned a single console'
Each to their own, I guess.

For those resting in bed moments, I have a PS2 and a small PC attached to the TV. When I'm too lazy to turn even those on, I grab my trusty old PSP. I'm looking at replacing it with a Steam Deck, but it's out of stock at the moment, so I'm waiting for availability. For reading, I've got a first gen Amazon Kindle. The e-paper screen is much better on my eyes than any backlight. But yeah, each to their own. :)

Motherboard ASRock B650E Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer III 280
Memory 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB 6000 CL30 (A-Die)
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio
Storage 1TB Samsung 990 PRO, 4TB Corsair MP600 PRO XT, 1TB WD SN850X, 4x4TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Alienware AW2725DF, LG 27GR93U, LG 27GN950-B
Case Streacom BC1 V2 Black
Audio Device(s) Bose Companion Series 2 III, Sennheiser GSP600 and HD599 SE - Creative Soundblaster X4
Power Supply bequiet! Dark Power Pro 12 1500w Titanium
Mouse Razer Deathadder V3
Keyboard Razer Black Widow V3 TKL
VR HMD Oculus Rift S
Software ~2000 Video Games
Epic can offer me free money and i'll refuse it.

System Name Lexx
Processor Threadripper 2950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Zenith Extreme
Cooling Custom Water
Memory 32/64GB Corsair 3200MHz
Video Card(s) Liquid Devil 6900XT
Storage 4TB Solid State PCI/NVME/M.2
Display(s) LG 34" Curved Ultrawide 160Hz
Case Thermaltake View T71
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair 1000W
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Asus
VR HMD NA
Software Windows 10 Pro
What Tim Sweeny has continuously failed to understand is that STEAM is more than just a shop where you can buy games. Its an entire platform where you can discover games based on your library that you might enjoy. There is also the community element to it where people can post guides, mods and fan art for games they like.
None of which I've ever wanted in a launcher. If there has to be a launcher - just do the DRM component and have another downloadable module if you want the social, community, store-front, fan-art aspect etc. etc.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name DarnGosh Edition
Processor AMD 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI X670E GAMING PLUS
Cooling Thermalright AM5 Contact Frame + Phantom Spirit 120SE
Memory G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000 CL32-38-38-96
Video Card(s) Asus Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage WD SN770 1TB (Boot)| 2x 2TB WD SN770 (Gaming)| 2x 2TB Crucial BX500| 2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White) {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850 80+ GOLD
Mouse Logitech G502 X
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 11 Home
Benchmark Scores ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ
None of which I've ever wanted in a launcher. If there has to be a launcher - just do the DRM component and have another downloadable module if you want the social, community, store-front, fan-art aspect etc. etc.

Store-front you can access via an internet browser... Chrome, Firefox, Edge - whatever you want.

as for the rest you can go into steam settings and change a few settings to change what you see when you log in.

1728164910714.png

You can log in direct to your library - the 'DRM component' and do all your game downloads and what not from there without ever having to dip into the dark side of steam.

Processor 7600x -- 8600k
Motherboard MSI B650 -- ASRock z370
Cooling TR PA120 -- CM212
Memory 2x16GB -- 2x8GB
Video Card(s) PNY 4080 -- Zotac 2080ti
Storage 4TB SN850x / 4TB 870evo / 2TB SN770 -- 512GB 970 / 2TB WDBlue / some HDDs
Display(s) LG C3 (42) + Acer XB271HU -- Sony X950H (49)
Case Torrent Compact Steel Panel -- Define R2
Power Supply BeQuiet Darkpower13 750 -- Seasonic X750
Keyboard Epomaker TH80SE/EK21 -- Logi G710+
Software Win10 (both)
Yep, set to start in Library, and have community content disabled from library pages if that's yer jam.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 9950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage Intel 905p Optane 960GB boot, +2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64 / Windows 11 Enterprise IoT 2024
I never buy games on mobile. What's the point in (pretending to be) playing on a touchscreen anyway?
Mobility?

I mean I can see it in concept but most mobile games are pay 2 win crapfests so...

System Name Lexx
Processor Threadripper 2950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Zenith Extreme
Cooling Custom Water
Memory 32/64GB Corsair 3200MHz
Video Card(s) Liquid Devil 6900XT
Storage 4TB Solid State PCI/NVME/M.2
Display(s) LG 34" Curved Ultrawide 160Hz
Case Thermaltake View T71
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair 1000W
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Asus
VR HMD NA
Software Windows 10 Pro
You can log in direct to your library - the 'DRM component' and do all your game downloads and what not from there without ever having to dip into the dark side of steam.
So you're saying with "modern" Steam, I don't need to have any baggage, or guff installed. I can just do the DRM part - if so, I may be interested in having another look.

System Name Nebulon B
Software Windows 10 Pro
Mobility?

I mean I can see it in concept but most mobile games are pay 2 win crapfests so...
What's the point of mobility if your gaming experience is trashed by tapping on an unresponsive, cold glass panel devoid of any feeling or feedback?

So you're saying with "modern" Steam, I don't need to have any baggage, or guff installed. I can just do the DRM part - if so, I may be interested in having another look.
Yep. Set the start page to your library, disable community content, friends and all the extra fluff, and if your library gives you tabs, just hide them forever.

Pixel Dungeon. Mini Metro. Race for the Galaxy (that works better on a tablet though). But above all ... I can play those games anywhere, and I can play them on a device I already have (a phone, any phone). A couple of games of RftG on the lunch break if I feel like it? Yes please. There's a reason why mobile gaming is bigger than PC and console gaming.

And I see a lot of stuff "I would never buy an app for a phone lol" and my question is, why not? If it's good, why not? This goes for games too, we're expected to pay for games in all other formats buy buying a PHONE GAME for like €5? Over my desecrated corpse! Then complain about all the ads everywhere.
I didn't read the "I won't buy" as "I'll pirate". Rather "I will not play mobile games". I'm not assaulted by ads because too many people steal but because the companies just want more money. You'll routinely still see ads after you purchased the product outright, you'll still see in-game transactions for a game you bought, the company will still monetize your data even if you are a paying customer. And eventually you'll be asked to pay to keep a game you already bought but don't own. These are the real reasons people don't want to pay and prefer to just not play or steal. It's never the "poor companies suffering and having to resort to lowly ads", it's the customers always suffering. Don't underestimate corporate greed. You get ads on your $5k TV, more ads on the streaming service you pay in full, ads on the OS you bought retail, and you don't even own the games you buy.

I agree that some games are probably very good and also only playable on a touchscreen. Different paradigm. I'm not a fan of those games and also actively want to avoid looking at the phone too much so I have 0 mobile games on my phones. Not a brick breaker, not a tower defense, nothing, neither bought or pirated. I'm sure many others are like that, hence "I will not buy [or even get for free]" argument.

Last edited:
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar b650m wifi
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengeance 30CL6000
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Lexar NM790 4TB + Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial BX100 250GB
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Lian Li A3 mATX White
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W11 IoT Enterprise LTSC
Pixel Dungeon. Mini Metro. Race for the Galaxy (that works better on a tablet though). But above all ... I can play those games anywhere, and I can play them on a device I already have (a phone, any phone). A couple of games of RftG on the lunch break if I feel like it? Yes please. There's a reason why mobile gaming is bigger than PC and console gaming.

And I see a lot of stuff "I would never buy an app for a phone lol" and my question is, why not? If it's good, why not? This goes for games too, we're expected to pay for games in all other formats buy buying a PHONE GAME for like €5? Over my desecrated corpse! Then complain about all the ads everywhere.
Well I don't buy those games for pretty much the same reasons I don't buy online gacha bullshit on the PC anymore.

Its a glorified slot machine, you have no control over the content, everything is subject to change whenever. Fuck that. I'm not contesting that mobile games can be enjoyable. But the overwhelming majority is just complete and utter junk and a waste of time. There are exceptions, but it really depends on how much time one has for 'on the fly' mobile gaming, if you don't NEED to play on that kind of setup, why would you? I think that's where I agree with @AusWolf . OTOH when I compare mobile gaming to say a Steam Deck... the differences are night and day. Playing on Deck doesn't quite feel like a box of uncomfortable compromises, you've got the same calibre of games, more often than not cheaper and much more expansive, you've got all the control you have on a PC over your content. But its still mobile; nonetheless I'd never just get my Deck to 'play a ten minute game'... if I game, I'm gaming.

Epic can offer me free money and i'll refuse it.
Right? I'm playing through a free Death Stranding and Control and still... I don't even feel the slightest urge to give them money. And I even love what Tim Sweeney is doing to the market for digital distribution, fighting a good fight. But as long as their EGS is such a slow, unresponsive mess I just can't, don't want to, and will minimize my visits there. To illustrate, I've even put my Death Stranding shortcut straight on the desktop so I don't have to go through the EGS library and store to start it up. I click the icon, EGS starts in background, and I'm in the game. I don't do this for ANY of my Steam based games, or GoG.

I didn't read the "I won't buy" as "I'll pirate". Rather "I will not play mobile games". I'm not assaulted by ads because too many people steal but because the companies just want more money. You'll routinely still see ads after you purchased the product outright, you'll still see in-game transactions for a game you bought, the company will still monetize your data even if you are a paying customer. And eventually you'll be asked to pay to keep a game you already bought but don't own. These are the real reasons people don't want to pay and prefer to just not play or steal. It's never the "poor companies suffering and having to resort to lowly ads", it's the customers always suffering. Don't underestimate corporate greed. You get ads on your $5k TV, more ads on the streaming service you pay in full, ads on the OS you bought retail, and you don't even own the games you buy.

I agree that some games are probably very good and also only playable on a touchscreen. Different paradigm. I'm not a fan of those games and also actively want to avoid looking at the phone too much so I have 0 mobile games on my phones. Not a brick breaker, not a tower defense, nothing, neither bought or pirated. I'm sure many others are like that, hence "I will not buy [or even get for free]" argument.
Exactly this. I just feel in every fiber of my body that I'm entering a commercial clusterfk and I've learned to avoid that like the plague. Simply because it NEVER stops at just being a good deal for everyone. They always want more. Greed never stops, and with that, you're committed to undergoing constant changes that you need to keep track of, to avoid being screwed over. I present a massive middle finger to that strategy by just not taking part in it. No, you can't incentivize me, salesman, now kindly fuck off while I manage my own entertainment at a price and set of conditions I want. And with that, you haven't got anything to sell me anyway; I've already got a better product in my hands. I'm a big promotor of 'the customer is always right'. Either get with that program, or no deal - that's the balance of power as it should be. Commerce is here to serve us. Not the other way around.

The funny thing is, lots of indie studios seem to have understood that kind of demand in the market for gaming. Lots of independent creators too - they give free content and open a donation 'whatever you want' button next to it. With the ultra-low barrier of entry to actually make half decent content, I think that's the way to go. Yes, the price for content will and must go down, not up, which has been the mojo of triple A gaming lately 'because development is so expensive' (its really not, that's just a simple matter of project management and scope choices) - and then you learn the better half of the budget is actually spent on marketing campaigns. In other words, you're not only paying that price to pay for THEIR marketing to sell YOU a game, you also know that money hasn't actually gone to making a game at all. Oh yeah, don't forget franchise and licensing 'costs', another thing that we don't really see in the game itself other than the logo and reskin they chose. And suddenly it becomes crystal clear why indie games tend to just be better and offer more.

Last edited:
Keyboard Generic PS/2
I also have a 19 years old Steam account and tbh I've never really cared about or used those so called extra 'features' of Steam.
Yes EGS is simple, I get/install my games and then I'm off to play them and thats it and I'm fine with that.

Yep. That's exactly my reasoning. My Steam account is over 15 years old, to put it in to perspective that's half as long as I've been on this Earth.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 9950X
Storage Intel 905p Optane 960GB boot, +2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
What's the point of mobility if your gaming experience is trashed by tapping on an unresponsive, cold glass panel devoid of any feeling or feedback?
Haptics isn't a new thing so its not really feedbackless, but it is an arguably inferior experience I will grant. I just understand that for mobility, sacrifices must be made. Whether or not they are acceptable? Thats a personal question.

System Name Odyssey
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700x
Motherboard MSI MEG X570 UNIFY
Cooling EKWB EK-MLC Phoenix 240
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport AT 3200MHz 32GB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 5700XT 8 GB
Storage ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TBx2
Display(s) LG 32GK850F-B
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass
Power Supply SeaSonic PRIME 650W Gold
especially since that storefront is only available on iOS in the EU, leaving only Android for the US—the world's second-largest video game market and the country with the highest number of iPhone users.

that's untrue, the store ia available for Android worldwide, not only in the US.

System Name Nebulon B
Software Windows 10 Pro
Haptics isn't a new thing so its not really feedbackless, but it is an arguably inferior experience I will grant. I just understand that for mobility, sacrifices must be made. Whether or not they are acceptable? Thats a personal question.
To me personally, they're not acceptable, especially considering that handheld gaming consoles with proper hardware and controls are available, and some of them are quite affordable, too.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 9950X
To me personally, they're not acceptable, especially considering that handheld gaming consoles with proper hardware and controls are available, and some of them are quite affordable, too.
To each their own comes to mind...

My main issue is the quality of the actual "games."

A click on my phones "Games" store tab seems like a portal to hell:

Screenshot_20241006-163558_Google Play Store.png

RamenJunkie

Are people really suggesting mobile games are "not real games" when the mobile gaming dwarfs the PC and console market combined by like 3x?

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 9950X
Are people really suggesting mobile games are "not real games" when the mobile gaming dwarfs the PC and console market combined by like 3x?
I mean, if half the world is playing garbage like the above, I can see why some prefer the term "brain cancer" rather than "mobile games" frankly.

Sometimes the dollar is not the end all.