• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Epic Games To Bring Free Game Giveaways to Mobile Store To Tempt Players Away from Google, Apple

System Name Nebulon B
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 24 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-4800
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 6750 XT 12 GB
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 2.1 speakers, AKG Y50 headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
I mean, if half the world is playing garbage like the above, I can see why some prefer the term "brain cancer" rather than "mobile games" frankly.

Sometimes the dollar is not the end all.
Exactly. The fact that lots of people like something doesn't make it actually, objectively good. Crisp (chips) sandwich is a popular breakfast dish in the UK, but it's really just a bunch of carbohydrates on another piece of carbohydrates with zero nutritional value and very little taste.

WereCatf

I've never been into mobile gaming. I absolutely despise the touchscreen experience and I don't like modern mobile games, either; I want my games to be pay-once, not microtransaction-filled hellscapes, and I want depth and complexity from the games I play, but modern mobile games are simple, shallow and boring experiences. Literally the only mobile game I've so far enjoyed is...the Android-port of XCOM. There are very few full, proper games like that for Android.

My gut tells me that this Epic Games thing will focus on the mainstream, simplistic, microtransaction filled ones.

I've never been into mobile gaming. I absolutely despise the touchscreen experience and I don't like modern mobile games, either; I want my games to be pay-once, not microtransaction-filled hellscapes, and I want depth and complexity from the games I play, but modern mobile games are simple, shallow and boring experiences. Literally the only mobile game I've so far enjoyed is...the Android-port of XCOM. There are very few full, proper games like that for Android.

My gut tells me that this Epic Games thing will focus on the mainstream, simplistic, microtransaction filled ones.
There are plenty of ‘pay once, no ads’ games on mobile. Been playing through Hyper Light Drifter (great game) lately then will move on to Sympthony of the Night. Also, there are other, free with Netflix games that are equally as good and otherwise don’t contain ads like Sonic Mania, Hades, TMNT: Shredders Revenge, GTA: Collection, and Dead Cells to name a few. And why is this thread acting like the Backbone or the MG-X Pro (which I use and it’s fantastic) don’t exist? These games on mobile are well suited for an in and out gaming experience especially if you watch live sports (play during ad breaks or halftime), or have a family where getting time in front of your pc can be challenging.

And it amazes me to think that there are people who despise touchscreens so much that games like Into the Breach, Final Fantasy Tactics, or even Angry Birds would be considered far inferior with a touchscreen compared to a controller.

WereCatf

And why is this thread acting like the Backbone or the MG-X Pro (which I use and it’s fantastic) don’t exist?
Maybe because people haven't heard of those? I have no idea what those are, for example. I also don't know why you're even asking me to begin with.
And it amazes me to think that there are people who despise touchscreens so much that games like Into the Breach, Final Fantasy Tactics, or even Angry Birds would be considered far inferior with a touchscreen compared to a controller.
What does one have to do with the other? Liking or tolerating controllers isn't in any way or form related to touchscreen other than fitting under the general concept of an input method. Me, I don't like either input method, but I do vastly despise touchscreen input way more.

Maybe because people haven't heard of those? I have no idea what those are, for example. I also don't know why you're even asking me to begin with.

What does one have to do with the other? Liking or tolerating controllers isn't in any way or form related to touchscreen other than fitting under the general concept of an input method. Me, I don't like either input method, but I do vastly despise touchscreen input way more.
So anti touch screen and controllers then? Wow, that explains a lot. I’ll assume you’re kb/m only but I’ve learned not to assume anything at this point. Regardless, good for you. Cheers.

I just don't have a need to play video games when I'm not home. I don't remember carrying my Gameboys or PSP out of the house.

I can see mobile games being easier in a household with a lot of people, since there most likely won't be enough space for multiple PCs and consoles. I don't trust sharing a PC with another person, and a lot of games require admin rights, so standard accounts won't work.

System Name Nebulon B
Software Windows 10 Pro
There are plenty of ‘pay once, no ads’ games on mobile. Been playing through Hyper Light Drifter (great game) lately then will move on to Sympthony of the Night. Also, there are other, free with Netflix games that are equally as good and otherwise don’t contain ads like Sonic Mania, Hades, TMNT: Shredders Revenge, GTA: Collection, and Dead Cells to name a few. And why is this thread acting like the Backbone or the MG-X Pro (which I use and it’s fantastic) don’t exist? These games on mobile are well suited for an in and out gaming experience especially if you watch live sports (play during ad breaks or halftime), or have a family where getting time in front of your pc can be challenging.

Angry Birds is fine, I'll give you that. But it doesn't compare against any story-driven PC game. Firing up something quick during an ad break is not the same as disappearing into a different world for a few hours. It amazes me that there are people who think it's a comparable experience.

Angry Birds is fine, I'll give you that. But it doesn't compare against any story-driven PC game. Firing up something quick during an ad break is not the same as disappearing into a different world for a few hours. It amazes me that there are people who think it's a comparable experience.
Never said they were comparable. Each has its place. I’d never give up my 77” oled / 7800x3d/4090 rig for mobile gaming. I will say give hyper light drifter a try though—there is a strong element of escapism there even on mobile if I’m honest.

System Name Nebulon B
Software Windows 10 Pro
Never said they were comparable. Each has its place. I’d never give up my 77” oled / 7800x3d/4090 rig for mobile gaming. I will say give hyper light drifter a try though—there is a strong element of escapism there even on mobile if I’m honest.
That's fine - but there are people who think they are comparable, quoting sales numbers and everything. All I'm saying is that it's an apples to oranges comparison. Just because mobile games sell, it doesn't mean they provide the same experience. Tesco outsells McDonald's 10 to 1, but where do you go when you crave a Big Mac?