• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

2022-X58/1366 PIN Motherboards NVME M.2 SSD BIOS MOD Collection

System Name UnDead7
Processor Xeon X5675 @4Ghz Summer 6C / Winter 6C/12T
Motherboard GA-X58A-UD7
Cooling Noctua NHU12
Memory 6x4GB Kingston KHX1600C10D3/4G @800Mhz CL10
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 6GB
Storage Samsung NVMe 980 Pro 2TB + 980 1TB
Case P193 Antec
Power Supply Corsair TX750
it is wise, especially if your motherboard doesnt have a dual bios or a blind flashing method.
ask around you maybe someone has an old motherboard from 2010 that he can give away, and check the list to see if it is supported. investing money though... not worth it. it s nice with hardware you get for free, but if you have to spend money, better buy a Z97 or newer with onboard nvme support.

to all readers : you can kill your motherboard if you dont pay attention to what you are doing with your bios. some motherboard will offer rescue options, some others will NOT. so always be VERY careful to what you do in term of bios flashing.

System Name PC1
Processor Intel Core i5 12600K Stock
Motherboard Z690 GAMING X DDR4
Cooling Artic Alpine 17 CO
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z RGB DDR4-4400MHz CL19-26-26-46 1.50V 32GB (2x8GB)
Video Card(s) GeForce RTX™ 3090 GAMING X TRIO 24G
Storage Adata Legend 710 NMVE 512GB + 1TB Adata Legend 710 NMVE
Display(s) Samsung Monitor Gaming 25" Odyssey G4
Case Saikano TX4 Black
Power Supply EVGA 850 GR 80Plus Gold
Mouse Cooler master CM310
it is wise, especially if your motherboard doesnt have a dual bios or a blind flashing method.
ask around you maybe someone has an old motherboard from 2010 that he can give away, and check the list to see if it is supported. investing money though... not worth it. it s nice with hardware you get for free, but if you have to spend money, better buy a Z97 or newer with onboard nvme support.

to all readers : you can kill your motherboard if you dont pay attention to what you are doing with your bios. some motherboard will offer rescue options, some others will NOT. so always be VERY careful to what you do in term of bios flashing.
Yes, good idea. Anyway, the X58SO was my personal computer a long time ago. Now it's a bit slow and only supports 24GB DDR3 and SATA II, but I wanted to turn it on to reminisce about old times. That's why I started researching to add new things to it, but I see that it's not compatible with everything nowadays."

vladan

I've installed Ismail's update on P6X58D-E running Windows XP 64 bit. Unfortunately the result was close to zero. The BIOS starting picture was beautiful though. The only sign of a new BIOS appeared as a request of some useless driver. Can anyone come up with some productive idea? PS memory installed: WD_black SN850X 4tb

IMGa.jpg
Clipboard01.jpg

System Name Lenovo ThinkCentre
Processor AMD 5650GE
Motherboard Lenovo
Memory 32 GB DDR4
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Mouse Lenovo
Keyboard Lenovo
Software W11 Pro 64 bit
I've installed Ismail's update on P6X58D-E running Windows XP 64 bit. Unfortunately the result was close to zero. The BIOS starting picture was beautiful though. The only sign of a new BIOS appeared as a request of some useless driver. Can anyone come up with some productive idea? PS memory installed: WD_black SN850X 4tb
Windows XP can't recognise a hard drive greater than 2TB.
I think there was a work around for that too, but I don't know it.

vladan

Today I have tried another ssd - Cricial 3d 1 TB. The result was the same.

System Name The beast and the little runt.
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X - Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING - ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570
Cooling Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4a - NH-D15 chromax.black with IPPC Industrial 3000 RPM 120/140 MM fans.
Memory G.SKILL TRIDENT Z ROYAL GOLD/SILVER 32 GB (2 x 16 GB and 4 x 8 GB) 3600 MHz CL14-15-15-35 1.45 volts
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 4060 OC LOW PROFILE - GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC
Storage Samsung 980 PRO 1 TB + 2 TB - Samsung 870 EVO 4 TB - 2 x WD RED PRO 16 GB + WD ULTRASTAR 22 TB
Display(s) Asus 27" TUF VG27AQL1A and a Dell 24" for dual setup
Case Phanteks Enthoo 719/LUXE 2 BLACK
Audio Device(s) Onboard on both boards
Power Supply Phanteks Revolt X 1200W
Mouse Logitech G903 Lightspeed Wireless Gaming Mouse
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum
Software WINDOWS 10 PRO 64 BITS on both systems
Benchmark Scores Se more about my 2 in 1 system here: kortlink.dk/2ca4x
I´ll be dam, there are still people running X58 and NVMe ssd on them. Cool. I dit the thing back in 2017 with out any bios mod or third party software used. The SSD i sed had a little secret called a OPT-ROM that made legacy bios see the ssd as an ide-drive. The SSD was an Samsung 950 PRO 250 GB nmve ssd. But still freaking sweet as boot and shutdown + open programmet was fast and the systemwas very responsive. Still faster than a compareble sata SSD back then.

This was my beloved X58 system with an nvme SSD when i had it.

Bioos, boot and shutdown video i made

This video only show a faster boot.

But yeah X58 was something special.

MikeZX

Love me some X58 1366 motherboards! i have 7 of them, 4 of which are built PC's! I built all my kids x58 computers. I have a Rampage 2 extreme, rampage 3 Gene, Sabretooth, 2 rampage 3 extremes and 2 rampage 3 Black editions! The black edition is my favorite computer! I play cyberpunk at 1080p on it. I am a huge fan of the Asus Extreme series, i have all the generations new in box still.

Attachments

• AR3 one.jpg
    AR3 one.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 16
  • AR3BE one powered on.jpg
    AR3BE one powered on.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 16
  • AR3BE two bench.jpg
    AR3BE two bench.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 15
  • i7 990x in AR3BE.jpg
    i7 990x in AR3BE.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 17
  • AR3BE two.jpg
    AR3BE two.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 23
  • New in boxes AR motherboards.jpg
    New in boxes AR motherboards.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 15

allanmb

Hi, I have a GA-EX58-UD3R Rev 1.6 Motherboard and am trying to get my NVME PCIe adapter to boot. Can you please help? My hardware IDs for the NVME adapter are:

PCI\VEN_1E4B&DEV_1202&SUBSYS_12021E4B&REV_01
PCI\VEN_1E4B&DEV_1202&SUBSYS_12021E4B
PCI\VEN_1E4B&DEV_1202&CC_010802
PCI\VEN_1E4B&DEV_1202&CC_0108

System Name UnDead7
Motherboard GA-X58A-UD7
Cooling Noctua NHU12
Case P193 Antec
Today I have tried another ssd - Cricial 3d 1 TB. The result was the same.

did you check if this drive was listed in your bios mod ? i guess not... so not detected, everything is normal.
you cant have all the drives of the world in this bios mod, if it s not one of those that was included by Ismail, then you ll have to do it yourself (not really difficult, needs some steps though, you ll have to read the past pages for that, you obviously did not, good news though, it doesnt take hours to read and understand what has to be done)

I´ll be dam, there are still people running X58 and NVMe ssd on them. Cool. I dit the thing back in 2017 with out any bios mod or third party software used. The SSD i sed had a little secret called a OPT-ROM that made legacy bios see the ssd as an ide-drive.

yup, that s the rom that has been included in the bios, i guess some work had to be done to make it behave as a controller, but basically, that s how they did it.

Love me some X58 1366 motherboards!

if only they didnt use so much power. but you cant get everything for free ;) love your systems :)

Hi, I have a GA-EX58-UD3R Rev 1.6 Motherboard and am trying to get my NVME PCIe adapter to boot. Can you please help? My hardware IDs for the NVME adapter are:

last month i did that with some heavy fever and could have bricked the motherboard of the person requesting it.
today is over 30°c in my computer room and i would hate to break your computer.
you could do it yourself, everything is explained, i can provide extra help if needed, but it s not safe if i do it for you.

System Name The beast and the little runt.
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X - Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING - ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570
Cooling Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4a - NH-D15 chromax.black with IPPC Industrial 3000 RPM 120/140 MM fans.
Memory G.SKILL TRIDENT Z ROYAL GOLD/SILVER 32 GB (2 x 16 GB and 4 x 8 GB) 3600 MHz CL14-15-15-35 1.45 volts
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 4060 OC LOW PROFILE - GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC
Storage Samsung 980 PRO 1 TB + 2 TB - Samsung 870 EVO 4 TB - 2 x WD RED PRO 16 GB + WD ULTRASTAR 22 TB
Display(s) Asus 27" TUF VG27AQL1A and a Dell 24" for dual setup
Case Phanteks Enthoo 719/LUXE 2 BLACK
Audio Device(s) Onboard on both boards
Power Supply Phanteks Revolt X 1200W
Mouse Logitech G903 Lightspeed Wireless Gaming Mouse
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum
Software WINDOWS 10 PRO 64 BITS on both systems
Benchmark Scores Se more about my 2 in 1 system here: kortlink.dk/2ca4x
did you check if this drive was listed in your bios mod ? i guess not... so not detected, everything is normal.
you cant have all the drives of the world in this bios mod, if it s not one of those that was included by Ismail, then you ll have to do it yourself (not really difficult, needs some steps though, you ll have to read the past pages for that, you obviously did not, good news though, it doesnt take hours to read and understand what has to be done)

yup, that s the rom that has been included in the bios, i guess some work had to be done to make it behave as a controller, but basically, that s how they did it.

if only they didnt use so much power. but you cant get everything for free ;) love your systems :)

last month i did that with some heavy fever and could have bricked the motherboard of the person requesting it.
today is over 30°c in my computer room and i would hate to break your computer.
you could do it yourself, everything is explained, i can provide extra help if needed, but it s not safe if i do it for you.
Yup, but i can garante that it worked great, when it worked. I am saying that because for what i could see Asus and Gigabyte X58 board was great to get it to work with stock bios and all, while EVGA and some other board vendors failed completely.

I ran my X58 with Samsung 950 PRO ssd for 3 years before moiving on to AM4 (The system i have now back in 2021). It was such a blast combined with a CPU (I7 980X) that could oc up to 4.75 ghz (all throw for daily use dailed back to 4,4 GHz as it was aircooled) and a GTX 1080 TI. It was indeed for a X58 system fast and responsive.

allanmb

I have downdloaded the bios for my motherboard but am struggling to flash it. Q-flash reports "Incorrect file size". My version of @bios fails to intialise. It can't load FBios.dll. I also tried using the version of @bios in the readme but that doesn't run either. It just reports "Load library failed !". How can I flash my bios please?
Thanks

System Name UnDead7
Motherboard GA-X58A-UD7
Cooling Noctua NHU12
Case P193 Antec
@allanmb you need to provide details when asking this kind of question.
which motherboard
which bios

System Name UnDead7
Motherboard GA-X58A-UD7
Cooling Noctua NHU12
Case P193 Antec
you should try with FLASHSPI.EXE from a freedos bootable usb stick (use RUFUS to generate one)

but i think i red something about wrong size around page 15... not much free time today. try flashing from freedos with flashspi. if you get the same error, check between page 10 and 20 of this thread i think i remember something about wrong size, not sure. will have more time next monday.

there s a txt saying you should use @bios in those situation but i dont really trust windows based flashers.
on my motherboard (UD7) it s always been flashspi from beginning to the end. and my apologies for asking the motherboard type, didnt realize it was 2 posts above. did you mod the bios to add your own drive ? CBROM for repacking, etc ?

i checked your nvme is a MAXIO ? there is zero chances it is included by default, you have to extract one of the mods, patch it with hex editor, repack the mod.

Run Rufus in Windows
  1. Device: select the USB flash drive.
  2. Boot selection: FreeDOS.
  3. Partition scheme: MBR.
  4. Target system: BIOS (or UEFI-CSM)
  5. Click START.

Last edited:

allanmb

you should try with FLASHSPI.EXE from a freedos bootable usb stick (use RUFUS to generate one)

but i think i red something about wrong size around page 15... not much free time today. try flashing from freedos with flashspi. if you get the same error, check between page 10 and 20 of this thread i think i remember something about wrong size, not sure. will have more time next monday.

there s a txt saying you should use @bios in those situation but i dont really trust windows based flashers.
on my motherboard (UD7) it s always been flashspi from beginning to the end. and my apologies for asking the motherboard type, didnt realize it was 2 posts above. did you mod the bios to add your own drive ? CBROM for repacking, etc ?

i checked your nvme is a MAXIO ? there is zero chances it is included by default, you have to extract one of the mods, patch it with hex editor, repack the mod.

Run Rufus in Windows
  1. Device: select the USB flash drive.
  2. Boot selection: FreeDOS.
  3. Partition scheme: MBR.
  4. Target system: BIOS (or UEFI-CSM)
  5. Click START.
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I will get the bootable USB in order to flash my bios. I didn't realise I would have to patch the bios manually. I will try and find the relevant info in this thread and try it out.
Thanks again :)

System Name UnDead7
Motherboard GA-X58A-UD7
Cooling Noctua NHU12
Case P193 Antec
@allanmb :

basically :

you take Ismail's modded bios
you get CBROM.EXE version 155 (the version is very important)
you extract one of the samsung mods included like in the post
you remove the mod from the bios
you get a good hex editor, and you locate the vendor and the device hex code. beware, those codes run by pair, and are inverted
you replace the samsung codes with your own codes, still inverted
you dont forget to SAVE the modifications like i did else you ll turn crazy ;)
you rename the mod with your vendor id so it s easier to keep track of what you did
you reintegrate the mod in the bios
you flash it to the motherboard

that s the procedure. now.... you still have to be slightly familiar with command line, it s not exactly 0 effort, but it s not hard either.

good luck, i ll try to keep an eye on the forum and help if i can

files are attached

hexeditor here :

concerning the inverted pairs, i know it s not clear :

samsung is 144D (vendor) and one device example is A809
in the mod you ll have to look for 4D 14 and 09 A8
then replace 4D 14 by 4B 1E and 09 A8 by 02 12 because your drive is 1E4B 1202

i hope thats.... clear ? it s not but i think you get the idea.

Attachments

• CBROM155.zip
    116.2 KB · Views: 11
  • FLASHSPI.zip
    35 KB · Views: 11

vladan

On what page one can find this list?

System Name UnDead7
Motherboard GA-X58A-UD7
Cooling Noctua NHU12
Case P193 Antec
first page, first post
under the list of motherboards, there's the drives

the thing is if your drive is not one of those that Ismail had for test, you ll have to modify one of the mod of the bios (extract, remove, edit, and add to bios) and replace some HEX values.

depending on your motherboard, there are some specific tools to use (gigabyte uses cbrom155, problem is i dont know for asus)

one easier way could be to try one of the drives Ismail used, but it s been some time now, newer drives were released, and it could be not so interesting to get a 500GB nvme when there are some brand new 1TBs on the market.

that s up to you and the command line skills you have, and researching what tool you need to extract a mod file from the bios, reading is again, the key, as i remember for some motherboard brand, things got even more complex, with checksum problems and encryption and restricted space etc.

basically, you need to change 4 hex values, but in fact, it can be quite a long process depending on your specific motherboard.