• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Ryzen Performance Review Leaked: Promising

System Name Planet Espresso
Processor 13700KF @ 5.4GHZ UV - 220W cap
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit EVO
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2TB WD SN850, 4TB WD SN850X
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case Jonsbo Z20
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard 65% HE Keyboard
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
What? soooo clock speed doesnt matter for gaming is that what your saying? are you really that dense? :slap:

:roll: 20% ahead? wow I think the problem is you have no idea how to read, you might need to go back to the classroom boy and learn the basic's first before commenting and making yourself look like a total dumb ass!

Maybe you work for intel? and your scared? and your job is to inflict as much BS into these kind of threads to mislead people? ether way your comments are so incorrect and have no real meaning that you have just told us all that read this thread how in-mature and full of trolling BS you are :)

I like the rage. makes me happy, tells me you care. Also the engrish... in-mature lol.

The 6700K is 20% ahead of the Zen in those leaks under gaming :cool:

With this line below heralds the noted Birth of another idealist FanBoy

Time will Tell if your Right or Full of Bovine Reprocessed Grass

PS Welcome to TPU
Joker2988
Yes and no clock for clock and expected price to performance value it does so convincingly enough. The fact that it can even compete closely with Intel's behemoth's is a big deal they haven't had anything remotely competitive basically since C2D's arrival unless you low power APU's for niche markets or mobile. It's hasn't been completely raw performance that's deterred people from buying AMD in recent years either that's part of it, but they've also been decimated in terms of efficiency when overclocked dual cores could beat or compete well against their 6 or 8 core CPU's for less cost. On top of that they didn't really have any particular area's they excelled at with their CPU's in recent years at least now they have segmentation's of the CPU market where they have some real value advantage like they did with Athlon. AMD might not be back to A64 levels of success, but they've returned to Athlon levels of market penetration it certainly seems.

Except when it gets spanked by a stock 6600k in games

If Ryzen is closely competitive at minimum frame rates that's all I care about the average and max aren't so crucial they are more like additional perks. I need more context which requires more benchmarks with retail products. What I'm saying is your minimum FPS should be considered your base line average you strive to increase not your average or max FPS. I don't want to drive a vehicle that idles roughly and surges at certain rpm's I want it running smooth and consistent and that's how I want my graphics as well.

Seeing as how the 8 core 16 thread has a TDP of ~95w, I'd expect a 4 core 8 thread to have a TDP of like ~60W.
If not for leakage it would be around 47.5W halving it, but I'd expect around 55W to 60W realistically with 65W as a worst case scenario which unlikely as hell. Regardless worst cast 30W of headroom for overclocking or raising the baseline clock speeds is significant enough. AMD made a really good chip this time around it looks like that should offer very competitive value for dollar and that's the biggest priority to most consumers.

OH MY GOD? IT SCALES with clockspeed!?!? well thanks for pointing that out, that changes EVERYTHING.

Except wait, nope... zen still has a lower clockspeed and won't really make sense for games.
Better IPC clock for clock speed scaling will reduce the single threaded gap while also widening the multi threaded advantages, but you already knew that and are just being pretentious. It might not meet your "exclusive" needs, but meet plenty of users "broad" spectrum of application needs.

Zen might be amazing! The review that gave origin to this news thread actually had a easter egg. Check this out guys:
ZenOC@Air=5G

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/5krghq/remember_the_canard_pc_magazine_about_zen_it_has/
If it's 5GHz on air for 8C/16T god that's going to be mighty powerful to the point where I just want to see it's real time ray-tracing potential.

Last edited:
Case Jonsbo Z20
Audio Device(s) Yes
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard 65% HE Keyboard
Software Windows 11
If Ryzen is closely competitive at minimum frame rates that's all I care about the average and max aren't so crucial they are more like additional perks. I need more context which requires more benchmarks with retail products. What I'm saying is your minimum FPS should be considered your base line average you strive to increase not your average or max FPS. I don't want to drive a vehicle that idles roughly and surges at certain rpm's I want it running smooth and consistent and that's how I want my graphics as well.
Better IPC clock for clock speed scaling will reduce the single threaded gap while also widening the multi threaded advantages, but you already knew that and are just being pretentious. It might not meet your "exclusive" needs, but meet plenty of users "broad" spectrum of application needs.

All true - again we have no clue on pricing, final clocks or overclockability; all i did was point out the gaming performance at avg fps. There are a bunch of if's surrounding this whole leak and real reviews need to be released, but there are also two 'enthusiast' markets - high end gaming, and high end workstation, and gaming is the only growing segment in PCs.

If the FX series gamed really well but sucked at blender excel and handbrake, half the people on this forum would be rocking FX CPUs...

High end workstation cost of entry is also a lot more expensive entry than mid range or high end gaming market excluding the GPU at least. We can't know for certainly how many people would prefer more workstation oriented systems, but have to settle on more consumer orientated ones due to the added cost. As you scale CPU cores particularly above 2c it gets exponentially more expensive especially since Intel hasn't been challenged in a long while outside of the low end market. AMD actually has something that stands out as a big leap forward if it meets efficiency, performance, and price tick boxes.

That's probably true about the FX CPU's, but at least some people would be on FX CPU's for those other tasks and benefit from it. If the minimum frame rate were better on a AMD CPU, but average and max FPS were lower than a Intel CPU I think you'd potentially find a lot of people on the AMD side of things, but it would depend how wide the gap between things were. We value fluid minimum frame rate a lot higher in most cases look no further than emulators like Dolphin.

Last edited:
System Name Night Rider | Mini LAN PC | Workhorse
Processor AMD R7 5800X3D | Ryzen 1600X | i7 970
Motherboard MSi AM4 Pro Carbon | GA- | Gigabyte EX58-UD5
Cooling Noctua U9S Twin Fan| Stock Cooler, Copper Core)| Big shairkan B
Memory 2x8GB DDR4 G.Skill Ripjaws 3600MHz| 2x8GB Corsair 3000 | 6x2GB DDR3 1300 Corsair
Video Card(s) MSI AMD 6750XT | 6500XT | MSI RX 580 8GB
Storage 1TB WD Black NVME / 250GB SSD /2TB WD Black | 500GB SSD WD, 2x1TB, 1x750 | WD 500 SSD/Seagate 320
Display(s) LG 27" 1440P| Samsung 20" S20C300L/DELL 15" | 22" DELL/19"DELL
Case LIAN LI PC-18 | Mini ATX Case (custom) | Atrix C4 9001
Audio Device(s) Onboard | Onbaord | Onboard
Power Supply Silverstone 850 | Silverstone Mini 450W | Corsair CX-750
Mouse Coolermaster Pro | Rapoo V900 | Gigabyte 6850X
Keyboard MAX Keyboard Nighthawk X8 | Creative Fatal1ty eluminx | Some POS Logitech
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 | Windows 10 Pro 64 | Windows 7 Pro 64/Windows 10 Home
I like the rage. makes me happy, tells me you care. Also the engrish... in-mature lol.

The 6700K is 20% ahead of the Zen in those leaks under gaming :cool:

Rage? What rage? and this coming from someone that cant even understand Pictures? you make me laugh :roll: all your doing is proving me more right the more you talk, I gotta get me some popcorn so I can continue to watch your ridicules replies.

The 6700K is clocked 23-27% higher then the AMD, how can you not even read or understand the graph? seriously?

Since you have the same CPU and my guess is your scared that this upcoming AMD CPU is going to beat your over priced intel, down clock yours to 2.4GHz and tell me if it beats this AMD, since thats how your theory works, go on do it!

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name White DJ in Detroit
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
I did - because it doesn't matter. The comment I was responding to was referring to game performance.

Here is my process: Look at chart, see score. See Intel midrange chip from last gen ahead of AMD high-end chip releasing in 2 months; see Intel high end desktop chip 20% ahead. Feel sad, point out reality of data.

Here is the alternative process: Look at chart, make excuses as to why score is so low. Discount data.

This is a bit of a brainfart. I do them all the time.

He is right that we should contain the hype though. We most definitely should contain the hype, as it will cause a huge blow to AMD if they don't live up to it.

Case Jonsbo Z20
Audio Device(s) Yes
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard 65% HE Keyboard
Software Windows 11
Rage? What rage? and this coming from someone that cant even understand Pictures? you make me laugh :roll: all your doing is proving me more right the more you talk, I gotta get me some popcorn so I can continue to watch your ridicules replies.

The 6700K is clocked 23-27% higher then the AMD, how can you not even read or understand the graph? seriously?

Since you have the same CPU and my guess is your scared that this upcoming AMD CPU is going to beat your over priced intel, down clock yours to 2.4GHz and tell me if it beats this AMD, since thats how your theory works, go on do it!

That's a pretty terrible guess. In fact most of your responses seem to be blindly ignoring the fact that the clocks that AMD is rumored ship at are 3.4-3.6 Ghz, which still has them behind current gen; never mind it will be up against a 4.2ghz quad that boosts to 4.5.

That's probably true about the FX CPU's, but at least some people would be on FX CPU's for those other tasks and benefit from it. If the minimum frame rate were better on a AMD CPU, but average and max FPS were lower than a Intel CPU I think you'd potentially find a lot of people on the AMD side of things, but it would depend how wide the gap between things were. We value fluid minimum frame rate a lot higher in most cases look no further than emulators like Dolphin.

I think that this generally applies more to videocards than the CPU platform (in terms of min-max) - but yeah... would like to see more data.
http://www.gamersnexus.net/game-bench/1911-gta-v-cpu-benchmark-4790k-3570k-9590-more

Last edited:
System Name Intel® X99 Wellsburg
Processor Intel® Core™ i7-5820K - 4.5GHz
Motherboard ASUS Rampage V E10 (1801)
Cooling EK RGB Monoblock + EK XRES D5 Revo Glass PWM
Memory CMD16GX4M4A2666C15
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon
Storage Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 1TB /850 EVO 1TB / WD Black 2TB
Display(s) Samsung P2450H
Case Lian Li PC-O11 WXC
Audio Device(s) CREATIVE Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply EVGA 1200 P2 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G900 / SS QCK
Keyboard Deck 87 Francium Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Easy, easy... we will see what will happen.
I doubt AMD 8 Core will beat i7-6800K overclocked.
Maybe even not i7-5820K. Anyway owners of X99 platform and in better position than Z170-Z270.
I knew that, ... 4 cores is time to become mid class. And Intel probably plan that for Coffee Lake.
If he launch 6 core with high frequency we could get really fast and good CPU for mainstream.
For now people with X99 with better overclocking, more core, cache frequency capable to OC and improve performance could be better competitor to AMD.
AMD prepare this CPU long time, they wait him as Messiah.
Imagine if Intel lock engenieers in lab for 3 years to make new CPU.
Off course they could launch something good, destiny depend of him on further.

System Name No name / Purple Haze
Processor Phenom II 1100T @ 3.8Ghz / Pentium 4 3.4 EE Gallatin @ 3.825Ghz
Motherboard MSI 970 Gaming/ Abit IC7-MAX3
Cooling CM Hyper 212X / Scythe Andy Samurai Master (CPU) - Modded Ati Silencer 5 rev. 2 (GPU)
Memory 8GB GEIL GB38GB2133C10ADC + 8GB G.Skill F3-14900CL9-4GBXL / 2x1GB Crucial Ballistix Tracer PC4000
Video Card(s) Asus R9 Fury X Strix (4096 SP's/1050 Mhz)/ PowerColor X850XT PE @ (600/1230) AGP + (HD3850 AGP)
Storage Samsung 250 GB / WD Caviar 160GB
Display(s) Benq XL2411T
Audio Device(s) motherboard / Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro + Front panel
Power Supply Tagan BZ 900W / Corsair HX620w
Mouse Zowie AM
Keyboard Qpad MK-50
Software Windows 7 Pro 64Bit / Windows XP
Benchmark Scores 64CU Fury: http://www.3dmark.com/fs/11269229 / X850XT PE http://www.3dmark.com/3dm05/5532432
Easy, easy... we will see what will happen.
I doubt AMD 8 Core will beat i7-6800K overclocked.
Maybe even not i7-5820K. Anyway owners of X99 platform and in better position than Z170-Z270.
I knew that, ... 4 cores is time to become mid class. And Intel probably plan that for Coffee Lake.
If he launch 6 core with high frequency we could get really fast and good CPU for mainstream.
For now people with X99 with better overclocking, more core, cache frequency capable to OC and improve performance could be better competitor to AMD.
AMD prepare this CPU long time, they wait him as Messiah.
Imagine if Intel lock engenieers in lab for 3 years to make new CPU.
Off course they could launch something good, destiny depend of him on further.

Check this out:

Zen might be amazing! The review that gave origin to this news thread actually had a easter egg. Check this out guys:
ZenOC@Air=5G

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/5krghq/remember_the_canard_pc_magazine_about_zen_it_has/

Joker2988

well 5ghz is not far since the diff between 95W till 140W still has room for improvement, we may even see 6ghz on air. All this are just speculations but i for one believe Ryzen will be a big success since amd are betting everything on this cpu

System Name No name / Purple Haze
Processor Phenom II 1100T @ 3.8Ghz / Pentium 4 3.4 EE Gallatin @ 3.825Ghz
Motherboard MSI 970 Gaming/ Abit IC7-MAX3
Cooling CM Hyper 212X / Scythe Andy Samurai Master (CPU) - Modded Ati Silencer 5 rev. 2 (GPU)
Memory 8GB GEIL GB38GB2133C10ADC + 8GB G.Skill F3-14900CL9-4GBXL / 2x1GB Crucial Ballistix Tracer PC4000
Video Card(s) Asus R9 Fury X Strix (4096 SP's/1050 Mhz)/ PowerColor X850XT PE @ (600/1230) AGP + (HD3850 AGP)
Storage Samsung 250 GB / WD Caviar 160GB
Display(s) Benq XL2411T
Audio Device(s) motherboard / Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro + Front panel
Power Supply Tagan BZ 900W / Corsair HX620w
Mouse Zowie AM
Keyboard Qpad MK-50
Software Windows 7 Pro 64Bit / Windows XP
Benchmark Scores 64CU Fury: http://www.3dmark.com/fs/11269229 / X850XT PE http://www.3dmark.com/3dm05/5532432
well 5ghz is not far since the diff between 95W till 140W still has room for improvement, we may even see 6ghz on air. All this are just speculations but i for one believe Ryzen will be a big success since amd are betting everything on this cpu

Well the according to HWbot the 6900k does on average 5.1Ghz under LN2... I think 5Ghz is a little bit too much, but who knows! I would be amazed to get 4.5GHz across all cores on air...

System Name Intel® X99 Wellsburg
Processor Intel® Core™ i7-5820K - 4.5GHz
Motherboard ASUS Rampage V E10 (1801)
Cooling EK RGB Monoblock + EK XRES D5 Revo Glass PWM
Memory CMD16GX4M4A2666C15
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon
Storage Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 1TB /850 EVO 1TB / WD Black 2TB
Display(s) Samsung P2450H
Case Lian Li PC-O11 WXC
Audio Device(s) CREATIVE Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply EVGA 1200 P2 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G900 / SS QCK
Keyboard Deck 87 Francium Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
AMD 8 core Zen will be same as i7-6700K on stock settings.

We need to wait more depend what companies are capable to produce today.
If they jump suddenly 50-60% and price will be similar and AMD will ask similar price as Intel.
Now only we will see is it AMD capable with technology from 2016 to build something really new and push Intel to finally give big improvements. Intel launch i7-5960X with only 3.0GHz because he was without competition. They could launch him with 3.5GHz base and 3.9GHz Turbo and people could OC 500-600MHz or more if he optmized better processor for bigger performance difference. But they didn't had need for that and they launch i7-5960X with only 3.0GHz speed.

Processor 7700 Kaby "baeby" @ 4.5 Ghz
Motherboard ASUS MAXIMUS FORMULA IX
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 16 GB
Video Card(s) EVGA 980 Ti SC+
Storage EVO 512 gb
Display(s) 240 Hz
Case ANTEC Twelve Hundred
Power Supply EVGA 1300 Supernova
Mouse Coolermaster Master Mouse MM710
Keyboard Steelseries 6gv2
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Higher than the Light of Revanchist
AMD 8 core Zen will be same as i7-6700K on stock settings.

I believe that to be the case as well, but I believe a maximum overclocked Kaby Lake will surprise many and be an overall better overclocker and easier - The proof is in the pudding :p

System Name Night Rider | Mini LAN PC | Workhorse
Processor AMD R7 5800X3D | Ryzen 1600X | i7 970
Motherboard MSi AM4 Pro Carbon | GA- | Gigabyte EX58-UD5
Cooling Noctua U9S Twin Fan| Stock Cooler, Copper Core)| Big shairkan B
Memory 2x8GB DDR4 G.Skill Ripjaws 3600MHz| 2x8GB Corsair 3000 | 6x2GB DDR3 1300 Corsair
Video Card(s) MSI AMD 6750XT | 6500XT | MSI RX 580 8GB
Storage 1TB WD Black NVME / 250GB SSD /2TB WD Black | 500GB SSD WD, 2x1TB, 1x750 | WD 500 SSD/Seagate 320
Display(s) LG 27" 1440P| Samsung 20" S20C300L/DELL 15" | 22" DELL/19"DELL
Case LIAN LI PC-18 | Mini ATX Case (custom) | Atrix C4 9001
Audio Device(s) Onboard | Onbaord | Onboard
Power Supply Silverstone 850 | Silverstone Mini 450W | Corsair CX-750
Mouse Coolermaster Pro | Rapoo V900 | Gigabyte 6850X
Keyboard MAX Keyboard Nighthawk X8 | Creative Fatal1ty eluminx | Some POS Logitech
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 | Windows 10 Pro 64 | Windows 7 Pro 64/Windows 10 Home
That's a pretty terrible guess. In fact most of your responses seem to be blindly ignoring the fact that the clocks that AMD is rumored ship at are 3.4-3.6 Ghz, which still has them behind current gen; never mind it will be up against a 4.2ghz quad that boosts to 4.5.

Terrible guess? how so? im just stating facts, your the one that is guessing here. Again you are demonstrating to me that you can not read a graph, its not rumoured at all, we already know that the ES sample is clocked at 3.4GHZ with NO turbo clock speed as of yet. AMD even states this in there horizon video that speeds will be above 3.4GHz, maybe you didnt see the video? oh wait you cant understand pictures my bad. So again your hole statement you just said is a terrible guess and you have completely ignored the facts that have been provided to you and us again and again. Honestly mate go back to school you seriously need educating.

Wait! this just in! https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/...-to-reportedly-overclock-5-ghz-on-air.229090/

I think that this generally applies more to videocards than the CPU platform (in terms of min-max) - but yeah... would like to see more data.
http://www.gamersnexus.net/game-bench/1911-gta-v-cpu-benchmark-4790k-3570k-9590-more
Hard to draw much conclusion from that one odd I noticed though is from1440p to 4K the AMD FX-8370E swaps positions with FX-9590 and Intel 4790K which baffling though only conclusion I have that would many much tangible sense from that is at that resolution thermal throttling is a issue and it's more conservative turbo clock speed causes it to do so less. It's intriguing to look at I guess, but not nothing conclusive to draw from it other than illustrating how AMD's IPC has been horrific since C2D dropped despite a huge clock advantage it still got killed. If anything you helped illustrate why IPC and clock speed scaling are once again quite important. We know AMD's Ryzen chip has good IPC, but we have to know how it scales at the same time.

Case Jonsbo Z20
Audio Device(s) Yes
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard 65% HE Keyboard
Software Windows 11
Terrible guess? how so? im just stating facts, your the one that is guessing here. Again you are demonstrating to me that you can not read a graph, its not rumoured at all, we already know that the ES sample is clocked at 3.4GHZ with NO turbo clock speed as of yet. AMD even states this in there horizon video that speeds will be above 3.4GHz, maybe you didnt see the video? oh wait you cant understand pictures my bad. So again your hole statement you just said is a terrible guess and you have completely ignored the facts that have been provided to you and us again and again. Honestly mate go back to school you seriously need educating.

Wait! this just in! https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/...-to-reportedly-overclock-5-ghz-on-air.229090/

You should go find more graphs... and then report back. I need more links... fetch.

Joker2988

leaks = may or may not be true, so more links will make no diff

ryzen release its very close you can even smell it :p

AsRock

TPU addict
So AMD, while not beating Intel, does seem back in the game. Awesome! Can't wait to see how they hold up price-wise.

Thing is for me it's just wasting money upgrading to a newer intel chip, there fore it's pointless for me to upgrade to Zen.

And as seen as it says there is not much gain for Arma 3 well that's it for me as that's a main game were it needs to do better.

Although keeping my eye on it for sure.