• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

As we live the age of game remakes, which game you would like to see to have a remake?

System Name ASUS TUF F15
Processor Intel Core i7-11800H
Motherboard ASUS FX506HC
Cooling Laptop built-in cooling lol
Memory 24 GB @ 3200
Video Card(s) Intel UHD & Nvidia RTX 3050 Mobile
Storage Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB & WD Blue SN520 128 GB
Display(s) Laptop built-in 144 Hz FHD screen
Audio Device(s) LOGITECH 2.1-channel
Power Supply ASUS 180W PSU
Mouse Logitech G604
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex 7 TKL
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 21H2 LTSC
NFS Hot Pursuit 2, NFS High Stakes, NFS 3 Hot Pursuit, NFS Underground (and maybe 2 lol).

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name RogueOne
Processor Xeon W9-3495x
Motherboard ASUS w790E Sage SE
Cooling SilverStone XE360-4677
Memory 128gb Gskill Zeta R5 DDR5 RDIMMs
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 2TB WD SN850X | 2x 8TB GAMMIX S70
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 (G95SC)
Case Thermaltake Core P3 Pro Snow
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on schitt Modi+ & Valhalla 2
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-1600
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11 Pro Workstation
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
That's really the issue with a lot, if not all remakes of games that have gathered a cult following and lots of mod investment. Its the reason Bethesda won't say goodbye to their Creation POS engine, for example. Or think of Heroes of Might and Magic. If you play 3 now, the old version, you've got so much in terms of maps, sequels never really got to that level, and that's really the meat of the game after you've played the campaign(s).

What it does take though for something like that to re-emerge is really to start over from scratch... and yeah its always a huge gamble whether it will take off (Again)... but was that any different back then?

+1, and there is so much in terms of QoL and overall controls/camera that could be vastly improved today in NWN

Man it would be so awesome to have NWN remade by larian. Even if they kept the story the same and just re created what they could on BG3s engine. A man can dream.

System Name Custom
Processor i9 9900k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 arous master
Cooling corsair h150i
Memory 4x8 3200mhz corsair
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 EX Gamer White OC
Storage 500gb Samsung 970 Evo PLus
Display(s) MSi MAG341CQ
Case Lian Li Pc-011 Dynamic
Audio Device(s) Arctis Pro Wireless
Power Supply 850w Seasonic Focus Platinum
Mouse Logitech G403
Keyboard Logitech G110
Man it would be so awesome to have NWN remade by larian. Even if they kept the story the same and just re created what they could on BG3s engine. A man can dream.
That would be cool

Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar b650m wifi
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengeance 30CL6000
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Lexar NM790 4TB + Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial BX100 250GB
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Lian Li A3 mATX White
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W11 IoT Enterprise LTSC
Amen to that.... but we'd be stuck with 5e ruleset, and they'd have to provide the full package, because BG3 for all its qualities is rather limited in character class options once you've pierced the veil. Lots of classes 'end up the same way', lots of skillsets overlap, spellbook is limited...etc.

System Name Planet Espresso
Processor 13700KF @ 5.4GHZ UV - 220W cap
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit EVO
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2TB WD SN850, 4TB WD SN850X
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case Jonsbo Z20
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard 65% HE Keyboard
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
I want classic single player remakes but with added CO-OP. It would be cool to have a mass effect remake but with a halo-style coop option. Or morrowind with coop etc.

I think modern gaming is a really social event - and having classic single player-only options is a bit like going bowling by yourself. Still fun but better with friends.

Processor faster at instructions than yours
Motherboard more nurturing than yours
Cooling frostier than yours
Memory superior scheduling & haphazardly entry than yours
Video Card(s) better rasterization than yours
Storage more ample than yours
Display(s) increased pixels than yours
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) further audible than yours
Power Supply additional amps x volts than yours
Mouse without as much gnawing as yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
VR HMD not as odd looking as yours
Software extra mushier than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
it's never going to happen but in a similar style let Obsidian get another shot at remaking NVN 2 or SW:Kotor but no major studio (including Larian now) wants to deal with those licensing costs when they can just create and maintain their own IPs

Processor 7800X3D
Storage Lexar NM790 4TB + Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial BX100 250GB
Mouse XTRFY M42
it's never going to happen but in a similar style let Obsidian get another shot at remaking NVN 2 or SW:Kotor but no major studio (including Larian now) wants to deal with those licensing costs when they can just create and maintain their own IPs
Yeah its like there's an ocean between the way Games Workshop approaches the gaming space compared to Wizards / Hasbro.

And I don't believe the Warhammer licensing is easy to get either, but man... there's games popping up left and right, all the time, among them pretty legendary ones too.

Its crazy, you'd think Hasbro has noticed the success of TW Warhammer and various other titles... Every time the company strikes me as brutally arrogant and convinced of its own view of the market, which basically spells as 'fuck everyone, as long as we're earning money'. They handled Larian's devotion with the same lack of respect as their communities in D&D and MTG.

System Name Kuro
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D@65W
Motherboard MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk WiFi
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO
Memory Corsair DDR5 6000C30 2x48GB (Hynix M)@6000 30-36-36-76 1.36V
Video Card(s) PNY XLR8 RTX 4070 Ti SUPER 16G@200W
Storage Crucial T500 2TB + WD Blue 8TB
Case Lian Li LANCOOL 216
Power Supply MSI MPG A850G
Software Ubuntu 24.04 LTS + Windows 10 Home Build 19045
Benchmark Scores 17761 C23 Multi@65W
I want classic single player remakes but with added CO-OP. It would be cool to have a mass effect remake but with a halo-style coop option. Or morrowind with coop etc.

I think modern gaming is a really social event - and having classic single player-only options is a bit like going bowling by yourself. Still fun but better with friends.
As an interesting aside - since it is not PC gaming - the second remake of Generation I Pokémon main series games, Let's Go, Pikachu and Let's Go, Eevee, allowed a limited form of local co-op in a decidedly single-player game; You could add another player by detaching the controller, and the second player could wander around with you, and do battles 2-vs-1 with your team lineup.

It might be a fun activity if you have children with you. Mine's not old enough yet.

That formulae is probably not applicable to Morrowind/Oblivion/Skyrim-likes, or Mass Effect, for that matter. I count Skyrim as classic now; It's older now than Morrowind was when Skyrim came out.

Last edited:
Case fancier than yours
And I don't believe the Warhammer licensing is easy to get either, but man... there's games popping up left and right, all the time, among them pretty legendary ones too.
Is that relic games that are making warhammer? They do see to have a number of games coming out, good for them (warhammer, relic, and the fans)
gaming space compared to Wizards / Hasbro
I have zero faith in them other than to milk BG3 for every penny they can before the series becomes dead again

They handled Larian's devotion with the same lack of respect as their communities in D&D and MTG.
as much as I loved BG3 I was glad Larian left the series because you could see Wizards / Hasbro burning them out

Or morrowind with coop etc.
isn't that more or less ESO?

Processor 7800X3D
Mouse XTRFY M42
Is that relic games that are making warhammer? They do see to have a number of games coming out, good for them (warhammer, relic, and the fans)
Relic and many others. Its not just Dawn of War & Space Marine... Creative Assembly and various other studios have and are producing stuff too, its just striking to see so many getting their hands on that franchise while there is so little in the space of D&D and Magic - despite the fact those worlds are pretty much tailor made for lots of games, in all sorts of genres. And what's even more interesting is the absolutely dreadful quality of the overwhelming majority of D&D/Magic related games.

System Name G-Station 1.17 FINAL
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 WiFi
Cooling DeepCool AK620 Digital
Memory Asgard Bragi DDR4-3600CL14 2x16GB
Video Card(s) Sapphire PULSE RX 7900 XTX
Storage 240GB Samsung 840 Evo, 1TB Asgard AN2, 2TB Hiksemi FUTURE-LITE, 320GB+1TB 7200RPM HDD
Display(s) Samsung 34" Odyssey OLED G8
Case Thermaltake Level 20 MT
Audio Device(s) Astro A40 TR + MixAmp
Power Supply Cougar GEX X2 1000W
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Elite (Red)
Software Windows 11 Pro
Relic and many others. Its not just Dawn of War & Space Marine... Creative Assembly and various other studios have and are producing stuff too, its just striking to see so many getting their hands on that franchise while there is so little in the space of D&D and Magic - despite the fact those worlds are pretty much tailor made for lots of games, in all sorts of genres. And what's even more interesting is the absolutely dreadful quality of the overwhelming majority of D&D/Magic related games.
Easy to answer: WotC.

System Name Kuro
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D@65W
Motherboard MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk WiFi
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO
Memory Corsair DDR5 6000C30 2x48GB (Hynix M)@6000 30-36-36-76 1.36V
Video Card(s) PNY XLR8 RTX 4070 Ti SUPER 16G@200W
Storage Crucial T500 2TB + WD Blue 8TB
Case Lian Li LANCOOL 216
Power Supply MSI MPG A850G
Software Ubuntu 24.04 LTS + Windows 10 Home Build 19045
Benchmark Scores 17761 C23 Multi@65W
Anybody up to some classic Star Trek game remakes? Few games have replicated that lumbering spaceship feel of Starfleet Command (Just the first one closely based on Starfleet Battles rules) and Bridge Commander.

The games have not caught up with the recent crop of TV reboots and new series. None that I've heard.

System Name JustGaming
Processor Ryzen 9 7950x3D
Motherboard Asus ProArt X670E-CREATOR WIFI
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 140 Black
Memory G.Skill Trident Z5 DDR5-6000 CL32
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 4090 24Gb
Storage Crucial T500 2TB x 3
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift OLED PG32UCDM
Case Asus ProArt PA602
Audio Device(s) SSL 2+
Power Supply SuperFlower 1200 Platinum
Mouse Razer Deathadder v2
Keyboard Montech Mkey TKL
NFS Most Wanted
Serious Sam: The First/Second Encounter
Midnight club 2.

Aeon of Strife 2: Use Map Settings in Starcraft: BW.

You know the one.

I guess every MOBA today is basically the Aeon of Strife 2 remake. Still, I downloaded that old map and gave it a spin for nostalgia's sake this past weekend. The ability to buy mob-units of your own and control them precisely is missing in modern MOBAs (as Aeon of Strife 2 is based on Starcraft, so having 12, 24, or 36+ units in the endgame wrecking face is allowed).

Processor 7800X3D
Mouse XTRFY M42
Aeon of Strife 2: Use Map Settings in Starcraft: BW.

You know the one.

I guess every MOBA today is basically the Aeon of Strife 2 remake. Still, I downloaded that old map and gave it a spin for nostalgia's sake this past weekend. The ability to buy mob-units of your own and control them precisely is missing in modern MOBAs (as Aeon of Strife 2 is based on Starcraft, so having 12, 24, or 36+ units in the endgame wrecking face is allowed).
Now that is a blast from the past, sheet

Case fancier than yours
D&D and Magic - despite the fact those worlds are pretty much tailor made for lots of games, in all sorts of genres. And what's even more interesting is the absolutely dreadful quality of the overwhelming majority of D&D/Magic related games.
three worst IPs in terms of quality games
3. D&D - these guys were synonymous with CRPG from the late 80's to the early 00 and then just crap until BG3
2. Star Wars - yes in terms of action games that they try to pass off as an RPG they have done better but letting EA have their exclusive license was just stupid and still no good true RPGs or FPS games in long, long time
1. Lord of the Rings - if ever there was an IP made for CRPG and yet...

System Name Purple Haze | Vacuum Box
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D (-30 CO) | Intel® Xeon® E3-1241 v3
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk Max | Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H
Cooling Dark Rock 4 Pro, P14, P12, T30 case fans | 212 Evo & P12 PWM PST x2, Arctic P14 & P12 case fans
Memory 32GB Ballistix (Micron E 19nm) CL16 @3733MHz | 32GB HyperX Beast 2400MHz (XMP)
Video Card(s) AMD 6900XTXH ASRock OC Formula & Phanteks T30x3 | AMD 5700XT Sapphire Nitro+ & Arctic P12x2
Storage ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB, Toshiba P300 3TB x2 | Kingston A400 120GB, Fanxiang S500 Pro 256GB
Display(s) Mi 2K Gaming Monitor 27", AOC 24G2U
Case Modded MS Industrial Titan II Pro RGB | Heavily Modded Cooler Master Q500L
Audio Device(s) Audient iD14 MKII, Adam Audio T8Vs, Bloody M550, HiFiMan HE400se, Tascam TM-80, DS4 v2
Power Supply Rosewill Capstone 1000M | Enermax Revolution X't 730W (both with P14 fans)
Mouse Logitech G305, Bloody A91, Amazon basics, Logitech M187
Keyboard Redragon K530, Bloody B930, Epomaker TH80 SE, BTC 9110
Software W10 LTSC 21H2
Remakes are interesting because there's multiple types of remakes, and I think some games would be welcome to see certain types over others.

I'll use the Resident Evil remakes as examples as I think they cover the three main types.

The remake of Resident Evil (1) is an example of what is probably the best 1:1 remake, because it doesn't cut much of anything from the original; it only improves it (new graphics, maybe some quality of life stuff), and even adds some new things, but not enough to overwhelm the original content and make it feel like a different game. The advantage to this remake is that it's the safest, and almost always improves things. The disadvantage is that you may be skipping an opportunity to improve it further, and if a long enough time has passed (decades), old game formulas might not be welcome anymore. This one succeeded because it happened very quickly after the original game; doing it today might not have the same success.

The remake Resident Evil 3 (2020) is the exact opposite. It translates the old formula to a newer one (which is sometimes a good thing, mind you, because old games were often made as they were because of tech limitations at the time). While it stays somewhat faithful to the source material, it also takes pretty big liberties on changes to characters, story, the setting, and other content. This is the biggest risk, but theoretically has the biggest potential. The problem is... most games only get remade if they sold well enough, and if they sold well enough, they probably didn't have enough problems to need this level of remake. In other words, this type of remake isn't bad... but it's need done on the right games. Ironically, Resident Evil 3had a mixed reception in its own time, so Capcom arguably made the right choice to try this with this game. Unfortunately, the risk with this type of game is large and it doesn't always work out, and it didn't here. Most fans thought this was a solid, but not great, game... but a pretty bad remake. I guess the remakes of Final Fantasy VII fall under this as well, and similarly, you see mixed reception to it. Perhaps the better game to gamble this type of remake with would have been Final Fantasy VIII.

Lastly, you have what is sort of the "in-between". Resident Evil 2 (2019) is an example of this, and it infamously called itself a "reimagining". It wasn't a 1:1 improvement remake like the original Resident Evil remake was, and it did translate the old formula to a new one (and this was a success in my opinion), but unlike Resident Evil 3, it didn't take as many liberties with changes.

That being said, here's what I'd like to see remade.

Final Fantasy IX. A remake of Final Fantasy IX alone, if done well, would set me for life (okay, maybe a slight exaggeration... maybe...). The "type" of remake I'd like to see would be akin to the type resident Evil or Resident Evil 2 was, not the type Resident Evil 3 was. Something that translates the old pre-rendered backgrounds and 2D characters into fully modern 3D worlds and with voice acting, but if it otherwise keeps the content of the game (story, characters, world, etc.) intact, and only makes minimal changes like Resident Evil 2 did, then it'd be the best type of remake of it. While it only presents a limited amount of the game, I'll use the Memoria Project as an example of what I'd basically like to see.

Besides that, here's a "hypothetical wish list" because I realize not all of these games need remakes, but I'd like to see these anyway. This is in no particular order.

Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy X
Dino Crisis
Dine Crisis 2
Dragon Quest VIII
Resident Evil (in the style the remakes of 2 and 3 were done)
Resident Evil 2 and 3 (in the style the original remake was done, so borderline an "all out remaster")
Silent Hill 3 and 4 (now that we know 2 is being remade and it looks fantastic so far in my opinion)

Pretty sure I'm forgetting some others, so I'm sure I'll edit them in at some point later...

The pixel remasters for Final Fantasy IV and VI are great, but they are remasters, not remakes. Final Fantasy X needs a remake the least, but I wouldn't mind it either.

You may notice a consistency in the age range of these games, and there's probably two reasons for that.

The first is that these games were from my formative years, so I have fond memories of them, and later games in the series/genres shifted away from these types of games. There's definitely things about newer titles I like, but there's also things I don't like, and things from the older titles that I miss.

The other reason is that I think this era of games in particular (the PlayStation/PlayStation 2 era, roughly), is where the games that "most deserve" remakes come from. Here's why. Games older than this are usually fine enough with remasters (exceptions apply, of course), and newer ones usually don't need it. Seeing Dead Space get remade, while it was good, got a bit of a "does that already need it" response from me. Between the really old and the more recent, you have that era were there were more games with pre-rendered backgrounds, or very low resolution 4:3, and they just didn't age well once widescreen and high resolution displays entered the market. The remakes for Resident Evil 2 and Resident Evil 4 showed the potential that era of games has to translate their content intact, and mostly unchanged, to modern formulas with newer visuals and features. And the result is wonderful. I'm pretty sure even the old skateboarding games (Tony Hawk?) from that time were also remade to great success, weren't they?

Capcom proved it. Now Konami, Square Enix, and others... it's your turn to show more of what you've got.

Last edited:
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS A520M-K
Cooling Scythe Kotetsu Mark II
Memory 2 x 16GB SK Hynix CJR OEM DDR4-3200 @ 4000 20-22-20-48
Video Card(s) Colorful RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
Storage 250GB WD BLACK SN750 M.2 + 4TB WD Red Plus + 4TB WD Purple
Display(s) AOpen 27HC5R 27" 1080p 165Hz
Case AIGO Darkflash C285
Audio Device(s) Creative SoundBlaster Z + Kurtzweil KS-40A bookshelf / Sennheiser HD555
Power Supply Great Wall GW-EPS1000DA 1kW
Mouse Razer Deathadder Essential
Keyboard Cougar Attack2 Cherry MX Black
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
I don't really like remakes to be honest. They just gonna ruins it if it just a quick cashgrab for nostalgic reason, GTA San Andreas Definitive Edition comes to mind. Such a dogshit game that is. Why making a 'remaster' using a mobile port of the game in the first place. It's DISGUSTING.

Heard there will be Max Payne remakes. I just going to see how they modernize this game. Not holding my breath. The original games, despite having issues playing on modern OS, there's community patch to fix it.

I want proper sequel to the games we like. Max Payne 3 was barely feel like Max Payne. There's too much of missed opportunity. I feel like we moving backwards.

I read people wanted KoTOR 1 & 2 remake, I love both games, but I would rather see proper sequel to this game. KoTOR 1 & 2 aren't really related, but you know what I mean. Both these two games are excellent making lores that is believable in SW universe unlike what Di$ney craps out nowadays. I want more stories during the Old Republic times. I still remember playing KoTOR 1 and when I reach the Rakatan area, I stop playing a bit to read about the lore who they are and what happen. Those are good stories. KoTOR 2 about Kreia, there's whole bunch of videos in YouTube discussing about her and the game in general, and that was 20 years after the game release. This puts on how much in storytelling they put in the game that got people hooked. Not just lightsaber-ing from one area to another.

One game maybe I wanted to remake, The Witcher 1. I only started playing it recently, it's a buggy mess and very awkward combat system. I stuck somewhere and cannot proceed after reading numerous walkthrough I still don't know where I go wrong. Modernize it with Witcher 3 combat mechanics, think that would be good.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS Prime X470-Pro
Cooling bequiet! Dark Rock Slim
Memory 64 GB ECC DDR4 2666 MHz (Samsung M391A2K43BB1-CTD)
Video Card(s) eVGA GTX 1080 SC Gaming, 8 GB
Storage 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1 TB Samsung 850 EVO, 4 TB Lexar NM790, 12 TB WD HDDs
Display(s) Acer Predator XB271HU
Case Corsair Obsidian 550D
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty
Power Supply Seasonic X-Series 560W
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Glorious GMMK
Realms of the Haunting, anyone? Also, a proper remake of the first couple of Tomb Raider games (seems the current remake misses the mark somewhat).

I don't really like remakes to be honest. They just gonna ruins it if it just a quick cashgrab for nostalgic reason, GTA San Andreas Definitive Edition comes to mind. Such a dogshit game that is. Why making a 'remaster' using a mobile port of the game in the first place. It's DISGUSTING.
Path of least resistance for development.

If you think that's bad, look up what happened with the definitive edition of Dragon Quest XI.

In short, the game was originally a PlayStation game.

I think it originally started out with only a portion of the content and then more content added? (the "third act" as fans refer to them, I think?) This part I'm lost on, but the point is, it came to PC now and was called "Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive age".

Square Enix and Nintendo then reached a deal to bring it to the Switch, and with exclusive content. Okay, that part's fine. They call it the definitive edition. The Switch could not handle the original game. It was rebuilt in a slightly newer version of the Unreal Engine, but otherwise "optimized" and "downgraded".

Here's where it gets funny.

The exclusivity window ended (after about a year I think), so Square Enix now plans to bring the definitive edition content to the other platforms, and also plans to launch the game on the Xbox as well. Yay? Well, not so fast...

The way this definitive edition content was brought to other platforms was to simply bring the Switch version of the game (downgraded in some regards compared to the original version) over to the PlayStation, PC, and Xbox. In other words, it was "a port of a port", and to end up on the same platform(s) it started on amusingly enough.

This directly had two negative effects, and there was a third negative effect due to a further step Square Enix took.

1. The obvious is that it was a downgrade in some ways, while being an upgrade (from new content) in others.

2. The fact that the content was never made for the original version meant that if you had the game already and wanted the extra content from the definitive edition, there was no upgrade for it. You had to effectively buy the entire game anew! Square Enix did lower the price of the game from $60 to $40 as a compromise of sorts, but that is still expensive for the added content alone, to say nothing of the downgrades you get in the process.

3. To make matters worse, they de-listed the original version on digital distribution platforms. This was probably done for a valid reason; to avoid confusion, but since the newer one was lesser in some regards, it was still unfortunate. Check for yourself; these are two "different" games. The first is the original (unavailable for sale), and the second is the definitive edition.

I have the original, and I'm honestly glad I do. The latter has had to rely on mods to improve textures, and the lighting is still different. There's enough comparisons out there showing where the definitive edition can be quite worse off in visuals. It does have additional content, but none of it what I'd consider make or break, must haves. The 2D mode is the only tempting thing.

Unfortunately, this isn't exactly rare. Where shortcuts can be taken, they will be. Many Final Fantasy PC releases have also suffered this "port of a port" problem too.