• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

As we live the age of game remakes, which game you would like to see to have a remake?

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS A520M-K
Cooling Scythe Kotetsu Mark II
Memory 2 x 16GB SK Hynix CJR OEM DDR4-3200 @ 4000 20-22-20-48
Video Card(s) Colorful RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
Storage 250GB WD BLACK SN750 M.2 + 4TB WD Red Plus + 4TB WD Purple
Display(s) AOpen 27HC5R 27" 1080p 165Hz
Case AIGO Darkflash C285
Audio Device(s) Creative SoundBlaster Z + Kurtzweil KS-40A bookshelf / Sennheiser HD555
Power Supply Great Wall GW-EPS1000DA 1kW
Mouse Razer Deathadder Essential
Keyboard Cougar Attack2 Cherry MX Black
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Path of least resistance for development.

If you think that's bad, look up what happened with the definitive edition of Dragon Quest XI.

In short, the game was originally a PlayStation game.

I think it originally started out with only a portion of the content and then more content added? (the "third act" as fans refer to them, I think?) This part I'm lost on, but the point is, it came to PC now and was called "Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive age".

Square Enix and Nintendo then reached a deal to bring it to the Switch, and with exclusive content. Okay, that part's fine. They call it the definitive edition. The Switch could not handle the original game. It was rebuilt in a slightly newer version of the Unreal Engine, but otherwise "optimized" and "downgraded".

Here's where it gets funny.

The exclusivity window ended (after about a year I think), so Square Enix now plans to bring the definitive edition content to the other platforms, and also plans to launch the game on the Xbox as well. Yay? Well, not so fast...

The way this definitive edition content was brought to other platforms was to simply bring the Switch version of the game (downgraded in some regards compared to the original version) over to the PlayStation, PC, and Xbox. In other words, it was "a port of a port", and to end up on the same platform(s) it started on amusingly enough.

This directly had two negative effects, and there was a third negative effect due to a further step Square Enix took.

1. The obvious is that it was a downgrade in some ways, while being an upgrade (from new content) in others.

2. The fact that the content was never made for the original version meant that if you had the game already and wanted the extra content from the definitive edition, there was no upgrade for it. You had to effectively buy the entire game anew! Square Enix did lower the price of the game from $60 to $40 as a compromise of sorts, but that is still expensive for the added content alone, to say nothing of the downgrades you get in the process.

3. To make matters worse, they de-listed the original version on digital distribution platforms. This was probably done for a valid reason; to avoid confusion, but since the newer one was lesser in some regards, it was still unfortunate. Check for yourself; these are two "different" games. The first is the original (unavailable for sale), and the second is the definitive edition.

I have the original, and I'm honestly glad I do. The latter has had to rely on mods to improve textures, and the lighting is still different. There's enough comparisons out there showing where the definitive edition can be quite worse off in visuals. It does have additional content, but none of it what I'd consider make or break, must haves. The 2D mode is the only tempting thing.

Unfortunately, this isn't exactly rare. Where shortcuts can be taken, they will be. Many Final Fantasy PC releases have also suffered this "port of a port" problem too.
Exactly, it's basically the same idea behind using the mobile port but everyone knows it's a downgrade. Should've used the original PS2 version. I can list down all the things wrong with it but it's been summarize in videos

There is also 'remastered edition' for XBOX360 that is also pile of manure, comes in two parts of things that is wrong with it

I can't even imagine if Max Payne remaster gonna use their mobile port. It's going to be hilarious and if such thing ever exist I'm gonna lost all hope in future remaster. Nothing but a cashgrab. That is why I'm not buying into this remakes or remaster or whatever they calling it, not until proper review is out then I'll take a look at it.