• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dell Workstation Owners Club

It's running quite hot - 50 degrees C on idle, and hitting 91-92 degrees C on max load, and fans ramping up to max (4,000 rpm) and unbearably noisy.
That card likely needs a deep cleaning and a thermal paste replacement. The 1080ti should not be running that hot at all.
Since I don't have time to fiddle with thermal paste, I've contacted the seller (e-bay), to return it. I hate hot furnaces and unbearable noise in my PC workstation...
A can of air might do it. Have you blown it out yet?

This only applies to single socket Dell workstations but I'm usually a pain in the ass when it comes to GPU power hookups. Previous post on the 7810 shows that this is not needed. Anyways I'm installing a 2080 super in my boys t5810. I already have an 8 pin to 8 pin cable out of a Dell blade server for the 1070 that's in it now. The 2080 is a 8+6 so I need another 6 pin. I bought a 10 pin eps cable (psu to CPU socket) un pinned it and made a 10 to 6 pin out of it.

That card likely needs a deep cleaning and a thermal paste replacement. The 1080ti should not be running that hot at all.

A can of air might do it. Have you blown it out yet?

Agreed both of my used 1070s got new paste and thermal pads. Helped a lot. They tend to run warm in our workstations because of how they separate the case based on size but once you have a pack of thermal pads set out takes about 10 minutes to clean it all out and have it work good as new. Sorry but when working with a GPU that can be what 5 or 6 years old it's not a problem with the card it's just age.

Attachments

• PXL_20221127_163135486.jpg
    PXL_20221127_163135486.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 54

Akagi

Hey im thinking about buying a bare bones dell t5810 i already have a 4x8 gb kit of hyperxfury and a e5 2640 v3 for the gpu i have a rx 570. the seller sadly doesn't have any pictures to show if its a 475w model or higher but if it is i can always upgrade later. does this ram work with the motherboard? its non ecc

I've seen peaple have no problems at all and people only able to use weird arrangements of populated dimms and to it just straight not working

Hey im thinking about buying a bare bones dell t5810 i already have a 4x8 gb kit of hyperxfury and a e5 2640 v3 for the gpu i have a rx 570. the seller sadly doesn't have any pictures to show if its a 475w model or higher but if it is i can always upgrade later. does this ram work with the motherboard? its non ecc

I've seen peaple have no problems at all and people only able to use weird arrangements of populated dimms and to it just straight not working
Hey there, Welcome to TPU! Let's take a look at the listing if you have a link and if you could state a model number for the RAM we can answer your questions.

I don't have any ddr4 left to try normal memory in mine. I think it should work just fine but you can't use as much as you could with ecc. Is this system your looking at really really cheap? I usually buy them with CPU, memory and some old crap drive installed and some k series quadro. Last one I got had a 1650v3 ,k620, 16gb ecc memory 4x4 so it was in quad channel and it had a 685w PSU. I think it was maybe 240 bucks. I gave up asking seller questions. If it's in the description great. PSU ratings I look for a picture in the add that shows the sticker.

Akagi

Hey there, Welcome to TPU! Let's take a look at the listing if you have a link and if you could state a model number for the RAM we can answer your questions.

I don't have any ddr4 left to try normal memory in mine. I think it should work just fine but you can't use as much as you could with ecc. Is this system your looking at really really cheap? I usually buy them with CPU, memory and some old crap drive installed and some k series quadro. Last one I got had a 1650v3 ,k620, 16gb ecc memory 4x4 so it was in quad channel and it had a 685w PSU. I think it was maybe 240 bucks. I gave up asking seller questions. If it's in the description great. PSU ratings I look for a picture in the add that shows the sticker.
Sadly the seller only has a picture of the front of the case so I cannot see the sticker on the PSU

Where would I see a model number for the ram? I bought it used so all I know is from the heatsinks

Akagi

Yup, that's the wrong RAM. See my edited post above. I posted a link to the proper RAM you need for that system.
Thanks for the help! I have seen people use ram similar to mine and it works but for others it has not so I will try to see if my current kit works out as I'm trying to keep costs as low as possible for this build lol. And hey if not I can just order some ecc ram like you've said.

I bougth a Thermaltake Smart RGB 700W to my Dell T3500. It has EPS 12V and RGB. I have not tried it yet but i guess it suits my motherboard. I now have a Cooler Master 500W and a Nvidia Quadro Fx 3500 card. The psu should have a rgb hub inside so i guess the lights will work. I do not see any cable to it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help! I have seen people use ram similar to mine and it works but for others it has not so I will try to see if my current kit works out as I'm trying to keep costs as low as possible for this build lol. And hey if not I can just order some ecc ram like you've said.
Might work, might not. Dell does not officially support non-reg RAM on that system, so if it works that will be interesting. If not and that auction as ended chime in and I'll help you find more for a good price.

daylight8921

Hey guys, recently I got T7600 (Model D02X001). But I'm having a hard time trying to turn it on.

The motherboard is the 082WXT.

I've already check the PSU (D1300EF-00), and it's working but I can't find any diagram to check if every pin has the proper voltage.

If you have any experience with these type of issues, or know of any guide for this, I'd really appreciate your help.

Hey guys, recently I got T7600 (Model D02X001). But I'm having a hard time trying to turn it on.

The motherboard is the 082WXT.

I've already check the PSU (D1300EF-00), and it's working but I can't find any diagram to check if every pin has the proper voltage.

If you have any experience with these type of issues, or know of any guide for this, I'd really appreciate your help.
Hey welcome to TPU! With that one, please refer to the owners manual;
https://dl.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprtl_precision_workstation/precision-t7600_user's%20guide_en-us.pdf
Section 6 is the troubleshooting guide. You'll want to begin by making sure all if the power connections are seated properly, PSU to motherboard especially. Try unplugging all the connectors and plugging them back in just to be sure.

Hey welcome to TPU! With that one, please refer to the owners manual;
https://dl.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprtl_precision_workstation/precision-t7600_user's%20guide_en-us.pdf
Section 6 is the troubleshooting guide. You'll want to begin by making sure all if the power connections are seated properly, PSU to motherboard especially. Try unplugging all the connectors and plugging them back in just to be sure.
Was helping this individual out elsewhere. Appears to have some random desktop memory in it. Maybe you could shed some light. Had him try just 1 CPU with one stick of ddr3 1600 non ecc ram with his gpu and still nothing. He had jumped pins on the power connector and the PSU spools up but PC does not power on. I assume that the PC won't boot off of normal desktop memory. He didn't have any other spare parts to try swapping anything. The PC was just purchased. Never powered on by him. Garage sale so he also can't go back at a seller. I saw that he posted here and I figured you would chime in.

Was helping this individual out elsewhere. Appears to have some random desktop memory in it. Maybe you could shed some light. Had him try just 1 CPU with one stick of ddr3 1600 non ecc ram with his gpu and still nothing. He had jumped pins on the power connector and the PSU spools up but PC does not power on. I assume that the PC won't boot off of normal desktop memory. He didn't have any other spare parts to try swapping anything. The PC was just purchased. Never powered on by him. Garage sale so he also can't go back at a seller. I saw that he posted here and I figured you would chime in.
It's likely the PSU. If it were the motherboard or something else, it would at least power up and either do nothing or give an error code.

bgguy

This post is just as an FYI for anyone having their workstation randomly shut off during GPU/CPU intensive games/processing.

So about a 2 years ago I had purchased a T3600 Workstation, upgraded it with a Nvidia RTX 2080 and though it was mostly working fine, in one specific game the computer would do a hard shut down where I could hear the PSU trip. At the time I suspected it would either be the GPU or PSU, but I tried everything including using HWINFO, measuring the power at the outlet, but was never able to confirm if it was the PSU or not. Since this was only happening in one specific GPU intensive game, I did as much troubleshooting as possible, but then just avoided that game.
Fast forward to now, I was getting more issues with other games causing my computer to trip off so I found the equivalent PSU, Dell 0CVMY8 D825EF-00 825W PSU (There are a few PSU variations but after much research I figured that the "EF" and the "-00" were the key to ensuring I had the right one for the T3600, and that is what matched with my 635W PSU. The "825" part obviously being the wattage, and the "D" is apparently the manufacturer code.).
I swapped it in with no issues at all and now the desktop runs smoothly with the game that was previously causing it to trip, running perfectly fine.

So moral of the story is, if your computer is doing a hard shutdown (i.e. you heard the PSU trip, and there is no BSOD), try replacing the PSU with a higher wattage one.
I had found the PSU on ebay and it set me back $60USD ($80CAD) after shipping and everything. Was a bit tough to swallow the cost considering it's a used PSU, but also considering how tough some of these workstations are built, I don't expect it to fail.

Last edited:

Norton

Moderator - Returning from the Darkness
Staff member
System Name Main PC- Gamer- Main Cruncher/Folder and too many crunching/folding rigs
Processor Ryzen 5900X- Ryzen 5950X- Ryzen 3950X and etc...
Motherboard Asrock X570 Extreme4- MSI X570S Tomahawk MAX WiFi- MSI B450M Bazooka Max and etc...
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S (dual fan)- EK 360 AIO with push/pull fans- Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT and etc...
Memory 2x16GB GSkill FlareX 3200/c14- 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3600/c16- 2x16GB Team 3600/c18 and etc..
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming RX 6800- Asus RTX 3070 TUF OC- MSI Ventus GTX 1660Ti and etc...
Storage Main PC (1TB WD SN850- 2TB PNY CS 3040- 2TB Seagate Firecuda) and etc...
Display(s) Main PC (2x24" Dell UltraSharp U2414H)
Case Phanteks P600s- Seasonic Q704- Fractal Meshify C and etc...
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z625 THX 2.1 speakers
Power Supply EVGA 750 G3- SeaSonic DGC 750- EVGA P2 850 and etc...
Mouse G300s
Keyboard Corsair K65
VR HMD N/A
Software Windows 10 Pro or Ubuntu
Benchmark Scores Why sit on the Bench when you can get in the game and Crunch!!!
I have a couple of Precision systems

2x Precision M4800 Laptops (at home for me and the Mrs), upgraded both to 32GB ram and swapped out the hard drives for SSD's

Have a Precision T3610 setup for one of my operators at work (E5-1620 v2 Quad core)

All have been trouble free other than my wife busting one of the mouse buttons on hers- good thing Dell has 2 sets of buttons on them :D

You should be able to. 8GB DIMMs have been shown to work. Just don't buy Registered DIMMs, they don't work in T3500s.
I don't have or plan on owning a 3500 but wasn't there something stupid like if you have a bigger PSU it would let you run registered dimms?

I have a couple of Precision systems

2x Precision M4800 Laptops (at home for me and the Mrs), upgraded both to 32GB ram and swapped out the hard drives for SSD's
I've wanted a 4800 forever. A few years ago they still seemed to expensive for me. At some point I'll need to replace my latitude 6430.... although I'm not sure you can destroy them without firearms....but I really want an old quad core hyper threaded laptop.

Norton

Moderator - Returning from the Darkness
Staff member
System Name Main PC- Gamer- Main Cruncher/Folder and too many crunching/folding rigs
Processor Ryzen 5900X- Ryzen 5950X- Ryzen 3950X and etc...
Motherboard Asrock X570 Extreme4- MSI X570S Tomahawk MAX WiFi- MSI B450M Bazooka Max and etc...
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S (dual fan)- EK 360 AIO with push/pull fans- Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT and etc...
Memory 2x16GB GSkill FlareX 3200/c14- 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3600/c16- 2x16GB Team 3600/c18 and etc..
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming RX 6800- Asus RTX 3070 TUF OC- MSI Ventus GTX 1660Ti and etc...
Storage Main PC (1TB WD SN850- 2TB PNY CS 3040- 2TB Seagate Firecuda) and etc...
Display(s) Main PC (2x24" Dell UltraSharp U2414H)
Case Phanteks P600s- Seasonic Q704- Fractal Meshify C and etc...
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z625 THX 2.1 speakers
Power Supply EVGA 750 G3- SeaSonic DGC 750- EVGA P2 850 and etc...
Mouse G300s
Keyboard Corsair K65
VR HMD N/A
Software Windows 10 Pro or Ubuntu
Benchmark Scores Why sit on the Bench when you can get in the game and Crunch!!!
I don't have or plan on owning a 3500 but wasn't there something stupid like if you have a bigger PSU it would let you run registered dimms?

I've wanted a 4800 forever. A few years ago they still seemed to expensive for me. At some point I'll need to replace my latitude 6430.... although I'm not sure you can destroy them without firearms....but I really want an old quad core hyper threaded laptop.
The 4800 is pretty heavy duty... heavy also. Wouldn't be surprised if surplus ones were deployed as supplemental tank armor! :laugh:

We got a really good deal on them from dellrefurbished.com. iirc I paid around $250 each for them and they still had a couple of months of extended warranty left on them. Still plenty of life left in them and faster than the i5 in my work laptop that's less than a year old!

The 4800 is pretty heavy duty... heavy also. Wouldn't be surprised if surplus ones were deployed as supplemental tank armor! :laugh:

We got a really good deal on them from dellrefurbished.com. iirc I paid around $250 each for them and they still had a couple of months of extended warranty left on them. Still plenty of life left in them and faster than the i5 in my work laptop that's less than a year old!
The ultra efficient CPUs in newer laptops don't sit right with me. I like how they used to do it. I think the 6430 had some world record on run time because you could run an extended battery, a battery slice on the bottom from the dock port and replace the optical drive with a battery. Probably heavy as hell but I thought that was awesome. But for you to have had warranty on those that meant you bought them when they were still relevant. I paid 250 for my latitude. I would have gladly paid 350 for a 4800 at that time. And back when I got that I immediately installed 16gb of gskill and got a 512gb Intel SSD pushing me close to 800 bucks in the total investment. O well it's 10 years old and 1 speaker started sounding crappy just this year. Money well spent I guess.

hi everyone.. still me. :|

got a t7810 with 2x2667v3, 4x32 ram and it takes 2minutes and 15 seconds to get the windows PIN screen.

the first logo shows at 45 sec
then at 1min 15 sec screen goes black and the monitor says "no input" (damn)
at 1 min 29 sec dell logo shows again, this time with windows loading dottel circle
and with the will of the gods at 2min 15 seconds i see the windows PIN screen.

i mean i read that the boot time was bad but 2 minutes???
the ram needs to register or smth like that but still...

saw a thread on the dell forum, people cannot get it to boot as a regular PC does.. (a guy said someth about DSA uninstall - did not change anything)

any ideas?...

BIOS rev A19 (no ups, afraid to update)
Boot mode UEFI, secure Boot ON

*update, disabled some RAM check from BIOS - Dell RMT - it ONLY takes 1 min 40 seconds now :))

now that's PROGRESS.

Last edited: