• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dell Workstation Owners Club

You should be able to. 8GB DIMMs have been shown to work. Just don't buy Registered DIMMs, they don't work in T3500s.
I guess the memory's in the link works as they have been tested and unregistred. Are there other memory's that can work to? They seems expensive and hard to find.

hi everyone.. still me. :|

got a t7810 with 2x2667v3, 4x32 ram and it takes 2minutes and 15 seconds to get the windows PIN screen.

the first logo shows at 45 sec
then at 1min 15 sec screen goes black and the monitor says "no input" (damn)
at 1 min 29 sec dell logo shows again, this time with windows loading dottel circle
and with the will of the gods at 2min 15 seconds i see the windows PIN screen.

i mean i read that the boot time was bad but 2 minutes???
the ram needs to register or smth like that but still...

saw a thread on the dell forum, people cannot get it to boot as a regular PC does.. (a guy said someth about DSA uninstall - did not change anything)

any ideas?...

BIOS rev A19 (no ups, afraid to update)
Boot mode UEFI, secure Boot ON

*update, disabled some RAM check from BIOS - Dell RMT - it ONLY takes 1 min 40 seconds now :))

now that's PROGRESS.
Ya unfortunately the more ram you have the longer it takes. I only have 32gb in my 5810 and I'm sure it's over a minute to boot. Are you booting from a SSD? Your system supports booting from a NVME.

I guess the memory's in the link works as they have been tested and unregistred. Are there other memory's that can work to? They seems expensive and hard to find.
DDR3 and DDR3 ECC are the only types that will work with X58, which is the chipset in the T3500.

hi everyone.. still me. :|

got a t7810 with 2x2667v3, 4x32 ram and it takes 2minutes and 15 seconds to get the windows PIN screen.

the first logo shows at 45 sec
then at 1min 15 sec screen goes black and the monitor says "no input" (damn)
at 1 min 29 sec dell logo shows again, this time with windows loading dottel circle
and with the will of the gods at 2min 15 seconds i see the windows PIN screen.

i mean i read that the boot time was bad but 2 minutes???
the ram needs to register or smth like that but still...

saw a thread on the dell forum, people cannot get it to boot as a regular PC does.. (a guy said someth about DSA uninstall - did not change anything)

any ideas?...

BIOS rev A19 (no ups, afraid to update)
Boot mode UEFI, secure Boot ON

*update, disabled some RAM check from BIOS - Dell RMT - it ONLY takes 1 min 40 seconds now :))

now that's PROGRESS.
You have dual processors and it's a workstation system. It takes longer to boot because it does more boot-time checks and tests. This is normal and nothing to be worried about.

Ya unfortunately the more ram you have the longer it takes. I only have 32gb in my 5810 and I'm sure it's over a minute to boot. Are you booting from a SSD? Your system supports booting from a NVME.
yeah, ssd.
even so, with the checks - since it starts showing the loading dotted windows circle it still takes so long..
anyway, it is what it is..

DDR3 and DDR3 ECC are the only types that will work with X58, which is the chipset in the T3500.

You have dual processors and it's a workstation system. It takes longer to boot because it does more boot-time checks and tests. This is normal and nothing to be worried about.
gonna have to live with it.

thanks for the support!

I was watching a documentary about Bob Lazar and I noticed a T3500 on his desk... If it's good enough to reverse engineer technologies from outer space, then it's good enough for me, I guess :D

Capture web_27-1-2023_13391_www.youtube.com.jpeg

Hi people, me again.

When I had the T7810 i ran some RAM bench to see if it is "worse" with mixed modules.

The score was 17.x Gb/s with 4 identical dimms in dual channel and 18 Gb/s with adding 4 more different modules, running in quad channel.

Recently saw a bench where a guy had a score of 50 !!!! gb/s in quad.

Why is this bugging me?
Cause now I got a "consumer" pc..that in dual channel at 3200 scores 34Gb/s..

And I said "good, twice as fast as 'old ecc ram ' ".

But then I saw the guy in quad reaching 50 and i felt a bit stupid.

Soo I know I may have asked about mixing modules at the time of the "bench" (mixing modules =bad practice) ... But i was happy the score was slightly higher in quad .

Yet i was not aware you could reach 50 !!!

Soo how do you reach 50? Or 40 ish?..

Do i need 2400?(max freq for t7810..)
Do i need all of the dimms to be identical?..
Aside from these 2 requirements is there something else?..

I have this feeling/hard facts that I may have went the wrong way with consumer pc (HP omen unit)..

And the pics
128 4x32 hynix bench.png
144 4x32 - 4x4 hynix-micron bench.png

For the Omen i can feel the ram preview loading stuff twice as fast.
At 34 Gbps.
I am dreaming about how it would load with 50 Gbps...

Last edited:

francobones

Hello, I have a T5810 running a GTX650 TI boost GPU which has a 6 pin connector, I have bought an RX480 which is 8 pin so I went to the comp shop to get a cable and when I told him it was a dell workstation he didnt want to sell me the one he had as he was unsure if Dell had its own specific pin layout? Does anyone know what cable i require from the PSU motherboard to the GPU please?

System Name Precision T7500
Processor 2x Intel Xeon X5690 @3.4-3.7 Ghz
Motherboard Dell System board 06FW8P
Cooling Several Fans i can't control and mediocre heatsinks
Memory 80 GB DDR3-1333, PC3-10600
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 980Ti Gaming 6G
Storage 4x 7.2krpm Sata 3 HDDs
Display(s) ViewSonic VX2450wm-led, Dell S2409w, Dell U2415
Case Dell Y950R Rv A04
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster X-fi Titanium
Power Supply Dell G821T (which has atrocious coil whine)
Mouse Razer Basilisk v3
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Elite
VR HMD N/A
Software Windows 10 1809 / Windows 7 7601 / Windows Vista 6002 / Windows XP 2600-sp3
Hello, I have a T5810 running a GTX650 TI boost GPU which has a 6 pin connector, I have bought an RX480 which is 8 pin so I went to the comp shop to get a cable and when I told him it was a dell workstation he didnt want to sell me the one he had as he was unsure if Dell had its own specific pin layout? Does anyone know what cable i require from the PSU motherboard to the GPU please?
What's the part number of that PSU?

System Name Precision T7500
Processor 2x Intel Xeon X5690 @3.4-3.7 Ghz
Motherboard Dell System board 06FW8P
Cooling Several Fans i can't control and mediocre heatsinks
Memory 80 GB DDR3-1333, PC3-10600
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 980Ti Gaming 6G
Storage 4x 7.2krpm Sata 3 HDDs
Display(s) ViewSonic VX2450wm-led, Dell S2409w, Dell U2415
Case Dell Y950R Rv A04
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster X-fi Titanium
Power Supply Dell G821T (which has atrocious coil whine)
Mouse Razer Basilisk v3
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Elite
VR HMD N/A
Software Windows 10 1809 / Windows 7 7601 / Windows Vista 6002 / Windows XP 2600-sp3
Not in front of it anymore, its the 685w model?
Check this thread (linked below), one idea that has worked for me (albiet on a T5500/T7500) was to use a 6-pin to 8-pin adapter from amazon or some other website, that goes on the end of a 6 pin PEG cord, which would work without any additional connectors assuming you're replacing the 650Ti with the RX480.

and, this is a link to two 6 pin to 8 pin PEG connectors, which, have worked perfectly on a GTX 970 and a GTX 980Ti before, so, they should be fine for an RX480, since Polaris is less demanding than Maxwell in terms of power.

francobones

Check this thread (linked below), one idea that has worked for me (albiet on a T5500/T7500) was to use a 6-pin to 8-pin adapter from amazon or some other website, that goes on the end of a 6 pin PEG cord, which would work without any additional connectors assuming you're replacing the 650Ti with the RX480.

and, this is a link to two 6 pin to 8 pin PEG connectors, which, have worked perfectly on a GTX 970 and a GTX 980Ti before, so, they should be fine for an RX480, since Polaris is less demanding than Maxwell in terms of power.

Ok thanks ill check it out, the 8 pins arent all used then i take it?

Hmm this seems more complicated than it first looked, these 6 to 8 pin adaptors seem to be rated between 75 and 120W and my GPU is rated as 150W TDP, so its either find an adaptor with higher rating (as some are showing burnout on amazon reviews) or maybe go for 8 pin PSU to dual 6+2 pin pcie keeping my dvd working and giving the GPU a full 8 pin connection?

i have found this cable on fleabay, and am waiting a response from them to see if it is suitable

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/14482158...jWF6Rl8TRy&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

System Name Work Computer | Unfinished Computer
Processor Core i7-6700 | Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Dell Q170 | Gigabyte Aorus Elite Wi-Fi
Cooling A fan? | Truly Custom Loop
Memory 4x4GB Crucial 2133 C17 | 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB 3600 C26
Video Card(s) Dell Radeon R7 450 | RTX 2080 Ti FE
Storage Crucial BX500 2TB | TBD
Display(s) 3x LG QHD 32" GSM5B96 | TBD
Case Dell | Heavily Modified Phanteks P400
Power Supply Dell TFX Non-standard | EVGA BQ 650W
Mouse Monster No-Name $7 Gaming Mouse| TBD
my GPU is rated as 150W TDP
The PCIe slot will provide 75W, so the 8-pin is only using 75W. It really only needs a 6-pin for 75W cable, but as they used an 8-pin an adapter should work.

System Name Dell T3500
Processor Xeon X5687
Motherboard Dell - 9KPNV
Cooling Dell U016F
Memory 12gb ECC 1333
Video Card(s) MSI rx480 gaming X
Storage 1tb WD blue
Case Dell T3500

Hmm this seems more complicated than it first looked, these 6 to 8 pin adaptors seem to be rated between 75 and 120W and my GPU is rated as 150W TDP, so its either find an adaptor with higher rating (as some are showing burnout on amazon reviews) or maybe go for 8 pin PSU to dual 6+2 pin pcie keeping my dvd working and giving the GPU a full 8 pin connection?

i have found this cable on fleabay, and am waiting a response from them to see if it is suitable

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/14482158...jWF6Rl8TRy&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
That adapter will be fine. Wattage to the card is a function of the PSU not an adapter.

Hey has anyone ever attempted or gotten a Tesla card to work in a Dell workstation. I'm trying this to see if it can work before any actual investment. I shoved an old Tesla k10 into my T5810 along with a gtx1070. PC boots fine. The Tesla shows up as PCI bridge in bios. Don't see anything in device manager. The heatsink on the card gets warm so I'm sorta using that to determine it's on....I turned memory mapping above 4gb on and aspm disabled. Tried pcie link speed auto and 3.

Hey has anyone ever attempted or gotten a Tesla card to work in a Dell workstation.
Sure. They work perfectly.
I shoved an old Tesla k10 into my T5810 along with a gtx1070. PC boots fine. The Tesla shows up as PCI bridge in bios. Don't see anything in device manager. The heatsink on the card gets warm so I'm sorta using that to determine it's on....I turned memory mapping above 4gb on and aspm disabled. Tried pcie link speed auto and 3.
Have you tried installing the drivers?

Sure. They work perfectly.

Have you tried installing the drivers?
No I haven't yet. I would have assumed that I would have at least had an unknown in device manager. I'll try drivers and see...I won't be home for a few days though.
Ive read many can't even get their PC to boot with a Tesla card so I'm ahead of the game there.

Ok well I took out my gtx1070 and swapped it for my Quadro k2000. Loaded the driver for the k2000 and then downloaded the driver for the Tesla k10. All that happened doing that was the older Nvidia driver for the k10 was loaded for the k2000. I still see nothing in device manager for the k10. The only hint of having anything in that slot is in the bios. Listed as PCI bridge. GPUz only shows the k2000. Any ideas??
PXL_20230214_153658303.jpg

Ok well I took out my gtx1070 and swapped it for my Quadro k2000. Loaded the driver for the k2000 and then downloaded the driver for the Tesla k10. All that happened doing that was the older Nvidia driver for the k10 was loaded for the k2000. I still see nothing in device manager for the k10. The only hint of having anything in that slot is in the bios. Listed as PCI bridge. GPUz only shows the k2000. Any ideas??View attachment 283769
Swap slots. The main video card needs to be mounted closest to the CPU socket. Your Tesla card is headerless which is likely why the bios is refusing to see it properly.

Swap slots. The main video card needs to be mounted closest to the CPU socket. Your Tesla card is headerless which is likely why the bios is refusing to see it properly.
I'll give it a shot. I had it in that particular config because I was trying it with my 1070. Having the 1070 in slot 2 had the fans completely blocked off being right behind the Tesla. Should be able to try like you said with my little Quadro just fine. Looking at some bios settings that servers require to run these cards there does appear to be more to it than just pnp.

I'll give it a shot. I had it in that particular config because I was trying it with my 1070. Having the 1070 in slot 2 had the fans completely blocked off being right behind the Tesla. Should be able to try like you said with my little Quadro just fine. Looking at some bios settings that servers require to run these cards there does appear to be more to it than just pnp.
The way Dell configs their workstations, the primary GPU must always be in the primary PCIe slot. GPGPUs must be in the second or third slot. The manual will give more info.
dl.dell.com/topicspdf/precision-t5810-workstation_owners-manual_en-us.pdf
In your situation, I'd recommend the third slot if you want to use the 1070. The fact that it's PCIe4X slot will not hurt performance until you get into extreme workloads, which is unlikely with that setup. The Tesla performance will still be solid.

elzorroazul777

Have Dell Precision 7610 w/ 2 xeon 2650 v2, 128gb ddr3 1333mhz ecc ram, nvidia quadro k420, nvidia tesla p40, sata connected ssd, and pci connected nvme ssd. I have been having a terrible time getting Windows 11 up and running. I keep running into freezes during the boot splash screen just before Windows turns on.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for troubleshooting?

Have Dell Precision 7610 w/ 2 xeon 2650 v2, 128gb ddr3 1333mhz ecc ram, nvidia quadro k420, nvidia tesla p40, sata connected ssd, and pci connected nvme ssd. I have been having a terrible time getting Windows 11 up and running. I keep running into freezes during the boot splash screen just before Windows turns on.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for troubleshooting?
Did the exact config work just fine in windows 10? And did you already get 11 installed and this is just the result of trying to boot into it?