• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dell Workstation Owners Club

System Name RemixedBeast-NX
Processor Intel Xeon E5-2690 @ 2.9Ghz (8C/16T)
Motherboard Dell Inc. 08HPGT (CPU 1)
Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Nvidia RTX2060 6GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD//2TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + Dell E2013H 20 in @1600x900
Case Dell Precision T3600 Chassis
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 // Fiio E7 Amp/DAC
Power Supply 630w Dell T3600 PSU
Mouse Logitech G700s/G502
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Benchmark Scores Network: APs: Cisco Meraki MR32, Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-LR and Lite Router/Sw:Meraki MX64 MS220-8P

hicksd8

Hi All,

Seeking Dell Precision T7500 experience for weird problem

My first post here. I've been in electronics and I.T. for over 50 years (showing my age here now) but this seems to be a weird one. A quick online search revealed this "Dell Workstation Owners Club" so I hope this is the right place to ask.

I have a T7500 which works well (fairly well loaded with dual X5687's, 192GB RAM, Quadro, etc) and not given any issues apart from having to re-seat the riser module once. I am loathed to borrow bits from this machine to troubleshoot a second system in case I end up with neither machine running.

Anyway, I bought a second T7500 which initially worked despite complaining about faulty memory stick which turned out to be due to bent pins on the LGA1366, but suddenly it gave me the error on power up of LED's 1 & 2 flashing, the HD LED solid ON, and then after 5 seconds it shuts off. So power is only on for 5 seconds. Let's call this "the error".

So I get another mobo into which I put a X5687 and 3 x 8GB RAM and it powers up. So I run the Diagnostics (on the BIOS menu) and it completes the initial memory tests ok and offers to run further memory tests and I say "Y". During this extended running the power suddenly shuts off. Trying to re-power on I get the error again. Power only on for 5 seconds. Same LED diagnostics as before.

I then change the 1100watt PSU (but not the loom but surely that isn't the problem is it???)(despite the BIST working on the old one) but I still get "the error". No joy.

Now, reading forums I learn that older versions of the BIOS don't support the later faster processors so I get yet another mobo (BIOS A10) and put a E5502 CPU in it and a single 8GB RAM module. The system comes up!!! Then, step-by-step, I update the BIOS from A10 to A18 (which is the latest that I can find). I run the basic memory diags again and it passes. So I remove the E5502 and replace it with a X5687 and increase the RAM to 48GB. I run the first stage memory diags and it passes. Yeah! So I insert a riser with a matching X5687 and a further 48GB RAM (all same manufacturer/speed, etc) and the system comes up again. It boots up Windows 10 and all seems well.

So I decide as a final confidence trick I'll run the BIOS diags. It run the basic memory tests and passes. It gives the option of running the extended additional memory tests so I think "Why not?" and press "Y". The screen shows that it's testing 96GB using 8 CPUs so I walk away and leave it running. When I return the system is dead. When I power on I get "the error" again. Power shuts off after 5 seconds.

I've cleared the BIOS several times whilst working with these 3 mobo but it doesn't get rid of "the error". So unless something is blowing motherboards up or these mobos are somehow weak (P/N: 06FW8P) then the problem is not the motherboard or indeed the PSU. So what the hell is going on??????

I've also read that the front panel can be faulty but haven't yet got another one.

Any of you Dell T7500 experts seen this problem before?? LEDs 1 & 2 flash, HD LED solid on, and power down after just 5 seconds. If so, please tell me what to do next.

Toothless

Tech, Games, and TPU!
Supporter
System Name Veral
Processor 5950x
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi
Cooling Corsair H150i RGB Elite
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill TridentZ
Video Card(s) Powercolor 7900XTX Red Devil
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 1TB, Samsung 980 1TB, Teamgroup MP34 4TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro XZ342CK Pbmiiphx + 2x AOC 2425W
Case Fractal Design Meshify Lite 2
Audio Device(s) Blue Yeti + SteelSeries Arctis 5 / Samsung HW-T550
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Corsair Nightsword
Keyboard Corsair K55
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Software Windows 11 Professional
Benchmark Scores PEBCAK

Gave an old GPU some new life while it pulled warm air out. Cooler temps in the case and prevented ewaste. Win win!

So I get another mobo into which I put a X5687 and 3 x 8GB RAM and it powers up.
Have you tried booting up with 3x2GB DIMMs on 1CPU? 8GB DIMMs are not officially supported and might be the source of the error.

I've seen something similar to what you're describing and changing the RAM solved the problem.

Also, take photo's of your RAM, let's make sure they're all the right type and that they all match each other. And what I mean by taking photo's, literally take them all out and lay them label side up and snap a photo, then post it here.

Last edited:

sk111

Hi guys does anyone know how to successfully Turbo Boost Unlock a Xeon e5 2600 series on a dell t5810. I have some instability issues that the computer even though it runs prime95 easily for an hour it crashes on a youtube video :) so on low usage rather than high usage.

JHAKK

sk111

Hi guys does anyone know how to successfully Turbo Boost Unlock a Xeon e5 2600 series on a dell t5810.
No. Those CPUs are locked and can not be unlocked. Sorry to dash your hopes, but that is the reality of that line of CPUs. All Xeon E5 V3's are locked down.

pk223

Hi,

I have a Precision 7820 with Dual Xeon 6140, works fine with my 1050ti. I initially wanted to use an Intel Arc A770 card in it for my video work but it will not POST at all. Right now the system posts fine but it does take it a literal minute.

The firmware is up to date (latest). It is running Windows 11 UEFI with Firmware/Chipset updates installed. I did reset CMOS and try reseating card, alternating cables and such already. If anyone has a lead at all it would be much appreciated.

When the card is in it, it lights up and fans spin but not display or POST. I waited 10 minutes before shutting it off.

sk111

No. Those CPUs are locked and can not be unlocked. Sorry to dash your hopes, but that is the reality of that line of CPUs. All Xeon E5 V3's are locked down.
Well yes they are in terms of all cores hitting Turbo boost speeds (not overclock)... already done it and there is a process around it. I am inquiring if anyone has followed the newer process that has advantages over the old one. These are for the E5 2600 v3 series. The E5 1650 v3 and 1680 v3 can also be overclocked (in my current T5810 I have the 1650v3 OCed @4.3Ghz stable using TS.

Last edited:
The E5 1650 v3 and 1680 v3 can also be overclocked (in my current T5810 I have the 1650v3 OCed @4.3Ghz stable using TS.
Are they? I was thinking all of the V3's & V4's were completely locked. Sorry about that.

EDIT:
A conversation in another thread clarified some info.
So it seems that the V4's are completely locked. I was confused as to which models were and were not unlocked.

Last edited:

sk111

Are they? I was thinking all of the V3's & V4's were completely locked. Sorry about that.

EDIT:
A conversation in another thread clarified some info.
So it seems that the V4's are completely locked. I was confused as to which models were and were not unlocked.
No worries. I wonder if anyone has done the new Turbo boost unlock process successfully on the T5810.

sk111

Fair enough. Thanks for chiming in anyway.
I will describe the issue in the new mod case you have an idea. I believe it has to do with the C-states that are set as follows on the Optimal (Failsafe as they are currently at default) as when I did disable the c-states in Bios it was not crushing but the speed was reduced to 3.3Ghz.
1718811387063.png

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
disable the c-states in Bios it was not crushing but the speed was reduced to 3.3Ghz
Intel Turbo Boost depends on the core C states being enabled. When you disable the C states, most Intel CPUs will run slower when lightly loaded.

Here is an example of a 10850K when set to the default turbo ratios. With the C states disabled, the CPU will be limited to the 48 multiplier. None of the higher multipliers will work unless you overclock by setting all Groups to the same turbo ratio. You can overclock a K series CPU to get around the C states limitation but you will not be able to get around this limitation on a locked non K CPU.

A CPU needs to have access to at least the core C3 state to take advantage of maximum turbo boost.

1718814450016.png

sk111

Intel Turbo Boost depends on the core C states being enabled. When you disable the C states, most Intel CPUs will run slower when lightly loaded.

Here is an example of a 10850K when set to the default turbo ratios. With the C states disabled, the CPU will be limited to the 48 multiplier. None of the higher multipliers will work unless you overclock by setting all Groups to the same turbo ratio. You can overclock a K series CPU to get around the C states limitation but you will not be able to get around this limitation on a locked non K CPU.

A CPU needs to have access to at least the core C3 state to take advantage of maximum turbo boost.

View attachment 352005
Interesting in the original hack (which works fine) the C3 and C6 are both disabled and yet the processor hits the max limit 3.6 GHz but consumes about 20Watt more at idle and if it goes into sleep mode kind of gets off sync (so cannot allow sleep). I guess it is part of the hack

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
I guess it is part of the hack
If you are using an early microcode version then the limitations that Intel enforces on their retail CPUs might not exist. I have seen some hacks where ThrottleStop just querying the processor by accessing the FIVR control register will snap the CPU out of the hack and reset the turbo ratios to default values. When trying to take advantage of a back door that Intel accidentally left open, anything can happen.

System Name BTXTREME
Processor QX6800 SLACP Core2 Extreme
Motherboard Dell 0WG864 LGA775 BTX
Cooling Dell T9303 heatpipe cooler, Delta GFB1212VHG 2 motor fan.
Memory 8GB Dell DDR2@800
Video Card(s) Sapphire Dual BIOS R9-285 ITX O/C 2GB DDR5
Storage Crucial M500 240GB SSD
Display(s) Dell 22" LCD
Case Dell Dimension E 520 MT
Audio Device(s) onboard sound with Logitech Z523 speakers
Power Supply EVGA B2 750W semi modular
Mouse Logitech wireless (two installed)
Keyboard Logitech wireless backlit
Software Win7-64, Throttlestop 6.00 overclock
Benchmark Scores 3DMark 11 P7644 (52% )In Win7 64, Firestrike 6892 ( 58% ) http://valid.x86.fr/l2j5p1

I guess this suits Dell T3500? LGA1366 https://www.inet.se/produkt/6308881/noctua-nh-d9dx-i4-3u but how to solve the 4 pin fan when dell have 5?
You can look around in the Throttlestop Overclocking thread for some T3500 cooling mods.
I found that Thermalright hardware has the right threads to match Dell. T3500 bolts into the case, ATX bolts through the MB so it can be anything.
Most large aftermarket coolers are too tall for the Dell workstation cases. So do some measuring there. They're sized to be rack mounted sideways so not ATX Tower sized.
The simple answer to the 4/5 pin fan connector is to use Dell Delta fans. The T3500 came with 2x .9A. fans. Probably much better than what you're considering.
There is a very simple non PWM fan mod using the stock cooler. It's working for a user in India with no air conditioning. Look at Mangupta's posts there.
A little more info. on what you're trying to do would help.

Thanks for the help. I had a wifi card in one of the pci-e x8 to my T3500. I had trouble with the card lost connection often and now the port do not seems to work. I changed to the highest port nearest the psu and the wifi card worked. I noticed that the card was a little loose in the pci-e under. I guess it can have slide a little when i often changed the antenna placement. I guess i can have ruined the port by having it loose? The computer did restart with a error message when i changed the antenna placement. But strange enough the card seems whole.