• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dell Workstation Owners Club

Thanks, yeah kind of new that. My comments are around if the H700 is really capable of 6gbps with SATA SSD.
It can through the PCIe connection with multiple drives connected, but the drive/controller interconnect can not. Does that make sense?

It can through the PCIe connection with multiple drives connected, but the drive/controller interconnect can not. Does that make sense?

SATA RAID Controller cards are outdated now ......

in 2019 ........ For NVME Raid Setup ........

Probably a PCIE Card of this sort would be required ........ also required an empty slot on motherboard (full 16X pcie slot at it would require 4 lanes for each of the 4 nvme ssd.)

1562814587860.png

Last edited:

olddatsunfan

So I've finished refurbishing the T3500's and put them into service. #1 has 18gb of ram, 240gb ssd, 1TB 7200 rpm hdd, Gtx 750ti and an X5650. #2 has 18gb of ram, 240gb ssd, 1TB 7200 rpm hdd, Gtx 1050 and a W3680. I've also refurbished a Z400 with 12gb of ram, 240gb ssd, 7200 rpm hdd, Gtx 750ti and an X5650. That was a lot of fun putting them together and testing them. Now I'm working on a Z420, it has so far, 32gb of ram, 480gb ssd, 2TB 7200 rpm hdd, Gtx 1050ti and a E5-1650v2 in it. This has been interesting replacing all of the old broken or slow machines in our house!

sweet2th

Hey everyone, T7500 owner here. I've got a single X5650, 24GB of RAM and a 980 Ti. Unfortunately, while the system POSTs, it won't boot into Windows. Any ideas? There aren't any beep codes or lights on the front panel.

System Name Dell T3500
Processor Xeon X5687
Motherboard Dell - 9KPNV
Cooling Dell U016F
Memory 12gb ECC 1333
Video Card(s) MSI rx480 gaming X
Storage 1tb WD blue
Case Dell T3500
Hey everyone, T7500 owner here. I've got a single X5650, 24GB of RAM and a 980 Ti. Unfortunately, while the system POSTs, it won't boot into Windows. Any ideas? There aren't any beep codes or lights on the front panel.
No error codes on the screen either? Have you run the onboard diagnostics by typing 'F12' at startup?

Last edited:
Do you have any bootable USB drive the system is looking too?

sweet2th

No error codes on the screen either? Have you run the onboard diagnostics by typing 'F12' at startup?

Yep, on-screen diagnostics don't flag any errors. The drive works in another machine too.

Do you have any bootable USB drive the system is looking too?

Nope, there are no bootable USBs plugged in.

The only thing that happens after the Dell splash screen is an infinitely flashing underscore.

The only thing that happens after the Dell splash screen is an infinitely flashing underscore.
Based on that description, it would seem that the BIOS is handing off to the boot sectors of the hard drive but getting stuck part way. Did you reinstall the OS recently? And if so, did you let Windows partition the drive or did you select one that was already present on the drive?

sweet2th

Based on that description, it would seem that the BIOS is handing off to the boot sectors of the hard drive but getting stuck part way. Did you reinstall the OS recently? And if so, did you let Windows partition the drive or did you select one that was already present on the drive?

I haven't reinstalled recently, no. After a recommendation on Dell Community, I did scan it for errors and repair them whilst it was in another system, although the issue was there beforehand.

I haven't reinstalled recently, no. After a recommendation on Dell Community, I did scan it for errors and repair them whilst it was in another system, although the issue was there beforehand.
What is very likely is that your boot sector is borked somehow. Would you like to repair it or is a fresh install of Windows a better option?

I'd prefer to repair it. How do I go about doing that?
It's a bit lengthy of a process.
1. You need a spare PC, or spare hard drive with Windows installed to download and install the utility to.
2. Download Aomei's Partition Manager. It's free for personal use, but will ask for an email. If you don't want to get them yours put in something fake such as " nowayjose256@yahoo.com ".
3. Install and run it.
4. Once you start the program make sure the drive in question is attached to the spare system and is being seen but the the utility. It will likely show up as " Disk 2"
5. Right click on the drive in question and select " Rebuild MBR ". See picture below;
RebuildMBR01.jpg

6. A dialog will open asking you to select the type of MBR you wish to use, go with the default show below and click " Ok ".
RebuildMBR02.jpg

7. In the upper left corner, click the " Apply " button, see below;
RebuildMBR03.jpg

8. A dialog will ask you if you wish to apply the changes, click " Proceed ".
9. After this is completed, connect the drive as it was to boot and give it a try. It should boot to Windows assuming the partition isn't corrupted in some manner.

Let us now how it goes.

sweet2th

Well, I can use the F1 and F2 keys in bootup again. Unfortunately, now it says that no Boot Drive is available.

System Name Dell T3500
Processor Xeon X5687
Motherboard Dell - 9KPNV
Cooling Dell U016F
Memory 12gb ECC 1333
Storage 1tb WD blue
Case Dell T3500
Yep, on-screen diagnostics don't flag any errors. The drive works in another machine too.

Have you tried clearing the CMOS? That should change everything back to factory defaults, and hopefully fix any errors where perhaps the boot sequence is not looking for the drive. This page outlines the procedure. It's worth a shot.

Last edited:

sweet2th

Have you tried clearing the CMOS? That should change everything back to factory defaults, and hopefully fix any errors where perhaps the boot sequence is not looking for the drive. This page outlines the procedure. It's worth a shot.

Tested another drive in the Dell and it worked. Turns out my W10 install was wrecked. Had to reinstall. Working great now!

Well, great other than the DIMM1 slot has seemingly suddenly died.

System Name Dell T3500
Processor Xeon X5687
Motherboard Dell - 9KPNV
Cooling Dell U016F
Memory 12gb ECC 1333
Storage 1tb WD blue
Case Dell T3500
Tested another drive in the Dell and it worked. Turns out my W10 install was wrecked. Had to reinstall. Working great now!

Too bad it required a re-install but good to hear it's solved. And now a DIMM problem? Has to be frustrating. Just to cover obvious. You did move them around to see if it was the slot or that particular module?

[U][LEFT][B][SIZE=4][FONT=TPU-Body][COLOR=rgb(34, 51, 68)]olddatsunfan[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/LEFT][/U]Nice job on the HP's...I have z420's and Z400's also; I did the exact same thing, phasing out all of the old amd's and the Z77/Z87/Z97 custom builds.
Here is a thread I created if you want to post your progress or pictures of your builds!!

Was it working earlier ? Did you changed the amount of RAM or changed the dimm slots? How many and which slots are populated now?

One area which has been apparently completely unaffected by the launch of Ryzen 3000 series is .......

the USED PRE-BUILT systems like Dell Optiplexes and Precisions ........ they are still great VFM ...

sweet2th

Sorry for the late reply, stuff's been a bit hectic. Tried moving all the RAM but no luck. Frustrating because it worked when I bought it, literally died all of a sudden. Could be something blocking contact, I don't know.

Also, has anyone done a case swap? I'm thinking of either doing that or spray painting the case and modding in a side panel window.

Also, anyone know where I can get the kit to add in a second CPU?

System Name XENOS (z-ee-n-oh-s)
Processor Intel Xeon W3680 OC 4.00 Ghz (6 cores, 12 threads)
Motherboard Dell Precision T3500 09KPNV BIOS A17
Cooling x2 OEM Foxconn 120mm in front, Nidec Beta V 90mm on CPU, x2 Insignia fans 80mm as Exhaust
Memory 24GB DDR3 1600Mhz PC3-12800U Non-ECC 3x8GB Crucial
Video Card(s) XFX GTS Black Edition Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5 1405 Mhz
Storage x1 512GB Kingston KC400 SSD (boot), x1 Samsung 512GB SSD (games), and 2TB Seagate Mobile HDD
Display(s) x2 Dell Ultrasharp 2407WFPB (1920x1200, 60hz) & Samsung PN60F5500 3D Smart TV (1920x1080)
Case Dell Precision T5550 computer case
Audio Device(s) On-board sound (High Definition Audio Device), & AMD High Definition Audio Device
Power Supply Dell OEM 875W PSU
Mouse Rosewill NEON M62 (10000 DPI)
Keyboard Rosewill NEON K85 RGB (Kailh brown key switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit version 1909
Benchmark Scores Unigine Heaven 4.0 Score: 1244;
Hi everyone again.

I just gotten the Delta AFC1512DG and the Nidec Beta V TA350DC with the thermal resistor as ManGupta has recommended.
First of all, the Delta fan BIG. It won't fit in the assembly, but i can put it in the computer case.
20190828_175118.jpg
This fan does not have PWM apparently.
20190828_175240.jpg
As for the Beta V, i don't have the molex to 3-pin yet. I'm expecting to receive in Sept. 4th.
Hopefully by then, i could bring the W3680 up to 4 GHz!

Hi everyone again.

I just gotten the Delta AFC1512DG and the Nidec Beta V TA350DC with the thermal resistor as ManGupta has recommended.
First of all, the Delta fan BIG. It won't fit in the assembly, but i can put it in the computer case.
View attachment 130311
This fan does not have PWM apparently.
View attachment 130312
As for the Beta V, i don't have the molex to 3-pin yet. I'm expecting to receive in Sept. 4th.
Hopefully by then, i could bring the W3680 up to 4 GHz!

Nidec Beta V TA350DC is not meant to have PWM (anyway Delll's default PWM is a shitty fan controller that does not sufficiently increases the fan speed even when temp hits TJ Max) as the Fan Controller is Thermistor Based and you need to use this fan in PULL Configuration that is you mount this fan on the back side of the heatsink so that it pulls in air through it and the temp of the air passing thru its thermistor will regulate the fan speed.

BUT

Delta AFC1512DG that Retrorockit used and recommended had recommended with certain caveats.

1) He advised to buy the whole Dell Precision 490 Fan assembly with contained AFC1512DG and a smaller 90 mm fan all in the Dell Fan Housing which will replace the default Dell Precision t3500 front fan assembly.

2) This change must be accompanied with change in the Dell Default heatsink which needs to ne replaced with a larger heatsink like ninja scythe or thermaltake one.

3) Delta AFC1512DG is not meant to be used with dell smaller heatsink because it will make thermal performance worse. (Please go back and read Retrorockit's replies to my post regarding the "Role of Air Duct in cooling solution".

4) If you are not using larger Heatsink like ninja scythe or thermaltake but just using the smaller Dell's default HS or any other smaller HS like Dynatron, you would be better of with dell existing front fan assembly (instead of Delta AFC1512DG) plus just a Nidec Beta V TA350DC mounted on it in Pull Configuration.

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
System Name XENOS (z-ee-n-oh-s)
Processor Intel Xeon W3680 OC 4.00 Ghz (6 cores, 12 threads)
Motherboard Dell Precision T3500 09KPNV BIOS A17
Cooling x2 OEM Foxconn 120mm in front, Nidec Beta V 90mm on CPU, x2 Insignia fans 80mm as Exhaust
Memory 24GB DDR3 1600Mhz PC3-12800U Non-ECC 3x8GB Crucial
Video Card(s) XFX GTS Black Edition Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5 1405 Mhz
Storage x1 512GB Kingston KC400 SSD (boot), x1 Samsung 512GB SSD (games), and 2TB Seagate Mobile HDD
Display(s) x2 Dell Ultrasharp 2407WFPB (1920x1200, 60hz) & Samsung PN60F5500 3D Smart TV (1920x1080)
Case Dell Precision T5550 computer case
Audio Device(s) On-board sound (High Definition Audio Device), & AMD High Definition Audio Device
Power Supply Dell OEM 875W PSU
Mouse Rosewill NEON M62 (10000 DPI)
Keyboard Rosewill NEON K85 RGB (Kailh brown key switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit version 1909
Benchmark Scores Unigine Heaven 4.0 Score: 1244;
I see. I guess should've done more research. It also explains the bad performance on XTU benchmark. Thanks ManGupta!

I found out that the fans in the assembly are Foxconn PV123812DSPF and they are 120mm, so could I just install aftermarket 120mm fans like the Cooler-Master JetFlo 120s?

I'm unsure if any heatsink could be installed besides Dell heatsinks so that's why.

EDIT: I think I'll take back on replacing the Foxconn fan, I found out they are rated at 150 CFM while the JetFlo's are 95 CFM, so I think I should just look into the "replacing the heatsink with a larger one" plan if that's possible.

Last edited:
I see. I guess should've done more research. It also explains the bad performance on XTU benchmark. Thanks ManGupta!

I found out that the fans in the assembly are Foxconn PV123812DSPF and they are 120mm, so could I just install aftermarket 120mm fans like the Cooler-Master JetFlo 120s?

I'm unsure if any heatsink could be installed besides Dell heatsinks so that's why.

EDIT: I think I'll take back on replacing the Foxconn fan, I found out they are rated at 150 CFM while the JetFlo's are 95 CFM, so I think I should just look into the "replacing the heatsink with a larger one" plan if that's possible.

T3500 dual 120 mm front fans are actually very good fans, industrial grade fans. It's the Dell's shitty fan controller that holds it back. One way to get around it is adding a thermistor controlled fan like Nidec that does not rely on Dell fan controller.

But be warned that changing the Dell heatsink is not simple nor everyone's cup of tea. It involves a hell lot of metalwork mods. Retrorockit is a very seasoned and veteran mechanic and what may be easy for him may be very tall order for others.

I advice you to go back to this thread and read Retrorockit's various posts and pics posted regarding the cooling mods done by him, before going ahead ........