• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

DTS DCH Driver for Realtek HDA [DTS:X APO4 + DTS Interactive]

Off topic,: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 4647.1 MHz - CPU-Z VALIDATOR (x86.fr)

----

Here is what I normally run:

1663946520531.png

I renamed the CPU in case you are wondering, simply because its neater and to remove all the spaces.

1663946582956.png

:)

Last edited:
How to get the most from DTS Interactive, after install steps (optional):

Files: 'DTS Preset.reg' and 'Multichannel [Interactive].reg', from 'DTS Settings'.

> Open 'FX Config' (Tools folder in the driver package), select the optical device from the top, then on the right press 'Copy GUID'.
> Right click and edit both .reg files, replacing {DEVICE-ID} with the one you copied from FX config.

> In Windows sound settings, right click disable the device, apply the .reg files (double click), then re-enable.

Roundup.png

> Cut 'dts_apo4_oem_config_1025133B.xml' from 'C:\Windows\System32\DTS\PC\APO4x', and place it on your desktop.
> Using notepad or other text editing apps, replace "Off"-"Off" on SFX with "Any"-"Stereo".

> Cut and paste the .xml file back to 'C:\Windows\System32\DTS\PC\APO4x', then restart your computer.

1664019540099.png

----

Note: SFX can cause a delay with stereo on some devices. Feel free to modify the FX settings. Interactive is multichannel.

Nice!

If I was interested in the older DTS (APO2?) - how would I go about installing it? Is the older one used in the hifiooo release? Archiving purposes and such. Looking to try the older one without Realtek drivers installed (I find the Mobo's SPDiF with Windows HDA drivers and DTS haxxed in, superior).

Hope you're well!

Can't remember the files for APO2, but most of what you need to do is copy the files to Windows somewhere then register the DLLs, and apply the SFX, MFX, EFX keys to the device.
Thats the short of it, there might (and probably is) more steps you need to take if there are services, .exe files, but I don't think APO2 has a service .exe.

====

0%.png

ScooterTooterNoober

I have no idea what I'm doing and everything on this forum is blasting over my head at lightspeed. I was able to remove the realtek driver and installed your driver, and it says DTS on the advanced page in properties on the optical out that I'm trying, I'm using a Dennon 4306 and a tomahawk b550, 2080 msi, and a Ryzen 9 5900x with 64 gb of ram. It's so frustrating to do the test for DTS on the supported formats page and not be able to select surround sound from right clicking the speaker icon in the corner. (I also tried changing it in the spatial sound format and it won't work. I have the download DTS Sound Unbound and its says it's licensed but I need to turn on the spatial sound setting for it to work.

@ScooterTooterNoober - include pics if you can :) are you trying to get DTS Interactive (audio format, selectable) or DTS X HT via DTS Sound Unbound? The latter will override DTS Interactive in formats, displaying DTS:X for Home Theatre instead.

And optical out, you say. I take it as you want DTS Interactive with the Spatial DTS X HeadPhone (with "Speaker" preset)?

Quite a few people get muddled with stereo and multichannel, DTS Interactive is multichannel, spatial enhancements are for stereo only, they do not function on multichannel.
Spatial is to mimic multichannel over stereo (2 channels such as stereo speakers or headphones), spatial does not work for multichannel.

However, DTS APO4 does have multichannel mode, and when using DTS Interactive you get the multichannel processing.
SPDIF does not yet have speaker config, this will come with the newer standard (hopefully).

-----

For SPDIF - DTS Interactive, you install the driver and go, else there is the optional changes above, nothing else to do or enable.

If you want to upmix all stereo sources, I suggest EAPO - Stereo Surround Upmixer (5.1 - 7.1).
This upmixes 2 channel (stereo) into 5.1 or 7.1 'stereo surround'.

-----

If I play stereo audio, which is then upmixed by E-APO, due to the preset and multichannel enhancements, I get 3D audio.
I can hear front, side, rear and even transition between front-rear, although it depends on the audio.

Last edited:
Just so you know, the current version is fully unlocked by me alone, and its 100% free. However, I like DTS so I decided to buy a Sound Unbound license, plus I get all the SU updates.

Not that I use stereo at all. Also as a side note, Sound Unbound is part of the APO4 system, which is essentially bundled with DTS:X Ultra (APO4) with this driver.

1664188385588.png 1664188454932.png

====

Reminder, you can use 'DTS Settings' on other HDA devices, such as your GPU, although with some limits (form factor).
If you intend to use stereo with SPDIF-HDMI you will need the following package: External Speakers.

====

For USB devices, you need to edit the registry to trick the system into a HDA device.

Open the device properties point in the registry (using any tool you like), you can check the devices name.

Find and copy the value of '{b3f8fa53-0004-438e-9003-51a46e139bfc},2', replace the value with one from a real HDA device.
Next, replace '{a45c254e-df1c-4efd-8020-67d146a850e0},24', with 'HDAUDIO', then restart your PC.

USB.png

Last edited:
Finally found a way to fix the odd Windows audio service issue that effects various drivers and APO's, I believe it's to do with the random way Windows starts drivers-services.
After the change you should notice the audio volume and quality go up a bit, depending on if you were affected by the odd issue (Windows it seems).

----

First disable the auto start of 'audio service' and 'endpoint builder' in Windows services, by putting them on manual start, rather than automatic.

1664733216511.png

Copy the 'Fixes' folder to 'C:\Windows\', then open 'Task Scheduler', navigate to 'Microsoft\Windows', import the 'Audio Service.xml'.

1664733443168.png

----

Stop both services, then right click the task and run to make sure its working, if not remove the task, and edit the .xml.

1664733508312.png

Change '%windir%' to 'C:\', save, then import.

====

A fresh start with no audio apps open or any on startup (Discord, Steam, so on), you should only ever see 0%.

1664811205810.png

After playing some music and closing, it should return to 0%.

====

If you are using my EAPO config, I use the following LFE gain, there is crossover and gain on SPDIF (DTS).

Upmixer.png

If you would like to alter the channels globally, use the digital tab (green up arrow on the main screen).

Digital.png

----

1664819975928.png

Last edited:
If you are using multichannel SPDIF (DTS), use 'DTS Preset.reg' and 'Multichannel [Interactive].reg' to get HT mode (see here), dont worry about the preset (optional).
See post 1 if you need help with the installation.

Note SPDIF in HT mode will cause the Photo's app to not passthrough, however Potplayer works as intended, I set the default to decode all to PCM.
Enable passthrough if you want to bitstream.

1665484645566.png

When in WASAPI mode, PCM will be sent [as is], no change, no enhancers (PCM Direct).
Passthrough formats will also be sent [as is], hardware dependant.

If you get any noise when decoding files such as Dolby to PCM, disable the normalizer.

1665484937140.png

====

You can also swap between Interactive and Stereo on SPDIF, by setting up both .reg files, and double click each as you need.

====

Use E-APO to upmix stereo to multichannel, it will be enhanced by DTS, creating a unique stereo experience.

Last edited:
Quick Guide:

Unplug your network cable, then in 'Device manager' (type into Windows start > search), right click the current DTS DCH device, select uninstall, then tick 'Delete driver'.

1665489676434.png

Now open two command prompts windows as Admin, in the first one type: [pnputil -e], in the second one type: [pnputil -d oem.inf] -- no [].

1665489881731.png

Look for DTS and Ferather details, then edit 'pnputil -d oem.inf', with the number on screen, example: [pnputil -d oem8.inf].

1665490029675.png

Repeat until all is clear, then double click 'Install' (driver), yes to all, restart.

----

Then the [optional] changes to SPDIF if you want Home Theatre (HT).
E-APO gets setup last (don't forget to remove old if using).

Its more polished and optimized, a mild improvement to audio in my case. Mostly more efficient and optimized.

I doubt at this point you will get more audio quality squeezed out of the Realtek APO.
Mostly bug fixes, compatibility, optimizations, features.

There is a new dll in terms of the Realtek audio service, its to do with Speaker systems.

Graph.png

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 223872

One thing I find annoying is that when I install these drivers, Windows identifies that I am using a mod driver and then reverts back to the original PC driver. Do you know how to stop Windows from not updating the audio driver?

Yes, as long as you right click > uninstall > delete driver, and the device has disappeared. If you have ever used my other DTS package (not meant to), you will need to do the same to your GPU.

Edit: The other package is for non-Realtek devices, or cases where a specific Realtek driver is needed, but does not have DTS already.

----

In a normal circumstance you simply install the DTS DCH driver, main (SPDIF): DTS Interactive native, alternative: Stereo PCM native.
The optional 'DTS Settings' is utility for SPDIF, and can also be used to program a GPU (even Interactive).

If you modify a GPU with DTS Interactive out, make sure the receiver supports 'DTS Audio', else use the other files.

HDMI.png

FX Config (Tools folder) > device > import (edited reg file).

Last edited:
When you say ".. for HT on SPDiF .." do you mean DTS Sound Unbound DTS X HomeTheatre? Or which HT? How HT am I on this? ;)

The device settings for PCM processing are fully set as 6 channels 48k 24bit, although this effects bitstreaming with some apps.
The legacy default is to partially setup as 6 channel PCM, to allow some apps to support legacy mode.

Personally I prefer the HT mode, which is the same setup as 6 channel analogue and HDMI, opposed to legacy mode.

====

How it works (why we use passthrough):

6 channel 48k 24b PCM (any source) >> [SPDIF PCM set to Stereo 48k 24b] >> Stereo (2ch) PCM Processing >> SPDIF Transmitter [2ch max, 44.1-192K, we set 2ch 48k 24b] >> 2ch 48k 24b.
6 channel 48k 24b PCM >> [SPDIF PCM @ 6ch 48k 24b] >> 6ch PCM Processing >> SPDIF Transmitter [2ch max, 44.1-192K, we set 6ch 48k 24b] >> fail or 2ch 48k 24b.

6 channel 48k 24b PCM >> [SPDIF PCM @ 6ch 48k 24b] >> 6ch PCM Processing >> Encoder >> SPDIF Transmitter [passthrough 2ch, DTS] >> 6ch 48k 24b DTS.

----

If you choose to use HT mode, be aware some apps will see 6 and not 2 when detecting the correct settings to bitstream-passthrough.

Last edited:
Thanks m8, be aware SPDIF transmitters-receivers can do 2-15 channels @ 22-192k, but you will mostly likely ever see 15 x 96k, since 15 x 192k is too much for HDA (capped to ~37mbps).

1665505984204.png

D

Deleted member 223872

Guia rápido:

Desconecte o cabo de rede e, em 'Gerenciador de dispositivos' (digite em Iniciar do Windows> pesquisar), clique com o botão direito do mouse no dispositivo DTS DCH atual, selecione desinstalar e marque 'Excluir driver'.

View attachment 264987

Agora abra duas janelas de prompts de comando como Admin, na primeira digite: [pnputil -e], na segunda digite: [pnputil -d oem.inf] -- no [].

View attachment 264988

Procure por detalhes de DTS e Ferather, então edite 'pnputil -d oem.inf', com o número na tela, exemplo: [pnputil -d oem8.inf].

View attachment 264989

Repita até que tudo esteja limpo, clique duas vezes em 'Instalar' (driver), sim para todos, reinicie.

----

Em seguida, o [opcional] muda para SPDIF se você quiser Home Theater (HT).
O E-APO é configurado por último (não se esqueça de remover o antigo se estiver usando).
I just installed version 94 and I thought it was better than the previous one, I thought it was higher with a little more quality great work Ferather

No problem, I built the driver to give us all a professional experience with Realtek, depending on the model, you will beat various dedicated devices that cost £100+.

My S1220-A, Asus edition with hardware DSP, is already out-of-the box better than a Xonar, but I believe that's intended.

1665578580169.png

====

@emanresu, the legacy system is LFX, GFX (not SFX, MFX, EFX).

APO.png

Passthrough.png

1665580513038.png

----

DTS DCH [6ch 48k 24b] - E-APO Upmixer.png

----

SPDIF-HDMI bonus:

8 channels to 6 (virtual side), using the following speaker config.

Setup.png
SPK Placement.png

> 8 channel PCM source <

Last edited: