• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

DTS DCH Driver for Realtek HDA [DTS:X APO4 + DTS Interactive]

Correct, only readable (read only) if you don't want to change channels. Goes to show you Windows can not do lossless audio out of the box (without change).

Ending the Windows Audio Quality Debate | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

Scenario, you can somehow tell the audio needs more quality, not aware of Windows bullshiz, you add enhancers and slow down processing......

----

My Father got the later revision Z906, he originally had DTS Custom with his ALC 1200 and was using PCM (not compressed) output on optical to start with.
Switched to my driver, full compliment (EAPO plus the extra steps we shouldn't need to take), improved audio even with DTS Interactive.

Note: DTS Interactive and even DTS-HD HRA count as lossy, PCM is meant to be lossless.

He likes the intro with one of the Sting songs he has, he very much liked the THX bass influence. He has tinnitus, and can still pick out audio quality.

Last edited:
I am still spoiled by the Logitech THX5450 which then also visually indicates that the passthrough works 1:1.
Look at the DTS-HD:MA Source - that is amazing too.
The discussion is endless

I added [Recording.reg] to 'DTS Settings', for Stereo Mix, Microphones and any other 2 channel recording devices.

DTS-HD:MA is definitely an improvement in terms of a format, lossless. 100% agree with you.
Controlled loss is not bad, like remove what can not be heard, or similar.

I am actually not so sure that using Audacity is a good way to measure latency, as it seems to produce its own. I am able to perceive the 20ms it makes in delay with output.

Once the correction is at -20ms, I get visual instant (point of play to when heard) and perceive no latency (less than 10ms, in this case 0ms).
However visual to heard with general Windows is more like 0ms (can not perceive), using the mixer and any sound.

The same goes for my microphone, its also non perceivable, instant spoken to visual (mixer again). Microphone to speaker out sounds like 15-20ms delay.

I also found some other information here: FlexASIO/BACKENDS.md at master · dechamps/FlexASIO · GitHub

Audio > SFX > Mixer (visual point) > MFX > EFX > Hardware > Cable > Receiver > Speakers (hear point).

While I am unable to fully test without special equipment (and one that supports DTS, opposed to PCM), I can confirm the latency is mostly (to all) buffer latency.

Attachments

• 1693253294287.png
    1693253294287.png
    91.5 KB · Views: 57
  • Optical.png
    Optical.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 60
  • Equalier APO.png
    Equalier APO.png
    57.2 KB · Views: 60
  • CPU.png
    CPU.png
    4.9 MB · Views: 56
Last edited:

johnnybee

Features: DTS:X Ultra (APO4), DTS Headphones:X v2 (Sound Unbound), DTS Interactive:X (APO4).

Main directory: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/9yrokjhyh2slx/DTS_DCH_Drivers

----

To install-update the drivers, open 'Device Manager' right click and uninstall the audio device, the device should disappear.

Open 'Command Prompt' as admin, use pnputil (see here) to remove all residual drivers (extensions, other).
You can check the 'Provider', 'Class' and 'Signer' to identify any drivers that should be removed.

Double click 'Install' in the driver folder (DTS DCH folder), then restart.

https://ibb.co/fq4Fw5S | https://ibb.co/yN86MRK | https://ibb.co/YRvDsKv

Main: DTS APO standard files | Alternative: DTS APO alternative files

----

See the 'TOOLS' folder for extra steps to unlock more features, settings, via the Realtek policy editor (RTK Panel.txt).
Enable 'Stereo Mix', mute the stream, then set it to play to SPDIF to keep the encoder always on.

https://ibb.co/477T74G | https://ibb.co/MVgzT5s

----

To use the provided Sound Unbound package (which contains a license), disable Windows store auto-updates.
You will also need to uninstall any updated version, before re-installing the provided one.

https://ibb.co/kX3TFC0

----

Stereo to 5.1 upmixer available here: https://hifi.ooo/threads/equaliser-apo-stereo-surround-upmixer.58/

====

Speakers.png Optical.png

After the API registration step (optional), no policy edits (RTK Panel.txt).

----

1689103082193.png

View attachment 305679

Copy for regedit: DriverUpdateWizardWuSearchEnabled

----

Enjoy ALC Pro DTS:X Edition
hi i just setup your spidif dts and dolby digitial live patch its awesome i messed it up and had to reinstall it and came across this form.. i have a pioneer vsx 1125 hooked up to my htpc and i was wondering if this patch would allow me to use dts x or mabe i dont exactly understand what it does exactly. some more help would be great thanks

This driver pack will give you DTS for SPDIF, the provided Sound Unbound will give you DTS:X Home Theatre for HDMI (Windows 11).

Features: DTS:X Ultra (APO4), DTS Headphones:X v2 (Sound Unbound), DTS Interactive:X (APO4).

Main directory: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/9yrokjhyh2slx/DTS_DCH_Drivers

----

To install-update the drivers, open 'Device Manager' right click and uninstall the audio device, the device should disappear.

Open 'Command Prompt' as admin, use pnputil (see here) to remove all residual drivers (extensions, other).
You can check the 'Provider', 'Class' and 'Signer' to identify any drivers that should be removed.

Double click 'Install' in the driver folder (DTS DCH folder), then restart.

https://ibb.co/fq4Fw5S | https://ibb.co/yN86MRK | https://ibb.co/YRvDsKv

Main: DTS APO standard files | Alternative: DTS APO alternative files

----

See the 'TOOLS' folder for extra steps to unlock more features, settings, via the Realtek policy editor (RTK Panel.txt).
Enable 'Stereo Mix', mute the stream, then set it to play to SPDIF to keep the encoder always on.

https://ibb.co/477T74G | https://ibb.co/MVgzT5s

----

To use the provided Sound Unbound package (which contains a license), disable Windows store auto-updates.
You will also need to uninstall any updated version, before re-installing the provided one.

https://ibb.co/kX3TFC0

----

Stereo to 5.1 upmixer available here: https://hifi.ooo/threads/equaliser-apo-stereo-surround-upmixer.58/

====

Speakers.png Optical.png

After the API registration step (optional), no policy edits (RTK Panel.txt).

----

1689103082193.png

View attachment 305679

Copy for regedit: DriverUpdateWizardWuSearchEnabled

----

Enjoy ALC Pro DTS:X Edition
A better solution for disabling driver updates: GitHub - DavidXanatos/wumgr: Windows update managemetn tool for windows 10

Note you only need to use 'Win CAudio', once per Windows install, not every time you install the driver. It disables some hidden Windows APO's (see here).
The pack also uses C++ library's installed on the system, which can be manually updated via Microsoft here (x64).

Added Alternative_Startup.7z for anyone who wants to use it with this pack. Includes a guide.
Optional audio service startup ordering and delay, not a requirement.

----

If you have any questions or need help, feel free to post here or message me.

----

Attachments

• Scan -1.png
    Scan -1.png
    249.9 KB · Views: 76
  • Scan -2.png
    Scan -2.png
    226.1 KB · Views: 69
  • Scan -3.png
    Scan -3.png
    362.8 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
The extra settings and utility apps can be found in the 'Settings and Utility' folder of the main directory:
If you use 'Win CAudio', shutdown the PC for a few minutes, residual data is a nightmare.

Last edited:
Note, the receiver must support 'DTS Audio' or 'DTS Digital Surround' for DTS Interactive to output sound via SPDIF-HDMI, else the receiver will ignore it.

The Z906 (r 2010) is capable of 96/24 on SPDIF, this includes DTS Digital Surround @ 96/24 x 6.

----

Easy read DTS DCH guide updated, here.

Last edited:

Bogdanl

Hello,
I have a Z690 Gaminx X with a ALC1220-VB with Win 11 and a couple of months ago I used your driver to get 5.1 surround via optical cable and all worked fine out ouf the box.
Recently I had to do a fresh install of the OS and installed the driver but now it doesn't work anymore in 5.1.
DTS Interactive appears in Format selection and it is selected, but I get only 2 Channels now and after the 1-st restart the sound works but from the second on I have no sound and DTS Interactive dissapears.
I don't know if I remember coreclty, but on the old installation it showed something like DTS Interactive 6 channels..., now only shows DTS interactive.
Also the DTS:X ultra app is unsable, nothing can be selected or activated.
Am I doing something wrong or something changed?

Thank you very much.

Last edited:
@Bogdanl

Windows update probably installed a Realtek driver extension, which will screw up the install. Check pnputil or DriverStoreExplorer to see if additional Realtek extensions have been installed.
If this has happened, remove all downloaded drivers-other including DTS DCH, disable Windows driver automatic download, then re-install DTS DCH.

See post one for removal and Windows driver auto update disable (registry) steps, probably the second location (second image).
Below is an image of DSE, there should only be 3 (1 driver, 1 extension, 1 software component), all DTS.

Sort by device will produce a better view, if you see more, that's the reason.

Last edited:

Bogdanl

@Bogdanl

Windows update probably installed a Realtek driver extension, which will screw up the install. Check pnputil or DriverStoreExplorer to see if additional Realtek extensions have been installed.
If this has happened, remove all downloaded drivers-other including DTS DCH, disable Windows driver automatic download, then re-install DTS DCH.

See post one for removal and Windows driver auto update disable (registry) steps, probably the second location (second image).
Below is an image of DSE, there should only be 3 (1 driver, 1 extension, 1 software component), all DTS.

Sort by device will produce a better view, if you see more, that's the reason.
Hello,
Thank you for your reply.
I disabled automatic driver download and I checked pnputil each time before and after installation and only DTS drivers are installed. I even did a fresh OS install with ehternet cable removed and only installed DTS driver but still the same result, even clicking the test button next to DTS Intertactive plays sound only to FR and FL.

@Bogdanl, Do you mind using TeamViewer? I will be more able to see the issue, and then if I need to make an update.

You can use TeamViewer without installing, it has a 3rd option to run without install.

Yes please, message me, but give me 10 minutes first. Making coffee and eating breakfast.

>> Working as intended, had some odd side issue. No updates. <<

Note: I installed and setup E-APO upmixer to get 2 to 5.1, following my guide.

----

Note that the Windows test will only test left-right, not all channels (due to the stream).
To test multichannel properly, use this 5.1 video file. You can also test balance.

====

Also Windows 10 got an audio engine update, last month, I updated a few days ago.
Sounds a bit better, I turned my PC off (no power) for 10 minutes after the update.

====

Easy read version of this thread, here.

----

Attachments

• Optical Test.png
    Optical Test.png
    48.4 KB · Views: 53
  • Balance.png
    Balance.png
    40 KB · Views: 51
  • Kraven USB.png
    Kraven USB.png
    60.7 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Currently I am testing a change I made to Realtek, removing 'in place' processing and common buffer. My last bit is to reduce buffer silence noise.
Sometimes you can get a pop or other noise when audio is paused/stopped abruptly, the change minimises the noise.

Even phones and other devices will do the same (spam play-pause), but I would rather minimise it.
Improved performance, and response, but no change to buffer latency (still X ms).

====

DTS DCH driver pack re-uploaded.

Last edited:
Note there is nothing I can do about application buffers. For example, Potplayer is clean with play-pause spamming, Edge + Youtube has a high chance of a pop with play-pause spam.
I attached a FLAC file recording of me spamming play-pause with Edge + YouTube, its at a minimum (with the driver update), but still there. Good enough!

Some notes: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/AudioBuffer

Note: Web browsers will output equal to the number of channels used by the audio engine, and populate each channel the same as the input.
Fun fact, if you open Edge then drag a movie or music file into it (holding left click), then as if a new tab, it will play it.

YouTube (Edge).png
Edge - Media Player.png

2 channel upmixers will detect 6+ channels, so no upmix.

----

Attachments

• 0.1%.png
    0.1%.png
    542.6 KB · Views: 46
  • YouTube - Spam.zip
    2.2 MB · Views: 40
Last edited:
DTS DCH pack updated, DTS Settings updated, Equalizer APO upmixer updated. Post 1 of this thread and the EAPO thread, updated.

Quick update steps:

Device manager > uninstall (tick delete) > pnputil remove the extension and software component > install update > restart.

I will be sending Microsoft a message about their 'listen to' feature.

1: Selecting a specific device, example 'SPDIF', causes the audio engine to add a registry key to the render device (SPDIF), which degrades audio quality.
{24dbb0fc-9311-4b3d-9cf0-18ff155639d4},1 | This key can be deleted safely, not setting a specific device may prevent this key entry.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\MMDevices

The following occurs intermittently, as in sometimes, and occasionally in a row, on Windows-Service load with 'listen to' enabled:

1: When there is a bug (not related to other bugs) AudioDG constantly uses 0.3-0.4%, where muting or disabling 'Stereo Mix', reduces this to 0.0% CPU. *
2: Muting 'Stereo Mix' in the mixer setting, can cause a repeated cut out, sometimes stream switch to PCM even with DTS Interactive. **
3: With Windows start-up sound enabled, the audio can cut out and produce noise due to the cut out.

* Stereo Mix can be enabled after, and it will stay at 0.0% CPU, also muting the render device and unmuting does the same, back to 0.0%.
** Logitech Z906 will display 'decode', and constantly with DTS Interactive, PCM detection should never occur (PCM mode).

Stereo Mix is set to 0% volume and muted (in its own properties page), it also has no input with analogue unplugged-disabled.

Capture device: Stereo Mix | Render device: SPDIF.

----

The driver and apo's in use does not seem to matter, it also does not appear to be device related but instead the bridge (loopback) between (listen to).
With one render device and two capture, AudioDG uses about 8-9mb, with one listen to enabled, this goes up to 16mb+.

----

I have attached a bypass for offload, which may help prevent the stream PCM issue, although I cannot say for sure. Offload is unused by default.
Its possible the bug ends up in offload even when unused, disabled. This could cause the stream to switch from DTS to PCM.

Audio Engine.png

====

In the 'Settings and Utility' folder you will find 'Win CAudio', this will disable some hidden Microsoft APOs which also degrade audio.
Initially the change may upset the peace with Windows, I suggest you turn off the PC for 10 minutes after.

Windows audio engine quality score: 5/10 (lossy), 8-10/10 modified (fixed).

====

Side entry:

Here is Paragon Backup and Recovery, WinPE. Flash it to a USB using Rufus (link here), with an NVMe 20GB backup and restores take about 30-40 seconds.
I have a custom partition layout over two drives, one NVMe and one sata SSD. File storage and pagefile are separate from Windows.

It also has command prompt, so you can 'reg load' - 'regedit' - 'reg unload', you can also use regedit as a basic file explorer (file > export).

Partitions.png

I do: del /a f:\pagefile.sys & rd /s /q c:\ | then restore (f:\Backup\).

====

Attachments

• S1220A Optical.png
    S1220A Optical.png
    346.1 KB · Views: 58
  • Clean Start.png
    Clean Start.png
    5.3 MB · Views: 48
  • Bypass Offload.zip
    562 bytes · Views: 58
Last edited:
System won't let me do the Win CAudio regedit change. Says I have not the rights or that some open processes prevent it.

Did you run ExecTI to open Regedit, then import? You wont have permission otherwise. Sorry for the extra steps, it would be nice to install and go like the driver does.
Win CAudio, you do only once per Windows install, although you can check after updates. The rest is generated by the audio engine.

What Windows does and how its programmed is out of my hands. That includes Equalizer APO.

Microsoft also needs to update their SPDIF support, and good luck getting more than 8 channels of [PCM Direct] with Windows (even with HDMI).
I have to add modern formats to SPDIF manually, admittedly the receiver needs to support them, regardless.

Attachments

• SPDIF - Extra Formats.png
    SPDIF - Extra Formats.png
    35.9 KB · Views: 47
  • TOSLink.png
    TOSLink.png
    133.5 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Microsoft also needs to update their SPDIF support, and good luck getting more than 8 channels of [PCM Direct] with Windows (even with HDMI).
I have to add modern formats to SPDIF manually, admittedly the receiver needs to support them, regardless.

I do not know or even heard of a way to get windows to recognize more than 8 channels. I don't see it changing either sadly, despite 9.1 & 11.1 being old as dirt now Windows have never seen a reason to implement height or wide speaker configs. They have less incentive now since they can just lean on Atmos or DTSX platforms which are not channel based.

The continued use, and simultaneous neglect of supporting of SPDIF in PC applications is mind boggling really. It's there, they put it there, yet they leave it as it has always been.

Did you run ExecTI to open Regedit, then import? You wont have permission otherwise. Sorry for the extra steps, it would be nice to install and go like the driver does.
Win CAudio, you do only once per Windows install, although you can check after updates. The rest is generated by the audio engine.

What Windows does and how its programmed is out of my hands. That includes Equalizer APO.

Yes I used the provided ExecTl
And I found the error, or at least what prevented the installation. When I opened ExecTl, regedit was already filled in. But that was not enough. It always failed. I had to put the additionally .exe in, so that it reads regedit.exe
Then it worked!

Edit: I also manually started it a admin.

Edit 2: @Ferather Maybe you should include the Win CAudio step into the page 1 main post?

Last edited: