• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Core Ultra Arrow Lake Preview

Decent Advertising. Especially when you know the Formula P = U * I
(Which equals to Watt = Voltage multiplied with Ampere)

80 Watt down from 530 Watt, I estimate something like 15 Percent without calculator.

Just Insane. And 15 % is nothing worth mentioning when we come from 530Watts. That slide instantly moves me away. Someone has to cool that and someone has to pay for the power drawn. Electricity is not cheap in Europe.

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
Can you even get a good canned bench for SM2 and CS2? I mean... its all about assets on screen and in game logic. And isn't CS2 still a big pile of doodoo?
City Skylines 2 is not in anyway doodoo (as you call it) It actually reminds me of Total War but much different. The traditional Total War engine would be 1 CPU core. Today City Skylines pegs my CPU at up to 40% usage. That increases as the size of your city increases and then you have 1 million individual humans doing things like riding the bus or getting on a train plus traffic jams everywhere. Service vehicles and truck traffic depend on how many factories and warehouses. Don't forget about Airports and their thousands of passengers and harbours. That is why CPU performance matters in this Game. All of what I just described is the Game but you called that Assets on Screen and Game logic but if your CPU is doodoo it will not run well at all. That Game even responds to storage used.

As far as Space Marine 2 goes it is a sign of what is to come. With all the cores available on modern desktops Space Marine 2 will use every Core you have. Once on Mission there are no load screens to speak of. but as you walk around the elevator the CPU is using other cores to get the level ready. Once again the CPU usage is in the 40%+ range.

Then I play at 4K native, where the CPU has to be fast enough to keep up with the GPU when Gaming and asking for all of those assets to build. My 7900X3D feeds my 7900XT 3-5 Gb/s faster than my 5800X3D at 4k. That makes all Games playable with smooth frames even City Skylines 2.

Of course turning the GPU assets to Ultra in Game will not give you the separation that running it at high as you have transitioned the GPU to dominate the pipeline. Every review admits that. I don't need Ultra as I discovered on these LED panels with high nits that turning the contrast and saturation up has a marked effect on enjoyment. Once you turn the Brightness down the colours on your screen will sing.

Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PRO (WiFi 6)
Cooling Noctua NH-C14S (two fans)
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) Reference Vega 64
Storage Intel 665p 1TB, WD Black SN850X 2TB, Crucial MX300 1TB SATA, Samsung 830 256 GB SATA
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG27, and Samsung S23A700
Case Fractal Design R5
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME TITANIUM 850W
Mouse Logitech
VR HMD Oculus Rift
Software Windows 11 Pro, and Ubuntu 20.04
Yeah but the dive makes me unreasonably happy, and as do those moments when you hit that 200FPS+ average in a game at 4k and it's awesome.

The point is, CPU is holding back GPU much more than during the 3xxx series, where you had the 5800x and 10900K then the 12 series and 5800x3d. By contrast 2024 CPUS are kind of meh. GPUs have been gaining 40%+ per generation while with the exception of x3d on CPU we're sitting at +15-20% last gen, and now +5% or in Intel's case -1%.

When the 5 series comes out, the gap between high end GPU and high end CPU is going to be even bigger, no wonder nvidia is going to sandbag the 5080.
It's a simple consequence of the difficulty of parallelizing the game code that runs on CPUs versus the ease of having embarrassingly parallel graphical workloads for the GPU. Moving the bottleneck back to the GPU is easy; crank up ray traced effects and even the 4090 will drop to its knees.

1728591038711.png

Kinda disappointing considering intel has a node advantage with this.

Kinda disappointing, dude? Kinda??? What?!? Just like Milton is kinda windy? :D

Dude. Arrow Lake is the most embarrassing product reveal ever. It is devastating for Intel.

They are making ARL on the currently most advanced processing node at the world's leading foundry.

Still, ARL can not even beat their own 10nm CPU that was made on a Neanderthal stone age process. LOL. How pathetic is that?

Let alone that ARL would come even close to beating AMD Zen 4 X3D CPUs. Those AMD CPUs are a full node behind and still kick Arrow Lake to the curb.

Intel rekt. For real this time. This is a declaration of total bankruptcy.

Until today, you could reasonably assume that Intel was only being held back by their ancient manufacturing processes. A lot of people assumed that Intel would be (at least) on par with AMD if given the same node.

Now we know that the problems at Intel lie MUCH deeper. They have an actual node ADVANTAGE with ARL now and still can't even come close to beating AMD's two year old CPUs. Wow. What a complete epic failure of the most disastrous proportions.

It's not just IFS that sucks. Intel sucks as a whole. They can't keep up with TSMC. They can't keep up with AMD, ARM, Apple, Qualcomm, nVidia, anyone. Intel's designs and architectures are garbage. Arrow Lake is the final and definitive proof of that. Most advanced node on the planet and can not compete with two year old competitor architectures.

This is completely abysmal and I don't even know what to say... AMD 9000 X3D can't come soon enough. Please hurry up, AMD, and put an end to Intel's misery.

System Name His & Hers
Processor R7 5800X/ R7 7950X3D Stock
Motherboard X670E Aorus Pro X/ROG Crosshair VIII Hero
Cooling Corsair h150 elite/ Corsair h115i Platinum
Memory Trident Z5 Neo 6000/ 32 GB 3200 CL14 @3800 CL16 Team T Force Nighthawk
Video Card(s) Evga FTW 3 Ultra 3080ti/ Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090
Storage lots of SSD.
Display(s) A whole bunch OLED, VA, IPS.....
Case 011 Dynamic XL/ Phanteks Evolv X
Audio Device(s) Arctis Pro + gaming Dac/ Corsair sp 2500/ Logitech G560/Samsung Q990B
Power Supply Seasonic Ultra Prime Titanium 1000w/850w
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed/ Logitech G Pro Hero.
Keyboard Logitech - G915 LIGHTSPEED / Logitech G Pro
Kinda disappointing, dude? Kinda??? What?!? Just like Milton is kinda windy? :D

Dude. Arrow Lake is the most embarrassing product reveal ever. It is devastating for Intel.

They are making ARL on the currently most advanced processing node at the world's leading foundry.

Still, ARL can not even beat their own 10nm CPU that was made on a Neanderthal stone age process. LOL. How pathetic is that?

Let alone that ARL would come even close to beating AMD Zen 4 X3D CPUs. Those AMD CPUs are a full node behind and still kick Arrow Lake to the curb.

Intel rekt. For real this time. This is a declaration of total bankruptcy.

Until today, you could reasonably assume that Intel was only being held back by their ancient manufacturing processes. A lot of people assumed that Intel would be (at least) on par with AMD if given the same node.

Now we know that the problems at Intel lie MUCH deeper. They have an actual node ADVANTAGE with ARL now and still can't even come close to beating AMD's two year old CPUs. Wow. What a complete epic failure of the most disastrous proportions.

It's not just IFS that sucks. Intel sucks as a whole. They can't keep up with TSMC. They can't keep up with AMD, ARM, Apple, Qualcomm, nVidia, anyone. Intel's designs and architectures are garbage. Arrow Lake is the final and definitive proof of that. Most advanced node on the planet and can not compete with two year old competitor architectures.

This is completely abysmal and I don't even know what to say... AMD 9000 X3D can't come soon enough. Please hurry up, AMD, and put an end to Intel's misery.

It's just silicon, hard to be more than kinda disappointed my expectations after meteor lake weren't very high to begin with and were even lower after Zen5% came out.

This is likely decent enough for those that hate amd products and only care about general performance.

This year has sucked from all hardware makers Intel is just late to join the club.... Can 9000X3d save this generation for gamers it remains to be seen but I'm not holding my breath for more than 3-8% over 7000X3D....

System Name "Icy Resurrection"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 APEX ENCORE
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S upgraded with 2x NF-F12 iPPC-3000 fans and Honeywell PTM7950 TIM
Memory 32 GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 7600 MT/s 36-44-44-52-96 1.4V
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 500 GB WD Black SN750 SE NVMe SSD + 4 TB WD Red Plus WD40EFPX HDD
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Pichau Mancer CV500 White Edition
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Microsoft Classic Intellimouse
Keyboard Generic PS/2
Software Windows 11 IoT Enterprise LTSC 24H2
Benchmark Scores I pulled a Qiqi~
Hi W1zz or anyone in the know :) . I read most of the slides but it's just marketing gibberish. Does it finally have AVX-512 support without buts or ifs?

System Name Main PC
Processor I5 12400F
Motherboard MAG B660M MORTAR WIFI
Cooling Noctua NH-U12S
Memory Corsair Vengenance LPX 2x8 GB DDR4 3000 MHZ C16
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2060 KO
Storage WD SN550 500GB M.2-2280 (Main drive)/ Crucial MX500 500 GB 2.5" SSD/ SanDisk Ultra 2 TB 2.5" SSD
Display(s) Main: AOC C24G1 24.0" 1920 x 1080 144 Hz 1ms, 2nd: AOC 24B2XH 23.8" 1920 x 1080 75 Hz
Case Fractal Design Pop Air
Audio Device(s) Razer Kraken 7.1
Power Supply Be quiet System Power 9 500 CM 500 W 80+ Bronze Semi-modular
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Corsair strafe (Cherry MX Silent)
Software Windows 10
AMD had +2 percent game performance and Intel has -5. Really. Bad year. Nobody is being a fanboy except you here.
Please enlighten me about how I am being a fanboy, all I did was point out how the majority of the disappointment for Zen 5 was due to misleading marketing overhype, anyone who is reasonable would see that Zen 5 is alright but got its reputation spoiled due to AMD marketing blundering. I just have grown tired and exhausted of the constant forum in fighting due to AMD vs Intel BS.

I already wrote Arrow lake does not look special at all and at best is going to be mediocre, I am going to wait for reviews anyways because I don't trust 1st party claims.

Me quit it? Sorry I pointed out the massive double standards people generally have on TPU when it comes to Intel. I don’t care to promote or fall on the sword for any company. The only “cringe” thing is the obvious stark difference between general trending comments between the two releases.
We must have completely different perspectives then on TPU, because for me it has been the opposite with seeing more double standards in favour of AMD over the years of reading reviews here, people will happily give them the benefit of the doubt no matter what and be lenient, but will be very quick to demonise Intel (not that they are free of criticism though, the way they handled the degradation issues was scumbag behaviour.) I talked about this in a different thread so I won't be repeating it here.

I do not know what you are seeing but all I see with this is that Arrow Lake is going to be essentially just like Zen 5 in terms of improvement and that is the opinion I saw from other posters as well.
The difference is that AMD’s marketing overhyped Zen 5's gaming performance, which set people up for disappointment during launch reviews when the gains were minimal. Intel hasn’t made bold performance gains claims for Arrow Lake, hell they even showed it being significantly slower in 3 titles, so expectations are more grounded, which is why the reactions aren’t as harsh.

System Name His & Hers
Processor R7 5800X/ R7 7950X3D Stock
Motherboard X670E Aorus Pro X/ROG Crosshair VIII Hero
Cooling Corsair h150 elite/ Corsair h115i Platinum
Memory Trident Z5 Neo 6000/ 32 GB 3200 CL14 @3800 CL16 Team T Force Nighthawk
Video Card(s) Evga FTW 3 Ultra 3080ti/ Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090
Storage lots of SSD.
Display(s) A whole bunch OLED, VA, IPS.....
Case 011 Dynamic XL/ Phanteks Evolv X
Audio Device(s) Arctis Pro + gaming Dac/ Corsair sp 2500/ Logitech G560/Samsung Q990B
Power Supply Seasonic Ultra Prime Titanium 1000w/850w
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed/ Logitech G Pro Hero.
Keyboard Logitech - G915 LIGHTSPEED / Logitech G Pro
Hi W1zz or anyone in the know :) . I read most of the slides but it's just marketing gibberish. Does it finally have AVX-512 support without buts or ifs?

The ES samples lacked AVX512 afaik and it isn't listed on their website.

Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PRO (WiFi 6)
Cooling Noctua NH-C14S (two fans)
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) Reference Vega 64
Storage Intel 665p 1TB, WD Black SN850X 2TB, Crucial MX300 1TB SATA, Samsung 830 256 GB SATA
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG27, and Samsung S23A700
Case Fractal Design R5
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME TITANIUM 850W
Mouse Logitech
VR HMD Oculus Rift
Software Windows 11 Pro, and Ubuntu 20.04

The ES samples lacked AVX512 afaik and it isn't listed on their website.

Yep.

1728593876789.png

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
Please enlighten me about how I am being a fanboy, all I did was point out how the majority of the disappointment for Zen 5 was due to misleading marketing overhype, anyone who is reasonable would see that Zen 5 is alright but got its reputation spoiled due to AMD marketing blundering. I just have grown tired and exhausted of the constant forum in fighting due to AMD vs Intel BS.

I already wrote Arrow lake does not look special at all and at best is going to be mediocre, I am going to wait for reviews anyways because I don't trust 1st party claims.

We must have completely different perspectives then on TPU, because for me it has been the opposite with seeing more double standards in favour of AMD over the years of reading reviews here, people will happily give them the benefit of the doubt no matter what and be lenient, but will be very quick to demonise Intel (not that they are free of criticism though, the way they handled the degradation issues was scumbag behaviour.) I talked about this in a different thread so I won't be repeating it here.

I do not know what you are seeing but all I see with this is that Arrow Lake is going to be essentially just like Zen 5 in terms of improvement and that is the opinion I saw from other posters as well.
The difference is that AMD’s marketing overhyped Zen 5's gaming performance, which set people up for disappointment during launch reviews when the gains were minimal. Intel hasn’t made bold performance gains claims for Arrow Lake, hell they even showed it being significantly slower in 3 titles, so expectations are more grounded, which is why the reactions aren’t as harsh.
That is because AMD gave you at least 15% clock or IPC improvement with AM4. That fact allowed reviewers to see the improvements in the CPUs they sampled and say as much. The best example of what I am talking about was the 3300X. You could not find that chip for like 6 months. AMD have been so good by generation that that matters now. Then they have expanded what a CPU is with 4 different platforms for AM5.

In the meantime Intel (not bad chips) was using Raw power to try to keep up. Now we have a chip with no HT when Intel are the company that made HT what it became. It is not hard to wonder what Intel are doing. Better give it back to the engineers look at what happened to Boeing when it went Corporate. These chips are not cheap either. There is literally a $20 difference in the chips without an IGPU. That means either the KF parts are too expensive or the K parts are too expensive.