• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 Super Founders Edition

System Name Gungnir
Processor Ryzen 5 7600X
Motherboard ASUS TUF B650M-PLUS WIFI
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assasin 120 SE Black
Memory 2x16GB DDR5 CL36 5600MHz
Video Card(s) XFX RX 6800XT Merc 319
Storage 1TB WD SN770 | 2TB WD Blue SATA III SSD
Display(s) 1440p 165Hz VA
Case Lian Li Lancool 215
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO 80Ohm
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 750W 80 Plus Gold
Mouse Logitech G Pro Wireless
Keyboard Keychron V6
VR HMD The bane of my existence (Oculus Quest 2)
7800XT should be 399 then, the features are simply lacking way too much. People are not paying Nvidia prices for AMD hardware.

If AMD intends to regrab marketshare, then they need to price their cards agressively. Or they will loose even more.

Also, they need to improve their features to be comparable to Nvidias. DLSS/DLAA beats FSR in every game. DLSS FG beats AFMF easily. Ray Tracing and Path Tracing runs way better on Nvidia. Reflex is better than Anti Lag+ that got people banned on Steam. Shadowplay has better quality, less perf hit and better platform comp (Twitch etc), than ReLive.

Also AMD often lacks launch drivers for new games, and good optimizing in general when you leave the most popular games. Early access games often runs alot worse on AMD GPUs.

And all this, is the reason why AMD can't demand Nvidia prices for their GPUs. AMD mainly focus on CPUs and APUs, not GPUs. Nvidia does, and it shows.
I would argue there shouldn't be an "nvidia price" the same way we complain there should be no "apple tax".

Things like DLSS are used in order to inflate the value of a product and to use said software to make claims that the product does what it perhaps should do, but using, in this case, dlss, they no longer sell you a competent product, they now sell you a "passable when compared to the other releases" product with software to "make up" for it. Better driver support and productivity performance is an actual metric, DLSS is a crutch, DLSS FG is the holy grail of crutches, it is not better than native rendering, nor is it comparable.
So selling you something inferior as a replacement for what we used to get, it's mental.

(before I get called an amd fanboy or shill, I had a 2070 with which I used DLSS up to 3.0 and about, I didn't like upscaling then, and now with an AMD gpu, I still don't like upscaling, AFMF or whatever crutch the other company crafts for itself. It's also wild that I even have to give this disclaimer)

Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar b650m wifi
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengeance 30CL6000
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Lexar NM790 4TB + Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial BX100 250GB
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Lian Li A3 mATX White
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W11 IoT Enterprise LTSC
It's colored differently? Maybe I should use a different color, i.e. not greenish
I vote for rainbow puke

But no I don't think it'll help, the next step is just people asking why its colored differently :D Its the logic of this generation. You don't read proper, you go out in the comments to ask what's already written.
Perhaps the only way to please skimmers here is to let only the real MSRP bar stand out with a bright green and grey out the rest, perhaps give the alternative pricing a very muted tint of green/gray.

RTFR applies here, simple as. (Read the Fantastic Review :toast: )

Processor 7800X3D
Storage Lexar NM790 4TB + Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial BX100 250GB
Mouse XTRFY M42
That's a good point, I will add some more expensive options, too.
I was going to suggest that, because the less expensive ones are far less likely to occur these days

System Name The Workhorse
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus B550 Pro
Cooling CPU - Noctua NH-D15S Case - 3 Noctua NF-A14 PWM at the bottom, 2 Fractal Design 180mm at the front
Memory GSkill Trident Z 3200CL14
Video Card(s) NVidia GTX 1070 MSI QuickSilver
Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) FiiO E-10K DAC/Amp, Samson Meteorite USB Microphone
Power Supply Corsair RMx850 (2018)
Mouse Razer Viper (Original)
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid TKL keyboard (Cherry MX Black)
Software Windows 11 Pro (23H2)
Why? You could run this card with a 500W 10 years old PSu with adaptors. The adaptors for older PSUs are supplied with the cards.
But the adapter will catch on fire, burn my house down and kill my dog, don’t you know. It will melt through the case, the floor, steel beams under the floor and turn the ground into radioactive lava. The Pripyat Reactor 4 has nothing on the NV adapter.
Have I missed anything else?
All of the above was a joke, by the way, if someone missed it.

Processor 7800X3D
Mouse XTRFY M42
But the adapter will catch on fire, burn my house down and kill my dog, don’t you know. It will melt through the case, the floor, steel beams under the floor and turn the ground into radioactive lava. The Pripyat Reactor 4 has nothing on the NV adapter.
All if the above was a joke, by the way, if someone missed it.
I'm still trying to find my Nokia 3310 in the crater it left from dropping it on the floor mate, I'm not ready for faulty cables in my life yet.

System Name Gungnir
Processor Ryzen 5 7600X
Case Lian Li Lancool 215
Keyboard Keychron V6
I'm still trying to find my Nokia 3310 in the crater it left from dropping it on the floor mate, I'm not ready for faulty cables in my life yet.
You're finding your 3310, I am still looking through the rubble left of the explosion caused by the note 7, maybe I'll be able to find some remnants of what used to be a phone, oh look, I found the headphone jack.

las

System Name Meh
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI X670E Tomahawk
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit
Memory 32GB G.Skill @ 6000/CL30
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX 4090 Phantom / Undervolt + OC
Storage Samsung 990 Pro 2TB + WD SN850X 1TB + 64TB NAS/Server
Display(s) 27" 1440p IPS @ 360 Hz + 32" 4K/UHD QD-OLED @ 240 Hz + 77" 4K/UHD QD-OLED @ 144 Hz VRR
Case Fractal Design North XL
Audio Device(s) FiiO DAC
Power Supply Corsair RM1000x / Native 12VHPWR
Mouse Logitech G Pro Wireless Superlight + Razer Deathadder V3 Pro
Keyboard Corsair K60 Pro / MX Low Profile Speed
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
I would argue there shouldn't be an "nvidia price" the same way we complain there should be no "apple tax".

Things like DLSS are used in order to inflate the value of a product and to use said software to make claims that the product does what it perhaps should do, but using, in this case, dlss, they no longer sell you a competent product, they now sell you a "passable when compared to the other releases" product with software to "make up" for it. Better driver support and productivity performance is an actual metric, DLSS is a crutch, DLSS FG is the holy grail of crutches, it is not better than native rendering, nor is it comparable.
So selling you something inferior as a replacement for what we used to get, it's mental.

(before I get called an amd fanboy or shill, I had a 2070 with which I used DLSS up to 3.0 and about, I didn't like upscaling then, and now with an AMD gpu, I still don't like upscaling, AFMF or whatever crutch the other company crafts for itself. It's also wild that I even have to give this disclaimer)

Why? It is like this in all markets. The leading company dictates prices. AMD has worse options and lacks marketshare for a reason.

Upscaling matters, many new games don't even come with AA now. They use upscalers to do AA. It's built in.

Even Starfield which was AMD sponsored, used FSR as default AA method.

DLAA will improve big time on native every single time. Native res gaming don't really matter in new games. Upscaling is used and it will beat native.

DLSS Quality will also boost image quality in most cases. While boosting fps by 50-75% on top -> https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/outriders-dlss-performance

If you think upscaling is all about degrading image quality and improving performance only, you don't what what upscaling is. Upscaling will replace AA entirely going forward. Stuff like MSAA, TAA, will die out. Pointless. AMD will be forced to improve FSR if they want to compete. TPU has tons of DLSS/DLAA vs FSR testing and Nvidia wins every time.

Even Intel XeSS is better than FSR in many games at this point -> https://www.pcgamer.com/cyberpunk-2077-fsr-vs-xess/

This is true in many games, but DLSS/DLAA reigns supreme and RTX owners don't need to think twice, they just need to apply DLSS to get great AA, improve visuals slightly and boost performance, or just use DLAA for maximum fidelity which will destroy "native" in terms of IQ at a very minor performance penalty, 5% at most - Much less than most AA earlier, while beating them easily in terms of visuals.

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Razer Pro Type Ultra
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
All of the above was a joke, by the way, if someone missed it.
The 12VHPWR connector did 9/11.

System Name Gungnir
Processor Ryzen 5 7600X
Case Lian Li Lancool 215
Keyboard Keychron V6
Why? It is like this in all markets. The leading company dictates prices. AMD has worse options and lacks marketshare for a reason.

Upscaling matters, many new games don't even come with AA now. They use upscalers to do AA. It's built in.

DLAA will improve big time on native every single time. Native res gaming don't really matter in new games. Upscaling is used and it will beat native.

DLSS Quality will also boost image quality in most cases. While boosting fps by 50-75% on top -> https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/outriders-dlss-performance

If you think upscaling is all about degrading image quality and improving performance only, you don't what what upscaling is. Upscaling will replace AA entirely going forward. Stuff like MSAA, TAA, will die out. Pointless. AMD will be forced to improve FSR if they want to compete. TPU has tons of DLSS/DLAA vs FSR testing and Nvidia wins every time.

Even Intel XeSS is better than FSR in many games at this point -> https://www.pcgamer.com/cyberpunk-2077-fsr-vs-xess/

This is true in many games, but DLSS/DLAA reigns supreme and RTX owners don't need to think twice, they just need to apply DLSS to get great AA, improve visuals slightly and boost performance, or just use DLAA for maximum fidelity which will destroy "native" in terms of IQ at a very minor performance penalty, 5% at most - Much less than most AA earlier, while beating them easily in terms of visuals.
It really depends on what one means improved though, one may consider the blurriness as a decrease in image quality (I know I do), sharpness matters a lot to me, the same way a phone cannot beat a proper camera when taking images, maybe it will get close through post processing, but it cannot match the fine grain detail that a camera can capture. I find it to be similar here, I will concede that FSR or DLSS may be an improvement against TAA, that's because TAA is awful, but even with FSRAA or DLAA, I often find using SMAA to be better because of the lack of any temporal instability (SMAA also performs better to boot), as all upscalers rely on temporal information to function, they will break up in motion, they will ghost, and they will look slightly off.
And when a lower internal resolution is introduced then that only adds artifacts, due to the internal resolution being lower than the actual lower, meaning that things such as SSR or AO may be rendered at a lower resolution than actual, leading to artifacting that would not happen at a native resolution, even with TAA, we can agree that this impacts image quality, no?
I say it mostly degrades quality, but that is because I have yet to see it beat native rendering that is not using a faulty AA method (It looks better than native in Metro Exodus enhanced, for instance, but that game uses a shoddy TAA method)

las

System Name Meh
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI X670E Tomahawk
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit
Memory 32GB G.Skill @ 6000/CL30
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX 4090 Phantom / Undervolt + OC
Storage Samsung 990 Pro 2TB + WD SN850X 1TB + 64TB NAS/Server
Display(s) 27" 1440p IPS @ 360 Hz + 32" 4K/UHD QD-OLED @ 240 Hz + 77" 4K/UHD QD-OLED @ 144 Hz VRR
Case Fractal Design North XL
Audio Device(s) FiiO DAC
Power Supply Corsair RM1000x / Native 12VHPWR
Mouse Logitech G Pro Wireless Superlight + Razer Deathadder V3 Pro
Keyboard Corsair K60 Pro / MX Low Profile Speed
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
It really depends on what one means improved though, one may consider the blurriness as a decrease in image quality (I know I do), sharpness matters a lot to me, the same way a phone cannot beat a proper camera when taking images, maybe it will get close through post processing, but it cannot match the fine grain detail that a camera can capture. I find it to be similar here, I will concede that FSR or DLSS may be an improvement against TAA, that's because TAA is awful, but even with FSRAA or DLAA, I often find using SMAA to be better because of the lack of any temporal instability (SMAA also performs better to boot), as all upscalers rely on temporal information to function, they will break up in motion, they will ghost, and they will look slightly off.
And when a lower internal resolution is introduced then that only adds artifacts, due to the internal resolution being lower than the actual lower, meaning that things such as SSR or AO may be rendered at a lower resolution than actual, leading to artifacting that would not happen at a native resolution, even with TAA, we can agree that this impacts image quality, no?
I say it mostly degrades quality, but that is because I have yet to see it beat native rendering that is not using a faulty AA method (It looks better than native in Metro Exodus enhanced, for instance, but that game uses a shoddy TAA method)
We are not talking DLSS 1 here. DLSS 2.x and 3.x + DLAA is where the magic happends.

DLAA improves on native in every aspect. It is much sharper than native. You clearly have no experience with it.
Native res gaming is dying fast, at least for RTX users. AMD GPU users keep praising native because they don't know any better.

I use DLAA in pretty much all new games and its much better looking than native. Even DLSS Quality beats native in most aspects and delivers +50-75% more frames with built in AA and sharpening.

TPU has plenty of DLSS/DLAA vs FSR comparisons in new games, and Nvidia wins every time. So, you don't really know what you are missing till you have the ability to use the best upscalers.

FSR clearly have more shimmering and artifacts and I tried 7900XTX for weeks not too long ago. Motion is also generally worse.
This is the same issue AFMF has, vs DLSS FG. Can look decent while standing still, but in motion, you see the difference clearly.

The 12VHPWR connector did 9/11.
You have no clue. Made by PCI-SIG and part of ATX 3.x spec. I have been using 12VHPWR since day one for my 4090 and it clicked right in and worked flawlessly since day one. Never going back to 2-3-4x 8pin and that cable mess.

AMD will use 12VHPWR/12V-2x6 next gen too for sure. 12V-2x6 is backwards comp with 12VHPWR.

Having no experience with new features and standards causes much hate I see :laugh:

Last edited:
System Name DLSS / YOLO-PC
Processor i5-12400F / 10600KF
Motherboard Gigabyte B760M DS3H / Z490 Vision D
Cooling Laminar RM1 / Gammaxx 400
Memory 32 GB DDR4-3200 / 16 GB DDR4-3333
Video Card(s) RX 6700 XT / R9 380 2 GB
Storage A couple SSDs, m.2 NVMe included / 240 GB CX1 + 1 TB WD HDD
Display(s) Compit HA2704 / Viewsonic VX3276-MHD-2
Case Matrexx 55 / Junkyard special
Audio Device(s) Want loud, use headphones. Want quiet, use satellites.
Power Supply Thermaltake 1000 W / Corsair CX650M / DQ550ST [backup]
Mouse Don't disturb, cheese eating in progress...
Keyboard Makes some noise. Probably onto something.
VR HMD I live in real reality and don't need a virtual one.
Software Windows 10 and 11
This is the same issue AFMF has
AFMF doesn't have access to motion vectors and some other stuff so it's not entirely valid to compare AFMF to DLSS FG. Like, it's obvious the latter will win even if coded worse (which is also untrue).

Anyhow, @theouto, we're having a dance of tango where only nVidia is making turns, not AMD. This way this dance looks incredibly cursed and as a result, we don't have GPUs for good prices. Why selling for $400 if you will outsell your quote-unquote "competition" hard even if you slam a 600 dollar tag?

Want more access to next-gen hardware, make AMD make it. Team Green aren't in any hurry whatsoever; what they did (4070 Super for $600 instead of more expected $660ish) is already putting all sorts of nails into the AMD sales coffin.

System Name Gungnir
Processor Ryzen 5 7600X
Case Lian Li Lancool 215
Keyboard Keychron V6
AFMF doesn't have access to motion vectors and some other stuff so it's not entirely valid to compare AFMF to DLSS FG. Like, it's obvious the latter will win even if coded worse (which is also untrue).

Anyhow, @theouto, we're having a dance of tango where only nVidia is making turns, not AMD. This way this dance looks incredibly cursed and as a result, we don't have GPUs for good prices. Why selling for $400 if you will outsell your quote-unquote "competition" hard even if you slam a 600 dollar tag?

Want more access to next-gen hardware, make AMD make it. Team Green aren't in any hurry whatsoever; what they did (4070 Super for $600 instead of more expected $660ish) is already putting all sorts of nails into the AMD sales coffin.
Oh I definitely agree that AMD needs to step up in their offerings, don't get me wrong, the market is in the state that it is because AMD, the only company that can pressure nvidia, has gotten complacent.
And can you blame them? They have both microsoft and sony using RDNA2 gpus, they are in no hurry to properly compete. Add to that their issues due to chiplets on gpus being pushed out before they were ready for primetime, and we get RDNA3, a generation that was clearly only pushed so that they could get any form of ROI possible.
AMD needs to do better, that means offer more competitive pricing for their gpus, since they have solid hardware, that, if sold for a better price, could make nvidia shake a bit, but they are so content in their second place spot, that, for now, it seems unlikely. Maybe once chiplets on gpus mature we might see the same amd that we see on the cpu market, the one that is so eager to compete with intel.
We are not talking DLSS 1 here. DLSS 2.x and 3.x + DLAA is where the magic happends.

DLAA improves on native in every aspect. It is much sharper than native. You clearly have no experience with it.
Native res gaming is dying fast, at least for RTX users. AMD GPU users keep praising native because they don't know any better.
No, like I said in that one original post, I have extensively used dlss while using an nvidia gpu, and I tried it more prominently on CoD MWII, hell it wasn't even at 1080p, it was at 1440p.
While playing I was always somewhat annoyed with the way the image looked (DLSS Balanced), stepping up to DLSSQ didn't help much either.
My disliking of upscalers of all sorts comes from the image being produced simply not being good for my tastes, shocking, I know. I prefer how much better an image using SMAA looks, but it's all tastes. Maybe the DLSS implementation in MWII was borked, who knows, I think it was 2.4.3? Also tried DLAA in MWII, I was not that impressed, why? The temporal artifacts that come with what is, at the end of the day, just a very advanced TAA.
You also literally cannot get sharper than native, anti aliasing by definition smooths out edges, sharper than TAA? Sure, sharper than no AA or SMAA? I doubt it

Last edited:
System Name HTPC whhaaaat?
Processor 2600k @ 4500mhz
Motherboard Asus Maximus IV gene-z gen3
Cooling Noctua NH-C14
Memory Gskill Ripjaw 2x4gb
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 FTW @ 2037/11016
Storage 2x512GB MX100/1x Agility 3 128gb ssds, Seagate 3TB HDD
Display(s) Vizio P 65'' 4k tv
Case Lian Li pc-c50b
Audio Device(s) Denon 3311
Power Supply Corsair 620HX
I haven't seen anyone mention this explicitly, apologies if I missed it. Let me get this straight:

So we have a 4070 Super 12GB and a 7800 XT 16GB. Yes, please, click the links. Bigger number worser? Oh...Stock. What's that? Oh, the thing an nVIDIA overclock is close to, got it.

It's important to note the avg default clock of most 7800xt are 2425mhz (likely used on chart, consistent with other reviewers' findings) and the Sapphire Nitro+ is 2540mhz, so gains from oc actually greater.

Actual delta from overclocking both is ~12%+ AMD. This is going off the stock 7800xt GT1 score of 58.4 to the above overclock of 69.5. Obv all cards vary slightly, but really not much at same power.

Unless my maths fail me, that would mean the 7800xt would need to be ~89% or slower for 4070 Super for nVIDIA to capture the win in avg/min perf. Stock 7800xt is ~94%. Both cards limited by voltage/PL.

I'm going to assume if you're looking at this you generally want fourteen hundred and forty natively-rendered progressively scanned lines delivered at a generally acceeptable rate for the foreseeable future.

You may, but likely don't care that CS2 can run 32% faster on nvidia at stock, because a pocket calculator can run that game well, which absolutely skews the shown avg results. (Get rid of that game, please).

Knowing SOME people have passionate feelings about upscaling/power consumption/some RT implementations and respecting that, you have two options if you aren't that guy and/or are budget-conscious.

Option 1:

a. Buy a 4070 Super.
b. Overclock it for little to no real gain IYW.
c. Enjoy the fact your 12GB card currently somewhat outperforms a ridiculously low-clocked stock 7800 XT for >double proportional money.
d. Appreciate your card's 960p->1440p scaling is better than AMD. And hey, that 960p might be ray-traced a particular paid-for way. Still 960p which is kinda shit no matter what you do, but hey, DLSS/RT!
e. Contemplate if 12GB will be enough in the near-future to even run a new game at 1440p60 w/o RT. Magic 8 ball says: Ask the PS5 pro, for which this will match general performance but not RAM usage.
f. Relish the fact you are now (probably still) team green. You know, metaphorically. I'm not pigeon-holing you into an identity based on a graphics card choice.
g. (optional) Interupt writing your post about ~30w power savings during a heavy load to walk over and turn your space heater from the 750w to 1500w setting. I got you, everyone gets cold sometimes.

Option 2: a. Buy any 7800xt
b. Appreciate the fact you have more ever-important RAM for, you know, actual 1440p.
c. Flash Sapphire Nitro+ bios for highest PL.
d. Overclock it to gain somewhere around 19% (going from a stock card to overclock with increased PL). Contemplate fact you are set for parity with PS5 pro.
e.
1705471911439.jpeg

f. Relish the fact you are now team red. You know, metaphorically. Bc you are not a fanboy but also really liked saving $100 so you could smoke a cig like you buy nVIDIA (or cigar, you do you).
g. (optional) - Go back to (d.) and maybe don't light it up and instead put it in your pocket, because you quit smoking that Huang.

Gotta say, I don't quite agree with the conclusion of this product, but that's W1z's (and other reviewers') perogative. I just read reviews for numbers/visual comparisons, as should anyone IMO TBH.

Carry on, though. Buy what you want. But, hey, IYKYK. And...

(*IMPORTANT NOTE* - PLEASE DON'T TAKE THIS TOO SERIOUSLY. JUST POINTING OUT AN OPTION WHILE HAVING A BIT OF FUN. I RESPECT YOUR VIEWPOINT/CHOICE REGARDLESS.)

System Name The de-ploughminator Mk-II
Processor i7 13700KF
Motherboard MSI Z790 Carbon
Cooling ID-Cooling SE-226-XT + Phanteks T30
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR5 7200Cas34
Video Card(s) Asus RTX4090 TUF
Storage Kingston KC3000 2TB NVME
Display(s) 48" LG OLED C4
Case Corsair 5000D Air
Audio Device(s) KEF LSX II LT speakers + KEF KC62 Subwoofer
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Razor Death Adder v3
Keyboard Razor Huntsman V3 Pro TKL
Software win11

You can add small sharpening (if games don't have it already) to TAA to reduce the blurriness, but you can't mask the jaggies, shimmering and flickering with SMAA or MSAA (heck even 4xMSAA look horrible compare to TAA in Forza Horizon 5)

TAA is the evolution of SMAA/MSAA, while DLAA is the next evolution of TAA ;)

System Name Gungnir
Processor Ryzen 5 7600X
Case Lian Li Lancool 215
Keyboard Keychron V6
You can add small sharpening (if games don't have it already) to TAA to reduce the blurriness, but you can't mask the jaggies, shimmering and flickering with SMAA or MSAA (heck even 4xMSAA look horrible compare to TAA in Forza Horizon 5)

TAA is the evolution of SMAA/MSAA, while DLAA is the next evolution of TAA ;)
True on that I can add sharpening, and true that it is better at eliminating jaggies, but I disagree in that it looks better, because TAA feels like too nuclear of a method to eliminate jaggies, because not only do you get rid of jaggies, but you get rid of most other detail too, and sharpness cannot bring back lost detail out of thin air.
I prefer SMAA, shimmering included, because it does a good enough job without nuking the details out of the image (at least it does at 1440p).

Here's an example:
(not sure if it will show up proper in here, and I am not on my pc, so I can't save the gif)
It's just preferences, but I at least know what I prefer and dislike the way things are headed.

I think all debates about what AA we prefer depend too much upon the game we use it on to reach any useful conclusion.

I know I don't even care usually when playing most of the games like FPS, FRPs etc at 4K on 28" monitor, they're all quickly good enough.

On the other hand, I'm all of a sudden very picky when playing flight or racing sims, when you often focus on a small detail in the distance, usually full of near - parralel lines which make all the jaggies much worse...

GPU-s are made in Taiwan and China so calculate again (3%)
1705490405051.png
1705490441808.png

I'm not entirely sold on that being relevant but Yuan lost even more value than the USD. Same story with the Taiwanese dollar.

System Name I don't name my systems.
Processor i5-12600KF 'stock power limits/-115mV undervolt+contact frame'
Motherboard Asus Prime B660-PLUS D4
Cooling ID-Cooling SE 224 XT ARGB V3 'CPU', 4x Be Quiet! Light Wings + 2x Arctic P12 black case fans.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4 3200MHz
Video Card(s) Asus TuF V2 RTX 3060 Ti @1920 MHz Core/@950mV Undervolt
Storage 4 TB WD Red, 1 TB Silicon Power A55 Sata, 1 TB Kingston A2000 NVMe, 256 GB Adata Spectrix s40g NVMe
Display(s) 29" 2560x1080 75 Hz / LG 29WK600-W
Case Be Quiet! Pure Base 500 FX Black
Audio Device(s) Onboard + Hama uRage SoundZ 900+USB DAC
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM 500W 80+ Gold
Mouse Canyon Puncher GM-20
Keyboard SPC Gear GK630K Tournament 'Kailh Brown'
Software Windows 10 Pro
Its not ok, I got micro-freezes and low-ress textures in Hogwards on 3070 Ti, this is the time when GPU was chocked on "low ram", and you can find a lot of more example of poorly optimized games vs 8GB.
Also its not about 12GB itself, its more about Nvidia pulling this stuff, it feels like they artificially trying to make this GPU life span as short as possible, to force people to buy new gpus as soon as possible.

Depends on settings and resolution, 1080p and my ultrawide 1080p is fine with 8 GB on High settings and thats something I'm fine with.
For me its a non issue for now and I can still play whatever I'm interested in, I do agree that 8 GB is getting long in the tooth but its also not as terrible as some ppl make it to be. 'just gotta mind those settings and expectations'
12 would easily last my usual GPU upgrade cycle as long as the GPU has enough raw power. 'again my 3060 Ti is starting to lack in that department more than the Vram, at least in new UE 5 games at my resolution'

Rest I honestly don't care about, its all business at the end of the day and non of these corporations are your friends anyway so pick your poison. 'I've used all kind of variety of hardware, probably had more AMD than anything but currently I prefer the Nvidia features and its simple as that'

If a piece of hardware is good/enough for my use case then thats all I care about, well ofc other than the actual price where I live but thats a different topic. 'they are equally expensive so might as well pick the one with the better feature set for my use case and preference'

the actual price where I live
Yeah, that's why I'm rocking a 6700 XT rather than a 3060 Ti. The best nVidia GPU I could get for that money was 2060 Super if I recall correctly. 2070 non-Super best case scenario anyway. And, y'know, 2070 is seriously behind.

System Name I don't name my systems.
Processor i5-12600KF 'stock power limits/-115mV undervolt+contact frame'
Motherboard Asus Prime B660-PLUS D4
Cooling ID-Cooling SE 224 XT ARGB V3 'CPU', 4x Be Quiet! Light Wings + 2x Arctic P12 black case fans.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4 3200MHz
Video Card(s) Asus TuF V2 RTX 3060 Ti @1920 MHz Core/@950mV Undervolt
Storage 4 TB WD Red, 1 TB Silicon Power A55 Sata, 1 TB Kingston A2000 NVMe, 256 GB Adata Spectrix s40g NVMe
Display(s) 29" 2560x1080 75 Hz / LG 29WK600-W
Case Be Quiet! Pure Base 500 FX Black
Audio Device(s) Onboard + Hama uRage SoundZ 900+USB DAC
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM 500W 80+ Gold
Mouse Canyon Puncher GM-20
Keyboard SPC Gear GK630K Tournament 'Kailh Brown'
Software Windows 10 Pro
Yeah, that's why I'm rocking a 6700 XT rather than a 3060 Ti. The best nVidia GPU I could get for that money was 2060 Super if I recall correctly. 2070 non-Super best case scenario anyway. And, y'know, 2070 is seriously behind.

They were the same exact price when I got my 3060 Ti, I did not really need 12 GB Vram in 2022 so I traded the 4 GB Vram for the Nvidia features I was interested in and can't say that I regret it since I still game just fine with my 8 GB card while I do like DLSS and DLAA over native TAA. 'RT is ok depending on the game but its not the main factor'

Right now both the standard 4070 and 7800 XT goes for ~ 630 $ on my go to second hand marketplace in my country and these newer cards usually come with years left of warranty. 'Brand new I don't care about for years now, way too expensive for my taste and wage'

Last edited:

izy

I hope all games will enable Ultra Quality DLSS , seems a better option than Quality, im using DLSSTweaks at the moment to do just that.

System Name Yes
Processor E5-2690 v4
Motherboard VEINEDA X99
Video Card(s) 2080 Ti
Storage NE-512 KingSpec
Display(s) G27Q
Case DAOTECH X9
Power Supply SF450
Now this is the "REAL" 4070 as it should be in last year.
impossible, the yields of good dies on a wafer weren't that good at the time. and now this is pointless because of this meagre improvement only 15%.

if you compare it to GTX 1070/1080, with 1920/2560 cuda cores, 5888/7680 cuda for 4070/Ti comes pretty close to 75% enabled. again 300mm2 die area.

Slot any recent gaming CPU instead of your .... serious bottleneck for such a powerful GPU.[/ISPOILER]

I have no problems with this CPU whatsoever. New CPU will not improve my framarates significantly, GPU usage is 95% most of the time. of course there a some cases.
besides this makes no sense I argue that raising the detail drops my frames below playable rates 60FPS and memory used just barely scratches the 6-7GB mark

Last edited:
Processor 7800X3D
Mouse XTRFY M42
Last edited: