• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PlayStation 5 Pro up to 24% Cheaper than PlayStation 3 at its Launch

System Name Main PC
Processor 13700k
Motherboard Asrock Z690 Steel Legend D4 - Bios 13.02
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32 Gig 3200CL14
Video Card(s) 4080 RTX SUPER FE 16G
Storage 1TB 980 PRO, 2TB SN850X, 2TB DC P4600, 1TB 860 EVO, 2x 3TB WD Red, 2x 4TB WD Red
Display(s) LG 27GL850
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster AE-9
Power Supply Antec HCG 750 Gold
Software Windows 10 21H2 LTSC
I am not saying a game can't be developed on it, just that it makes it harder. When you have two consoles with very similar specs, making a game across them is not as hard except in differences between the development tools for them. However, when one is weaker by a decent margin, its harder to make it functional well enough/stable enough. Just dropping the resolution or graphics is not always enough for it being very stable. Generally developers try to make a game on consoles as stable as possible (At least where frame drops are not crazy). PC's you don't have that luxury because PC hardware is vast and different across all users. Series S does not stop games, it just slows them down from coming out as fast on Xbox.
Its not hard, you just lower the res, lower draw distances, lower shadow quality, the nice things about graphics is they are scalable, its a challenge when the CPU is a vastly different spec though or you cant fit within memory constraints.

Games are often released on PC with much larger spec variation.

I do agree and accept of course it might delay things as optimisation is at end of development, although in reality it shouldnt be enough of a challenge that it needs anything more than a few weeks. As a developer I wouldnt release until its ready for all platforms personally, but there seems to be a itch to release everything as early as possible now days, even to the point you shipping unfinished code for day 1 patches.

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
Is there any game that runs on the GTX 4080 but not on the GTX 4060 ?

I mean, I always aim at $300 GPUs (AMD's 7600 or NVidia 4060). Because I usually favor that argument. But many PC Builders want more than that.
Except the games made for the PS5 are extremely optimized for it.
But more importantly, they are FPS capped. Either at 30 or 60fps.

System Name Nebulon B
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 24 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-4800
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 6750 XT 12 GB
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 2.1 speakers, AKG Y50 headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
Except the games made for the PS5 are extremely optimized for it.
But more importantly, they are FPS capped. Either at 30 or 60fps.
I think you misunderstood the analogy. The question is, do you really need a PS5 Pro (and therefore, should complain about its price) if the regular PS5 plays the same games just fine?

System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Corsair h115i pro rgb
Memory 32GB G.Skill Flare X 3200 CL14 @3800Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor 6900 XT Red Devil 1.1v@2400Mhz
Storage M.2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500MB/ Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Display(s) LG 27UD69 UHD / LG 27GN950
Case Fractal Design G
Audio Device(s) Realtec 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic 750W GOLD
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech slim
Software Windows 10 64 bit
PS3 60GB's price of 599EUR from 2007 seems to translate into 827EUR in today's money. PS5 Pro's MSRP is 799EUR, so that's not much of a difference.
It is a huge difference in my opinion but the other way around.
599EUR is 827EUR in today money. That does not mean if you earned 5990EUR back in the day, now somewhat you have 8270EUR nowadays. You still have 5990EUR
for that money you could get 10 of these PS3's. Today you can get 7 ps5 Pro's for 799EUR.
The average increase in wage over 10 years time was 10% - 15% in most countries. Even if you had 25% increase in your wage you still could not afford the same number of devices you could in 2014 for instance. Inflation and increasing taxes, insane introduction of new taxes is killing Europe and people's purchasing capacity is much lower.
The difference is huge and not the way you think.

las

System Name Meh
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI X670E Tomahawk
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit
Memory 32GB G.Skill @ 6000/CL30
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX 4090 Phantom / Undervolt + OC
Storage Samsung 990 Pro 2TB + WD SN850X 1TB + 64TB NAS/Server
Display(s) 27" 1440p IPS @ 360 Hz + 32" 4K/UHD QD-OLED @ 240 Hz + 77" 4K/UHD QD-OLED @ 144 Hz VRR
Case Fractal Design North XL
Audio Device(s) FiiO DAC
Power Supply Corsair RM1000x / Native 12VHPWR
Mouse Logitech G Pro Wireless Superlight + Razer Deathadder V3 Pro
Keyboard Corsair K60 Pro / MX Low Profile Speed
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Its still just a mid cycle refresh, and you are assuming they decide to wait till beyond 2028. Xbox may push forward with a whole new console because of this in that time depending on how PS5 Pro goes. But generally its about 3 years between a new console after pro versions. The other problem is pricing of this one compared to how pricing of pro version were in the past. There are always growing pains with any console regardless if its a whole new one or a 'Pro' version.

PS4 Pro just upscaled, just like One X did. A better experience I mean sure, however you are still hampered by the old consoles because those are the primary ones they focus development on. Yes some developers will put effort in, but alot of the games 'enhanced modes' were not perfect because they were not optimized for those consoles.

Sure, but I guarantee you Rockstar has not even though much about the PS5 Pro while working on the game. Even if they were handed one a year ago, their focus is going to be on the PS5 and the Series X (While also having to figure out a way to drop down enough to make the Series S run).

Meh, I don't care as much as I did because its happening one way or another. Sadly disc tech is too far behind so the disk are just base game storage at this point.

They actually have to care if they want to release on Xbox. Microsoft made it where you cannot release a game that does not run on the Series S. Hence why some AAA games have had delayed Xbox releases. They can do it, but its taking more time and resources to make it functional even with reducing resolution. Microsoft has a bear minimum functionality requirement to release a game.

It does not matter, the performance was enough lower on the GPU side that it makes a big difference. Regardless of the plan from Microsoft, the console it weaker than even the One X in terms of GPU performance which means developers are working on a much lower system to make the game run.

I love my Series X, more than I like PS5. But Microsoft messed up with the Series S probably gambling that Sony's digital was going to be the same idea when it turned out they just took a hit and removed the disk drive. It really has hurt them on multi-platform games which is why games are being delayed on their platform which hurts sales. Its not going to surprise me if something for Xbox gets released to replace Series X/S in the next couple years.
PS4 Pro did not just upscale, it ran higher internal resolution - or even higher graphical settings - and the actual image quality using a proper 4K/UHD HDR TV is clear as day. PS4 Pro also had option for 60 fps in tons of games where base PS4 did 30.

The GPU in PS4 Pro is massively better than PS4, like 150% more TFLOPS. There was many improvements in the Pro besides this. It was the best way to play all those awesome PS4 exclusives really.

Also PS4 Pro actually supported 4K/UHD where base PS4 was1080p. Huge difference for people with a 4K TV again, which was the big reason for PS4 Pro happening in the first place.

The games with no PS4 Pro support, still gained from Boost Mode which came in firmware v4.5 and kept higher and more stable framerates.

Pretty much all PS4 Exclusives and most big AAA games got patched for the Pro and this will repeat with PS5 Pro.

Xbox is a joke to me, since I have a high-end PC. Xbox has nothing for me, zero exclusives. Xbox is mostly about selling gamepasses and console sales numbers reflect it. Microsoft don't even want to tell us the sales numbers anymore. Playstation massively outsells Xbox all over the world.

Last edited:
System Name SnowFire / The Reinforcer
Processor i7 10700K 5.1ghz (24/7) / 2x Xeon E52650v2
Motherboard Asus Strix Z490 / Dell Dual Socket (R720)
Cooling RX 360mm + 140mm Custom Loop / Dell Stock
Memory Corsair RGB 16gb DDR4 3000 CL 16 / DDR3 128gb 16 x 8gb
Video Card(s) GTX Titan XP (2025mhz) / Asus GTX 950 (No Power Connector)
Storage Samsung 970 1tb NVME and 2tb HDD x4 RAID 5 / 300gb x8 RAID 5
Display(s) Acer XG270HU, Samsung G7 Odyssey (1440p 240hz)
Case Thermaltake Cube / Dell Poweredge R720 Rack Mount Case
Audio Device(s) Realtec ALC1150 (On board)
Power Supply Rosewill Lightning 1300Watt / Dell Stock 750 / Brick
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Logitech G19S
Software Windows 11 Pro / Windows Server 2016
PS4 Pro did not just upscale, it ran higher internal resolution - or even higher graphical settings - and the actual image quality using a proper 4K/UHD HDR TV is clear as day. PS4 Pro also had option for 60 fps in tons of games where base PS4 did 30.

The GPU in PS4 Pro is massively better than PS4, like 150% more TFLOPS. There was many improvements in the Pro besides this. It was the best way to play all those awesome PS4 exclusives really.

Also PS4 Pro actually supported 4K/UHD where base PS4 was1080p. Huge difference for people with a 4K TV again, which was the big reason for PS4 Pro happening in the first place.

The games with no PS4 Pro support, still gained from Boost Mode which came in firmware v4.5 and kept higher and more stable framerates.

Pretty much all PS4 Exclusives and most big AAA games got patched for the Pro and this will repeat with PS5 Pro.

Xbox is a joke to me, since I have a high-end PC. Xbox has nothing for me, zero exclusives. Xbox is mostly about selling gamepasses and console sales numbers reflect it. Microsoft don't even want to tell us the sales numbers anymore. Playstation massively outsells Xbox all over the world.
First, no it does not. It does run at a higher internal resolution but it was actually 1440p upscaled to 2160p in most cases (I believe some could scale to 1800p but I don't know which ones) unless I'm mistaken. It was just upscaling overall to 2160p when hooked to a 4k TV.

Lots of games did have additional modes that were 60FPS, but they were not guaranteed stable and tests showed they bounced around. It was massively more powerful in the GPU department, but games had to be designed properly to take advantage of it if you wanted true stability. Same goes for the Xbox One versus Xbox One X.

Yea the PS4 exclusives were designed for it, never denied that and alot of AAA games did take advantage as well. But they all had major differences in resolution and how they handled upscaling depending on the game.

Ok, I was not arguing on Xbox merits. However, Xbox does have decent exclusives and there are alot of games in the pipelines right now for them. Not gonna deny right now PS5 has more (especially this year), but Playstation exclusives have also been lacking in volume in recent years. I don't think either console has a ton of exclusives this generation (At least AAA ones). Not sure what Microsoft truly plans to do at this point, rumor mill is crazy right now.

System Name Main PC
Processor 13700k
Motherboard Asrock Z690 Steel Legend D4 - Bios 13.02
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32 Gig 3200CL14
Video Card(s) 4080 RTX SUPER FE 16G
Storage 1TB 980 PRO, 2TB SN850X, 2TB DC P4600, 1TB 860 EVO, 2x 3TB WD Red, 2x 4TB WD Red
Display(s) LG 27GL850
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster AE-9
Power Supply Antec HCG 750 Gold
Software Windows 10 21H2 LTSC
Both Microsoft and Sony seem to be preferring big hitters over quantity.

Read an Article only today on the BBC app, and it mentioned Microsoft is closing down even more studios, with the reason given they want to focus on "big hitters". Microsoft I think its focusing on established successful brands, and Sony they want movie like experience in their games.

Processor Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Gaming X AX
Cooling DeepCool AK620
Memory G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5 6000 32GB (2x16GB)
Video Card(s) XFX Speedster Merc 310 7900XTX
Storage Silicon Power 4TB XS70 PCIE4.0 + Silicon Power 4TB UD90 PCIE4.0+ Silicon Power 2TB A80 PCIE3.00NVM
Display(s) Samsung 32" Odyssey Neo G7 4K UHD 165Hz
Case Phanteks Eclipse P600S
Power Supply Rosewill Gaming 80 Plug Gold 1200W
Software Windows 11 Pro
Ok, I was not arguing on Xbox merits. However, Xbox does have decent exclusives and there are alot of games in the pipelines right now for them. Not gonna deny right now PS5 has more (especially this year), but Playstation exclusives have also been lacking in volume in recent years. I don't think either console has a ton of exclusives this generation (At least AAA ones). Not sure what Microsoft truly plans to do at this point, rumor mill is crazy right now
Xbox has no exclusives. Everything for Xbox drops day and date for PC. It's part of the reason their brand value has diminished so much. The Xbox brand was strongest in the midst of RRoD crazily enough. They had a committment to bringing exclusive content to the 360 and in spite of the reliability issues, it became their best selling console by a country mile. I often wonder where things would stand right now if the 360 didn't have RRoD. I don't think the PS3 makes a come back without it.

Sony seems to heading down the same path that diminished the value of Xbox. Dropping their games on PC with increasingly shorter exclusivity windows reduces the value of their consoles. The PS5 Pro, even with it's absurd price, would have some appeal to me if I couldn't just buy Sony's "exclusives" on PC and run them better than the PS5 Pro ever could.

System Name SnowFire / The Reinforcer
Processor i7 10700K 5.1ghz (24/7) / 2x Xeon E52650v2
Motherboard Asus Strix Z490 / Dell Dual Socket (R720)
Cooling RX 360mm + 140mm Custom Loop / Dell Stock
Memory Corsair RGB 16gb DDR4 3000 CL 16 / DDR3 128gb 16 x 8gb
Video Card(s) GTX Titan XP (2025mhz) / Asus GTX 950 (No Power Connector)
Storage Samsung 970 1tb NVME and 2tb HDD x4 RAID 5 / 300gb x8 RAID 5
Display(s) Acer XG270HU, Samsung G7 Odyssey (1440p 240hz)
Case Thermaltake Cube / Dell Poweredge R720 Rack Mount Case
Audio Device(s) Realtec ALC1150 (On board)
Power Supply Rosewill Lightning 1300Watt / Dell Stock 750 / Brick
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Logitech G19S
Software Windows 11 Pro / Windows Server 2016
Xbox has no exclusives. Everything for Xbox drops day and date for PC. It's part of the reason their brand value has diminished so much. The Xbox brand was strongest in the midst of RRoD crazily enough. They had a committment to bringing exclusive content to the 360 and in spite of the reliability issues, it became their best selling console by a country mile. I often wonder where things would stand right now if the 360 didn't have RRoD. I don't think the PS3 makes a come back without it.

Sony seems to heading down the same path that diminished the value of Xbox. Dropping their games on PC with increasingly shorter exclusivity windows reduces the value of their consoles. The PS5 Pro, even with it's absurd price, would have some appeal to me if I couldn't just buy Sony's "exclusives" on PC and run them better than the PS5 Pro ever could.
I mean sure since we are including PC now most game companies want PC as well. Microsoft also does Windows so it has become multi-platform most days. While exclusives that only hit Xbox and PC are getting more rare, I don't view that as the big reason overall. The biggest reason was Xbox One vs PS4. PS4 was cheaper (Reason why 360 was more popular) for same graphics/better. Regardless of exclusives, most people vote with their wallet as Consoles are generally much cheaper than building a PC that can do the same thing even if you match the hardware in the consoles.

Yea that probably not helping, but its hard for game companies to make a game costing 100 million or more and then only being allowed to sell on one console out of a market of 4. I am not sure personally if and when things will change. But I can safely say the PS5 Pro is a joke at that price.

AsRock

TPU addict
The difference between now and then, is that times weren't tough back then.

Next gen console to approach 1K. Mark my words.

Do not buy. Price will come down. Easy.

Maybe SONY is trying to get some of the money back from the failed Concord.

But yes better wait and if you have PS5 there is not much if any reason to buy this.

System Name Core
Processor Intel 12700k @ 5.2/4.0
Motherboard ASRock z690 Steel Legend
Cooling Artic Cooling Freezer 420 AiO
Memory GSkill 64GB 3200 cas 14 b die
Video Card(s) ASRock Intel ARC a750
Storage Optane 900p x2, SK Hynix p41 Pro, p31 Pro
Display(s) ACER 250hz 1080p 25" IPS display/AOC 22" display
Case Phanteks p500a with all Arctic/Thermaltake fans
Audio Device(s) Focusrite interface, Presonus Studio Monitors and Subwoofer
Power Supply Seasonic 850w plat with cable mod cables
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Corsair mech k65
Software Win 11 Pro
Pricing has killed a ton of consoles over the years. I could name them all, but that would take forever, but I will say they had one thing in common, a price tag over $700. Not one made it if I recall and only the NeoGeo made a decent go of it. Sony dropped the ball here. Im not a console gamer, but I do have an Xbox One because my kid and her friends like to play games in our theater and I need the disc drive for 4k films. I cant believe their excluding the drive and then charging so much for it. Didnt seem to matter as they sold out anyway. Guess Ill keep my MSFT machine another year...

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
I think you misunderstood the analogy. The question is, do you really need a PS5 Pro (and therefore, should complain about its price) if the regular PS5 plays the same games just fine?
No. Either way it is a no. Even if I would be in a market for a new console, I still wouldn't buy the overly expensive Pro version vs the normal one.

las

System Name Meh
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI X670E Tomahawk
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit
Memory 32GB G.Skill @ 6000/CL30
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX 4090 Phantom / Undervolt + OC
Storage Samsung 990 Pro 2TB + WD SN850X 1TB + 64TB NAS/Server
Display(s) 27" 1440p IPS @ 360 Hz + 32" 4K/UHD QD-OLED @ 240 Hz + 77" 4K/UHD QD-OLED @ 144 Hz VRR
Case Fractal Design North XL
Audio Device(s) FiiO DAC
Power Supply Corsair RM1000x / Native 12VHPWR
Mouse Logitech G Pro Wireless Superlight + Razer Deathadder V3 Pro
Keyboard Corsair K60 Pro / MX Low Profile Speed
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
First, no it does not. It does run at a higher internal resolution but it was actually 1440p upscaled to 2160p in most cases (I believe some could scale to 1800p but I don't know which ones) unless I'm mistaken. It was just upscaling overall to 2160p when hooked to a 4k TV.

Lots of games did have additional modes that were 60FPS, but they were not guaranteed stable and tests showed they bounced around. It was massively more powerful in the GPU department, but games had to be designed properly to take advantage of it if you wanted true stability. Same goes for the Xbox One versus Xbox One X.

Yea the PS4 exclusives were designed for it, never denied that and alot of AAA games did take advantage as well. But they all had major differences in resolution and how they handled upscaling depending on the game.

Ok, I was not arguing on Xbox merits. However, Xbox does have decent exclusives and there are alot of games in the pipelines right now for them. Not gonna deny right now PS5 has more (especially this year), but Playstation exclusives have also been lacking in volume in recent years. I don't think either console has a ton of exclusives this generation (At least AAA ones). Not sure what Microsoft truly plans to do at this point, rumor mill is crazy right now.

And? 1440p-1800p upscaled to 4K/UHD looks massively better than 720p-1080p as the base PS4 did.

PS4 Pro also had much higher fps overall, higher view distance and detail in many games too. Who cares if its 60 fps stable or not, everything is better than "up to 30 fps". Base PS4 did not even do 30 fps locked in many games either.

Microsofts plan with Xbox is selling Gamepasses and nothing else. Xbox is barely profitable as it is. They don't care if you sub to game pass on PC or Xbox really.