• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

RTX 3000 Series artifacts, black squares that flicker in desktop and 2D mode

System Name MSI-MEG
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
Motherboard MSI MEG X570S ACE MAX
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism + Thermal Grizzly
Memory 32 GB
Video Card(s) MSI Suprim X RTX 3080
Storage 500 GB MSI Spatium nvme + 500 GB WD nvme + 2 TB Seagate HDD + 2 TB Seagate HDD
Display(s) 27" LG 144HZ 2K ULTRAGEAR
Case MSI MPG Velox Airflow 100P
Audio Device(s) Altec Lansing
Power Supply Seasonic 750W 80+ Gold
Mouse HP OMEN REACTOR
Keyboard Corsair K68
Software Windows10 LTSC 64 bit
Seems to solve the problem by using HDMI cable.
Culprit could be both the high refresh rates and the signal cable interface.

devaser28

Hello, i have this issue on a 4070. Chrome window starts flickering randomly and draws a pattern, here the proof. I have installed new hotfix by nvidia but does not seem to work. My setup is dual monitor 144hz-60hz, only the 144hz do the flickering thing.

Is there a fix for this?? i thought my 4070 was broken, is it?

Here is a picture without the blinking and the pattern:

https://i.ibb.co/gzHVhsb/4070-sin-el-problema.png

And here you can see the issue, look at the frame, not the video

just loop the fist second. You will see it.

Last edited:
Chrome window starts flickering randomly and draws a pattern,

Thats a seperate issue and listed as Open under the known issues list of the current driver.

Open Issues:

• Toggling HDR on and off in-game causes game stability issues when non-native resolution is used. [3624030]
  • [GeForce RTX 4090] Watch Dogs 2 may display flickering when staring at the sky [3858016]
  • Increase in DPC latency observed in Latencymon [3952556]
  • Applying GeForce Experience Freestyle filters cause games to crash [4008945]
  • Event Viewer logs nvlddmkm error at the end of the OCCT video ram test when memory is full [4049182]
  • Small checkerboard like pattern may randomly appear in Chromium based applications [3992875]
  • [Surface Book/Surface Studio] Dedicated GPU stuck at lowest clock speed when notebook is running off of battery [4063597]
  • After updating to R530 drivers, certain GeForce RTX 40 series notebook models may randomly experience a TDR/black screen [4024853]
  • Some monitors may display random black screen flicker when in Display Stream Compression mode when using R530 drivers [4034096]
  • [Control][DX12] Cut scenes and videos show tearing and partial jitter [4084000]
  • Fast sync caps the game FPS to the monitors maximum refresh rate [4114157]
  • When using multiple monitors which support adaptive sync, users may see random flicker on certain displays when G-SYNC is enabled after updating to driver 535.98 [4138119]
  • Red Dead Redemption 2 may crash a few minutes after starting the game [4140319]
  • Dead Space (2023) may crash during gameplay after updating to driver 535.98 [4140545]

Dezzzigner

Thats a seperate issue and listed as Open under the known issues list of the current driver.

Open Issues:

• Toggling HDR on and off in-game causes game stability issues when non-native resolution is used. [3624030]
  • [GeForce RTX 4090] Watch Dogs 2 may display flickering when staring at the sky [3858016]
  • Increase in DPC latency observed in Latencymon [3952556]
  • Applying GeForce Experience Freestyle filters cause games to crash [4008945]
  • Event Viewer logs nvlddmkm error at the end of the OCCT video ram test when memory is full [4049182]
  • Small checkerboard like pattern may randomly appear in Chromium based applications [3992875]
  • [Surface Book/Surface Studio] Dedicated GPU stuck at lowest clock speed when notebook is running off of battery [4063597]
  • After updating to R530 drivers, certain GeForce RTX 40 series notebook models may randomly experience a TDR/black screen [4024853]
  • Some monitors may display random black screen flicker when in Display Stream Compression mode when using R530 drivers [4034096]
  • [Control][DX12] Cut scenes and videos show tearing and partial jitter [4084000]
  • Fast sync caps the game FPS to the monitors maximum refresh rate [4114157]
  • When using multiple monitors which support adaptive sync, users may see random flicker on certain displays when G-SYNC is enabled after updating to driver 535.98 [4138119]
  • Red Dead Redemption 2 may crash a few minutes after starting the game [4140319]
  • Dead Space (2023) may crash during gameplay after updating to driver 535.98 [4140545]
This can not but rejoice, hopefully by the end of the year will be corrected

Pass --disable-direct-composition-video-overlays to the chromium or CEF process to mitigate the checkerboarding and flickering while keeping MPO on.

This can not but rejoice, hopefully by the end of the year will be corrected

It seems to be a Chrome bug, only affecting MPO supported hardware.

What’s weird though, is that this bug so far never was mentioned in the official release notes which come with each driver release.

Still haven’t got this since disabling MPO in the OS btw. It looks like it’s gone, but yes for now. I know how it goes when you jinx it.

Anomalistics

Just an update for those that are interested

. In December 2022 I posted about experiencing these aritfacts. It was seemingly random, I would go 2-3 weeks without having them and then it would pop up again whilst the machine was idle. I did all the usual stuff, check temps, drivers, etc. People kept suggesting it was the VRAM but I was adamant it was not (given how widely documented the issue was and how it was always happening at idle rather than during high load)

Anyway, it has been probably 5-6 months now and I haven't see any at all. I assume a driver update may have cleared it for me but again, it was not the VRAM.

Just an update for those that are interested

. In December 2022 I posted about experiencing these aritfacts. It was seemingly random, I would go 2-3 weeks without having them and then it would pop up again whilst the machine was idle. I did all the usual stuff, check temps, drivers, etc. People kept suggesting it was the VRAM but I was adamant it was not (given how widely documented the issue was and how it was always happening at idle rather than during high load)

Anyway, it has been probably 5-6 months now and I haven't see any at all. I assume a driver update may have cleared it for me but again, it was not the VRAM.
Same experience here, however must admit that MPO is still forcedly disabled in W11 here. As a game reviewer I use, update and reboot my pc on a daily base and suddenly it has disappeared.

Some of you affected with MPO should try turning it back on and testing with KB5027303 installed (Win 11 22h2 users)

Last edited:

Gyuthur63

Just registered to post about my own experience with the issue described by OP :

3 months old Lenovo legion 5 laptop, windows 11, AMD R7 6800H, RTX 3070 mobile
My integrated AMD GPU is fully disabled (MUX switch + device manager) so the laptop runs entirely on the 3070.

The black squares happened 3 times over the last 2 months :

2 occurences on the lock screen right after booting up ,on the top right : 2 black vertical rectangles. They disappeared as soon as i pressed enter to get to the password screen. i rebooted both times afterwards.

Another occurence just now : right after booting up, i was opening the file explorer from the taskbar, the black squares appeared at the same spot, and the computer froze for 5 seconds.
after it came back to normal, i tried opening the start menu, and it froze again for 5 seconds.
I rebooted after that.

Event Log says the nvidia driver stopped responding, twice in a row. which would explain both freezes.

i have no idea what causes this, performance in games and 3Dmark is fine, temps are ok, it happened on at least 2, maybe 3 different drivers.

Last edited:

Artfill008

My computer was assembled at the end of December with the following specifications:

- Graphics card: Asus Tuf Gaming RTX 3060 with Samsung VRam (LHR Version).
- Motherboard: Asus Tuf Gaming B550-M Plus.
- Processor: Ryzen 7 5800X 3D.
- RAM: 32 GB.
MPO was disabled during the second occurrence.

The issues started in early January and recurred in early June. After entering the password during system login, the screen flickered. Then, upon launching a large number of programs, small rectangles appeared on the screen. In the YouTube Music app, the buttons and albums transformed into sharp triangles with incorrect shapes. The screen periodically flickered, and a black bar appeared from the top to the first quarter of the monitor. To check for artifacts, I ran the MSI Kombuster program and selected the artifact scanning mode. a scanner with a background and square dots appeared. This scanner detected a significant number of artifacts, more than 1000. Then I launched the game BlueStacks 5 and played Standoff 2 Render Vulkan. During the game, black and occasionally rainbow-colored square rectangles appeared on the weapons, resembling part of the texture of skins, floors, walls, etc.
After week, my computer shut down while playing a game.

Last edited:

Gyuthur63

My computer was assembled at the end of December with the following specifications:

- Graphics card: Asus Tuf Gaming RTX 3060 with Samsung VRam (LHR Version).
- Motherboard: Asus Tuf Gaming B550-M Plus.
- Processor: Ryzen 7 5800X 3D.
- RAM: 32 GB.
MPO was disabled during the second occurrence.

The issues started in early January and recurred in early June. After entering the password during system login, the screen flickered. Then, upon launching a large number of programs, small rectangles appeared on the screen. In the YouTube Music app, the buttons and albums transformed into sharp triangles with incorrect shapes. The screen periodically flickered, and a black bar appeared from the top to the first quarter of the monitor. To check for artifacts, I ran the MSI Kombuster program and selected the artifact scanning mode. a scanner with a background and square dots appeared. This scanner detected a significant number of artifacts, more than 1000. Then I launched the game BlueStacks 5 and played Standoff 2 Render Vulkan. During the game, black and occasionally rainbow-colored square rectangles appeared on the weapons, resembling part of the texture of skins, floors, walls, etc.
After week, my computer shut down while playing a game.
Sounds like a defective GPU to me. this is different from the issue in this thread. you should RMA that 3060.

Artfill008

Sounds like a defective GPU to me. this is different from the issue in this thread. you should RMA that 3060.
Hello, I cannot return the item without verifying the issue. Since it’s a rare occurrence, I’m unable to replicate it. My GPU is still under warranty. Is there a way to reproduce the problem?

You have hardware failure, not the issue in this thread.
Kombustor is a 3D surface, the issue in this thread doesn't occur on games or 3d surfaces.

Gyuthur63

i got the 2 black rectangles again today. On lockscreen, 30 sec after booting up. disappeared right after pressing enter to get to the password screen, no lag or freeze, just like the first two times.

Everything is up to date.

3Dmark scores are still alright.

Truly a strange issue.

Artfill008

"I will try to recreate the issue by resetting the monitor settings to default, installing a fresh copy of the operating system without configuring drivers or making any adjustments. I won't modify any settings; I'll simply play around and attempt to capture the problem on video."

P.s. and clear bios.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Poll

Still haven't seen it back since 23th of April, since disabling MPO and recently upgrading to W11 22H2 22621.1926 and re-enabling MPO.
So not sure if I already should vote on the poll, will wait and see if it is really gone.
For me it was a software/OS-related issue anyway, as killing DWM.exe + re-login fixed it immediately.

rcsverige

I am having the exact same issue... My 3060 is brand new but ever since switching from my 1060, I have been getting weird artifacts exactly like the video you posted. Its really annoying and frustrating because its difficult to diagnose. I have not overclocked anything (scared to overclock and inexperienced)... It never happens in game and only occurs randomly on the desktop. When I restart the PC it goes away temporarily. Any ideas? I know I am kind of late to this thread.

Ascender52

Had the artifacting reoccur in cold-boot desktop after almost 3 months with MPO disabled. I checked the registry if Windows 10 update might have reverted the changes, but no.
3070, Windows 10

Anyone had any success RMAing a GPU with this problem? In my personal experience the product usually needs to be very obviously faulty or else they tell you to pound sand, so "artifacting in desktop after 60 or so cold boots" doesn't usually cut it.

System Name MSI-MEG
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
Motherboard MSI MEG X570S ACE MAX
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism + Thermal Grizzly
Memory 32 GB
Video Card(s) MSI Suprim X RTX 3080
Storage 500 GB MSI Spatium nvme + 500 GB WD nvme + 2 TB Seagate HDD + 2 TB Seagate HDD
Display(s) 27" LG 144HZ 2K ULTRAGEAR
Case MSI MPG Velox Airflow 100P
Audio Device(s) Altec Lansing
Power Supply Seasonic 750W 80+ Gold
Mouse HP OMEN REACTOR
Keyboard Corsair K68
Software Windows10 LTSC 64 bit
These glitches used to happen when I unplug-replug the display port cable (for relocating my pc) . And also occured when the gpu is not properly seated. After I purchased the gpu riser cable and pay extra attention to every slot and cables are properly be seated, the problem has gone for good.

These glitches used to happen when I unplug-replug the display port cable (for relocating my pc) . And also occured when the gpu is not properly seated. After I purchased the gpu riser cable and pay extra attention to every slot and cables are properly be seated, the problem has gone for good.

Glitches can manifest when a DSC stream is interrupted, but that is not this threads issue.