• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

RTX 3000 Series artifacts, black squares that flicker in desktop and 2D mode

After researching a bit I think I found a way to replicate and alleviate the checkerboard issue [3992875].

*Disable HAGS (Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling)
(Found under Windows Graphics Settings)
Noticed occasional flashing but no checkerboard when HAGS is disabled.

*Enabling HAGS might slightly increase performance on instances and is also required to use DLSS 3 frame generation, so I don't see turning this off as the ultimate solution,
but knowing HAGS aggregates glitching will hopefully help in having the issue resolved by either Microsoft, Nvidia or Google..?

Replicate:
The way for me to constantly replicate the issue as funny as it may seem is by playing the video reviewing HAGS with the settings bellow.
(Should You Use Hardware-Accelerated GPU Scheduling? And How to Enable or Disable! - YouTube)

Use Edge (On latest Chrome YouTube's ambient mode does nothing)
Dark theme (Needed to enable Ambient Mode option)
Ambient Mode ON (turning this off eliminates glitches)
Highest video resolution (2160p60fps)

Playing through the first minute with the above settings will show enough glitches to realize the issue.
Placing the mouse over the timeline and moving it without clicking also aggravates glitching.
Presumably it's the way ambient mode changes colors in that video that seems to trigger it since other (4k60fps) don't glitch that much.
There are other ways and apps to replicate as well but this is convenient enough for now..
Also had a similar issue happening while on a video call on Discord..

Glitch can also be recorded using OBS and default capture method "DXGI Desktop duplication mode".
While it won't get recorded when using Capture method "Windows 10 (1903 and up)"
I think the ability to record a glitch using software is most often a good indication that it is not a hardware issue.

-----------------------------------------------

GPU: Nvidia 4070 (TUF-RTX4070-O12G-GAMING)
Monitors: LG 32GP850 @180Hz (G-Sync Enabled) & Asus MX259 @74Hz
CPU: Intel Xeon x5650 (OC @3.9)
Nvidia Drivers tested: 536.23, 537.13, 537.34 & 537.42
Windows 10 22H2 (OS Build 19045.3448)
Edge Version 117.0.2045.41 (Official build) (64-bit)

-----------------------------------------------

Last edited:
System Name MSI-MEG
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
Motherboard MSI MEG X570S ACE MAX
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism + Thermal Grizzly
Memory 32 GB
Video Card(s) MSI Suprim X RTX 3080
Storage 500 GB MSI Spatium nvme + 500 GB WD nvme + 2 TB Seagate HDD + 2 TB Seagate HDD
Display(s) 27" LG 144HZ 2K ULTRAGEAR
Case MSI MPG Velox Airflow 100P
Audio Device(s) Altec Lansing
Power Supply Seasonic 750W 80+ Gold
Mouse HP OMEN REACTOR
Keyboard Corsair K68
Software Windows10 LTSC 64 bit
I have an RTX3080 and have suffered none of the problems you have mentioned...
Still?
Well I change the cable to HDMI and it's all good . But when I switch back to display port for higher refresh rates, it gives me artifacts. I tried all 3 ports without avail.

MariusT

Hey guys.
In the last weeks I started noticing issues described in this post. Some black spots, some black screen refreshing etc...

I have an RTX 3090 TI. No problem for almost a year.
Suddenly... issues.

I thought at first that my gpu is diying.
Did some research, believing it's because of the temps (this summer was really hot like 30-40 Celsius degrees) so the Gpu went up to 70-80 celsius.

Ran some tests with GPUMemTest and had the random memory result come back with 16 errors. But also searched the internet and they said that is might be a false positive because of how old the program is etc. All the other sections in the test came back clean.

Now I installed TechPowerUp Gpu-z and left it running and did some work in Premiere Pro. I had a milisecond flash (like a refresh) and I post the results.

Now I can't be sure of the reason but I saw those spikes corresponding to the event :
for example gpu clock and memory clock jumped from 200 to 1920 / and 600 to 1300 and also had the Vrel in the PerfCap Reason.

So, don't know if this helps ... but ... yeah.
Also, when running intensive gaming all maxed ultra etc... I got max hot spot to 105 Celsius, max fan speed, 98% tdp ussage, and also at perfcap I get PWR.

Any ideas? Does this help?

Attachments

• gpu test2.jpg
    gpu test2.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 204
System Name Mean machine
Processor 12900k
Motherboard MSI Unify X
Cooling Noctua U12A
Memory 7600c34
Video Card(s) 4090 Gamerock oc
Storage 980 pro 2tb
Display(s) Samsung crg90
Case Fractal Torent
Audio Device(s) Hifiman Arya / a30 - d30 pro stack
Power Supply Be quiet dark power pro 1200
Mouse Viper ultimate
Keyboard Blackwidow 65%
Hey guys.
In the last weeks I started noticing issues described in this post. Some black spots, some black screen refreshing etc...

I have an RTX 3090 TI. No problem for almost a year.
Suddenly... issues.

I thought at first that my gpu is diying.
Did some research, believing it's because of the temps (this summer was really hot like 30-40 Celsius degrees) so the Gpu went up to 70-80 celsius.

Ran some tests with GPUMemTest and had the random memory result come back with 16 errors. But also searched the internet and they said that is might be a false positive because of how old the program is etc. All the other sections in the test came back clean.

Now I installed TechPowerUp Gpu-z and left it running and did some work in Premiere Pro. I had a milisecond flash (like a refresh) and I post the results.

Now I can't be sure of the reason but I saw those spikes corresponding to the event :
for example gpu clock and memory clock jumped from 200 to 1920 / and 600 to 1300 and also had the Vrel in the PerfCap Reason.

So, don't know if this helps ... but ... yeah.
Also, when running intensive gaming all maxed ultra etc... I got max hot spot to 105 Celsius, max fan speed, 98% tdp ussage, and also at perfcap I get PWR.

Any ideas? Does this help?
You need to repaste the core. 105c hotspot is throttling your card, probably there is a blank spot on the die with no thermal paste.

MariusT

You need to repaste the core. 105c hotspot is throttling your card, probably there is a blank spot on the die with no thermal paste.
Yeah... I found something on google about that. Questioned my supplier about an RMA because the card is ~1 year old.

But also, today... with everything almost in idle... had some "glitches". This usually happens in many other programs. Small things. I don't know why but I also observed them since I bought my new monitor (27U Omen) which is 4k. True, it might be because Premier Pro might not work that well in 4k res... but I don't think it hurts to share the info.

As soon as I move, or pull something in the project. It dissapears. (those 3 black lines in this case)

Attachments

• error premier pro.jpg
    error premier pro.jpg
    379.2 KB · Views: 180

lordofrandy

Been 1 year with the 3080ti founders almost. It has had these artifacts on boot up maybe 7-8 times in total. Had one today after like 4-5 months. Super strange.

Been 1 year with the 3080ti founders almost. It has had these artifacts on boot up maybe 7-8 times in total. Had one today after like 4-5 months. Super strange.
Here, the issue has disappeared completely after upgrading Windows 11 to a certain version (see previous post). On one hand also rather logical explanation, as these artifacts also disappeared immediately when killing wdm.exe, and this upgrade contained an updated version of this exe.

lordofrandy

Here, the issue has disappeared completely after upgrading Windows 11 to a certain version (see previous post). On one hand also rather logical explanation, as these artifacts also disappeared immediately when killing wdm.exe, and this upgrade contained an updated version of this exe.
killing wdm.exe logs you out? one time i reinstalled the nvidia drivers instead of rebooting and it went.

killing wdm.exe logs you out? one time i reinstalled the nvidia drivers instead of rebooting and it went.
No, killing wdm.exe limits the possibility to interact via windows UI, but you still can (and need to) logout manually using taskmgr.exe. And the artifacts will be gone without rebooting.

System Name MSI-MEG
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
Motherboard MSI MEG X570S ACE MAX
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism + Thermal Grizzly
Memory 32 GB
Video Card(s) MSI Suprim X RTX 3080
Storage 500 GB MSI Spatium nvme + 500 GB WD nvme + 2 TB Seagate HDD + 2 TB Seagate HDD
Display(s) 27" LG 144HZ 2K ULTRAGEAR
Case MSI MPG Velox Airflow 100P
Audio Device(s) Altec Lansing
Power Supply Seasonic 750W 80+ Gold
Mouse HP OMEN REACTOR
Keyboard Corsair K68
Software Windows10 LTSC 64 bit
Today after 10 mins of idling, the random squares has started blinking on and off. It was not until I re-plug the monitor to the mains and the issue solved for now.

ok_poof

I have had this problem every day for months. I have a legion 5 pro gaming laptop with a 3070. No prob while gaming but had the black artifacting while watching youtube videos. I found a fix for myself. I turned off dark mode in my browser and I've gone 3 days now with no problems at all.

Mehranbam

Hi Guys,

I have a weird problem with my RTX 3060ti. Please see the picture below.
Can anyone help me with this?

Attachments

• 16993036595903483722191868128594.jpg
    16993036595903483722191868128594.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 242
  • 16993037428652303755282531768373.jpg
    16993037428652303755282531768373.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 244
Just discovered an interesting, seemingly related phenomenon. Often now when I take screenshots using the Ubisoft overlay, printscreens show the same checkerboard pattern (latest nvidia driver, latest Windows 11 build - clean install, with RTX 3090). Some examples attached. When will this ever be fixed?

Attachments

• Assassin's Creed® Mirage2024-1-8-22-6-53.jpg
    Assassin's Creed® Mirage2024-1-8-22-6-53.jpg
    710.9 KB · Views: 93
  • Assassin's Creed® Mirage2024-1-8-22-7-27.jpg
    Assassin's Creed® Mirage2024-1-8-22-7-27.jpg
    452.8 KB · Views: 88
  • Assassin's Creed® Mirage2024-1-8-22-7-45.jpg
    Assassin's Creed® Mirage2024-1-8-22-7-45.jpg
    295 KB · Views: 89
Hey,

Found a game where this happens constantly so it should be fairly easy for anyone owning the game to reproduce..

(Tested 0.67v)

! You must choose a smaller resolution than what your monitor's native and run in fullscreen..
Depending on the resolution you'll get similar result.. The edges will be glitched..

1706318221689.png

This summer, it will be already two years and two gens which were riddled with this one and only ridiculous, high-impact checkerboard bug.

Hey,

Found a game where this happens constantly so it should be fairly easy for anyone owning the game to reproduce..

(Tested 0.67v)

! You must choose a smaller resolution than what your monitor's native and run in fullscreen..
Depending on the resolution you'll get similar result.. The edges will be glitched..

View attachment 331601

Nothing to do with this bug

Nothing to do with this bug
Did you try it?
Now I can't be sure but as an IT/3d designer with 30 years experience it seems extremely identical to me..
The timely pattern is similar as well like in other software it's just much more frequent..
So my guess is that probably the underlying issue is at play here as well..
If anyone else can try it would help as finding a constant way to reproduce a bug is key for solving it..
Again I can't be 100% sure for stuff like that but you shouldn't be either..

Now I can't be sure but as an IT/3d designer with 30 years experience it seems extremely identical to me..

Seems you spent that 30 years just to make a faulty assumption.

This RE project uses SDL2's D3D9 wrapper, it doesn't make use of the now known responsible Composition api at all, so it is not and cannot be the same bug.

ok mate not gonna argue with you..
But how come you haven't come up with a fix yet?
The fact that this is happening and expressed when using a specific composition API doesn't always mean that the API is solely the source of the problem.
If it was it would happen with any configuration and every single card and the problem would not exist in the first place since it would be just a simple test after compiling..

Anyway enough said.. not going to spend any more time arguing with someone who certainly knows it all.. Hope you come up with the fix as well..

Last edited:
But how come you haven't come up with a fix yet?

Microsoft already has a fix for the desktop and browser issues riding Canary, it'll t rickle back to 22h2/23h2 by the middle of the year after extensive testing (even i laughed at saying that)

PS: The CortixTH issue is due to tiled caching and replicates all the way back to windows 7.

Yeap I read about it, let's hope they fix at least some of the interface issues.. It's not in browsers only.. Apparently all applications that use electron framework.. I even get it while in video call on viber..

As for the CortixTH bug they haven't concluded as to what is causing it.. in any case a new ticket has been logged to Nvidia.. More details bellow..
[Bug] Black bars in fullscreen (NVIDIA) · Issue #2301 · CorsixTH/CorsixTH · GitHub