• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Ryzen Owners Zen Garden

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
You know, up until a recent AGESA update, sleep was completely broken on Zen 4. You'd put your computer to sleep and then seconds later it would wake back up. I wonder if that's somehow connected.
Sleep has a lot of software that breaks it that people never realise - discord for example is one of them, as it tells windows its a media player and prevents sleep from working

Browsers can do it too, so things like steam or Bnet being open on screen not only break sleep, but since they all use hardware acceleration they raise your GPU idle clocks too. Its a real PITA to make sure i quit discord before going AFK, tbh.

A single disabled device in task manager (or a yellow triangle) also breaks sleep, which screwed with some testing i was trying to resolve at one point with a virtual display driver for my VR headset

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
Processor 7800X3D┃5800X3D
Motherboard B650E PG-ITX┃X570 Impact
Cooling NH-U12A + T30┃AXP120-x67
Memory 64GB 6400CL32┃32GB 3600CL14
Video Card(s) RTX 4070 Ti Eagle┃RTX A2000
Storage 8TB of SSDs┃1TB SN550
Case Caselabs S3┃Lazer3D HT5
But if the actual SoC voltage was higher with the older BIOS, then why is my idle power consumption and temperature 5 W and 5 °C higher now? Something doesn't add up.

Quick question: What is CPU_VDDIO? I've noticed that it's 1.35 V, same as my DRAM voltage. Is that normal?

I'm pretty sure VDDIO is that new memory controller voltage. Some boards call that CPU_VDDIO or VDDIO/MC iirc. Don't know much about it, only that it usually follows VSOC but slightly lower. Reminds me a bit of VCCIO the way the default values are. If VDDIO is what I think it is, you can try dropping it in increments to see if it changes power draw.

Otherwise, MEM_VDDIO is what Ryzen Master calls VDIMM. Pleasantly, MSI seems to still be calling VDIMM DRAM Voltage, unlike Gigabyte that invented some new gobbledygook for no reason

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Sleep has a lot of software that breaks it that people never realise - discord for example is one of them, as it tells windows its a media player and prevents sleep from working

Browsers can do it too, so things like steam or Bnet being open on screen not only break sleep, but since they all use hardware acceleration they raise your GPU idle clocks too. Its a real PITA to make sure i quit discord before going AFK, tbh.

A single disabled device in task manager (or a yellow triangle) also breaks sleep, which screwed with some testing i was trying to resolve at one point with a virtual display driver for my VR headset

I always disable sleep on every build I do, I either do a pure shut down or just let it run, I usually shut down every night before bed. I always felt like sleep messed things up.

That being said Arch Linux Steam Deck is insanely good at sleep mode. It's really refreshing hitting the power button and it powers down 0.5 seconds later, and hit it again and I am in the exact same spot in the game I was at before, no loading, nothing, all fluid and instant. Steam Deck and Arch Linux SteamOS are absolute game changers and I love it

the54thvoid

Super Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
Watching all of this, I have a question:

If I buy an AM5 board, and use RAM rated at 6000(OC), how do i avoid the burn out? Or is it better to run ram at base speed until the BIOS firmware is certain to not fry the chip.

This all assuming the CPU is not overclocked.

Space Lynx

Astronaut

If I buy an AM5 board, and use RAM rated at 6000(OC), how do i avoid the burn out? Or is it better to run ram at base speed until the BIOS firmware is certain to not fry the chip.

a 6000 EXPO kit doesn't burn out the cpu, its only people who tried to manually oc their ram beyond rated speeds (turning on EXPO is fine) that experienced the burn out (this is my understanding anyway), also to my knowledge all motherboards already have the latest BIOS update fix for it, I know because I checked in last few days. as I am considering 7800x3d still myself.

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob

From AMD's mouth 1.3V SOC is safe, and you should be able to do plenty of UCLK with 1.25V or less. Unless you get exceedingly unlucky, but you're not me :)

3x0

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI MPG B550I Gaming Edge Wi-Fi ITX
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2 rev. B Noctua NF-A12x25 Edition
Memory 2x16GiB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4 3200Mb/s CL14 F4-3200C14D-32GTZKW
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon RX7800 XT Hellhound 16GiB
Storage Western Digital Black SN850 WDS100T1X0E-00AFY0 1TiB, Western Digital Blue 3D WDS200T2B0A 2TiB
Display(s) Dell G2724D 27" IPS 1440P 165Hz, ASUS VG259QM 25” IPS 1080P 240Hz
Case Cooler Master NR200P ITX
Audio Device(s) Altec Lansing 220, HyperX Cloud II
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum 750W SFX
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis Mini Wireless
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Origins Aqua
a 6000 EXPO kit doesn't burn out the cpu, its only people who tried to manually oc their ram beyond rated speeds (turning on EXPO is fine) that experienced the burn out (this is my understanding anyway), also to my knowledge all motherboards already have the latest BIOS update fix for it, I know because I checked in last few days. as I am considering 7800x3d still myself.
That's wrong, enabling EXPO 6000 rated RAM can juice the VSOC over 1.35v. Plus, the VSOC voltage is only part of the problem, but that requres more testing from 3rd parties since they haven't been upfront about all the issues.
A lot of the vendors updated the BIOS so it should be safe, as you've noted

System Name Nebulon B
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 24 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-4800
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 6750 XT 12 GB
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 2.1 speakers, AKG Y50 headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro

As I understand, update your BIOS to the latest, and/or never let your SoC voltage go above 1.3 V.

Also, watch your power consumption when PBO is enabled, as some boards seem to disable OCP with PBO for some reason.

I'm pretty sure VDDIO is that new memory controller voltage. Some boards call that CPU_VDDIO or VDDIO/MC iirc. Don't know much about it, only that it usually follows VSOC but slightly lower. Reminds me a bit of VCCIO the way the default values are. If VDDIO is what I think it is, you can try dropping it in increments to see if it changes power draw.

Otherwise, MEM_VDDIO is what Ryzen Master calls VDIMM. Pleasantly, MSI seems to still be calling VDIMM DRAM Voltage, unlike Gigabyte that invented some new gobbledygook for no reason
Ah I see. So you don't think 1.35 VDDIO is dangerous? I was wondering if it was connected to the SoC somehow, or just a fancy way of saying "DRAM voltage".

Space Lynx

Astronaut
That's wrong, enabling EXPO 6000 rated RAM can juice the VSOC over 1.35v. Plus, the VSOC voltage is only part of the problem, but that requres more testing from 3rd parties since they haven't been upfront about all the issues.
A lot of the vendors updated the BIOS so it should be safe, as you've noted

well I think I will skip this generation after all and just keep my current setup... a shame indeed...

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
well I think I will skip this generation after all and just keep my current setup... a shame indeed...
5800X3D......whatever the price is, still gets a lot more value for your money than moving to AM5 :toast:

Silver linings you know, I was on the verge of giving in to fomo when 7800X3D dropped, but AMD reassured me by blowing up some CPUs :D

Jokes aside, all the AM5 controversy doesn't change my opinion on any of the Raphael CPUs; I think the most important part is just getting to the bottom of the problem and having a certain explanation of what's actually causing it. Unfortunately no one has gotten to that point yet, it should restore a lot of confidence.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
5800X3D......whatever the price is, still gets a lot more value for your money than moving to AM5 :toast:

Silver linings you know, I was on the verge of giving in to fomo when 7800X3D dropped, but AMD reassured me by blowing up some CPUs :D

Jokes aside, all the AM5 controversy doesn't change my opinion on any of the Raphael CPUs; I think the most important part is just getting to the bottom of the problem and having a certain explanation of what's actually causing it. Unfortunately no one has gotten to that point yet, it should restore a lot of confidence.

well my irl friend still wants my 5600 for 100, so only a 30 loss there. so i will grab the 5800x3d next time it hits 299 sale. he said he doesn't mind waiting. so yeah I think that is the best path for me. looks like my 6800 xt won't sell, so a 5800x3d will pair nicely with that gpu anyway. should be a solid rig for years to come.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.

Somewhere betwen ryzen 1000 and 3000 they renamed a bunch of those voltages, and split one into two like that on AM4
It was in one of the agesa notes i read yesterday, but i have no clue which ones they were

certain explanation of what's actually causing it. Unfortunately no one has gotten to that point yet, it should restore a lot of confidence.

So far i've gotten a few solid facts from the high end techtubers

1. Some boards dump far too much power while booting, trying to get the system to boot (before the CPUs safeties kick in)
1.a. AM5 long post times at high RAM speeds might expose the CPU to that for long periods
2. Auto SoC can bug out after sleep states, going right to max values (1.8v) (May be board specific)
4. At least one sample was shown that as the CPU degraded from high SoC voltage exposure its resistance lowered, causing voltages to be even higher than expected
(Board safety features should have cut that off, but didnt)

It's like AMD assumed the board makers had OVP and OCP enabled, and the board makers assumed AMD had it covered - but in situations where the CPU wasnt fully initialised, the lack of board safeties led to CPU damage, which then led to gigabyte PSU level explosions.
How one high end premium board sent 400W to the CPU socket, when nothing on AM5 remotely approaches that wattage is a massive mystery - NOTHING on the board prevented it??

System Name Still not a thread ripper but pretty good.
Processor Ryzen 9 7950x, Thermal Grizzly AM5 Offset Mounting Kit, Thermal Grizzly Extreme Paste
Motherboard ASRock B650 LiveMixer (BIOS/UEFI version P3.08, AGESA 1.2.0.2)
Cooling EK-Quantum Velocity, EK-Quantum Reflection PC-O11, D5 PWM, EK-CoolStream PE 360, XSPC TX360
Memory Micron DDR4-5600 ECC Unbuffered Memory (2 sticks, 64GB, MTC20C2085S1EC56BD1) + JONSBO NF-1
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 5700 & EK-Quantum Vector Radeon RX 5700 +XT & Backplate
Storage Samsung 4TB 980 PRO, 2 x Optane 905p 1.5TB (striped), AMD Radeon RAMDisk
Display(s) 2 x 4K LG 27UL600-W (and HUANUO Dual Monitor Mount)
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic Black (original model)
Audio Device(s) Corsair Commander Pro for Fans, RGB, & Temp Sensors (x4)
Power Supply Corsair RM750x
Mouse Logitech M575
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2
Software Windows 10 Professional (64bit)
Benchmark Scores RIP Ryzen 9 5950x, ASRock X570 Taichi (v1.06), 128GB Micron DDR4-3200 ECC UDIMM (18ASF4G72AZ-3G2F1)
Somewhere betwen ryzen 1000 and 3000 they renamed a bunch of those voltages, and split one into two like that on AM4
It was in one of the agesa notes i read yesterday, but i have no clue which ones they were

1. Some boards dump far too much power while booting, trying to get the system to boot (before the CPUs safeties kick in)
1.a. AM5 long post times at high RAM speeds might expose the CPU to that for long periods
2. Auto SoC can bug out after sleep states, going right to max values (1.8v) (May be board specific)
4. At least one sample was shown that as the CPU degraded from high SoC voltage exposure its resistance lowered, causing voltages to be even higher than expected

It's like AMD assumed the board makers had OVP and OCP enabled, and the board makers assumed AMD had it covered - but in situations where the CPU wasnt fully initialised, the lack of board safeties led to CPU damage, which then led to gigabyte PSU level explosions.
How one high end premium board sent 400W to the CPU socket, when nothing on AM5 remotely approaches that wattage is a massive mystery - NOTHING on the board prevented it??
I feel like this is a real nightmare for AMD consumers - perhaps much worse than the memory compatibly issues in early AM4.
Ryzen X3D brand becomes Braisin 7800 X3D (as in the root word Braising - to fry (cpu) lightly and then stew it slowly in an enclosed heat spreader)

I saw a recent video der8auer has a new AM5 direct die cooling kit he is working on that seems really effective. I wonder with these AM5 issues if it becomes possible to still fry an AM5 CPU from these issues despite much better cooling. (Sorry for the umteen post edits. I shouldn't post so late a night)
1683261720611.png

Last edited:

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob

Is the bugged out 1.8V SOC actually probed though, or just HWInfo logged? HWInfo has also been logging these 2.6V max values on Vcore and VSOC, which is clearly bogus since 2.0V should just about kill CPUs instantly, regardless of current - seems like software monitoring can't be trusted on this issue.

It's a shame, really, that all this high tech goes to waste due to incompetence and unfinished firmware. I guess that's the downside to having VRMs that are overkill by orders of magnitude - without OCP, CPU's gonna die long before a heatsinked 16 x 110A SPS even overheats.

I feel like this is a real nightmare for AMD consumers - perhaps much worse than the memory compatibly issues in early AM4.
Ryzen X3D brand becomes Braisin 7800 X3D (as in the root word Braising - to fry (cpu) lightly and then stew it slowly in an enclosed heat spreader)

I saw a recent video der8auer has a new AM5 direct die cooling kit he is working on that seems really effective. I wonder with these AM5 issues if it becomes possible to still fry an AM5 CPU from these issues despite much better cooling. (Sorry for the umteen post edits. I shouldn't post so late a night)

Braisin' lmao

The direct die stuff is cool on any CPU. Unfortunately, neither SOC degradation nor the catastrophic failures are something that cooling can mitigate. All the damage is in the die or the substrate.

System Name Cumquat 2021
Processor AMD RyZen R7 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus Strix X670E - E Gaming WIFI
Cooling Deep Cool LT720 + CM MasterGel Pro TP + Lian Li Uni Fan V2
Memory 32GB GSkill Trident Z5 Neo 6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ OC RX6800 16GB DDR6 2270Cclk / 2010Mclk
Storage 1x Adata SX8200PRO NVMe 1TB gen3 x4 1X Samsung 980 Pro NVMe Gen 4 x4 1TB, 12TB of HDD Storage
Display(s) AOC 24G2 IPS 144Hz FreeSync Premium 1920x1080p
Case Lian Li O11D XL ROG edition
Audio Device(s) RX6800 via HDMI + Pioneer VSX-531 amp Technics 100W 5.1 Speaker set
Power Supply EVGA 1000W G5 Gold
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core Wired
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless
Software Windows 11 X64 PRO (build 23H2)
Benchmark Scores it sucks even more less now ;)
Is the bugged out 1.8V SOC actually probed though, or just HWInfo logged?
Yeah Steve from GN had it probed and turns out that ASUS is the biggest of the problem mobo makers to be doing stupid stuff with their high end AM5 mobo's none of them had correctly working OCP/OVP for the CPU working allowing far to much current draw before cutting it off at which point it was to late the CPU was cooked when it reached 207 degrees C

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
Yeah Steve from GN had it probed and turns out that ASUS is the biggest of the problem mobo makers to be doing stupid stuff with their high end AM5 mobo's none of them had correctly working OCP/OVP for the CPU working allowing far to much current draw before cutting it off at which point it was to late the CPU was cooked when it reached 207 degrees C

That's a different issue altogether; Asus is pushing high VSOC and many boards are further overvolting above software VSOC numbers when under load, but Mussels was referring to VSOC being bugged out and reading 1.8V after sleep (which I don't doubt for a second, given Ryzen's long history of buggy software monitoring). True application of 1.8V would kill CPU immediately - there's no time to read out a 1.8V reading anywhere in software.

Which, now that I think about it, also means my original question is incredibly stupid and answers itself, since you can't probe 1.8V out of a dead CPU any more than you can read 1.8V in HWInfo on a dead CPU :laugh:

System Name KLM
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard B-650E-E Strix
Cooling Arctic Cooling III 280
Memory 16x2 Fury Renegade 6000-32
Video Card(s) 4070-ti PNY
Storage 512+512+1+2+2+2+2+6+500+256+4+4+4
Display(s) VA 32" 4K@60 - OLED 27" 2K@240
Case 4000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Edifier 1280Ts
Power Supply Shift 1000
Mouse 502 Hero
Keyboard K68
Software EMDB
Benchmark Scores 0>1000
that means the computer is not meant to be put in sleep state (in the BIOSses actual state) ?...

... the first time i had it more than 4 hours in sleep mode (overnight, while i slept) bluetooth totally disappeared when waken-up (yellow unknown in TaskManager) and i had to shut OFF PSU for more than 12>24 hours to see it back available, even updated from 1406 to 1409 between !!

System Name Nebulon B
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Software Windows 10 Pro
that means the computer is not meant to be put in sleep state (in the BIOSses actual state) ?...
Not necessarily - the question, as I understand, is whether you're actually getting those insane VSoC numbers after sleep, or if it's just the motherboard/software reporting that's bugged.

System Name IZALITH (or just "Lith")
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D (4.2Ghz base 5.0Ghz boost, -30 PBO offset)
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master Rev 1.0
Cooling Deepcool Gammaxx AG400 Single Tower
Memory Corsair Vengeance 64GB (2x32GB) 6000MHz CL40 DDR5 XMP (XMP enabled)
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 XTX Red Devil OC 24GB
Storage 2x1TB SSD, 2x2TB SSD, 2x 8TB HDD
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G51C 27" QHD (1440p 165Hz) + Samsung Odyssey G3 24" FHD (1080p 165Hz)
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Corsair HS55 Surround Wired Headset/LG Z407 Speaker Set
Power Supply Corsair HX1000 Platinum Modular (1000W)
Mouse Corsair RGB Harpoon PRO Wired Mouse
Keyboard Corsair K60 RGB PRO Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
Software Arch Linux
Checking in, Gigabyte dropped their F10d version BIOS for the X670E AORUS Master. And based on their (poorly translated) changelog i'd say this is the one that sets the SOC limits. It's still based on AGESA 1.0.0.6 mind you.

As always, no issues with the 7700x running pure stock. I keep watching the voltages in HWInfo but nothing ever changes or causes concern. I also don't use sleep, hibernate or Fast Startup. Perhaps my default settings have avoided the mess entirely?

(Also posting a PSA here because I noticed some panic on reddit and wasn't sure if this was common knowledge: if Gigabyte take down a beta BIOS it usually means they're just going to release a new version of it. There was a thread on reddit saying Gigabyte had taken all the latest betas down because they were "unsupported". Obviously I have no inside knowledge but it's a pattern Gigabyte have followed repeatedly that I noticed.)

Processor 7800x3d
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Auros Elite AX
Cooling Custom Water
Memory GSKILL 2x16gb 6000mhz Cas 30 with custom timings
Video Card(s) MSI RX 6750 XT MECH 2X 12G OC
Storage Adata SX8200 1tb with Windows, Samsung 990 Pro 2tb with games
Display(s) HP Omen 27q QHD 165hz
Case ThermalTake P3
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex Titanium
Software Windows 11 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores CB23: 1811 / 19424 CB24: 1136 / 7687
I am testing out a swap from a 5950x to a 5800x3d. Is it normal for the 5800x3d to not have PBO settings in the bios?

3x0

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI MPG B550I Gaming Edge Wi-Fi ITX
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2 rev. B Noctua NF-A12x25 Edition
Memory 2x16GiB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4 3200Mb/s CL14 F4-3200C14D-32GTZKW
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon RX7800 XT Hellhound 16GiB
Storage Western Digital Black SN850 WDS100T1X0E-00AFY0 1TiB, Western Digital Blue 3D WDS200T2B0A 2TiB
Display(s) Dell G2724D 27" IPS 1440P 165Hz, ASUS VG259QM 25” IPS 1080P 240Hz
Case Cooler Master NR200P ITX
Audio Device(s) Altec Lansing 220, HyperX Cloud II
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum 750W SFX
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis Mini Wireless
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Origins Aqua
I am testing out a swap from a 5950x to a 5800x3d. Is it normal for the 5800x3d to not have PBO settings in the bios?
A lot of the motherboards have Curve Optimizer settings with AGESA 1207 and 1208. PPT/TDC/EDC settings only allow decreasing the values, not increasing. Make sure your BIOS is updated.

System Name Nebulon B
Software Windows 10 Pro
X3D chips don't officially support overclocking, so... I guess so.

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob

1207 doesn't change much from 1206 in functionality aside from reducing performance and fixing the fTPM bug. 1208 is where most vendors will un-hide their PBO menus again for 5800X3D. Yes, 5800X3D usually does not have access to any PBO settings pre-1208. No, you do not actually need anything from PBO other than curve optimizer.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Case Fractal Design R6
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.

View attachment 294537
sending 400W to the socket at boot would fry any CPU, AMD or intel.
The only remaining question is why the OCP and OVP didn't activate, and why this failure happend on multiple motherboard brands.

Was this an AGESA bug?
Is AMD's motherboard standards to blame?
Did the motherboard makers do this intentionally?
Do they share components from a company that lied about a components functionality?

Because most of the problems vary between the board makers, it does seem likely that AMD isn't the root cause - other than perhaps not being strict enough with board makers. Maybe they say X features must exist but can be disabled when expo or PBO is enabled, we may never know.

Is the bugged out 1.8V SOC actually probed though
probe by steve at GN, verified as 100% what happened

1.8v SoC and 400W to the CPU at boot showed SERIOUS problems with the board(s)

Checking in, Gigabyte dropped their F10d version BIOS for the X670E AORUS Master. And based on their (poorly translated) changelog i'd say this is the one that sets the SOC limits. It's still based on AGESA 1.0.0.6 mind you.

As always, no issues with the 7700x running pure stock. I keep watching the voltages in HWInfo but nothing ever changes or causes concern. I also don't use sleep, hibernate or Fast Startup. Perhaps my default settings have avoided the mess entirely?

(Also posting a PSA here because I noticed some panic on reddit and wasn't sure if this was common knowledge: if Gigabyte take down a beta BIOS it usually means they're just going to release a new version of it. There was a thread on reddit saying Gigabyte had taken all the latest betas down because they were "unsupported". Obviously I have no inside knowledge but it's a pattern Gigabyte have followed repeatedly that I noticed.)
Asus do this as well, with the final version being bumped up 1 (so beta 4401 becomes final 4402)

Not necessarily - the question, as I understand, is whether you're actually getting those insane VSoC numbers after sleep, or if it's just the motherboard/software reporting that's bugged.
hardware probed, software read 1.10v while probe said 1.8v

Processor 7800x3d
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Auros Elite AX
Cooling Custom Water
Memory GSKILL 2x16gb 6000mhz Cas 30 with custom timings
Video Card(s) MSI RX 6750 XT MECH 2X 12G OC
Storage Adata SX8200 1tb with Windows, Samsung 990 Pro 2tb with games
Display(s) HP Omen 27q QHD 165hz
Case ThermalTake P3
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex Titanium
Software Windows 11 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores CB23: 1811 / 19424 CB24: 1136 / 7687
1207 doesn't change much from 1206 in functionality aside from reducing performance and fixing the fTPM bug. 1208 is where most vendors will un-hide their PBO menus again for 5800X3D. Yes, 5800X3D usually does not have access to any PBO settings pre-1208. No, you do not actually need anything from PBO other than curve optimizer.
I am on the latest bios and don't have curve curve Optimizer either