• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TPU's Nostalgic Hardware Club

Yeah, check for it. And in overall it's a great place for ur Brits to get cheap used stuff :)

Steve (RandomGaminginHD) also uses it.
Yeah, check for it. And in overall it's a great place for ur Brits to get cheap used stuff :)

Steve (RandomGaminginHD) also uses it.
Yes i know and a 24 month guarantee,I love his videos yes he buys a lot of stuff there ,His hair is receding fast. o_O
. yesterdays video, loverly dog.:)

have not followed the CF Cards discussion, but if it's of any help, for Windows 95/98/Me/2000 builds I'm using SLC CF cards from PCEngines ( https://www.pcengines.ch/cf16slc.htm and https://www.pcengines.ch/cf8slc.htm )

https://www.pcengines.ch/order.htm (the site is a little odd to navigate at first)

If you look for SLC CF cards from "commercial" brands, if things have not changed since the last time I checked, good luck finding one for decent price (or at all)
Thanks for that a lot of info to read. :)

System Name Hotbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 110/95/110, PBO +150Mhz, CO -7,-7,-20(x6),
Motherboard ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 ITX/ax
Cooling LOBO + Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM + Corsair XR5 280mm + 2x Arctic P14
Memory 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200c14 @3800c15
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell U2711 main, AOC 24P2C secondary
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Audio Device(s) Optoma Nuforce μDAC 3
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Keychron K3/Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M w/DSA profile caps
Software Windows 10 Pro
Speaking of CF cards, does anyone know of a CF adapter for 1.8" IDE hard drives like the one used in that convertible I posted previously? It has a 60GB Toshiba 1.8" HDD with a 44-pin mini IDE interface (female connector on the drive), and I can't seem to find a suitable adapter for it. I'm rather interested in retrofitting that device with some flash storage to keep it around (though I'd need to find a way to reinstall Windows XP with all the necessary drivers for that, which is another hurdle).

Speaking of CF cards, does anyone know of a CF adapter for 1.8" IDE hard drives like the one used in that convertible I posted previously? It has a 60GB Toshiba 1.8" HDD with a 44-pin mini IDE interface (female connector on the drive), and I can't seem to find a suitable adapter for it. I'm rather interested in retrofitting that device with some flash storage to keep it around (though I'd need to find a way to reinstall Windows XP with all the necessary drivers for that, which is another hurdle).
The only 44 pin ones i can see on eBay are 2.5.The 1.8 ones are 50 pin.

Ruru

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero
Cooling Arctic Freezer 50, GPU with custom loop
Memory 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) Asus GeForce RTX 3080 TUF OC 10GB
Storage 256+240+128+480+2x1TB SSDs + 3TB HDDs
Display(s) 27" 4K120 IPS + 32" 4K60 IPS + 24" 1080p144
Case Corsair 4000D Airflow White
Audio Device(s) Corsair HS35
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse Logitech MX518 + Asus TUF P1 mousepad
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis
Didn't older iPods use that format too?

The Ipod ones were 50 pin on eBay.

Is it possible to make an internel card reader into an external one?
can i get a lead that converts the connection that goes in to the reader to a usb lead ?do they do such a lead?"
Something else i thought of doing was to take the motherboard out of the PC there are only four conecters plus the fan conecter, The is the one i showed you on here with the bent pins on the CPU unit.So much dust in there with my newly cleaner Magnifying glass o_OI thought there were more connections on a mother board.All that dust there in there. yuk thats gross :fear: .I don,t have a soldering iron so if is posible to get a usb cable to whatever connection it is on the card reader it would be nice.:)I have just taken an old usb lead and can,t beleave it shows no conections like ir does on his. :(It took a lot to get lead like it is in the photo:(Ten pound for that lead is a total rip off o_OThabks for putting it on anyway.:)I should have cut it away from the conecter.. :(

Attachments

• DSC00473.JPG
    DSC00473.JPG
    5.7 MB · Views: 52
  • DSC00474.JPG
    DSC00474.JPG
    5.4 MB · Views: 44
  • DSC00475.JPG
    DSC00475.JPG
    6.8 MB · Views: 50
  • DSC00476.JPG
    DSC00476.JPG
    6.3 MB · Views: 44
  • DSC00477.JPG
    DSC00477.JPG
    5.9 MB · Views: 44
Last edited:
System Name Hotbox
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 Pro
The Ipod ones were 50 pin on eBay.

Is it possible to make an internel card reader into an external one?
can i get a lead that converts the connection that goes in to the reader to a usb lead ?do they do such a lead?"
Something else i thought of doing was to take the motherboard out of the PC there are only four conecters plus the fan conecter, The is the one i showed you on here with the bent pins on the CPU unit.So much dust in there with my newly cleaner Magnifying glass o_OI thought there were more connections on a mother board.All that dust there in there. yuk thats gross :fear: .I don,t have a soldering iron so if is posible to get a usb cable to whatever connection it is on the card reader it would be nice.:)
Looks to me like the card reader has the same USB 2.0 header as you'd find on a motherboard, which would mean it's easily converted to a regular USB 2.0 cable with an adapter like this. There is one issue though: that 9-pin connector carries two USB 2.0 lanes, so you might need two cables for every port on the reader to work.

A cable (or two) like this should do the trick though:

That's a 5-pin, which will fit half of that connector. You'll also find variants with a 9-pin internal connector, however AFAIK those just leave half the pins not connected to anything, as the regular USB 2.0 connector has insufficient data lanes to connect all the pins.

The only 44 pin ones i can see on eBay are 2.5.The 1.8 ones are 50 pin.
Taking a second look at the drive, an interesting discovery: the drive itself has a 50-pin connector, but the flex cable connected to it leaves off the 6 pins on one side. And, taking a second look at those 50-pin adapters, they seem to actually leave 6 pins off to one side disconnected! Seems I have my solution, which is that 50=44.

An even simpler solution - if the BIOS supports it! - is that the laptop actually has a CF card slot built in! Eh ... yeah. I kind of thought that was an expansion card slot? Yep, I'm an idiot. Cant check for BIOS options until I've put it all back together though. Then the next challenge becomes getting my hands on a suitable CF card, plus either getting my hands on an USB-installable XP image with the required drivers baked in or figuring out how to bypass the password on the current install (WXP Enterprise with a domain login, sadly nobody remembers the password).

Hopefully @lexluthermiester can help with which setting that made ME run its best. It's been so long I don't remember them all. There were only about 5 main tweaks that made ME run really well.
I can make a guide in a new thread if you'd all like.

Is that because the cheapest cards want last as long or because they will fail?
Yes, they tend to fail sooner and do not perform as well.
you prefer to go for a branded card?
Yes. Lexar, SanDisk, Verbatim, Toshiba, Transcend, Axiom, Dane-Elec, Kingston or even Kodak.
The sanDisk ones are mostly refurbished thats what i would go for ,the new ones are far to expensive.
No, don't do refurbished, buy new! Amazon is a great place to find 32GB cards from brand names for a reasonable price.

Last edited:
I can make a guide in a new thread if you'd all like.

Yes, they tend to fail sooner and do not perform as well.

Yes. Lexar, SanDisk, Verbatim, Toshiba, Transcend, Axiom, Dane-Elec, Kingston or even Kodak.

No don't do referbished, buy new! Amazon is a great place to find 2GB cards from brand names for a reasonable price.
Yes that would be nice Lex :)Thats all the top names you have covered

System Name Star Platinum
Processor Intel Core i5-3470 3.20GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte B75M-D3H
Cooling EKL
Memory 16GB DDR3-1600
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX650 1GB GDDR5
Storage 2x Seagate ST31000340NS 1TB SATA II
Display(s) Samsung 43 inch
Case Delux MG760
Audio Device(s) Realtek High Definition Audio + X-Fi XtremeGamer SB0730
Power Supply FSP Bluestorm II 500W
Mouse ASUS RoG Cerberus mouse
Keyboard Marvo KM400 keyboard
Software Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 1809
3rd build I've been doing maintenance and fixing up. Had to soup up the ASTI LC-200C PSU a bit, replace molex wiring as it was crummy as all hell (the AT plugs were fine, it was the HDD/floppy ones that were absolute garbage) and do some power upgrades.

Specs:
Cybernet/CSX 917D AT case
ASTI LC-200C 200W PSU (modified internally and restored wiring)
ASUS DRW-1814BL white DVD-RW
Luckytech P5MVP3 mobo
AMD K6-II+ 500MHz (stock 500MHz part, not downclocked 570 as most people were used to.)
STB/3dfx Voodoo 3 3000 16MB AGP TV-Out
Realtek RTL8139C NIC
NEC USB2.0 PCI card
Labway/Yamaha YMF-719 ISA soundcard
Win 98 SE 4.10.2222A + KEX 4.52 + NUSB3.6

Looks to me like the card reader has the same USB 2.0 header as you'd find on a motherboard, which would mean it's easily converted to a regular USB 2.0 cable with an adapter like this. There is one issue though: that 9-pin connector carries two USB 2.0 lanes, so you might need two cables for every port on the reader to work.

A cable (or two) like this should do the trick though:

That's a 5-pin, which will fit half of that connector. You'll also find variants with a 9-pin internal connector, however AFAIK those just leave half the pins not connected to anything, as the regular USB 2.0 connector has insufficient data lanes to connect all the pins.

Taking a second look at the drive, an interesting discovery: the drive itself has a 50-pin connector, but the flex cable connected to it leaves off the 6 pins on one side. And, taking a second look at those 50-pin adapters, they seem to actually leave 6 pins off to one side disconnected! Seems I have my solution, which is that 50=44.

An even simpler solution - if the BIOS supports it! - is that the laptop actually has a CF card slot built in! Eh ... yeah. I kind of thought that was an expansion card slot? Yep, I'm an idiot. Cant check for BIOS options until I've put it all back together though. Then the next challenge becomes getting my hands on a suitable CF card, plus either getting my hands on an USB-installable XP image with the required drivers baked in or figuring out how to bypass the password on the current install (WXP Enterprise with a domain login, sadly nobody remembers the password).
My one is the same as the one the guy has in the video. o_O

System Name Hotbox
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 Pro
My one is the same as the one the guy has in the video. o_O
From what I could see the video never shows the back of their reader clearly, however it looked like there was an integrated USB cable with strain relief on the back of their reader. If the second photo you attached to your previous post was the back of the card reader (which it looks like), then that looks like a standard internal USB 2.0 header, and you can attach it to any PC through an adapter cable like the one I linked.

From what I could see the video never shows the back of their reader clearly, however it looked like there was an integrated USB cable with strain relief on the back of their reader. If the second photo you attached to your previous post was the back of the card reader (which it looks like), then that looks like a standard internal USB 2.0 header, and you can attach it to any PC through an adapter cable like the one I linked.
It is working as you can see but sellotaped as you as you can see.o_O Ir is a Bodged job i know but i have proved a point.:)
I will have to get a soldering iron.For some reason the light is not showing in the photo, s o_O

Attachments

• DSC00480.JPG
    DSC00480.JPG
    6.3 MB · Views: 49
  • DSC00481.JPG
    DSC00481.JPG
    6.2 MB · Views: 49
  • DSC00482.JPG
    DSC00482.JPG
    6 MB · Views: 48
Last edited:

Ruru

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
It is working as you can see but sellotaped as you as you can see.o_O Ir is a Bodged job i know but i have proved a point.:)
I will have to get a soldering iron.For some reason the light is not showing in the photo, s o_O
Soldering is nice in general if you just know what to do. :)

edit: paid that 290X. :)

Last edited:
Thanks for that. :)But i want need it now as the Pc i bought on eBay is not working no light s on in the machine nothing.:(Good job i checked to see if it was working before
i bought that lead.:)This was the first time i tried the PC today.

I want need to now anyway as the PC i got on eBAY is sad;y not working.:(

Who would not know how to solder o_O

Data cabal for some reason this cabal want fit in after the power cabal is put in.but the data cabal will go in with out the power cabal?Do they sell a thiner angled data cabal?
It has to be angled.I did have a cabal for it before but i was swoping out cabals a couple seen to have got broken.The non angled will fit in with the power cabal.

Attachments

• DSC00486.JPG
    DSC00486.JPG
    6.4 MB · Views: 51
  • DSC00487.JPG
    DSC00487.JPG
    6.1 MB · Views: 48
Last edited:
System Name Hotbox
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 Pro
Data cabal for some reason this cabal want fit in after the power cabal is put in.but the data cabal will go in with out the power cabal?Do they sell a thiner angled data cabal?
It has to be angled.
Really hard to see as the pictures are out of focus sadly, but they really shouldn't be interfering - spacing between those connectors is standardized after all, and all cables should be compliant to that standard.

Really hard to see as the pictures are out of focus sadly, but they really shouldn't be interfering - spacing between those connectors is standardized after all, and all cables should be compliant to that standard.
Sorry about the pictures o_Othe straight ones go in fine as you can see Hope it is a better photo:)

Attachments

• DSC00488.JPG
    DSC00488.JPG
    6.5 MB · Views: 60
Last edited:
System Name Main W10
Processor i7 2700K
Motherboard Gig Z77 HD4
Cooling Xigmatech Tower Cooler
Memory 16 GB G-Skill 1600Mhz
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX 1080ti 11GB
Storage WD Gold 2 TB HD
Display(s) Acer 27" 1440P
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro
Audio Device(s) JDS Labs Element DAC/AMP
Power Supply Rosewill Hive 650 watt
Mouse MX 518
Keyboard Cherry 3000 with Blues
If you really want to learn about the 8" Floppy Disc Drive...

Attachments

• maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 30
Adrian Black knows his craft! Love his channel!

To anyone on here is it right that the *Power Led* and *GND* connectors do not need to be connected?They were not connected when i received the PC.People on here said they don,t need to be.If you can confirm this i will send the PC back for a refund.
Having the *Power Led *would not stop the PC from working would it?

stinger608

Dedicated TPU Cruncher & Folder
System Name Dean Machine/2020 Ryzenfall
Processor Intel 4790K/AMD Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard MSI 1150 Gaming mATX/Asus ROG STRIX B550-F Gaming Wifi
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED/SilverStone AH240 AIO
Memory 16 gigs Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer/32 gigs G.Skill TridentZ NEO DDR4
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 1660 Super/EVGA GTX 1080 FTW Hybrid Gaming
Storage Crucial SSD 256 and 2TB spinner/Dual Samsung 980 Pro M2 NVME 4.0
Display(s) Overlord 27" 2560 x 1440
Case Corsair Air 540
Audio Device(s) On board
Power Supply Seasonic modular 850 watt Platinum/EVGA T2-850 Titanium
Software Windows 10 Pro/Windows 10 Pro
No, the Power Led is just what it says. It's just the wire to turn the Led on when the power button is pushed.

If that system is not working, I'd just send it back for a refund.

System Name Vengeance-C
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Asrock B450M Pro4 mATX
Cooling BeQuiet Shadow Rock TF2
Memory 48GB (2x16GB / 2x8GB) DDR4-3600 Ballistix
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 6600 (Swift 210)
Storage Samsun 970 Evo Plus 1TB Nvme / Crucial MX500 1TB M.2 SSD
Display(s) Acer Nitro XZ342CK 34" 1500R Curved WQHD (3440 x 1440)
Case Fractal Design Define Mini-C
Audio Device(s) Creative AE-5 Plus PCIe
Power Supply SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 550w
Mouse steelseries Rival 100
Keyboard Saitek Eclipse III
Software Windows 11 Pro & Fedora via Hyper-V
Finally got around to working on my Alienware M9700 laptop i got to replace my XP desktop my wife made me get rid of. It has some issues and suffered from a liquid spill on the keyboard, but it is up and running.

Attachments

• KIMG0099.JPG
    KIMG0099.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 42

Ruru

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
No, the Power Led is just what it says. It's just the wire to turn the Led on when the power button is pushed.

If that system is not working, I'd just send it back for a refund.
I sent a message to the seller this is what he said
*I'm just catching up on my eBay (I am an amateur seller and do not have 24-hr support)
Sorry to hear of your disappointment - can you please confirm that the rocker switch on the rear panel is set to I and not 0, ie. set to the 'on' position
The fact that you have had absolutely no signs of life from the machine made me want to check this seemingly obvious detail
The machine left my workshop tested and 100% functional so I am a little concerned*
My reply
Yes it was i confirm that.. You can never tell how the delivery person is going to treat the parcel,I can see why people say collection only with Pc ,s and other heavy electrical goods.If i was selling stuff like that i would do collection only. Quote from you the seller
*The machine left my workshop tested and 100% functional *
Well it was not working when i tried it nothing at all as i said in the message to you.
Does he think i am so kind of idiot that i can,t tell the off switch from the on one? :(

Last edited: