• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Turning a RX580 2048SP into a RX570 for MacOS support

blackCH

Hello! My first post here...

Im trying to turn one of those chinese RX580 2048SP 8GB cards into a RX570, to make it run in MacOS. Apparently MacOS does not work with the BIOS shipped in the card (no HW acceleration). The card has 8Gb GDDR5 Micron chips and the main chip is the 215-0910052 (which I belive is the vary same as the regular RX570 cards). It has one DVI, one HDMI and one DP port.

I've tried flashing multiple BIOSes from the database (always looking for the ones that support Micron memory), but I only got black screens so far. Im using an CH341A programmer with a clip attached directly to the chip. I was able to read and reflash the original BIOS so I assume the flashing process is OK, and I just need to find a suitable BIOS.

Ive not been able to upload the original BIOS to the database but, for reference, this RX580 2048SP BIOS works on my card: https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/252325/252325

If someone has any suggestion about what RX570 BIOS could work it'll be great.

Thanks!

alkin

Hello! What memory is used in your video card? You can see it in Techpowerap - advanced

blackCH

Hi, its Micron memory, 8Gb.

Unfortunately I dont have windows installed (so no Techpowerup utility) but I think I can get most of the details needed from the BIOS dump itself.

I could try installing windows if is absolutely necessary though.

System Name ICE-QUAD // ICE-CRUNCH
Processor Q6600 // 2x Xeon 5472
Memory 2GB DDR // 8GB FB-DIMM
Video Card(s) HD3850-AGP // FireGL 3400
Display(s) 2 x Samsung 204Ts = 3200x1200
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Software Windows Server 2003 R2 as a Workstation now migrated to W10 with regrets.
Just skimming this issue, but what I understand is:
Apple provides native support for the RX 570 / RX 580 / Vega cards as of High Sierra 10.13.4.
Which means if MacOS is not liking your RX580, because of some unique Apple BIOS setting/flag that is missing, then a RX570 bios will also not work, because it will also miss this unique Apple bios setting/flag.
You need to find a RX580 bios that is compatible with Apple. Surely that's easier than finding a RX570 bios that is compatible with Apple, and then dealing with 570-->580 issues. Putting a non-Apple but micron memory RX570 bios on your RX580 will take you no further forward.

It is worth trying to get the GPU to work in an external box, first, and then, decide on next steps?

alkin

a little wrong for, poppy os is needed Device ID 67DF, but in your video card Device ID 6FDF. And you need to flash the BIOS from 570, otherwise the device ID will not change

blackCH

Just skimming this issue, but what I understand is:
Apple provides native support for the RX 570 / RX 580 / Vega cards as of High Sierra 10.13.4.
Which means if MacOS is not liking your RX580, because of some unique Apple BIOS setting/flag that is missing, then a RX570 bios will also not work, because it will also miss this unique Apple bios setting/flag.
You need to find a RX580 bios that is compatible with Apple. Surely that's easier than finding a RX570 bios that is compatible with Apple, and then dealing with 570-->580 issues.
The problem seems to be the MacOS does not like the BIOS shipped with these RX580 2048SP.

These cards are not really a RX580 but a RX570 with a higher clock. The chips used on these are the same used on the RX570 so a regular RX580 BIOS will not work (real RX580 uses a different piece of silicon).

I've seen over the internet that once these cards are flashed with a compatible RX570 they will fully work on MacOS. Most of the information I've found is about cards with Samsung memory but mine has Micron memory. So far I've not found a compatible BIOS...

Last edited:
System Name ICE-QUAD // ICE-CRUNCH
Processor Q6600 // 2x Xeon 5472
Memory 2GB DDR // 8GB FB-DIMM
Video Card(s) HD3850-AGP // FireGL 3400
Display(s) 2 x Samsung 204Ts = 3200x1200
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Software Windows Server 2003 R2 as a Workstation now migrated to W10 with regrets.
OK - I can see this is a tricky situation. Good luck!

blackCH

a little wrong for, poppy os is needed Device ID 67DF, but in your video card Device ID 6FDF. And you need to flash the BIOS from 570, otherwise the device ID will not change

Is possible to spoof the device ID with the bootloader so the OS sees "67DF" but still you wont get HW acceleration because the 2048SP BIOS is crap. Thats why a good standard RX570 BIOS is needed

Putting a non-Apple but micron memory RX570 bios on your RX580 will take you no further forward.

It is worth trying to get the GPU to work in an external box, first, and then, decide on next steps?

At the moment Im trying the flashing on a PC (otherwise, like you say, I wont get any image with a non-apple bios). Once I get a bios that work (if Im able to find one) I'll move the card to my mac pro and work my way there.

Actually I have a Razor ePci box I could try with. Good idea

Last edited:

alkin

It's possible to change the device ID using the bootloader so that the OS sees "67DF", but you still don't use HW acceleration because BIOS 2048SP is crap. That's why you need a good standard RX570 BIOS.

At the moment I'm trying to flash on a PC (otherwise, as you say, I won't get an image with bios, unlike Apple). Once I get the bios that works (if I find it), I'll move the map to my Mac Pro and work there.

I actually have a Razor ePci box that I can try with. Good idea
I had the same problem and I solved it by flashing the BIOS of the video card and bios 2048 is normal in windows everything is fine with it

I had the same problem and I solved it by flashing the BIOS of the video card
I had the same problem and I solved it by flashing the BIOS of the video card and BIOS 2048 is normal in Windows, everything is fine with it
I generally flashed the BIOS from msi 470 and everything works, and since the chip is just 570, it is displayed as rx570

Last edited by a moderator:

blackCH

I had the same problem and I solved it by flashing the BIOS of the video card and bios 2048 is normal in windows everything is fine with it

I generally flashed the BIOS from msi 470 and everything works, and since the chip is just 570, it is displayed as rx570

Thanks, I'll try with some 470 bioses. What memory does your card have?

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Pro
Cooling Some cheap tower cooler, I dunno
Memory 32GB 1866-DDR3 ECC
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600XT
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Display(s) ASUS Pro Art 27"
Case Antec P7 Neo

blackCH

Have you tried using OpenCore and the lilu and whatevergreen kexts? You'd also get boot screens.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/opencore-on-the-mac-pro.2207814
Yes. I have OpenCore installed to be able to run newer OS versions (and non-apple Pcie cards, etc). I also have an x99 hackintosh which is actualy what Im using right now for flashing and testing.

The thing is if you use the card with the stock BIOS (as it comes from factory) there is no driver loading on macos. You only get VESA mode

If you spoof the Device ID (67DF) though opencore the driver loads but still there is no HW acceleration.

Theres it quite a few videos on youtube about getting these 2048SP cards properly working with macos, but for some reason it does not work with the particular model I have...

alkin

Thanks, I'll try with some 470 bios. What memory does your card have?
I have a Samsung K4G80325FC

Here is the bios https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/188144/msi-rx470-8192-160822 another bios from 570 came up to me, but it did not work for him DP

https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/207334/asrock-rx570-8192-180330 you can try this

blackCH

Hector_BR

hello...
I'm going through the same dilemma
I'm using a "lexindar (1xDP, 1xHDMI, 1xDVI) (https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/254086/254086)"
I found several vbios that "work" however, the video outputs are scrambled
I had some partial success using the Asus vbios, series 570 "STRIX (https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/197590/asus-rx570-4096-170406)", but only the DVI output works correct,
it is working perfectly on macOS Monterey/Ventura
look for something that matches your memories and try
I'm trying to figure out how to "remap" the outputs by editing the vbios, but it's hard for me :(
Please, if you have any news, post here :)

Attachments

• ss_gpu.gif
    ss_gpu.gif
    25.2 KB · Views: 526
  • Captura de Tela 2023-04-17 às 20.12.47.png
    Captura de Tela 2023-04-17 às 20.12.47.png
    118.3 KB · Views: 516
Last edited:

blackCH

hello...
I'm going through the same dilemma
I'm using a "lexindar (1xDP, 1xHDMI, 1xDVI) (https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/254086/254086)"
I found several vbios that "work" however, the video outputs are scrambled
I had some partial success using the Asus vbios, series 570 "STRIX (https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/197590/asus-rx570-4096-170406)", but only the DVI output works correct,
it is working perfectly on macOS Monterey/Ventura
look for something that matches your memories and try
I'm trying to figure out how to "remap" the outputs by editing the vbios, but it's hard for me :(
Please, if you have any news, post here :)

At some point I thought there might be a mismatched output configuration, because with many bioses I get the computer booting and I can see there is HD activity, just no video output.

For Nvidia cards you could inject the NVCAP value to override the bios port configuration. I dont know if for Radeon cards there is something similar...

I've looked at the RED bios editor and the Radeon bios editor but they are mainly for adjusting clock/voltages...

Do you know about any utility that will allow editing Radeon BIOS parameters (other that clock and voltages)?

Last edited:

alkin

Thanks, I'll try asrock bios this week. I also downloaded a bunch of other bios to check out...

I found on the website of the manufacturer of my card a sapphire that is visually mine with the same number of pins, looked at what frequencies it had and found a BIOS that is identical in frequency and video memory, I have 1284 MHz and there is 1254. And in undefined BIOS files. And everything worked great for me. The previous BIOS from 470 also worked, but in the furmark test, the chip frequency did not rise and remained at a minimum. The new bios works great! As I understand it, the Chinese buy px 570 cards and flash them with bios from px580. For a better sale. find the manufacturer of yours and find the type of yours by ports.

At some point I thought that there might be an inappropriate output configuration, because with many bios the computer boots up and I see that there is HD activity but no video output.

For Nvidia cards, you can enter the NVCAP value to override the BIOS port configuration. I don't know if there's something like that for Radeon cards...

I've looked at the BIOS RED Editor and the Radeon BIOS Editor, but they're mostly for frequency/voltage tuning...

Are you aware of any utility that will allow you to edit Radeon BIOS settings (except frequency and voltage)?
Send photos, maps and screenshots

Hector_BR

At some point I thought there might be a mismatched output configuration, because with many bioses I get the computer booting and I can see there is HD activity, just no video output.

For Nvidia cards you could inject the NVCAP value to override the bios port configuration. I dont know if for Radeon cards there is something similar...

I've looked at the RED bios editor and the Radeon bios editor but they are mainly for adjusting clock/voltages...

Do you know about any utility that will allow editing Radeon BIOS parameters (other that clock and voltages)?
Good morning (in Brazil)....

Unfortunately no, only the standard apps that exist, and hex editors.. :(

I had even given up on this adventure, however, what gave me hope to continue in this endeavor was precisely the "Clover" of the hack...

I was playing with some parameters to try to "inject" a new configuration in the video outputs and I found the several existing "framebuffers" in the apple driver...

It was studying about, that I found the app "radeon_bios_decode (https://github.com/al3xtjames/radeon_bios_decode)", this app apparently reads the vbios file, detects the video outputs, and where they "are", to inject this information on Clover/Opencore...

So, I think, if the app "does this", maybe it's possible, and it gave me new hope to discover "where" the app finds this data in the vbios, and try to edit it, or merge it between the vbios original 6FDF and the desired vbios 67DF...

the source was " https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ebuffers-for-high-sierra-using-clover.235409/ "

I found on the website of the manufacturer of my card a sapphire that is visually mine with the same number of pins, looked at what frequencies it had and found a BIOS that is identical in frequency and video memory, I have 1284 MHz and there is 1254. And in undefined BIOS files. And everything worked great for me. The previous BIOS from 470 also worked, but in the furmark test, the chip frequency did not rise and remained at a minimum. The new bios works great! As I understand it, the Chinese buy px 570 cards and flash them with bios from px580. For a better sale. find the manufacturer of yours and find the type of yours by ports.

пришлите фото карты и скриншоты
Hello... :)

Thank you for your attention.....

In my case, the manufacturer is "Lexindar", and it's very "generic"...

Apparently it only produces these "refurbished" boards, which, by the way, appear to be very well built, and I haven't found any vbios from this manufacturer that have the id "67DF" (to work on MacOS).

Believe me, I tested dozens of vbios until I reached the ones from "Asus Strix" that partially work on this board with this output configuration (1xDVI, 1xDP, 1xHDMI)...

Anyway, I continue the fight to make this board 100% functional on Windows and Mac... :)

Last edited:

alkin

Good morning (in Brazil)....

Unfortunately not, only existing standard applications and hexadecimal editors.:(

I even gave up this adventure, but it was the "Clover" of the hack that gave hope for the continuation of this undertaking ...

I've been playing around with some options to try to "inject" the new configuration into the video outputs, and I've found a few existing "frameshoes" in Apple's driver...

I researched that I found the application "radeon_bios_decode ( https://github.com/al3xtjames/radeon_bios_decode )", this application apparently reads the vbios file, determines the video outputs and where they "are" to enter this information about Clover/Opencore...

So, I think that if an application "does it", maybe it is possible, and it gave me new hope of discovering "where" the application finds this data in vbios and try to edit it or merge it between the original vbios. 6FDF and the desired vbios 67DF...

The source was " https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ebuffers-for-high-sierra-using-clover.235409/ "

Hello...:)

Thank you for your attention.....

In my case, the manufacturer is "Leksindar", and it is very "universal" ...

Apparently it only makes these "refurbished" boards, which by the way look very well built and I didn't find any vbios from this manufacturer with the ID "67DF" (to work on MacOS).

Believe me, I tried dozens of vbios until I got to those from "Asus Strix" that partially work on this board with this output configuration (1xDVI, 1xDP, 1xHDMI) ...

Either way, I keep fighting to make this board work 100% on Windows and Mac...:)
good luck

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Enermax ETX-T50RGB
Memory CL16 BL2K16G36C16U4RL 3600 1:1 micron e-die
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3070 Ti GAMING OC
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Display(s) LG Ultra Gear 32 1440p 165hz Dell 1440p 75hz
Case Phanteks P300 /w 300A front panel conversion
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus+ Platinum 750W
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Software Windows 11 +startisallback
if you are building a hack then you should be-able to work around this with clover

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64

Others found only have hynix, samsung, or Micron HF ram, not HFB.

@Imperator give the guide please.

The problem seems to be the MacOS does not like the BIOS shipped with these RX580 2048SP.

These cards are not really a RX580 but a RX570 with a higher clock. The chips used on these are the same used on the RX570 so a regular RX580 BIOS will not work (real RX580 uses a different piece of silicon).

I've seen over the internet that once these cards are flashed with a compatible RX570 they will fully work on MacOS. Most of the information I've found is about cards with Samsung memory but mine has Micron memory. So far I've not found a compatible BIOS...
A RX570 is a SP disabled RX 580.

blackCH

if you are building a hack then you should be-able to work around this with clover
Yes, you can spoof the device ID to get the driver to load, but with the current vbios there will be no HW acceleration. You could even inject a complete bios with Clover/Opencore but first I need to find one that works with my card (probably is easier to flash it though).

Others found only have hynix, samsung, or Micron HF ram, not HFB.

@Imperator give the guide please.

A RX570 is a SP disabled RX 580.

Thanks! I believe those bioses are very similar to the one in my card because the device ID (6FDF) is the same, so probably they will behave the same. From what I've read over the net, I need a rx570/RX470 dev ID 67DF bios to get it to work under MacOS... That being said I will try those bioses too and see the results.

Is far as I know (and Im completely new with this) the code on the ASIC of my card (215-0910052) correspond to a RX570 with 2048 sp whereas the "real" RX580 (2304 sp) ASIC code is 215-0910038. Im assuming a regular RX580 bios will not work on this card. Am I right?

Last edited:
System Name Gaming1 / Office 2
Processor Intel i7 7700k@4.8ghz / Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard MSI 270 SLI PLUS / MSI MAG X570S - TOMAHAWK MAX WIFI
Cooling ID-Cooling Frostflow X 120 - Liquid / ID-Cooling SE-903 V2
Memory 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600 Black / 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro SL - 3600Mhz
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5700XT THICC III Ultra 8GB / XFX RX 6600XT 8GB
Storage 1st : 1x SSD Samsung 870 Evo 1Tb + 4x SAS HDD in RAID / 2nd : 1 Tb SSD Nvme Samsung 970 EVO PLUS
Display(s) 2x Dell 3008 WFP
Case CoolerMaster HAF 932 / GENESIS IRID 300
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster XFI / Onboard
Power Supply Thermaltake Smart RGB 700W / Thermaltake Smart RGB 700W
Mouse Logitech G502 HERO / Logitech G5
Keyboard Dell SmartCard Reader SK 3205 / Dell SmartCard Reader SK 3205
Software 1st - Win 10 Pro X64 / Win 7 X86 / Ubuntu / 2nd - Windows 11 Pro x64
Hello.
Here you have a short guide:

and recover guide :

Hector_BR

Yes, you can spoof the device ID to load the driver, but with current vbios there will be no HW acceleration. You can even inject a full bios with Clover/Opencore, but first I need to find one that works with my board (it's probably easier to do the flash).

Thank you! I believe these bioses are very similar to the one on my board because the device ID (6FDF) is the same, so they will probably behave the same way. From what I read on the net, I need a bios rx570/RX470 dev ID 67DF to make it work on MacOS ... That said, I'll also try these bioses and see the results.

As far as I know (and I'm completely new to this) the code in my card's ASIC (215-0910052) corresponds to an RX570 with 2048 sp while the "real" ASIC code RX580 (2304 sp) is 215-0910038. I'm assuming a regular RX580 BIOS won't work on this board. Am I right?
By any chance, have you tried to do "the other way around"..?? try to change the original bios id 6FDF to id 67DF..?? I tried, and it didn't work...