• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Turning a RX580 2048SP into a RX570 for MacOS support

blackCH

Gracias....
Eso es lo que estoy tratando de probar, pero puse lo siguiente en el desplazamiento 0xD4, que en teoría es de un RX580 (580: F0 7D E6 07) y sigue apareciendo una vez que se flashea el BIOS, que es un RX570.
What you can do is to leave the original BIOS on the card, which works with Windows, and load the first 64k of the modded BIOS though OpenCore (with ATY,bin_image property).

rtrampox

What you can do is to leave the original BIOS on the card, which works with Windows, and load the first 64k of the modded BIOS though OpenCore (with ATY,bin_image property).
Is there any tutorial on the internet that i can follow to do this? Since when i switched the bios, it worked flawlessly on macOS, but in Windows, it felt really different from the original one.

For those that are having trouble in Windows after modifying the bios, search on the internet for 'AMD/ATI Pixel Clock Patcher' and run it in Windows, and install all the drivers and your GPU will work normally.

blackCH

Is there any tutorial on the internet that i can follow to do this? Since when i switched the bios, it worked flawlessly on macOS, but in Windows, it felt really different from the original one.

For those that are having trouble in Windows after modifying the bios, search on the internet for 'AMD/ATI Pixel Clock Patcher' and run it in Windows, and install all the drivers and your GPU will work normally.
I havent tryed myself (as I do not use Windows) but WhateverGreen.kext is supposed to allow Radeon VBIOS injection, either with SSDT file or "device property" within the bootloader. Do a search with "ATY, bin_image", you'll get some results:

Notice that you must inject only the first 64k of the modded BIOS binary, as I mentioned before. The most challenging part seems to be converting the binary into the right data format for injection which is, each byte must be separated by a comma and preceded with "0x". For example:

55aa75e9 = 0x55, 0xaa, 0x75, 0xe9

You probably need to create a script to convert the file, because doing it "by hand" would be crazy.

Of course, you would also need to reflash the original BIOS back into the card.

Ok, here is a python script that would do the convertion.
First you need to open the modded BIOS in hexfiend (or other hex editor), copy the first 64k (65536 bytes) into a new file. Then copy the HEX representation of the binary and paste it in a new plain text file (use macos textedit or similar). Then use the following script to convert the data:

Code:
input_file_path = "./input_file.txt"
output_file_path = "./output_file.txt"

# Read the contents of the input file
with open(input_file_path, "r") as input_file:
    original_string = input_file.read().replace("\n", "")

# Apply the conversion formula
result = ", 0x".join(original_string[i:i+2] for i in range(0, len(original_string), 2))
result = "0x" + result

# Write the converted string to the output file
with open(output_file_path, "w") as output_file:
    output_file.write(result)

Then copy the resulting text data into a SSDT file (or a device property entry)

Last edited:

rtrampox

I havent tryed myself (as I do not use Windows) but WhateverGreen.kext is supposed to allow Radeon VBIOS injection, either with SSDT file or "device property" within the bootloader. Do a search with "ATY, bin_image", you'll get some results:

Notice that you must inject only the first 64k of the modded BIOS binary, as I mentioned before. The most challenging part seems to be converting the binary into the right data format for injection which is, each byte must be separated by a comma and preceded with "0x". For example:

55aa75e9 = 0x55, 0xaa, 0x75, 0xe9

You probably need to create a script to convert the file, because doing it "by hand" would be crazy.

Of course, you would also need to reflash the original BIOS back into the card.

Ok, here is a python script that would do the convertion.
First you need to open the modded BIOS in hexfiend (or other hex editor), copy the first 64k (65536 bytes) into a new file. Then copy the HEX representation of the binary and paste it in a new plain text file (use macos textedit or similar). Then use the following script to convert the data:

Code:
input_file_path = "./input_file.txt"
output_file_path = "./output_file.txt"

# Read the contents of the input file
with open(input_file_path, "r") as input_file:
    original_string = input_file.read().replace("\n", "")

# Apply the conversion formula
result = ", 0x".join(original_string[i:i+2] for i in range(0, len(original_string), 2))
result = "0x" + result

# Write the converted string to the output file
with open(output_file_path, "w") as output_file:
    output_file.write(result)

Then copy the resulting text data into a SSDT file (or a device property entry)
Thank you, i’ll try that later, and if it work i will let you know.

ozcyric

hello,

470: F0 7D C6 0F
570: F0 7D E6 0F
580: F0 7D E6 07
590: F0 7D E6 01

i removed the cooler and look at the number you mentioned. it is 215-0876184

this is rx 480 8g right? so what is the value for that? (i mean offset 0xD4)

blackCH

hello,

i removed the cooler and look at the number you mentioned. it is 215-0876184

this is rx 480 8g right? so what is the value for that? (i mean offset 0xD4)

215-0876184 (RX480) >>>> F0 7D C6 07

ozcyric

215-0876184 (RX480) >>>> F0 7D C6 07
yea I tried that. in fact I tried all of them. non works, this is very strange. I got blackscreen with any of them except the original one and compatible ones (which non of them works with macos)

blackCH

yea I tried that. in fact I tried all of them. non works, this is very strange. I got blackscreen with any of them except the original one and compatible ones (which non of them works with macos)
Are you fixing the bios CRC checksum before flashing it?

ozcyric

Are you fixing the bios CRC checksum before flashing it?
yes of course. I mean i'm opening with polaris tool and do a new save and then burn it. you mean that right? after that it doesn't warn about crc anyway..

blackCH

yes of course. I mean i'm opening with polaris tool and do a new save and then burn it. you mean that right? after that it doesn't warn about crc anyway..
Yes, thats right...

I guess the method is not as universal as I thought....

Does the card give no output at all, or you get black screen when booting macos?

ozcyric

Yes, thats right...

I guess the method is not as universal as I thought....

Does the card give no output at all, or you get black screen when booting macos?
not just mac os, doesn't even show bios screen or windows or anything at all. Altho from the hdd light I can clearly understand it actually boots up into the windows.

if I use igpu and boot into windows and open up device manager, windows tells me that the card reported some errors and stopped working with an exclamation mark on the device icon. however fans of the card are working with normal speed (if I brick it with a random bios they work max speed most of the time).

blackCH

not just mac os, doesn't even show bios screen or windows or anything at all. Altho from the hdd light I can clearly understand it actually boots up into the windows.

if I use igpu and boot into windows and open up device manager, windows tells me that the card reported some errors and stopped working with an exclamation mark on the device icon. however fans of the card are working with normal speed (if I brick it with a random bios they work max speed most of the time).
You could leave the original bios and try injecting the patched one just for macos, via opencore (with a SSDT file or a device property entry)...

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Sounds like a hardware fault

blackCH

Thank you, i’ll try that later, and if it work i will let you know.
I tryed injecting the bios through OpenCore but it does not work for me. I must say is the first time I try this method so I could be doing something wrong...
I can see the injected data in the IOReg, so that part is fine. But still no kext loaded...I might be missing something.

Flashing the modded BIOS works perfect though (Im not running windows, only macos)

Last edited:

Hector_BR

Good evening everyone....
Just for the record in the post, here's the screenshot of the performance on MacOS after changing the vbios made by me, with the help of the teachings of "blackCH"...:):):)
Lexindar RX580 2048sp 8GB @ Asus-ROG-Strix-RX580-8G-Gaming
ASIC 215-0910038, Hynix H5GC8H24AJR
1xDVI, 1xDP, 1xHDMI
:clap::clap::clap:

Attachments

• Lexindar_MT_OGL.png
    Lexindar_MT_OGL.png
    233.1 KB · Views: 211

teu.rio

Got some good news!

So, after trying multiple BIOSes and getting nowhere I kind of give up on that approach. I guess the main problem with flashing different bios blindly is that the physical video ports configuration is different, so unless you find a bios that has the same config as your card you'll end up with (partially or totally) no video output.

With that in mind the most logic path to follow would be to modify the original bios that came with the card, by editing the particular values that makes the board to be seen as a 580, 570 or whatever model it is seen as... and of course keeping everything else (port configs, memory timings, etc)

On my quest I came upon this thread that explain the RX470/480 conversion procedure:

Veja o post nº 3, onde eles explicam como editar uma string de 4 bytes no offset 0xD4 (que eu acredito ser um valor trocado de byte DCBA little-endian contendo o ID do dispositivo). Para cada modelo RX a string é diferente:

O que fiz foi fazer backup da bios que veio com meu chinês 580 2048SP, abrir em um editor hexadecimal e olhar o offset 0xD4. Obteve este valor:

F0 FD E6 0F

O que não é nenhuma das opções acima, como você pode ver. Eu continuei a substituir a string pela do 570:

F0 FD E6 0F >>> F0 7D E6 0F

Depois disso, editei o valor do ID do dispositivo. O ID de desenvolvedor original no cartão era 6FDF e precisava ser alterado para 67DF. Então, procuramos por esta string:

02 10 DF 6F

E substitua por:

02 10 DF 67

No meu caso, houve apenas duas ocorrências disso em todo o binário.

Após as modificações, o BIOS CRC precisa ser corrigido. Para isso, precisamos abrir o BIOS modificado com o utilitário Polaris BIOS Editor. Ao abrir o arquivo, ele vai reclamar que o CRC está errado e dizer que você precisa salvar o arquivo para corrigi-lo. Eu apenas salvei e pronto.

Flashed o binário resultante no cartão e agora está funcionando 100% com o macOS! Ainda preciso testá-lo no uso diário, mas até agora consegui cerca de 44k no teste de metal do Geekbench 5, aceleração total da GUI e várias telas!

Observe que estou usando um programador CH341a com clipes conectados diretamente ao chip do BIOS.

Acredito que esta poderia ser uma solução para colocar a maioria das placas RX580 2048SP funcionando no macOS.

View attachment 295768View attachment 295771

Saúde!
Which hex editor did you use?

Good evening everyone....
Just for the record in the post, here's the screenshot of the performance on MacOS after changing the vbios made by me, with the help of the teachings of "blackCH"...:):):)
Lexindar RX580 2048sp 8GB @ Asus-ROG-Strix-RX580-8G-Gaming
ASIC 215-0910038, Hynix H5GC8H24AJR
1xDVI, 1xDP, 1xHDMI
:clap::clap::clap:
Can I have a copy of your vbios?

Hector_BR

Which hex editor did you use?

Can I have a copy of your vbios?
For sure...:)
I use HxD hex editor -->> https://mh-nexus.de/en/hxd/
Attached is my modified vbios version..
Remembering that, in my case, the specifications of the board are:
ASIC is 215-0910038 (RX580)
8GB Hynix H5GC8H24AJR-R2C
1xHDMI, 1xDP, 1xDVI
In this version, I only modified the IDs.... all clocks, voltages, fan settings, etc... are as in the original vbios of the board.
With these small changes, the card works perfectly on Windows, Linux, and MacOS...:clap::clap:

My board is -->> https://tinyurl.com/y63h5byn

Attachments

• LEXINDAR-RX580-2048sp-8GB@ASUS-RX580-67DF-8GB-Hynix-H5GC8H24AJ.zip
    110.6 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:

jocsmister

Hello friends!

I'll tell you my experience with a Veineda RX580 2048SP 8GB!

After testing more than 50 different RX570 bios - many even left my vga a brick but I recovered with an external recorder - I found that the only bios that make the video outputs work in hackintosh are the Asus RX570 8GB bios, however they do not booted into Windows, got error 43.

Also, when activating UEFI, there was no video again and I had to reset the PC bios to go back to CSM Legacy.

That's when after studying a little more I learned to modify the bios with the Hexadecimal HxD editor and modifying the plate ID and it worked, but also no video when activating UEFI.

I decided to change the bios GOP block for a 1.6 suggested by the InsanelyMac forum and bingo, UEFI gave video and it worked in hackintosh, but Windows the card would not go up, and still with error 43 in the device manager.

Looking for the error 43 resolve to follow a tip of trying to use the App AMD/ATI Pixel Clock Patcher and bingo, the board went up in windows too!

Legal!

Thank you all for your help and may my experience help others in need!

I just didn't find out why when activating the Above 4G decoding in the bios the card to give video. It must be because of the BIOS modification!

In the original bios I activate this option and it works normally in windows but with no chance of working in hackintosh due to the ID 6FDF.

Thank you all! Sorry for the bad english!

Attachments

• Tela1.png
    Tela1.png
    134.7 KB · Views: 137
  • Tela2.png
    Tela2.png
    274.1 KB · Views: 131

Phutbol

Got some good news!

So, after trying multiple BIOSes and getting nowhere I kind of give up on that approach. I guess the main problem with flashing different bios blindly is that the physical video ports configuration is different, so unless you find a bios that has the same config as your card you'll end up with (partially or totally) no video output.

With that in mind the most logic path to follow would be to modify the original bios that came with the card, by editing the particular values that makes the board to be seen as a 580, 570 or whatever model it is seen as... and of course keeping everything else (port configs, memory timings, etc)

On my quest I came upon this thread that explain the RX470/480 conversion procedure:

See post nr 3, where they explain how to edit a 4 byte string at offset 0xD4 (which I believe is a little-endian DCBA byte swapped value containing the device ID). For each RX model the string is different:

What I did was backup the bios that came with my Chinese 580 2048SP, open it on a hex editor and look at offset 0xD4. Got this value:

F0 FD E6 0F

Which is none of the above, as you can see. I proceeded to replace the string with the one for the 570:

F0 FD E6 0F >>> F0 7D E6 0F

Following this I edited the device ID value. The original dev ID on the card was 6FDF and it needed to be changed to 67DF. So, we look for this string:

02 10 DF 6F

And replace it with:

02 10 DF 67

In my case there were only two occurrences of this in the whole binary.

After the modifications the BIOS CRC needs to be fixed. For that we need to open the modified bios with Polaris BIOS Editor utility. Upon opening the file, it will complain the CRC is wrong and tell you need to save the file to fix it. I Just save it and that's it.

Flashed the resulting binary into the card and its now running 100% with macOS! I still need test it in everyday use but so far I got about 44k in Geekbench 5 metal test, full GUI acceleration and multiple screens!

Notice that Im using a CH341a programmer with clips attached directly to the BIOS chip.

I believe this could be a solution to get most of the RX580 2048SP cards out there working under macOS.

View attachment 295768View attachment 295771

Cheers!

Hi. I just joined to reply and get your thoughts on this. I tried to follow your example above. I have an MSI RX 580 Armor SP 8GB (2048) which wasnt showing in MacOs (Ventura) via an eGPU enclosure on a Mac Mini (2018). Didnt realise of course until after getting the card that there were 2 versions and only 2340 works natively.

I've never seen a hex editor before so I just muddled around using the 'find' function until I found the F0 FD E6 0F (2048) string and replaced with the 570 string as you said. I also found the same 2 instances of the 02 10 DF 6F dev ID you described and changed it as above, then saved the file and opened/saved in Polaris editor. then flashed the card....

Absolutely nothing on the PC. No video output whatsoever. PC booted as normal and just 2 black screens staring at me. I was able to plug into the onboard video on the PC and get my screens working and had a look at device manager to see if I'd bricked the card but it was recognised in there as an RX 570 and said it was working correctly so I speculated that I must have got part of it right and stuffed something else up but thought I'd give it a go in the Mini to see what it said and at worst I should be able to flash it back to the original bios at go again some other way if need be.

Incredibly (or maybe not) the Mini fired up first time with both screens and recognised the card as an RX570 exactly as intended and hardware acceleration appears to be fully functional. the upgrade was only needed to get past the 1536MB of max system assigned VRAM which is insufficient for some functions in Adobe Lightroom so the fact its an older card is mostly moot.

Seems bizarre that it killed the card as a PC display completely but seems to work perfectly on the Mac. I get its totally different drivers etc but still seems odd.

The card will end its life in the Mini so I'm not inclined to try to fix it but I wonder what might have caused that. I only edited the 3 strings as above??

I'm not expecting a definitive answer but interested to hear any thoughts. I didnt screen shot the GPU-Z outputs but I did notice that the memory type had changed from Hynix to MSI after the flash.

Cheers for the fix.

jocsmister

Hi. I just joined to reply and get your thoughts on this. I tried to follow your example above. I have an MSI RX 580 Armor SP 8GB (2048) which wasnt showing in MacOs (Ventura) via an eGPU enclosure on a Mac Mini (2018). Didnt realise of course until after getting the card that there were 2 versions and only 2340 works natively.

I've never seen a hex editor before so I just muddled around using the 'find' function until I found the F0 FD E6 0F (2048) string and replaced with the 570 string as you said. I also found the same 2 instances of the 02 10 DF 6F dev ID you described and changed it as above, then saved the file and opened/saved in Polaris editor. then flashed the card....

Absolutely nothing on the PC. No video output whatsoever. PC booted as normal and just 2 black screens staring at me. I was able to plug into the onboard video on the PC and get my screens working and had a look at device manager to see if I'd bricked the card but it was recognised in there as an RX 570 and said it was working correctly so I speculated that I must have got part of it right and stuffed something else up but thought I'd give it a go in the Mini to see what it said and at worst I should be able to flash it back to the original bios at go again some other way if need be.

Incredibly (or maybe not) the Mini fired up first time with both screens and recognised the card as an RX570 exactly as intended and hardware acceleration appears to be fully functional. the upgrade was only needed to get past the 1536MB of max system assigned VRAM which is insufficient for some functions in Adobe Lightroom so the fact its an older card is mostly moot.

Seems bizarre that it killed the card as a PC display completely but seems to work perfectly on the Mac. I get its totally different drivers etc but still seems odd.

The card will end its life in the Mini so I'm not inclined to try to fix it but I wonder what might have caused that. I only edited the 3 strings as above??

I'm not expecting a definitive answer but interested to hear any thoughts. I didnt screen shot the GPU-Z outputs but I did notice that the memory type had changed from Hynix to MSI after the flash.

Cheers for the fix.
Extract your bios by GPU-Z and attach it here that I edited it for RX570 and return it!

I made the mod on my Veineda RX580-2048sp-8GB and now it's an RX570-8GB!

Mod is working perfectly on Hackintosh 14.0 Sonoma!

Results:

Geekbench V6

Geekbench V6@OC

Attachments

• Captura de Tela 2023-09-07 às 20.39.21.png
    Captura de Tela 2023-09-07 às 20.39.21.png
    166.9 KB · Views: 94
  • Captura de Tela 2023-09-07 às 20.35.09.png
    Captura de Tela 2023-09-07 às 20.35.09.png
    197.9 KB · Views: 92

Phutbol

Extract your bios by GPU-Z and attach it here that I edited it for RX570 and return it!

I made the mod on my Veineda RX580-2048sp-8GB and now it's an RX570-8GB!

Mod is working perfectly on Hackintosh 14.0 Sonoma!

Results:

Geekbench V6

Geekbench V6@OC

Edited bios attached. Original unedited bios also attached for your reference.

the Geekbench numbers are below also. A little lower than yours but looks like you are running a beefier processor.

As per previous post the mac mini sees it as an 8GB RX 570 and it works perfectly on Mac Ventura (not a hackintosh), it just doesnt output video on a pc but not an issue at all given its application so no intention to try to re-flash the bios. Happy with it as is, Just thought it was interesting that its a brick on a PC but perfectly in order on a Mac.

Attachments

• MSI RX 580 2048 bios - MODIFIED - FINAL.rom
    256 KB · Views: 80
  • MSI RX 580 2048 bios (original backup).rom
    256 KB · Views: 73

jocsmister

Edited bios attached. Original unedited bios also attached for your reference.

the Geekbench numbers are below also. A little lower than yours but looks like you are running a beefier processor.

As per previous post the mac mini sees it as an 8GB RX 570 and it works perfectly on Mac Ventura (not a hackintosh), it just doesnt output video on a pc but not an issue at all given its application so no intention to try to re-flash the bios. Happy with it as is, Just thought it was interesting that its a brick on a PC but perfectly in order on a Mac.

Hello friend,

Follows modified bios for RX570 with EFI OK - GOP-1.67-Updated

I also sent one with Over 1300/2050 for you to test!
Here on my it worked very well!

Please try it and let me know if it worked!

Attachments

• MSI RX 580 2048 bios (mod-gop.1.67.efi.ok).rom
    256 KB · Views: 58
  • MSI RX 580 2048 bios (mod+over).rom
    256 KB · Views: 55

Phutbol

Hello friend,

Follows modified bios for RX570 with EFI OK - GOP-1.67-Updated

I also sent one with Over 1300/2050 for you to test!
Here on my it worked very well!

Please try it and let me know if it worked!
Hi again,

Thanks for the files but I am going to leave the card as is. I am firmly of the view 'if it aint broken, don't fix it' and since its doing exactly what it should in the Mac mini I am going to leave it exactly as it is.

Thanks again.

pswers

Help edit my bios, when I change the data in the bios, my cpu-z shows incorrect data. I used different editors, but nothing has changed. My card "AMD Radeon RX580 2048SP" with a chip 215-0910052. It has one DVI, one HDMI and one DP port.

исправить биос.gif
нет исправления bios.gif

Attachments

• bios.rar
    107.9 KB · Views: 60

jocsmister

Help edit my bios, when I change the data in the bios, my cpu-z shows incorrect data. I used different editors, but nothing has changed. My card "AMD Radeon RX580 2048SP" with a chip 215-0910052. It has one DVI, one HDMI and one DP port.

View attachment 318444View attachment 318446
Hello friend,

Follow modified bios for RX570 with GOP-1.67-Updated (Functional EFI)

Also included is the AMD-ATI Pixel Clock Patcher application to validate your card driver with the new bios.

Please try it and let me know if it works!

I await your return.

Attachments

• New-Bios-Mod.rar
    261.9 KB · Views: 123